Create Account

Armada Charter: Halkias and d'Alcott

1766 Words - x2 Offseason/draft bonus - 50/50 split of profit between @Bongo and @KenitohMenara

It is said that the road to glory is paved with sacrifice. True heroes are created by adversity and there is no point in committing yourself to anything unless it is going to be a challenge. As we all know, life is never predictable and just when we think we know all the ins and outs, life throws new curveballs at us. How you respond to those curve balls we define who you are as a person and make your ultimate triumph all the sweeter. For two particular Anchorage Sophomores, they know this lesson all too well. From day one of their journeys, Raphael d’Alcott and Stavros Halkias have faced constant adversity. Going up in countries where ice hockey was not a popular sport, often times training themselves to get stronger at their sport and both players were looked over in the SMJHL entry draft. Despite all that happened, both players overcame all challenges put before them, signed free agent contracts with the Armada and have invaluable experience in a professional league, leading to their moment of ultimate triumph when they both were drafted by SHL teams in the most recent draft. With both players heading to the Edmonton Blizzard and the Los Angeles Panthers respectively, Raphael and Stavros now have a new daunting task placed before them, to become key contributors on the Armada squad as they both look to play together on the new second line. With the new season coming soon, the two players in question reflect on the last season and their future in the Armada.

Stavros and Raphael both had mixed opinions on the last season. The Armada finished 5th in the SMJHL and suffered a disappointing showing in the playoffs, getting swept in 4 games by the Vancouver Whalers. It was not a good look for a franchise still searching for its first four star cup in Anchorage. While there were plenty of valid reasons why the Armada failed to make it far in the playoffs but both Raphael and Stavros believed that this wouldn’t be the case in the upcoming season:

“There's no question that this past season was lacklustre to say the least.” Stavros said “Our Armada finished 5th in the SMJHL and we were promptly swept by the Vancouver Whalers. However, our ragtag group of rookies (half of whom were undrafted) exceeded expectations. Let's face it, on paper, the Armada didn't look like a force to be reckoned with half of the roster were rookies. After fifty-four games, seasoned veterans such as Eka Van Otter, Cloutier, Tony Ford, Xena have influenced us rookies - not to mention, we've received nothing but praise and encouragement from our cohesive locker room lead by an outstanding GM.”

Raphael echoed Stavros statements, believe that the Anchorage will be in the higher in the standings this season.
“Obviously, we were all disappointed with the last season but I think we had to go through that sort of pain. You can’t expect to dress 8 rookies and expect them to win from the outset, no matter how good they are it just isn’t going to happen. Now we are more experienced, we’ve all been through a season and now we look to take what we have learned and move forward this year. We should be near the top of the SMJHL this year.”

During the offseason, Stavros spent his time with fellow british skaters in the World Junior Championships, where the british isles did themselves proud by earning the bronze medal. Raphael, while invited to team canada tryouts didn’t make the roster, though this was less his own play and rather a lot of already existing team canada players were taking one last stab at WJC. It was a bad time for rookies all around in time canada but it turned out well as Canada crushed the USA in the final match to take the coveted gold medal. Now with both players back in Anchorage and are back in training camp. They both reflected about how they had to step up this year.

“Some players may graduate to the SHL, so, it's up to us rookies - well, sophomores - to up the effort and lead as a unit. Let's take a look at the numbers: The Armada had NINE total rookies playing at least one game this year - more than any other team. Rookies such as Victor Toeman and Patrick Perry Jr. didn't quite work out, but 6" overall pick Elijah Jones should fill the void left by PPJ - not to mention Centrenan Jake Pameau, a 2nd round pick - should more than fill the very small shoes of Vic Toeman.” - Starvos Halkias

“We’ve got to lead the team this year. We still got guys like Cloutier around but we need to step up. Not just Stavros, not just me but every single rookie that is still on the team. Luckily guys like Gabriel (Johnson) who are looking to step up and get a lot of points. I’m right there with them, because I want to make this a big season and score a lot of goals. I want to bring the cup to Anchorage and I know everybody who is still here feels the same way.” - Raphael d’Alcott

By “everybody who is still here” Raphael is referring to the 9 rookies that were signed by Anchorage in their mass rebuild. Out of all of those that started, 6 are still remaining and look to continue into major roles this year. It does speak to the rather brutal nature of the league that some players have essentially fallen off the map after starting out. The ones that have made it through this season are now loyal to the Anchorage mission of getting the cup. For Stavros and Raphael, who didn’t have the safety net of the draft to protect them and had to work harder in order to get their new contracts with the Armada, they know the struggle to keep up with their drafted peers. However their persistence looks to be paying off as now they both are heading to the 2nd line of the Anchorage team alongside fellow undrafted player, Jonas Larsen. Forming the undrafted line, these three immediately fell in sync with each other as Stavros explains:

“The seven other rookies DID in fact work out. This can be interpreted as evidence that The Anchorage Armada are in a better position now than last year. I, Stavros Halkias posted 16 points in 50 games - all while playing on the third line with little power play minutes. This season, I've asked for more minutes and more opportunity on special teams. My plan is to stay consistent, stay active, and not taper off, like last season. - for context, I scored my first 10 points in 15 games - the remaining 6 came in 35 games - an unacceptable pace. In order for this season to go as planned, I will need to depend on my linemates. I didn't ask to be paired with fellow sophomores Raphael D'Alcott and Jonas Larsen, but GM Max Brannagan must've been reading my mind. Jonas Larsen has amazing upside for scoring potential - many a time, he was stuck on the fourth line. He still mustered a respectable 12 points. D'Alcott is a speedy sniper who will blend nicely with my playmaking abilities. d'Alcott has made adjustments over the offseason that'll prove beneficial. With two scoring wingers between a playmaking centre, our top 6 is rounded out nicely.Being undrafted really leaves you with a chip on your shoulder. My line mates d’Alcott and Larsen were also undrafted, so it gives us something to bond over. I think after a season of playing, we’re over it. We’ve proven that we’re here to stay, and that we’re a legitimate threat. I think the leagues view on undrafted players will change once they see what our group can achieve.”

These three players are looking to set the SMJHL on fire this upcoming season. Even though they managed to get drafted high by SHL teams, they are still those all encompassing lingering doubts about them. Can they really achieve anything at the major level? I mean if they could they would have been drafted before hand right? These are questions that this line has always grappled with from day one and now all they want is to prove the entire world wrong. When these comments were brought up to them in their interview session, Raphael seemingly couldn’t contain himself as he leaned forward to answer the question.

“Every single person on this line has been doubted their entire lives. We grew up in countries where hockey was not a major sport or even seen as anything special by a lot of people. Both Stavros and I have been doubted for 14 years and people will continue to doubt us tomorrow and the day after that. You want to know what the best way to respond to those people who think we can’t do it? By winning and winning well. Anchorage is set to win big next season so keep your microphones and cameras on standby, because the Armada is making a big run at the four star cup this year. The only thing that is truly stopping us now is ourselves, we are bigger, stronger and faster than we were before and we want to prove our draft teams right for selecting us.”

Speaking of the four star cup, with the amount of sophmore talent that was now filling the anchorage roster and given what they were able to achieve with what little they had last year, the Armada should be considered a contender going forward. Stavros finished the interview by saying this about the cup:

“As for the four star cup, I genuinely believe we’re a contender this season. We have depth up and down three rotating lines, a few good rookies and a couple of seasoned vets to keep us grounded. Vancouver was really our biggest test - we played them 9 times and lost all 9. We need to figure out a way to beat every team this season - if you can’t find a way to beat every team, there’s no way you’re winning the cup.”

These undrafted boys seem confident enough but only time will tell if they can truly walk the walk. No matter what, the Armada is shaping up to be a fun team to watch this season. It's the dream of every hockey player to make their towns proud and bring them home glory and with that level of commitment from them, it's hard to doubt the Anchorage Undrafted line.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2019, 02:02 PM by Bongo.)

Excellent  Armada

Good shit. We gonna show everyone what's up next ssn Armada Armada

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]