Create Account

PT 5 - Lessons Learned

Every hockey season is filled with highs and lows.  Choose two games your team has played this season-one where things went badly and one where things went well--and tell us why you think that was the case.

Written option: At least 200 words. Must include a clear indication of which games and at least 3 stats from each game.

Graphics option: Create an infographic highlighting the things that went well vs the things that didn't. Must include team logos and at least 3 stats from each game.

Reward

4 TPE for doing the thing.

Only S48 SMJHL Rookies are eligible for this PT.

You cannot claim TPE for this PT until a post is made in the global claim thread.

Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for Welfare claims.

Deadline
July 14, 10 AM MDT

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

[Image: scivMlX.png]

[Image: KIHXpPg.png]
[Image: det.png]

[Image: pxO2PYw.png] [Image: q95r3bg.png]

It’s game 203 of the 48th season of the SMJHL and 6:47 into the game Elijah Jones manages to put away his 7th goal of the season with the assistance of Johnny Sins and Victor Toeman. The Armada pulled out the victory in this game. Thanks to Elijah Jones setting the tone early, the team kept a high scoring pace up. Jones was a +1 plus/minus and when having to take the draw for faceoffs he was ½, a nice 50%. This game showed that when Elijah Jones shows up on time, the Armada can really pull out a great game. That was a successful game for the Armada, but it isn’t always like that. In Game 192 of season 48, Elijah Jones was absent from the scoresheet, as was most of the Armada. Spencer MacLean found the lone goal for the Armada. Elijah Jones had 0 shots and was 0 for 1 in faceoffs. He saw 15:20 minutes of ice time which is slightly below his average ice time of 15:45. This game marked a low for Jones and the Armada who are trying to rise through the seeds of the league. This poor performance from Jones and the team led to their first loss in 8 games.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019, 09:18 PM by Nokazoa. Edit Reason: Proofread with Fresh Eys )

Jean-Paul Boivin has had a less-than stellar performance during his time on the ice. In his ten total games, an average Boivin game could be called poor one league round. Looking at Boivin's latest game, Game 209, he put up zero shots on goal, played less than five minutes on the ice, less than his average of 5.5 minutes per game, and made zero hits. Now he is a power forward and has expressed a willingness to become more involved on the offense, so he appears to be working on it. However, at his current state, he is outclassed by most of his other peers, but, hey, he is young. I know I am ragging on the kid, what with his +/- of -2, but you can see that when he does connect on his hits, he becomes an actual benefit on the ice. In Game 177, Boivin was actually able to connect two hits on the Scarecrow's players, half of his season total so far. Both hits resulting in a loose puck. He also played some defense, intercepting a pass by Brusk in the second period. Now, did this help the game at all? Well, in both of these games, the Whalers lost, and I would be lying to say Boivin showing out was most the appreciable thing in that game. In his six minutes on the ice, he still had zero shots for the game, and he did, in fact, lose the one face-off he participated in after Kerr was ejected. Boivin is at a, hopefully, low point in his career. I don't think it will be that way for long, but he needs more time to develop and get more ice time.

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

The Bad: Game 10 Vancouver Whalers  Whalers  vs St. Louis Scarecrows  Scarecrows

It was a rough start to the season for the Scarecrows and one of the games that summed it up was the 4-2 loss to the Whalers. The first thing that jumps up is the shot differential; 31 for the Whalers vs 18 for the Scarecrows. Want really stands out is the Scarecrows only having 3 shots in the first period, while having the first power play chance in the 5 minutes into the game. That leads to penalties, St. Louis lost all discipline after the first period taking 2 penalties in the 2nd and 3 in the 3rd. Compared to Vancouver who had 3 penalties all game. Next stat to look at is how well the teams did on their man advantage, Whalers were 2/6 while the Scarecrows were 0/3. That doesn't even tell the whole story while the Whalers were able to take their chances on their power plays the Crows were struggling to get shots off on theirs. Nothing went right for us in this game, even though we pride ourselves in being aggressive and physical Vancouver match us in hits while staying out of the box a lot less. But things would turn up for the Crows as in a few short days they added a deadly scoring Center from Russia.   

The Good: Game 172 Anaheim Outlaws  Outlaws  vs St. Louis Scarecrows  Scarecrows

This game was a straight up blood bath as the Scarecrows beat the Outlaws 6-0. Goals came from my player Jakub Bruchevski x2, Nicolas Flemming x2, Izem Aboiye, and Nicolaj Muller, another stat that tells how dominate the Crow's offense was this game is the shot totals, a whopping 52 for St. Louis compared to a respectable 27 for Anaheim. It wasn't just the offense that came to play but the defense as well. Not only did the Scarecrows not give up a goal but they were the vastly more physical team out hitting the Outlaws 12 to 21. In fact the Crow's had 8 players with more then 1 hit compared to the Outlaws 2. One stat that didn't go in the favor of St. Louis was face offs, Anaheim won 56% of the face offs but considering a lot of them were in their own zone it didn't help them offensively. 

(428 words)

[Image: DrbPYHV.png]   [Image: B4x6AQm.png]
Scarecrows Russia Wolfpack

Rest In Peace Dangel

1st SHL Goal - S52 Game 1 vs Tampa 3. New England Wolfpack , Jakub Bruchevski 1 (Eko Van Otter 1, Delver Fudgeson 2) at 8:10

Scarecrows Platoon Russia

[Image: F4iUWyS.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2019, 03:18 PM by Tate.)

The Good 
Raptors (6) vs Armada (1)

Analysis: When this game began it was the Armada's to lose and boy did they ever do just that. The edge for this game was the never quit mentality that emanates the Raptors team. The Colorado Raptors have had an up and down season with a record of 14-22-7 but one thing that has maintained is there never die attitude when it comes to effort level. It would be this strength that would propel the Raptors past the Armada with 3 goals in the 2nd period, and would continue with another 3 goals in the 3rd period. You can point to game 93 as an excellent showcase of the Raptors chemistry and the stats support it with a total of 30 shots for the Raptors compared to a measly 15 by the Armada.

The Bad
Scarecrows  (6) vs Raptors (2)

Analysis: If there was a single game you could point to for the Raptors where they showed up both unprepared and undisciplined this was it. From the first period the lack of discipline play was evident with the Raptors taking three minor penalties, but even worse the Scarecrows were able to score on two of those three penalty kills. The first period itself was a complete mess and the Raptors were at a loss for how to defend the Scarecrows attack, allowing a total of 5 goals to get past netminder Alexander Thorstrom. By the time the game came to an end you could see that one team came with the energy to play, and that was the Scarecrows who finished the night with 31 shots compared to the Raptors 16.

[Image: p82ugau.png]

THE GOOD
LETHBRIDGE VERSUS COLORADO

This game is pretty much self-explanatory, the Raptors like any team in the SMJHL love when they get a shutout, and that is exactly what happened here. In a game where the goalies were neck-in-neck for shots on goal (29 for Boox, 27 for Nasty), Booth proved to be the better goalie in this bout and also helped carry Colorado to their amazing win. A lot of stats stand out for this game, for instance all four goals were scored by different players, or that 7 players got points during that four goal game, coming in the form of goals and assists, and three players had 2 or more points which is very impressive for a four-goal game. Overall, this game was easily one of our best.

THE BAD
HALIFAX VERSUS COLORADO

So I would say there is probably WORSE, however this one was fairly bad for a number of reasons. Surprisingly enough, the two teams played fairly well together on their penalty kill, and really didn't score on the powerplay at all. That being said, the 5v5 even strength game is where Colorado failed and it wasn't really Booth's fault, who went 26 for 29, it was just the team in general that didn't produce enough. Colorado produced 27 shots, but only 1 goal, so 1 on 26...that's just terrible odds. The most FUN statistic however is that from the three goals, nine different players got a point, meaning that there was no players with multi-point nights, which is impressive.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019, 03:13 AM by ontanis.)

Code:
402 words

The good game

Whalers v. raiders

Game 119 of the SMJHL S48. Vancouver Whalers vs Halifax Raiders. Ah yes, I’d like to call this game my break-out game of the season. I think if there’s any highlight reels ever of me, it should just be this game and I’d be proud of it. Everything just clicked that evening. I had 1 goal, 2 assists and a +/- rating of +2. Also, I dished out 4 hits and blocked a shot. I felt that everything just clicked for me that evening, the stars were aligned. Also, we hit more than Halifax (23 hits to 18), we were better at penalty killing (2 on 2 attempts for us against 0 on 2 attempts) and we made 1 of our power play opportunities work. And it's always a good thing when you don't get penalized as much. We only had 4 PIM against Halifax 8 PIM. Overall, just a good team effort that was even better for me. I even got my first first-star award for the game. I’m just hoping I can make something happen out of this game.

The bad game

Raptors v. Whalers

Game 131 of the SMJHL S48. Colorado Raptors vs Vancouver Whalers. It should have been a special occasion for home fans to see the Whaler blue and green boys get the W. But it wasn’t the case. Especially for me, this game was a disaster. I had a -2 rating for the game and was on the ice for a lot of third period. I was on the ice when Colorado made it 1-0 and 3-1. To open and close your shifts with a goal is a hard pill to swallow mentality-wise. Other than that, my only other action that was deemed worthy of going into the statistical columns was a lone blocked shot. Yup. 16 minutes and 57 seconds of ice-time and I manage to come up with a -2 rating and a blocked shot. Games like these hurt your soul. Other than that – we just were unlucky and unable to make good on power play situations: we had 4 power play chances and made none of them work. Also, Colorado had 18 hits to our 12, so I guess they were the physical team that evening. It’s a shame that we just couldn’t make our 39 to 32 face-off wins work in any capacity. Just a sad evening for Whalers overall that was ruined by my sorry-ass performance, tough puck-luck and this weird sense of that none of us showed up to play harder tonight.

[Image: ontanis.gif]

[Image: 6by0kBi.png] [Image: YztPk3T.png]
thanks to @Wasty, @Bruins10, @Carpy48 and @iRockstar for the sigs!

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2019, 03:40 PM by BrewskyBoy.)

The Good:
Game 172 - Outlaws Anaheim Outlaws vs. St. Louis Scarecrows Scarecrows
We won this game in dominating fashion, 6-0. We managed to put some serious pressure on Anaheim this entire game and completely peppered their goalie with shots. We tallied a total of 52 shots in this game, with our worst period being the first where we only logged 13 shots. That's right, our worst period we still managed to throw 13 pucks on net. Our penalty kill was flawless in this game, killing off all 4 penalties. We also out-hit the Outlaws by nearly double. Lastly, we were able to get strong contributions from our depth as the third forward line registered 4 points, while the bottom two defensive pairs tallied a total of 3 points.

The Bad:
Game 68 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows vs. Vancouver Whalers Whalers
Conversely, in one of our worst games of the season we were unable to keep the opposition from getting shots on our own goal. Vancouver piled up 37 shots on goal and crushed us 6-1. Our special teams play in this one was truly abysmal. We gave up goals on 3 of the 4 penalty kill chances. On the other end of the ice, we went 0 for 2 on the power play. We did ourselves zero favors early on in the game, as we went down 3-0 in the first period. It's demoralizing to fall behind big so early in the game and it becomes very tough to find the energy and motivation to get back into the game.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png] [Image: UDyqktK.png]

The Good

This game is nearly exactly the type of game every team wishes to go out and play. The Colorado Raptors were a very well disciplined team this game and took 0 penalties which is a useful way to neutralizing a teams offensive tools. To add onto that, the Raptors offence exploded with 6 goals by recieving production from the teams top line, 3rd line, 4th line, and backend. That is a very well balanced offensive attack which is key to having success in the SMJHL. Ontop of that the Raptors played an incredibly sound defensive game by only allowed 15 shots and rookie Knox Booth was able to close the door by saving 14 of 15.

The Bad

Unlike the previous game, this is exactly what you do not want to happen. The Raptors collapsed defensively allowing 6 goals against with 3 coming from the Scarecrows PP unit that went 3/5. They allowed a total of 31 shots while only generating 16 against Sorokin. Thorstrom was forced out of the game allowing 4 on 12 shots and Booth came in only allowing 2 on 19 but unfortunately the damage was done. The offence was dried up with only the top line contributing and the PP going 0/2.

Falcons Canada

[Image: Microsoft-Edge-7-9-2019-9-11-29-PM.png]

[Image: 60043_s.gif]
Player Page                Update Thread 
Thank you to @Wasty and @frithjofr for a couple great sigs!

[Image: OIGAkck.png]

[Image: Q7teVaJ.png]

[Image: leblaVa.gif]
Shoutout to @adamantium for the sig! <3

pbe pt - username squishes

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

PBE PT

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2019, 12:06 AM by Hallsy.)

http://simulationhockey.com/games/smjhl/...L-194.html
This game against the Raptors was one of the worst games of the season for Montreal as they got yeeted on 6-1. They outshot the raptor 34-17 but that game, they couldn't score and their goaltender could not stop the puck. It was a defeating game because they outworked and outplayed colorado but they got corsi's or STHS's a enjoyed the big fat ugly L that they received by the hands of the raptors. It was one of the worst loses of the season and it was a wake up call for the team as they needed to be more prepared and execute their game plan more. , Emeka Valentine-Okoli and Bo Kane scored 2 goals in this game and embarrassed us.

http://simulationhockey.com/games/smjhl/...L-230.html

Game 230 was a great game for the Militia a sthey yeeted on the Knights 6-2. They outplayed them, out battle the,, and work their assess off to get the victory for montreal, itwas only a couple of games after their 6-1 defeat against the raptors, so it was something to show the fans that they arent a bad team and that they need to play better if they are going to win the four stars cup in the upcoming post-season. My player didn't get a point but we played as a team and we worked hard and we got the victory and thats all what matters at the end of the day.I was also +3 so I was a solid team mate for my team in this victory