Create Account

Kalju comments on PenKnight case

Earlier today PenKnight, a user in SHL released controversial comments about women and women in sports. His comments caused an uproar among the fans and players in the SHL community, discussions are still going on around PenKnight´s comments.

To help and get some perspective on the case, we showed the comments to New England player Ensio Kalju, this is what he had to say:

Picture 1:
[Image: E7YfYrG.png]

EK: I don´t like women - period. Never been a huge fan, feels like we are just too different. So to be completely honest, PenKnight makes a good point there.

Picture 2:
[Image: G4MdWTN.jpg]

EK: I think it continues from the first picture, but once again - hard to argue with the point PK is making there: I don´t like women talking - period. They say that there is time and place for everything, so I´m still pretty much on the same page still with PenKnight.

Picture 3:
[Image: jFfwouS.png]

EK: 100% agree, rap music is not what it used to be. If you listen to rap music of today, it´s not something I want to hear either.

Picture 4:
[Image: 9Yrye2Q.png]

EK: Tough to argue with that, I change the channel all the time for various reasons, is a woman talking in those reasons? Not always, depends on what I´m watching, same with the music comment, I´m not going to listen if it´s something that I don´t like.

Overall, I must say that based on these four pictures - PenKnight makes a lot of sense to me. Unfortunately, the times we live in means that when you say something even somewhat controversial, you might upset few people.

That was Ensio Kalju and his take on the case going on, remains to be seen what will happen in the near future, but if you are interested, you can follow the discussion in simulationhockey.com!

(300)

It's a preference, and his opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion like @PenKnight is entitled to his opinion. Don't make such a big deal about it.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2019, 05:31 PM by bbjygm.)

07-11-2019, 05:25 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote: It's a preference, and his opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion like @PenKnight is entitled to his opinion. Don't make such a big deal about it.

Yeah, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Doesn't mean their opinion is protected against criticism. His opinion just happens to be very sexist, so it's fairly controversial and one can expect people to be mad about it. At first I thought perhaps he was talking about the vocal range of a typical woman's voice is not preferable to him, but it's clearly the case that he doesn't like women talking sports content, which is where the controversy lies.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

07-11-2019, 05:30 PMbbjygm Wrote:
07-11-2019, 05:25 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote: It's a preference, and his opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion like @PenKnight is entitled to his opinion. Don't make such a big deal about it.

Yeah, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Doesn't mean their opinion is protected against criticism. His opinion just happens to be very sexist, so it's fairly controversial and one can expect people to be mad about it. I thought perhaps he was talking about the vocal range of a typical woman's voice is not preferable to him, but it's clearly the case that he doesn't like women talking sports content, which is where the controversy lies.

It may be, but again he is from a different era. So what we might think is sexist is not sexist in his era. And even then his isn't sexist he says they should be entitled to the same jobs, just him watching it might be different  because they are little annoying in his opinion. It's controversial because you guys make it controversial.

07-11-2019, 05:34 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote:
07-11-2019, 05:30 PMbbjygm Wrote: Yeah, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Doesn't mean their opinion is protected against criticism. His opinion just happens to be very sexist, so it's fairly controversial and one can expect people to be mad about it. I thought perhaps he was talking about the vocal range of a typical woman's voice is not preferable to him, but it's clearly the case that he doesn't like women talking sports content, which is where the controversy lies.

It may be, but again he is from a different era. So what we might think is sexist is not sexist in his era. And even then his isn't sexist he says they should be entitled to the same jobs, just him watching it might be different  because they are little annoying in his opinion. It's controversial because you guys make it controversial.
Undecided

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

07-11-2019, 05:30 PMbbjygm Wrote: Yeah, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Doesn't mean their opinion is protected against criticism. His opinion just happens to be very sexist, so it's fairly controversial and one can expect people to be mad about it. I thought perhaps he was talking about the vocal range of a typical woman's voice is not preferable to him, but it's clearly the case that he doesn't like women talking sports content, which is where the controversy lies.

So is Jeffrey Epstein.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

“It’s not sexist because it didn’t used to be sexist” sure is a hell of a take. Does that mean smoking also won’t give you lung cancer because we didn’t used to know it would?

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Upbringing can certainly account for WHY someone is the way they are, but that does not excuse what they think and do. Extreme example, but being brought up as a Nazi doesn't mean any Nazi tendencies later in life are excusable. He's (hopefully) an adult and should be able to distinguish some basic rights and wrongs, and group prejudice is one of those.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget

No, it is controversial because he has shitty opinions rooted in sexism.  He called women hosting hockey shows hookers, called them girls and said it pisses him off when they try to tell him about hockey, and claims that women "invaded" hockey all together.  None of your excuses make this any better, but hey this type of shit doesn't really affect you so why make a big deal out of it?

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Tough to say what is the ´real´ reason, voice plays a part for sure, same with men - not all voices are easy to listen to. Then you can always ask why the person is talking about whatever. Is it because she or he really knows the sport and/or to get more people watching and collect some ´good people´ points because look what we have in the studio!

Here's a related question: is it not racist if someone thinks black announcers are annoying and tunes off any sports channel that has one?

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget

07-11-2019, 05:47 PMbbjygm Wrote:
07-11-2019, 05:34 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote: It may be, but again he is from a different era. So what we might think is sexist is not sexist in his era. And even then his isn't sexist he says they should be entitled to the same jobs, just him watching it might be different  because they are little annoying in his opinion. It's controversial because you guys make it controversial.

Here's a related question: is it not racist if someone thinks black announcers are annoying and tunes off any sports channel that has one?

I wouldn't say it's racist. It's racist if it's because they are black.

07-11-2019, 05:49 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote:
07-11-2019, 05:47 PMbbjygm Wrote: Here's a related question: is it not racist if someone thinks black announcers are annoying and tunes off any sports channel that has one?

I wouldn't say it's racist. It's racist if it's because they are black.

Well, PenKnight's comments are sexist because he doesn't like women talking sports. Because they're women.

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats

Never forget

07-11-2019, 05:42 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: “It’s not sexist because it didn’t used to be sexist” sure is a hell of a take. Does that mean smoking also won’t give you lung cancer because we didn’t used to know it would?

In all fairness - seems like almost everything and anything is going to upset some group of people. Times are different now, I don´t know hold old PK is and where he grew up, but we should not be so quick to judge the older people.

I mean, I disagree and don't have issues with women in sports (I actually generally don't make note of gender in sportscasting), but if you've grown up accustomed to a certain gender dominated trope, change could be uncomfortable.

His opinion shows his unwillingness to adapt for the betterment of equality, but it also doesn't make him a sicko