Create Account

Backyard Baseball League

Thanks @Dangles13 for permission.

Hey everybody! I haven't been around here for a little bit--been busy doing other stuff. Hope everybody's having a good summer. I'm currently recruiting for a league I found about a year ago, the Backyard Baseball League. I joined halfway through season 2, took over a team, and actually won the title. I'll be playing the deciding Game 5 of the Season 3 Backyard World Series on Thursday, and then we'll be ready to start setting up Season 4.

The Backyard Baseball League, as you might've guessed, is Backyard Baseball 2003. Yes, the exact same game that we played in our childhood, the mouse-only Backyard Sports installment. Some talented people have figured out how to manipulate the in-game files and draft every available player (including those generic people you might know by name out of pure nostalgia), create custom schedules, and make playoff files. We all get the same season files for our drafted teams and play the opposing AI; net score takes home the win. If it's still a little confusing, I have a Discord link I could send you (send me a DM at GCool#7179), or you could ask me some questions here.

If you're interested at all, we need 3-4 more people to create a full league of 24. It's really exciting for us as a community, because Season 2 had only 12 people. Our subreddit (r/BackyardBaseball) has grown about 30% just in the time that I've been there. We've been posting weekly recaps of the league, Google Docs full of stats, and just finished voting for our S3 Awards. It's a great, tight-knit community that's basically just as wholesome as the original game.

That's about it from me. I really hope we get some people from here. We already have Joester and @Mavfatha playing in Season 4 (Mav also played in Season 3, so he might be able to attest to how fun it is). A quick disclaimer: you don't have to be good to play. Some people beat the AI by 30+ routinely, while others have a hard time beating the computer on Hard difficulty. It's more about fun, and if we grow to 24 we might do upper and lower divisions to make it a little more level.

Have a good one,
GC

Wish i knew how baseball works. :(

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

07-17-2019, 05:33 PMSwegButthole Wrote: Wish i knew how baseball works. :(

Hopefully I'll start streaming in a few months to teach you! Wink

07-17-2019, 09:32 PMGCool Wrote:
07-17-2019, 05:33 PMSwegButthole Wrote: Wish i knew how baseball works. :(

Hopefully I'll start streaming in a few months to teach you! Wink

Yeeee boi ill watch!

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

What he said, it's been a great blast of nostalgia to get back into this despite the fact that they make me use BYB 2003 instead of the far superior 2001 version. I was the worst player in the league last season but have learned a lot and on the plus side get to draft 1OA this season and hopefully do a lot better. Really only a time commitment of however long it takes you to play 1 game per week as well.

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2019, 11:29 AM by GCool.)

07-18-2019, 10:37 AMMavfatha Wrote: despite the fact that they make me use BYB 2003 instead of the far superior 2001 version

Just as a point of order to the SHL community, Mav's right. 2001 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2003. Alas, neither of us make league decisions.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

How does one participate in this?

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

07-18-2019, 11:59 AMWhikadoodle Wrote: Yes. Yes. Yes.

Shoot me a DM my dude! Smile

Just so everyone knows, I think we're sitting at around 24 right now. If we get up to 26 or 28, we will probably move to splitting the league in half and having A/B leagues ... so the champions and elite guys like myself and @Psanchez55 will play in A, whereas those who are not as familiar with Backyard Baseball will play in B. Even less stress re: learning the game for a whole season.

Hey all,

We could really use a few more owners -- we're a few games into season 5 now. There are two leagues to choose from - Lulu (casual) and Paste (competitive). At least one slot available in both leagues. Lulu uses Backyard Baseball 2003 and Paste uses Backyard Baseball 2001 (ROMs are readily available for both).

Any questions, feel free to DM me. We've had a few SHL people make some noise in the league, including @SDCore and @Eggy216 . Smile

Annual bump, the Season 5 Playoffs are underway. I might start streaming them, in which case I'll provide the link here.

We are going to have quite a few completely new owners in Season 6, so if you've ever been concerned about getting the rust off or not being very good, this'd be a golden opportunity to get into the league.

As always, please reach out if you have any questions I can answer. I got ROMs and Mikey Thomas is overrated as fuck

08-31-2020, 11:03 AMGCool Wrote: Annual bump, the Season 5 Playoffs are underway. I might start streaming them, in which case I'll provide the link here.

We are going to have quite a few completely new owners in Season 6, so if you've ever been concerned about getting the rust off or not being very good, this'd be a golden opportunity to get into the league.

As always, please reach out if you have any questions I can answer. I got ROMs and Mikey Thomas is overrated as fuck

What's the commitment like to the league? Like how much time a day/week should I expect to have for it

[Image: Bk1689.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-31-2020, 11:23 AM by GCool.)

08-31-2020, 11:18 AMbk1689 Wrote:
08-31-2020, 11:03 AMGCool Wrote: Annual bump, the Season 5 Playoffs are underway. I might start streaming them, in which case I'll provide the link here.

What's the commitment like to the league? Like how much time a day/week should I expect to have for it

Draft - done in "real time", with a clock that stops around 10pm PST and resumes at 9am next morning, clock is about 4 hours ... so really low stress there
Games - one game a week, 14 games in a season. Typically we let people play ahead of time and just save their results (it works this way because everyone plays on their own file). Games can take from 20 minutes to a few hours if you're running up the score, but it's never more than one per week until playoffs. In that case, the rounds are 3/3/5 games, and typically we want the whole round to be completed during the week.
Other - obviously the social aspect is entirely optional, we have a discord that has a few regulars and new people dropping in all the time

Hope that helps!

08-31-2020, 11:22 AMGCool Wrote:
08-31-2020, 11:18 AMbk1689 Wrote: What's the commitment like to the league? Like how much time a day/week should I expect to have for it

Draft - done in "real time", with a clock that stops around 10pm PST and resumes at 9am next morning, clock is about 4 hours ... so really low stress there
Games - one game a week, 14 games in a season. Typically we let people play ahead of time and just save their results (it works this way because everyone plays on their own file). Games can take from 20 minutes to a few hours if you're running up the score, but it's never more than one per week until playoffs. In that case, the rounds are 3/3/5 games, and typically we want the whole round to be completed during the week.
Other - obviously the social aspect is entirely optional, we have a discord that has a few regulars and new people dropping in all the time

Hope that helps!

Id be interested in giving this a try then. Discord is bk1689#2437

[Image: Bk1689.gif]