Create Account

World Junior Championship Consistency
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2019, 04:22 PM by Blastmeaway.)

Season - Simmer - # of Games per team in Round Robin - Groupings - # of teams - Length of round robin
S38 - caltroit_red_flames - 5 - 2 - 12 - No Clear information in the thread
S39 - caltroit_red_flames - 3 - 2 - 8 - No Clear information in the thread
S40 - Carbine - 6 - 2 - 8 - No Clear information in the thread
S41 - hockeyfan - 10 - 1 - 6 - No Clear information in the thread
S42 - hockeyfan - 10 - 2 - 8 - No Clear information in the thread
S43 - Hockeyfan - 14 - 2 - 8 - No clear information in the thread
S44 - Slashacm - 14 - 2 - 8 - 3 sims over 3 days
S45 - Slashacm - 18 - 2 - 10 - 3 sims over 3 days
S46 - Slashacm - 27 - 2 - 10 - 3 sims over 3 days
S47 - Flareon4043 - 26/27 - 2 - 10 - 5 sims over 5 days
S48 - Slashacm - 14 - 2 - 10 - 2 sims 12 hours apart

Number of Games & Games played vs Grouping:
Going to start this with a breakdown season by season:
S38 - 1 game against each group opponent
S39 - 1 game against each group opponent
S40 - 2 games against each group opponent
S41 - 2 games against each group opponent/everyone (only 1 grouping this season)
S42 - 2 games against each group opponent + 1 game against each opposite group opponent
S43 - 2 games against everyone
S44 - 2 games against everyone
S45 - 2 games against everyone
S46 - 3 games against everyone
S47 - 3 games against everyone, except for teams World and Canada who each played 1 less overall game?
S48 - 2 games against everyone

So these two go hand in hand. As we can see, since the rebirth of the tournament the total amount of games played has been all over the board. Now i recognize that we have had different numbers of teams each season and this should naturally shift the number of games played, however the difference shouldn't be 6 games for 8 teams or 27 for 10 teams. There is a clear consistent pattern that is followed as of lately, however this isn't the path that is closest to International play. As the IIHF does at all levels of international play IRL, so does the main IIHF tourney here on the site, teams played a set number of games against only opponents in their pool. My Suggestion? No mater how many teams we vary between, it always is an even number historically, have a set 2 or 3 games against in round robin per tournament. That would look something like:

# of teams - # of games (2 per team in group/3 per team in group)
8 - 6/9
10 - 8/12
12 - 10/15

The purpose behind keeping games played within the grouping, as was discussed among the IIHF Heads when the idea of playing everyone was brought forward, the intent behind only playing games within your grouping is that it keeps the competition among nations strong and matches that of the actual IIHF tournament.

Sim Length of the Tournament:
To follow that up, the IIHF was a 10 team 10 game round robin tournament since the hard establishment of the system in S22 (@artermis correct me if my seasons are off). In S46, there was an expansion to 12 teams 12 game tournament. the whole time, since at least S38 when I joined, the round robin has been consistently simmed over the course of 5 days.

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

Personally I don't see a point in dragging out 14 games over 5 days. GMs don't change lines that much

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

07-30-2019, 04:23 PMSlashACM Wrote: Personally I don't see a point in dragging out 14 games over 5 days. GMs don't change lines that much

The purpose isnt as much gm changes, while gms do make their adaptations as they see fit, it's more so for the users to have something to look forward to during the offseason. the total length of the IIHF is 8 days i believe, 5 for Round Robin, 3 for Medal Round including the PbPs. That's at a minimum 5 days worth of events. Exhibition in WJC is a day or two of events but those games mean absolutely nothing in the end. British Isles, Finland, Sweden, UCORCAL had all of about 24 hours to get the enjoyment out of the sim this go around, that's from game 1 of round robin to losing in the first round of the tourney.

Im very glad that you have decided to make awards a thing. This tourney has been on for 11 seasons now and the all-time stat books mean absolutely nothing, time to make a solid foundation.

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.

07-30-2019, 04:29 PMBlastmeaway Wrote:
07-30-2019, 04:23 PMSlashACM Wrote: Personally I don't see a point in dragging out 14 games over 5 days. GMs don't change lines that much

The purpose isnt as much gm changes, while gms do make their adaptations as they see fit, it's more so for the users to have something to look forward to during the offseason. the total length of the IIHF is 8 days i believe, 5 for Round Robin, 3 for Medal Round including the PbPs. That's at a minimum 5 days worth of events. Exhibition in WJC is a day or two of events but those games mean absolutely nothing in the end. British Isles, Finland, Sweden, UCORCAL had all of about 24 hours to get the enjoyment out of the sim this go around, that's from game 1 of round robin to losing in the first round of the tourney.

Im very glad that you have decided to make awards a thing. This tourney has been on for 11 seasons now and the all-time stat books mean absolutely nothing, time to make a solid foundation.

I'm actually not a fan of the ~2 games we're getting currently with the iihf. It's a fair point and I'll bring it up next year with the GMs I hire. I understand that the countries eliminated didn't have long of a tournament but they still have the stats from 14 games to look at. It's something I'll consider and maybe we can find a happy medium.

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

07-30-2019, 04:36 PMSlashACM Wrote:
07-30-2019, 04:29 PMBlastmeaway Wrote: The purpose isnt as much gm changes, while gms do make their adaptations as they see fit, it's more so for the users to have something to look forward to during the offseason. the total length of the IIHF is 8 days i believe, 5 for Round Robin, 3 for Medal Round including the PbPs. That's at a minimum 5 days worth of events. Exhibition in WJC is a day or two of events but those games mean absolutely nothing in the end. British Isles, Finland, Sweden, UCORCAL had all of about 24 hours to get the enjoyment out of the sim this go around, that's from game 1 of round robin to losing in the first round of the tourney.

I'm actually not a fan of the ~2 games we're getting currently with the iihf. It's a fair point and I'll bring it up next year with the GMs I hire. I understand that the countries eliminated didn't have long of a tournament but they still have the stats from 14 games to look at. It's something I'll consider and maybe we can find a happy medium.

Its not just the IIHF that sims games in 3 or 4 day (index schedule) at a time. Its how the rest of the league operates, SHL, SMJHL, and IIHF, as I'm sure you're aware.

07-30-2019, 04:40 PMBlastmeaway Wrote:
07-30-2019, 04:36 PMSlashACM Wrote: I'm actually not a fan of the ~2 games we're getting currently with the iihf. It's a fair point and I'll bring it up next year with the GMs I hire. I understand that the countries eliminated didn't have long of a tournament but they still have the stats from 14 games to look at. It's something I'll consider and maybe we can find a happy medium.

Its not just the IIHF that sims games in 3 or 4 day (index schedule) at a time. Its how the rest of the league operates, SHL, SMJHL, and IIHF, as I'm sure you're aware.

Yeah I mean at this point I've been told the tournament is too long, too short, starts too late, starts too early. Just trying to get the timing that works best for the players, the GMs, and myself