Create Account

Remove enforcers

08-02-2019, 11:39 AMslothfacekilla Wrote:
08-02-2019, 10:41 AMBaelor Swift Wrote: Orrrrrrrr just don't approve any first gen enforcers until they have spoken with a rookie mentor about it?

Because it is a pretty limiting build in terms of the direction you can take your player and it's hard to know the implications of that if you aren't familiar with the sim engine.

Mentors did speak to people, we explained that it would be a very limited build as far as points and that it would hurt their draft stock and playing time (especially one of the builds that had like 90 fighting or something like that).  Pris gave the approver a short list of things to look out for (enforcer, defense/wingers putting in face off tpe, no points into defense/skating/passing/scoring, etc) and then refer them to the mentors to discuss the build before it got approved.  So we tried...

dont lie

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

08-02-2019, 06:57 PMTheWoZy Wrote:
08-02-2019, 11:39 AMslothfacekilla Wrote: Mentors did speak to people, we explained that it would be a very limited build as far as points and that it would hurt their draft stock and playing time (especially one of the builds that had like 90 fighting or something like that).  Pris gave the approver a short list of things to look out for (enforcer, defense/wingers putting in face off tpe, no points into defense/skating/passing/scoring, etc) and then refer them to the mentors to discuss the build before it got approved.  So we tried...

dont lie

I was genuinely confused with this, but I just scrolled down before submitting my reply and saw Guriin's post...definitely a mistake on my part.  I thought someone mentioned talking to him by name because I recognize him from PBE, and that he wanted to keep his build.  I DM'ed him on discord near the end of the draft asking him what his plan was and he said he wanted a meme player with maxed out fighting and checking before any other stat, which fit with what I thought I had heard, so I didn't think twice.  But I must have been confused so that's definitely on me.

I honestly thought everyone got talked to about builds with the system that was in place, I'm fine admitting when I mess up and I'm not going to lie about a sim league haha.  I'm going to hit up Guriin and apologize but I figured I should put my side here too...

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

If the build is so bad why keep it?

08-02-2019, 06:22 PMJayWhy Wrote:
08-02-2019, 06:15 PMEggy216 Wrote: @JayWhy could probably shed some light on this (why short term injuries don't work in STHS) for both of us.

Injuries are all injuries. You can't turn on just the little ones. If you do, you open up to season ending injuries in game 1. Then why does that person stay active? I went inactive in S8 when Nero forgot to turn off injuries and I got a season ender arouns 13 games in to my rookie season. All it does is hurt activity to have injuries.

Add in that, with injuries, you're going to be having to turn on fatigue. Even with 99 durability, 99 endurance, with our small league and shortened schedule, we end up with entire teams needing fully replaced due to exhaustion in 3-5 games.

I could continue to rant on and on, but basically: injuries are absolutely horrible in sim leagues and should never be considered.

Yeah, I know. No one's advocating for season ending injuries that's torture. I don't know who devs the engine but it would be nice if they could add in an option for minor injuries only, shouldn't take a lot of coding either.

Anthony Archer - S49 12th Overall
1x IIHF Silver Medalist (S51)
2x WJC Gold Medalist (S48, S49)
2x Four Star Cup Finalist (S48, S50)
SMJHL: 42G 40A 82P 304HIT // SHL: 17G 17A 34P 326HIT

[Image: AA42.png]

I'm planning to be an Enforcer with my next player so don't remove it

[Image: grogu111-A11.jpg]
norway                             IIHF Team Norway                          norway

08-02-2019, 11:12 AMEggy216 Wrote:
08-02-2019, 10:41 AMBaelor Swift Wrote: Orrrrrrrr just don't approve any first gen enforcers until they have spoken with a rookie mentor about it?

My understanding is that is what happened here. At least, I know the mentors reached out and cautioned against the difficulties and undesirability of the enforcer build.

Aside from that (a general comment in response to what was said here, not responding to you) wouldn't getting rid of the enforcer build just add to the issue that everyone has with STHS shoe-horning people into the same build? Getting rid of the one truly unique build we have just feeds back into the echo chamber of "STHS makes everyone the same"

Going through this thread, just wanted to say that I think the update scale does this, not STHS. I do wonder if players able to get max say 1200 TPE if we'd have different builds or if everyone would max DF and SC/PA, or maybe we'd see niche defensive builds and full fledge offense builds

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

08-03-2019, 01:48 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
08-02-2019, 11:12 AMEggy216 Wrote: My understanding is that is what happened here. At least, I know the mentors reached out and cautioned against the difficulties and undesirability of the enforcer build.

Aside from that (a general comment in response to what was said here, not responding to you) wouldn't getting rid of the enforcer build just add to the issue that everyone has with STHS shoe-horning people into the same build? Getting rid of the one truly unique build we have just feeds back into the echo chamber of "STHS makes everyone the same"

Going through this thread, just wanted to say that I think the update scale does this, not STHS. I do wonder if players able to get max say 1200 TPE if we'd have different builds or if everyone would max DF and SC/PA, or maybe we'd see niche defensive builds and full fledge offense builds

Maybe I’m wrong, but my personal opinion is that there will always be a “solved” build, it’s just a matter of when it gets found.

My other issue is that I hate the idea of telling people when to stop earning tpe.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

08-03-2019, 07:39 AMEggy216 Wrote:
08-03-2019, 01:48 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Going through this thread, just wanted to say that I think the update scale does this, not STHS. I do wonder if players able to get max say 1200 TPE if we'd have different builds or if everyone would max DF and SC/PA, or maybe we'd see niche defensive builds and full fledge offense builds

Maybe I’m wrong, but my personal opinion is that there will always be a “solved” build, it’s just a matter of when it gets found.

My other issue is that I hate the idea of telling people when to stop earning tpe.

I think you could be right. Make me wonder what GOMHL builds look like.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

honestly if you want to make enforcers not matter as much, lower starting discipline on other builds. If defensive defenseman started at 40 discipline i would just pick that, 62 is pretty shitty if you want to be a physical player

favorite player i ever made across all sim leagues was an enforcer, and thats the same player i planned on bringing over here. removing enforcer would make me super sad, since my plan for making another player in the league was basically to do that

[Image: WhoKilledEnforcers.png]

[Image: 60859_s.gif]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]