Create Account

S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate

Calgarys new affiliate starts with it's location! and wanting to have a birds eye view of the roster were going to move the affiliate to Drayton Valley Alberta... a small town of no more then 8,000 people reside in Drayton Valley but the cities to its left and right make up a population of over 60,000 which is more then enough to fill up the teams new 5,700 seat arena. The official team name will be the Drayton Valley Dominion named after the most abrasive gang in Sci-Fi television! known as the DVD this minor league franchise will wear the red and black colors of its parent club with the primary color being black and the logo and and numbers being red. With high end prospects like Esa parmborg, Atlas Rush, Oliver Klozoff and Prince Dewitt.. we need a manager with 1 foot in in the dragons locker room and 1 foot in the world of the SMJHL to help guide these talented players up the ladder.. i believe that person is @Katth who has some coaching experience from his time in Kelowna, has a good feel of the dragons culture while still being a young enough player to relate to the issues of the junior players.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

If the Edmonton Blizzards had a minor league affiliate, I think I would pick Lethbridge as its location. We already have an SMJHL team there that's doing good work so we readjust it. Its a short flight in case of emergencies and keeps local interest in the teams. As far as team names, I like something like the Solar Bears. The Blizzards have a nice cool color aesthetic with a wolf/coyote/K-9 as the logo. I would like to contrast this nicely with the warm colors a Solar bear invokes while keeping it in the same vain as the Blizzards. As far as why the Solar Bears as a name, I grew up with the Ice Bears near me, and Solar bears is a team I created in NHL '19.  So nostalgia and it is on my mind. For managers I would get @aaronwilson and @Keygan. Aaron is a huge asset to any team, the stats man, and he will make a great GM. I know he is doing his time with Hamilton's staff (I think), but he understands the SMJHL level and knows how to set the lines. Keygan knows the SHL well and its needs, and I think that helps in filling the needs to your SHL affiliate.

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

It's safe to say that when it comes to expansion, everyone is a fan. While this isn't completely expansion, it basically is at the same time. The Simulation Hockey League head honchos have decided that each SHL team is going to be getting their own affiliate team. I'm assuming SHL = Pro/Farm and SMJHL becomes it's more junior self. Every GM gets to pick where their city is located but for the Los Angeles Panthers, they did things a little different. California has numerous amazing places to play the game of hockey and they know this with how strong, loyal and dedicated their own fan base is. Knowing they'd have a farm system right by will likely excite their fans and allow everyone, including fans, to keep an eye on their farm system to make sure things are gilding well. Numerous ideas were thrown around until eventually they decided to go with the location or San Jose and the team name of Barracudas. The jerseys seemingly came out amazingly and are a mixture of St. Louis Blues and the San Jose Sharks. Similar patterns to the Sharks, similar blue to the jersey of the Blues and of course, the legendary Barracuda logo.

Once they had all the big things like that out of the way, the idea was rolling. They'd be using the San Jose Sharks arena, obviously on off nights or earlier in the day and will be doing promotion throughout the off-season to really kick things off. To really get things going off on a start, they want to see what the ceiling is for the team. The first game is entirely free and they encourage as many people that can get their hands on the free tickets sold online to get them ASAP as they're estimated to sell out in 5 minutes or less. We imagine it's going to be closer to yes. It's still great level of talent and it's free. PACK THE HOUSE! The first game is going to be in a couple of weeks when the pre-season takes off and they're going to be playing Toronto's newest affiliate, the Hamilton Grizzlies. Puck drops at 8. If you beat the lines are are seated prior to 730, there's a special show and they're giving away free nachos. YES!

Panthers

[Image: ThdtxoF.png]

|| Fujikawa Player Page || Update Page ||

For Manhattan it would be an easy place to put it. There is a city near manhattan that is the capital of New York who would love to have an SHL team afflitate there. It is Albany Of course. And I think the best name for Albany of course is the River Rats. The Albany River Rats embrace the nature of NY and the massive Rat population there. First of all Albany is a quick drive from New York allowing easy acess in case of an emergency call up or send down, a player can easily get there in short notice to play. Also it will allow our Europian players time to develop living near a big city rather than playing in one right away, and getting used to the nature of playing in New York. The managment will of course be staffed by some of the best SMJHL Names in the game. I Would recruit former SMJHL GM of Vancouver @adamantium to be GM of operations and player managment. I would hire @aaronwilson as our Coach and head of player development with all of his great work in Vancouver as well. I would also hire @nour and @ml002 as assistant coaches undernearth him.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

San Francisco Pride affiliate team would play and be located near - San Jose. San Jose is known to have a rabid hockey fan base. Also, San Jose is near San Francisco, so young players and prospects would have a chance to be around the parent team and its players. It's good to have strong ties with senior team players whom can show the ropes, ins and outs of how to be and behave like a professional hockey player.

The affiliate team would be called San Jose Peak - named after the famous Mission Peak Regional Preserve, which is a known Preserve and has symbolic importance to the local area.

I'd love for the team to be run by @bluesfan55 cause he knows how to pick up his teammates, motivate them and is just a great locker room presence. I bet that would translate into managerial duties very very well. also i'd like to add @Muerto who is just a fantastic coach and a true team leader, who is more than capable to mold any young team into championship caliber players. I'd love to have @tweedledunn as the team brand manager to design the team visuals, team look and i trust him that his vision would add some needed panache and pizzazz to this teams' look.

[Image: ontanis.gif]

[Image: 6by0kBi.png] [Image: YztPk3T.png]
thanks to @Wasty, @Bruins10, @Carpy48 and @iRockstar for the sigs!

So the Calgary Dragons have been looking for an affiliate team for some time now and honestly it was so obvious that it just took a while to think of it. What is the next major hockey city? Right, that's Edmonton. So we have decided as the Calgary Dragons management to create our affiliate team in Edmonton. Their name will be: The Edmonton Blizzard. We decided to call it like that because the weather in Edmonton can be quite severe during winter. It just seemed like a good fit.

We have also already decided on a team logo for our affiliate. 

[Image: ubSX6m1.png]

The decision for the new manager of the team was almost unanimous. Because @Steelhead77 and @c00kies are too busy managing the Calgary Dragons it has been decided that Mike Izzy (@Mike Izzy) will run the Edmonton Blizzard as the affiliate of the Calgary Dragons. Mike Izzy is seen as Calgary's wonderboy, but it's time for him to start getting some management experience. So it seemed good to let him have a go in Edmonton, so messing up there wouldn't affect Calgary too much.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2019, 06:43 AM by Nictox.)

If New Orleans had a minor league affiliate they would play in Baton Rouge. Now coming up with a team name would be a little tricky, what does Baton Rouge offer to help name it's hockey team? Would you name it similar to New Orleans in that it will have a spooky name? Maybe something less haunting as a Specter but still slightly haunting? Or maybe you could chose name out of left field that has nothing to do with the major league team it affiliates with. What about naming it after themselves? The Baton Rouge Red Sticks, literary their name twice, so that probably would not work out. I got it! Baton Rouge Catfish. Catfish are known to be all over Louisiana, so why not name a hockey team after them? As to who would run the team, I think @JKortesi81 would send me North a bit from New Orleans to oversee the day to day operations. I can see it now, players drafted from the SMJHL being sent to Baton Rouge to get used to the weather and then sent to New Orleans when they finally get the call.

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26 | RIP TDZ

The San Jose Prowl will be the new affiliate for the San Francisco Pride. Why the Prowl? Because I'm too lazy to come up with an actually clever and related name and Lions prowl, right? Why San Jose? Because it's only about an hour from San Francisco, which will make it super easy to call people up or send them back down. Who will be in charge? I don't know, honestly. Not me. Probably Geronimo Otto, assistant GM extraordinaire. He can pull double duty and manage both teams. First order of business will be to send that scrub Leo Lockhart down. We're not a super lucrative franchise yet and we don't have money to be throwing around so the Prowl will wear old Pride uniforms turned inside out with a new logo sewed on. The logo will be of a pack of lady lions crouched in hunting position because everyone knows it's the females of the species who get shit done.

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page

Creating another league to fit in between the SHL and the SMJHL is an excellent idea. It will help the talent develop more correctly and help expand the SHL brand. When it comes to where to put the West Kendall affiliate team I think it is pretty obvious to keep the team in the south eastern part of the United States. Somewhat surprisingly the south / south east is a hot bed for SHL hockey. West Kendall, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, and Texas are all doing their best to grow the sport of hockey in non-traditional markets. The easy but dumb move would be to put West Kendall's affiliate team in Atlanta. It is one of the larger cities in the south and with their other sports teams being rather unsuccessful in recent memory, developing a team their could work. However as history has shown, Atlanta is not a hockey team. Many a hockey team has gone to the ATL and died. We must learn from history so we can make brand new mistakes. With that in mind let's get crazy and put a team in Cuba. Now I know what you are thinking. Does Cuba even have an ice rink? In a quick google search it seems like no. It would require immense start up capital from West Kendall, the SHL, and the Cuban government to make it work but now that US Cuba relations have eased a little bit, it is an immense opportunity. The team would be located in Havana, the capital and most populous city. I am split on what to call the team. If we want to stay on theme with the Platoon name we could go with the Havana Revolucion but I think that would cause some issues. A better option would be to go with the Havana Castillos. The coat of arms on Havana features three castles which ties in well with the Platoon. The keep on brand with just the bird logo we could go with the Havana Tocororo, which is the national bird of Cuba. See that this is a super outside the box idea, I'll take sole responsibility in starting the franchise if it were to come to be.

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Code:
Written Task: In the event that this takes place the league is asking that this be a collaberative effort of ideas. Give us a rundown on where your teams minor league affiliate will play? What will it be called? Why did you decide to call it that? and who on your staff will take the responsibility of managing the new team and why!?  (150+ words and tag all involved)

If I were looking for a new affiliate for the New Orleans Specters, I would want something semi-close to the city for prospect travel purposes.  But I would also want to add a little international flare to the league and put my affiliate team in Mexico.  So I would place my team in Monterrey, Mexico since it is the capital of its state and on the Eastern part of Mexico.  They would be branded as the Monterrey Chupacabras to keep with the spooky aspect that the New Orleans franchise has going.  It also ties into the folklore of Mexico and would hopefully bring in more fans.  I would probably keep the colors similar to the Specters, and I would definitely design the logo to be as spooky as possible.  It would also allow the new affiliate franchise to have a lot of options as far as fun third jerseys go.  They could sell special jerseys on days like Cinco de Mayo and really embrace the culture so hopefully the country of Mexico will adopt them.  Because capitalism.  I would force @TheDangaZone to pull double duty as NOLA Co-GM and the new head GM of Monterrey because I like to see him suffer.  I would then poach @Kalakar from the Halifax management team and enslave him as the Monterrey Co-GM.  Sorry boys.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Code:
Written Task: In the event that this takes place the league is asking that this be a collaborative effort of ideas. Give us a rundown on where your teams minor league affiliate will play? What will it be called? Why did you decide to call it that? and who on your staff will take the responsibility of managing the new team and why!?  (150+ words and tag all involved)
If i were in charge of choosing the location for a new minor league affiliate, I would choose Portland, ME as our location and the team name would be the Beacons. As you may know, Maine is home of some of the most legendary lighthouses and Portland has a beautiful one located just south of town in Cape Elizabeth. The reason I chose this location is because it is close to Boston but far enough to not compete for fans. The city is big enough to sustain a smaller team and it has a big enough population in the area to fill the stands. Plus the town of Portland is awesome and it could use some exciting sports for the locals while they grab some delicious craft brews and tasty seafood near the rink. The person that would be in charge of managing this team is @hotdog because his SHL name is Eko van Otter, and I'm pretty sure otters live somewhere in Maine - therefore he must manage the team.

[Image: PvZbGlD.png]
[Image: FszcRvP.png]
Thanks @"AndrewWarren13" for the sig

For the Texas Renegades, I'd place the affiliate somewhere within the bounds of Texas still. The Renegades play their home games in the city of Dallas. Two cities that really stand out to me as landing spots for an affiliate are Houston and Austin. Houston is the largest city in Texas and is home to an NFL team so clearly major sports work in the city. I think it may be a bit too large to host a junior team. Austin is located just a few hours south of Dallas and has a much smaller population than Houston, so that'd make more sense for an affiliate location in my opinion. As for the team name, I'd want the team to be something along the same lines as the Renegades, or else something that ties into the city of Austin . Austin is the capital of Texas and also the "live music capital of the world", so one could devise a name using that. I'm a simple man though, and I'd go with the Austin Rebels. It'd be a very clear affiliation with the Texas Renegades.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png] [Image: UDyqktK.png]

I play for the Minnesota Chiefs - keyword, Minnesota. Minnesota is *the* state of hockey. That said, it would make absolutely no sense to send a potential affiliate team out-of-state. So located in Minneapolis, Minnesota, I would like to present the Minneapolis Shiba Inus. Why is that the team name you may ask? Well, from management to prospects like myself, if there's any common denominator, everyone here loves a Shiba Inu. Any current prospects that aren't eligible to stay in the SMJHL but might need to fine-tune their game before playing for the Chiefs would have no problem with having a cute lil' pupper on their jersey. As far as the location, Minneapolis is no more than a half-hour drive from St. Paul, which is where the Chiefs play, making a potential call-up (should they be in-state doing training or happen to have a home stretch) very convenient for both parties. Management-wise, I'd like to think @Shmurph and @Leppish can still manage the minor league affiliate as the Shiba Inus would be part of the Chiefs' organization.

[Image: noahshl.gif]

Switzerland Outlaws Chiefs  Player Page  Updates  Chiefs Outlaws Switzerland

The Carolinas could use another hockey team, they would simply be called the Carolina Blues. Their jerseys would be Carolina blue and white. The mascot would be a blue bear named Bluie. This team would do well in terms of local support. Professional teams that do well have good support in the communities. The players would enjoy playing where they can go out shopping and have dinner without be hassled all the time. As for management, I would enlist the services of former GM Toivo Kosonen. Kosonen has been managing the Stockholm HC Valkyrie of another league and it’s been going well. The Carolina Blues would be a great franchise for developing and training young players. The Blues could have one of the top jerseys in hockey with the Carolina Blue color. The only major concern is whose affiliate the Blues would be as Carolina to any team is a bit of a trip and not exactly the distance you want for calling players up.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

The San Francisco Pride have decided that their affiliate team will be based in:

San Francisco, Puerto Rico!! Since @Samee was hanging out there anyway looking for the SHL team, he will be given the task of managing and recruiting players for the team. He is still wondering why the team is based in the Western Division but that is a worry for another day. The team will be called the San Francisco Orgullo since I think they speak Spanish in Puerto Rico.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies