Create Account

Max contract length

08-05-2019, 07:25 PMml002 Wrote:
08-05-2019, 07:02 PMluketd Wrote: I think the main complaint would be is that if someone signs like an 8 year deal on a 3 milbasis to someone who is a top earner, then It would view it as circumventing the cap of some sort

Ding ding unless we change our contracts to a dynamic model where as a player crosses TPE tiers their contract increases, then this will be used to circumvent the cap. If I recreate, and then sign myself to the min until I'm out of my RFA years and then sign myself to the min for the next 10 seasons where I'll almost certainly earn enough to be max tier by the end, I'll have successfully circumvented the cap

fuck that dynamic sliding contract so much

it reminds me of gomhl

gomhl sucked ass

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

08-05-2019, 08:20 PMGrapehead Wrote:
08-05-2019, 08:14 PMItssYoBoiDaLegend Wrote: Entry Level Contract 3 Years then you have a RFA Right to the player for an extra 3 seasons.

Oh okay. I think players should be able to be free agents sooner than 6 seasons. They're more than half way to regression at that point.

Well it makes more realistic imo. NHL players almost hit their regression stage by the time they are UFAs (Which is 7 Years Pro, or 27 Years of Age) which makes sense when it comes to SHL. It should be fair for a Team trying to extend a player long-term. But I don't think it's fair to players to be limited to 3 Years. I don't think it's that fair for players. But also don't see it being fair for teams to offer 15 year contracts. So I think this makes it fair for everyone. This would also take Compensation, and Offer Sheets actually more important in the SHL, which can make the League have more interesting storylines, and different evens occurring when it comes to drafts as well.

Hard disagree, people are already taking low enough contracts.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

08-05-2019, 07:21 PMGrapehead Wrote:
08-05-2019, 07:02 PMluketd Wrote: I think the main complaint would be is that if someone signs like an 8 year deal on a 3 milbasis to someone who is a top earner, then It would view it as circumventing the cap of some sort

It wouldn't be circumventing the cap if the rule was changed, that's my point though. $3m isn't exactly cheap, because with a 20 person minimum roster and a cap of $70m it's a significant portion of your budget. You can't pay all 20 people $4m under this cap, so it's not like these contract minimums are chump change.

Yes, that's precisely the point of the cap, to prevent teams from having 20 players in that 4m tier or higher.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

08-05-2019, 11:35 PMBDonini Wrote:
08-05-2019, 07:21 PMGrapehead Wrote: It wouldn't be circumventing the cap if the rule was changed, that's my point though. $3m isn't exactly cheap, because with a 20 person minimum roster and a cap of $70m it's a significant portion of your budget. You can't pay all 20 people $4m under this cap, so it's not like these contract minimums are chump change.

Yes, that's precisely the point of the cap, to prevent teams from having 20 players in that 4m tier or higher.

My issue isn't necessarily with the cap, but it came as a side effect to my original intent. However, I don't view the cap as something that must remain unchanged, so the mere fact that the current cap prevents something doesn't mean that's a good thing. When some players scoff at minimum contracts, it's nice to remind them that it's not even possible for the team to pay everyone minimum after a certain point.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

There is a reason why the rule exists as is... to avoid exactly what you are pushing for. The rule exists to make it a bit more challenging as a GM to put together and maintain a stacked roster, thus increasing parity.

iirc, this was put into place exactly BECAUSE mostly everyone was just signing at minimum and contracts were devalued. The hometown discounts are at your disposal also, which you shouldn't have left out here.

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

08-06-2019, 07:37 AMBaelor Swift Wrote: There is a reason why the rule exists as is... to avoid exactly what you are pushing for. The rule exists to make it a bit more challenging as a GM to put together and maintain a stacked roster, thus increasing parity.

iirc, this was put into place exactly BECAUSE mostly everyone was just signing at minimum and contracts were devalued. The hometown discounts are at your disposal also, which you shouldn't have left out here.

Mostly everyone is still signing at minimum. Anyway, I've said in this thread my original intent wasn't to skirt the cap, which several people seem to be painting this as. I've just had multiple players frustrated that they had to wait so long to sign long-term. Tommy's suggestion would actually provide what I'm actually pushing for without upsetting the cap.

Or... Just saying. How about we reintroduce a contract period for players over 1000tpe... Would make it more interesting if GMs can't just lock up players at 4mil/year during the entire peak of their career. Would also mean there would be more very high level tpe players hitting contract end and still having a chance to maybe use FA.

My suggestion would be make max contract length 5 seasons for over 1000tpe.

But maybe lower that threshold to be over 700 and as @"TommySalami" said as long as they arent RFA anymore.

What's the objective here?

To make life easier for GMs by locking up good players cheap long terms?

Or

Providing an interesting market for players that tests GMs skills and planning under a salary cap system?

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

This isn't the Andrew joycon thread >:(

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

08-06-2019, 08:47 AMTomasnz Wrote: Or... Just saying. How about we reintroduce a contract period for players over 1000tpe... Would make it more interesting if GMs can't just lock up players at 4mil/year during the entire peak of their career. Would also mean there would be more very high level tpe players hitting contract end and still having a chance to maybe use FA.

But maybe lower that threshold to be over 700 and as @"TommySalami" said as long as they arent RFA anymore.

Or

Providing an interesting market for players that tests GMs skills and planning under a salary cap system?

The thing is. I'm locked at a 4m contract for 11more seasons. I don't want the contract money and just want my team to be as competitive as possible. I don't wanna go to fa no matter the money involved cause at the end of the day. I know unless the team is very smart with their cap they can spend all that money on me unless thier team is dog shit.

RETIRED

08-06-2019, 08:38 AMGrapehead Wrote:
08-06-2019, 07:37 AMBaelor Swift Wrote: There is a reason why the rule exists as is... to avoid exactly what you are pushing for. The rule exists to make it a bit more challenging as a GM to put together and maintain a stacked roster, thus increasing parity.

Mostly everyone is still signing at minimum. Anyway, I've said in this thread my original intent wasn't to skirt the cap, which several people seem to be painting this as. I've just had multiple players frustrated that they had to wait so long to sign long-term. Tommy's suggestion would actually provide what I'm actually pushing for without upsetting the cap.

Why are they frustrated? I'm not sure what the difference is between signing a 6 season deal now or a 3 season deal now and a 3 season deal later. Unless their idea is that they want to take less in order to make the team better, which, once again, is exactly what the rules are trying to avoid. Even Tommy's suggestion, while an improvement, is still opening the doors for GMs to lock players into cheap contracts early. I know many people end up wanting more money because earning money can be a grind and a respite in the form of a larger contract can be helpful... Sometimes that is not immediately obvious to new members until a few seasons down the line.

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue

^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS

08-06-2019, 09:02 AMMayuu Wrote:
08-06-2019, 08:47 AMTomasnz Wrote: Or... Just saying. How about we reintroduce a contract period for players over 1000tpe... Would make it more interesting if GMs can't just lock up players at 4mil/year during the entire peak of their career. Would also mean there would be more very high level tpe players hitting contract end and still having a chance to maybe use FA.

Or

The thing is. I'm locked at a 4m contract for 11more seasons. I don't want the contract money and just want my team to be as competitive as possible. I don't wanna go to fa no matter the money involved cause at the end of the day. I know unless the team is very smart with their cap they can spend all that money on me unless thier team is dog shit.

This is also a common sentiment, but the contract minimums are a very important requirement of our league due to the lack of financial need. Nobody has to make a living off this site, so we can't expect them to have the same motivations as NHL players. As far as your contract, I'm sure you would've signed at $4m for 11 seasons right from the draft, and I think that should be okay, but I certainly don't think that would be the norm either. Some people envision their player's story playing out on just one team, and for those people we can be accommodating without giving teams a discount vs the current rules.

08-06-2019, 09:21 AMBaelor Swift Wrote:
08-06-2019, 08:38 AMGrapehead Wrote: Mostly everyone is still signing at minimum. Anyway, I've said in this thread my original intent wasn't to skirt the cap, which several people seem to be painting this as. I've just had multiple players frustrated that they had to wait so long to sign long-term. Tommy's suggestion would actually provide what I'm actually pushing for without upsetting the cap.

Why are they frustrated? I'm not sure what the difference is between signing a 6 season deal now or a 3 season deal now and a 3 season deal later. Unless their idea is that they want to take less in order to make the team better, which, once again, is exactly what the rules are trying to avoid. Even Tommy's suggestion, while an improvement, is still opening the doors for GMs to lock players into cheap contracts early. I know many people end up wanting more money because earning money can be a grind and a respite in the form of a larger contract can be helpful... Sometimes that is not immediately obvious to new members until a few seasons down the line.

It doesn't allow for players to be locked in for cheap though. They'd have to be paid $4m minimum. Currently you have to reach tier 5 in order to sign a contract beyond 3 seasons, which is 1000 TPE and $4m minimum. Tommy's suggestion was that so long as the contract was $4m minimum, it could exceed 3 seasons regardless of their current TPE. How is that enabling GMs to get players cheaper?

08-06-2019, 09:23 AMGrapehead Wrote:
08-06-2019, 09:21 AMBaelor Swift Wrote: Why are they frustrated? I'm not sure what the difference is between signing a 6 season deal now or a 3 season deal now and a 3 season deal later. Unless their idea is that they want to take less in order to make the team better, which, once again, is exactly what the rules are trying to avoid. Even Tommy's suggestion, while an improvement, is still opening the doors for GMs to lock players into cheap contracts early. I know many people end up wanting more money because earning money can be a grind and a respite in the form of a larger contract can be helpful... Sometimes that is not immediately obvious to new members until a few seasons down the line.

It doesn't allow for players to be locked in for cheap though. They'd have to be paid $4m minimum. Currently you have to reach tier 5 in order to sign a contract beyond 3 seasons, which is 1000 TPE and $4m minimum. Tommy's suggestion was that so long as the contract was $4m minimum, it could exceed 3 seasons regardless of their current TPE. How is that enabling GMs to get players cheaper?

Because that is still a minimum contract. That is literally, by definition, cheap. A $4m salary still requires players to make $4m+ per season just to afford 5 TPE weekly training. It is taking advantage of members' relative naivety to lock them into team friendly deals... If you look at it from the perspective of member retention, it will encourage some members to burn out more quickly. Which is one reason why the current rules have a 3 season max length for members who have not reached 1000 TPE... It takes time to become fully acquainted to the league and the effort involved in earning TPE at a given rate.

^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS

My team pay me in hamborgar

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]