Create Account

New SMJHL Awards Head: AMA
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2019, 08:42 AM by hhh81.)

Hey everyone, I'm your friendly neighborhood hhh81, and I'm here today to speak as the (interim?) SMJHL Awards Committee Head. This was my first season as awards head, and I made some changes that I hope will improve the committee's workings as time goes along.

First off I want to thank @39alaska39 @Tomen @ml002 @Beaver @JSS and @slothfacekilla for their work in discussions the last few weeks and their timely, thoughtful awards ballots!

So long as I don't piss off @Winter is Coming, I hope to keep doing the job for awhile. I thought, with some people having concerns in the past, I'd do an AMA, to allow people to ask questions about our processes and such.

My top goals when grok asked me to take over were (1) get awards out in a relatively reasonable time frame, (2) increase the committee's discussion of awards so we could get to the best results possible, and (3) improve the information disclosure with the greater SHL community on how we go about our business. I'll come back to add more (especially after the awards show this weekend), but I wanted to throw this up here in case people have questions!

AMA.

08-09-2019, 11:35 PMesilverm Wrote: How is it?

It's good. It's exhausting. It's rewarding.

It's in the game.

IT'S IT! What is it?

08-09-2019, 11:49 PMSpartanGibbles Wrote: It's no secret I had voiced my frustrations over the timeliness of awards in the past few seasons. I am glad to see the ship being righted and processes being established to help thing run smoothly.

I have seen discussions about the possibility of having awards done as a single post/video versus the current form of a drawn out awards show thread. Is there any current plans to deviate from the regular procedure?

Now that timeliness is being reestablished for awards voting, will we be looking at making a deadline for awards to be released(For example before the first sim of the next season)?

Do you think there is something in the current awards process that needs to be looked at and changed asap?

Thanks, SG. I know we talked a lot about these things prior to me stepping in.

This is the first time I've heard anything about the topic of a single post/video. I'm not opposed to the idea if a host wants to go that way. I'd be interested in feedback from the community on that one.

I can chat with HO on what they'd like. I tried to get conversations started around when SMJHL Finals were starting, and posted the ballots before finals were over, giving several days for people to get their ballots in. This season was delayed (slightly) by my crazy work schedule and needing to revote on one award.

I think the main thing was the lack of transparency about the process/voting, where even the rest of the awards committee didn't know how votes went. I shared my ballot doc with the committee and shared voting numbers for finalists with the host, so he could use that if he wished. Also, we didn't have a Discord to discuss awards, and I've fixed that, too.

08-11-2019, 05:31 PMTomasnz Wrote: thoughts on only being two goalie nominees for this season? I mean I agree the choice is between those two, but I feel like there should still be three noms. tell me why I am wrong :-)

what is your ideal timeframe for awards voting and hosting an awards show?

SHL awards uses a two stage process for its selection and final voting (open ballot for nominatations, closed ballot for voting for a winner from those nominees). What process does the SMJHL currently use? what would you like to change it to? (or if not change, why is your system the best?)

Yes, I do. It was unanimous who the top two vote getters were, and then there was a group of three goalies that split third place votes. Because there was such a clear discrepancy between first (35 votes), second (21 votes), and the third place point totals (3-2-2), I chose to name just two finalists. It made sense to be two finalists or 5, and I chose to go with two.

I haven't given this question a lot of thought, admittedly (I've also been working 12 hour days, so my brain is 100% fried). Ideally, we'd start talking about awards during the playoffs, votes are due withing a week-ish (or less) of the end of the finals (or at least when the index is updated so we have actual stats), and then the awards show happens a week after that.

That's interesting. During my time we've always had secret ballot as the only ballot, though for the Onoprienko this year we had to have a revote that was open ballot to figure out an actual winner/finalists, rather than 17 nominated players with 7 different 1st place winners (and no one being on more than 2 ballots). Open ballot noms and then closed ballot voting could work... hmm. You've given me something to think about.

08-14-2019, 10:17 AMZoone16 Wrote: @hhh81 Thoughts on the current voting system in place? What are the changes you would do to it?

I think having a two ballot model (open ballot nominations and closed ballot voting) could work very well. I've been trying to facilitate more discussions than we have the last few seasons, and I think adding in some new blood would go a long way to improving the excitement of the committee toward voting.

For open nominations, I think doing that (at least for the Onoprienko) might help this ongoing issue of a lot of people getting votes, but very few getting a lot of votes. We had 17 players across 7 ballots this past season, with the highest vote getter appearing on two ballots at 1st and 2nd. In all, I haven't decided how we'll change voting yet, but I've gotten some good ideas from just this AMA!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

How is it?

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

It's no secret I had voiced my frustrations over the timeliness of awards in the past few seasons. I am glad to see the ship being righted and processes being established to help thing run smoothly.

I have seen discussions about the possibility of having awards done as a single post/video versus the current form of a drawn out awards show thread. Is there any current plans to deviate from the regular procedure?

Now that timeliness is being reestablished for awards voting, will we be looking at making a deadline for awards to be released(For example before the first sim of the next season)?

Do you think there is something in the current awards process that needs to be looked at and changed asap?

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

thoughts on only being two goalie nominees for this season? I mean I agree the choice is between those two, but I feel like there should still be three noms. tell me why I am wrong :-)

what is your ideal timeframe for awards voting and hosting an awards show?

SHL awards uses a two stage process for its selection and final voting (open ballot for nominatations, closed ballot for voting for a winner from those nominees). What process does the SMJHL currently use? what would you like to change it to? (or if not change, why is your system the best?)

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

Updated to here!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

@hhh81 Thoughts on the current voting system in place? What are the changes you would do to it?

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Updated through here!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

Hi

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]