Create Account

PT 2 - Looking Forward

Joseph Weston oftentimes finds himself looking up to players such as Jason Visser. Despite being as near completely different as possible, Weston wishes to have nearly as much TPE as possible. The drive to improve is constantly pushing Weston to accumulate all of the TPE he can get his hands on, something he believes Visser to be the absolute expert on. Visser's 97 scoring and 90 passing are things that Weston wishes to emulate in his performances on the ice, things that have been steadily increasing in Weston's updates. As is tradition, Weston made sure to plug both his player information page, found here, and his update page, found here, so as to get any tips possible from people interested in his performance. While Weston does not agree with all of Visser's decisions and designs, Weston salivates at the thought of having that many TPE to spend to improve himself.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Akira Ren is just starting his career In the SMJHL but he is already looking to emulate a former SMJHL star and future SHL star in Chicago Syndicate Defensemen Corey Kennedy @SDCore .

Last season Kennedy led all SMJHL defensemen in scoring with 44 points. Ren most likely won’t be doing that this season since he only has 5 points thus far but hopefully with some tutelage from Kennedy in Lethbridge he can evolve into the same sort of player.

Like Kennedy, Ren has been focusing strongly on his defense and skating attributes. He knows that in order to be successful in the SHL you need to be able to skate with the best and defend against the best. However unlike Kennedy, Ren doesn’t look to shoot first when he has the puck. Instead he looks to make a pass to the open man. Perhaps over time Ren will become a better shooter like Kennedy or perhaps he will continue his pass first mentality and pass the puck lots to Kennedy as the pair hold down the blueline for the Chicago Syndicate for seasons to come.

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad

(180 words)
Artemi Berezin, he is from Alexei’s hometown of St. Petersburg. Alexei enjoyed watching Artemi from a young age and is excited to be on the same junior team as Artemi. Alexei hopes to achieve a fraction of the success Artemi did and hopes to make the splash in his native Russia and St. Petersburg and be an inspiration for other Russian players coming up. Artemi is a two-way forward which is different than Alexei who focuses on being a sniper, but it is the type of balance that Alexei hopes to achieve. Where Artemi’s build focuses more heavily on passing Alexei is primarily going to be focused on scoring. A lot of Artemi’s build would be very similar to what Alexei wants to achieve but with less focus on faceoffs since Alexei largely plays wing but Alexei does want to achieve flexibility and be able to fill the gaps for whatever a team wants. Ultimately Alexei is largely going to focus on defense, shooting, and puck handling with an eventual focus on passing and skating to round out the build.

[Image: 59270_s.gif]

[Image: jcjcF7J.png]  [Image: nHs4nH0.png]

The player who I most want to be like when I get older and more experienced in the league is Tony Pepperoni. The guy is an absolute stud and has been doing big things in Edmonton this season, racking up a ton of assists and helping to be a big part of their offense. The guy is quick on his skates and extremely talented with his stick, which are both things I aspire to have moving forward. Looking at his attributes, he's put a lot of emphasis on puck handling and scoring, which is the one thing that will differ between us. For me, skating, puck handling, and passing are the biggest factors in my game. I may consider leaning a little more towards the goal scoring side though if I can ever hope to put up the numbers he already has this season. All in all, Tony Pepperoni is definitely my hero. @"TommySalami"

[Image: ws92zPV.png]
FIRST SHIFT, FIRST GAME, FIRST SHOT, FIRST GOAL
[img=0x0]https://i.ibb.co/4fx7RqP/first-goal.png[/img]
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2019, 06:19 AM by OrbitingDeath.)

With Xander Green being retired from the Wolfpack it’s only natural for me to look at his successor Anders Christiansen as a player that has some similarities to my playstyle. While I’m still a long way off to the SHL, I see flashes of greatness in myself that remind me from how he plays. We are both great skaters, while mine is currently still at 67, his skating is at 99. But I know it is one of my strengths so one day I’ll be at his level. Defense-wise he is also a great role model, he has it at 99 at the moment while I just finished training it to 70.

The only strength that is different from him is he is more a pass first player while I am more of a shoot first player, but even in these areas he still has a big advantage over me. One day I might be able to follow in his footsteps.

(161 words)

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

PBE PT

As a first-year player in the SMJHL, two SHL players I look up to are two veteran Czechians, who have been active in the discord and have been helpful in getting us rookies settled, @39alaska39 and @caltroit_red_flames. Alex Winters is a former St. Louis alum, serving as Manhattan's 2nd line LW. With maxed out passing and defence (99), as well as good scoring (85), skating (90), and puckhandling (93), Winters is a two-way stud, able to contribute offensively and defensively. Brady Mcintyre, although a defeseman, can be placed up and down the lineup. Recently for the Czechs IIHF run, Mcintyre was slotted into the 1C role, due to his maxed out passing, defense, and puckhandling (99). Both are actively engaged on discord, making it easy on us rookies to stay engaged. Following these players developments would allow Herdanivic to develop into a two-way left winger, able to rack up the assists, chip in a little bit goal-wise, and not give up anything defensively. Not being a weakness defensively would allow Herdanivic to gain the trust of his coaches, allowing him to earn more playing time. (192words)

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM by puolivalmiste.)

Finding people who play the kind of hockey Björn Leppänen plays are rare, so there are not too many players who he has been looking up to on his way to SHL. But Ti-Guy Emond has been one who Björn has been fan of since he was watching his first SHL games while still playing in juniors himself.

This huge canadian defender is top of SHL in strengh and checking yet still he does not compromise his ability to defend having also respectable passing and puck handling.

Björn on the other hand is lot smaller player whos hits won't ever be as devastating even if he can learn to be as skilled and more willing to make ones. To make up his smaller size he will keep his fists up and fighting with finess instead of just absolute power, on the other hand fighting will always be something that Ti-Guy has tried to stay away.

But if anything the ability to be defencive and still play rough is what Björn is trying to learn from following Ti-Guys career.

211 words.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

When I first was a wee tyke, and later on when joining the SHL was becoming a real possibility for a career there was a right winger who caught my attention.  Teddy Cuddles was a player that I really looked at when envisioning myself as a player.  I wanted to grab attention as a scorer but I really admired his two-way abilities.  While he was a little more defense oriented that I was, and am, I liked his style on and off the ice.  I used to watch videos of him on the ice to try and emulate some of his defensive techniques.  At the same time, I was developing my own offensive style so that I could be unique in the SHL. 
I really prided myself on my puck handling skills and wanted to develop that fully.  In my plans, if I am able to keep possession of the puck then I don’t need as good defense.  Once the puck is on my stick I want it to stay there until I score. 

We both want to play strong while physicality isn’t our specialty. We’re not looking to be the top checker on our line.  Both of us have a weakness in checking and I see it staying that way.  I provide few hits in our games but I want to be more offensive minded.

All in all.  Teddy, I’ll be catching up soon.  So wait for me.  I want to play on the same ice as my idol!

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

Markus Tegernako has watched a lot of SHL and SMJHL re-runs in the past few weeks, and the one goalie that really stood out to him was Beaujeaux Biscuit. While they don't practice exactly the same style of goaltending, he could see the similarities in their playstyle, and wants to emulate the French netminder as much as he can. There's a certain elegance to a puck being deviated to the corner with the greatest of ease, to a quick wrist shot being snagged out of the air at lightning speed, that makes Markus strive to develop those same abilities. And who knows, maybe one day, their paths will meet...

While not in the same mold, Markus has also followed the development of fellow Swiss Tibuk Soonika with the Chicago Syndicate. Although Soonika tends to stay upright most of the time, Markus can appreciate how athletic and poised he can be in front of his net. It's always good for a young player to have a goal in front of himself, and it's Markus' goal to play for the Swiss National Team alongside Soonika - preferably on the ice, and not on the bench!

(209 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2019, 09:09 AM by Frankcarp21.)

As a young buck in the league, its hard to imagine comparing myself to some of the greats in the SHL. That being said, someone I have been wanting to emulate in my career is the play of Hunter Jones. He strikes the perfect balance for what I want to accomplish in my career. His passing at 99 is my dream to accomplish. If I am ever able to dish the puck like him, I'll be ecstatic. Then you have his handling. Being at 90, he still has room to grow, which is scary to think about for the opposition. Not only does he have that covered, his defensive game is on point as well at a maxed 90. Being able to enter the zone cleanly, dish pucks like him and be defensively reliable is what I have hoped for in this league. Our strengths match each other and I believe our thoughts are in line with each other in that we want to do the same things to help our teams win. Leading the league in +/- currently with a strong assist count is what I am hoping to be able to do in my time, and Hunter is doing just that.

[Image: lwbzgad.png]

Kevin Robinson always looked more towards the defensive side of the game growing up, and still today. Unlike many of his youth hockey teammates, he did not have a high scoring favorite player, instead looking towards the great defensive forwards to play through the SHL. While admiring players like Jeff Dar from the past, his favorite player that he tries to emulate on the ice is Dani Forsberg. Despite Forsberg being a wing, and Robinson a center, it was the responsible play style that won Forsberg back to back Jeff Dar trophies in seasons 43 and 44 that caught Kevin's eye. This doesn't sacrifice other parts of his game, as Forsberg managed to lead the West Kendall Platoon in both of those season. These days, a veteran in the league, Forsberg balances his 90 defense rating with 88 scoring and 95 passing. A player with that type of defensive ability and all around excellence is someone that Kevin Robinson can hope to be compared to come draft day and in his career.

[Image: 7ICBY0z.png]
[Image: 15Ng51w.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2019, 02:59 PM by charlieconway.)

<The following is an excerpt from an August 13th interview with Raiders prospect Adam Barron by PuckShack News>

[...]

Langdon Alger: Moving on, could you talk a bit about who you model your game after?

Adam Barron: Sure. I try and look at players in the SHL that play a similar game to mine, and I get the sense that New England's Tigole Bitties (@Ace) has many of the same strengths and weaknesses, though obviously he plays at a higher level.

LA: What kind of similarities in particular? Be specific.

AB: Well, he's a guy that focuses on passing a lot. He's great at finding the open man. And if there's not one open, he's very comfortable skating the puck out of danger. We're similar in that he seems to approach defense with a cerebral approach, one that relies more on solid positioning and puck movement, and less on checking.

LA: He's a pretty accomplished hitter, though.

AB: True, but from talking about him with some professional scouts and staff, they say it's something he's had to work extra hard at. I appreciate that... I admire it. It didn't come naturally, but he was willing to put the work in. That's what makes him such a great defender. He's got everything you'd want in a defenseman, and he got there via a determined mindset. I hope to emulate that someday.

LA: Your hitting isn't anywhere near his at this point. Have you tried to work on it without success, or is it something you're not focusing on right now?

AB: Attention to that part of my game will come with time. Right now I'm focused improving my puck movement and skating. At this point I think it's important to offer the coaches in Halifax dependability with the puck, less so being a menace on the ice without it.

LA: Speaking of the Raiders, how has the early season been?

[...]

(300 words. Players mentioned are my own and New England Wolfpack defenseman Tigole Bitties.)

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

Tibuk Soonika is one of the Goaltenders I admire that is currently playing in the SHL. A Rookie, having a very strong season with the Chicago Syndicate, while being in the top half of the goaltenders in the entire SHL is not a easy thing to do. For that, Soonika has my admiration.

His game and ability are different, but show some similarities to my own. Not the strongest skater, I would say I'm not far behind him and perhaps even more agile, but his ability to react to plays, shots, tips, and everything else in the SHL speed of a game is impressive. Soonika relays on this heavily as his foundation of his game is speed based. I myself try to be a strong skater to always be in a position to make the save, while still having the quick reaction time that Soonika has trained so hard for. His rebound control is excellent however in comparison to mine as this area is the one are we're massively different in.

Although it won't be easy, his game is always on my mind when I train. Pushing me to become faster, quicker, and overall just a freak in the net. If I want to make the SHL I will have to learn from his film and apply that to my own game. Once I finally play that is.

@Carpy48, @sulovilen, and @Ragnar are signature gods
[Image: MaverickLegend.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]
Dragonite

Growing up, François was a fan of good hockey and didn't really have a specific player that he looked up to, but upon entering the SMJHL, he quickly found a liking to Petr Mikulak, a Vancouver Whalers alumni. Although the rumors about him are fairly questionable, his presence demands respect, mirroring his knowledge of the game.

With 85 defense and puck handling, François admired the way Petr always manages to be exactly where he needs to be to intercept the puck and effortlessly carry it to the offensive zone. While François is not as strong a goal scorer as Petr is, François has taken an inspiration in his play and hopes to improve his ability, while at the same time improving his strength of passing to ensure his team's success.

While there is a long, tough road ahead of François in terms of his SMJHL success, he has confidence in his ability to reach the goals he sets for himself.

(160 words)

[Image: a7leg1V.png]