Create Account

S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame

[Image: IqZMefR.png]

Written Task: The league wants its players to visit high schools around the states and provinces in which they play and talk to the students about life before SHL fame! You're tasked with talking to the students about the jobs you had before the SHL: What were the jobs? Did you enjoy them? Did you learn anything from them? Did any of them have an impact on your life or career?  (must be 150+ words)
For example, did you know that as a 15 year old, before he was a top prospect for the San Francisco Pride, Jonas Larsen @DaftRaincloud was an equipment manager for the Seattle Riot and spent his afternoons after school scooping up used jockstraps from the locker room floor, thus learning firsthand how much grit and sweat it takes to be an SHL superstar? Or that his SFP teammate Jack Tanner @Beaver was a teen sensation as a background dancer (a very far in the background dancer) for Taylor Swift at concerts? Cool stuff!

Graphic Task: Make a "hockey card" featuring a before-the-fame picture of your player at their non-SHL job. Must include player render (either full body or face) in their non-hockey-player-job setting. List the player's name and "position" (put their pre-hockey job as their position). Graphics should ideally be better than the atrocity I created at the top of this post, though I guess that is not technically a requirement.

Additional Information:

You will receive 3 capped TPE for fulfilling all requirements. 
This PT will close Sunday, August 18 at 10PM EST.

Welfare claims from either PBE or the NSFL are accepted! *if you’re claiming welfare and have a different username on the affiliate's site then you need to state that in your post to get credit.*

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.

Any questions/concerns, please PM me.
Note: Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2019, 09:26 PM by JamesT.)

Code:
Written Task: The league wants its players to visit high schools around the states and provinces in which they play and talk to the students about life before SHL fame! You're tasked with talking to the students about the jobs you had before the SHL: What were the jobs? Did you enjoy them? Did you learn anything from them? Did any of them have an impact on your life or career?  (must be 150+ words)

I fondly remember my high school days and being obsessed with hockey by practicing early and after classes. The struggle that my parents had to financially support the hockey program and by getting me new equipment whenever i would break a stick or mess up my skates. Around 16 I decided that I couldn't constantly rely on my parents to always pay for my hockey belongings, so I decided to get a part-time job at the movie theater!

I worked part-time on the weekends working the concession stands at my movie theater downtown and my experience there had its ups and downs (as most jobs do). The pros were that I got to work and meet lots of cool and friendly people who taught me how to communicate properly and be efficient in my tasks. Another pro was gaining free movie tickets as well! I didn't really watch movies at the theater before working, but since I was able to receive free movie tickets I took full advantage of that benefit. Cons were the late hours and the amount of cleaning that was required of the job. 

Even though I took this job to help pay for my hockey career back in the day, I made lifelong friends from that experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. My experience at the movie theater helped shape me into the person I am today on and off the ice.

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2019, 08:27 AM by FinnRhys.)

Before I got my big break with the SMJHL and SHL I was trying to make my way in a different league and sport altogether. I was drafted first overall in the second season of the now defunct Simulation Lacrosse League and it was awesome. I played for the Michigan Hellhounds for only a few games before the league closed up shop.

I was sent home to wander the cold streets of Anchorage and search for work and I honestly didn't know what I was going to do. I moved back in with my parents and got work as a pizza delivery guy at Great Alaska Pizza Company on the corner of Dimond and Sand Lake. It wasn't a bad job but it wasn't great either. I got all the free pizza I wanted from the wrong orders and I got to drive around and meet people and earn a few decent tips. Note: college kids are garbage at tipping, up on the Hillside though, they are awesome tippers. Ultimately, I knew this wasn't going to be a career and so I started searching.

I was listless and searching for something greater and that's when one of my SLL friends asked if I had thought about playing hockey again. I'd played hockey growing up and it was a passion but I'd gone to college to play lacrosse and had given up hockey as a viable option. The passion was there, though, so I gave it a try and ended up signing as an undrafted free agent in the SMJHL and now got drafted by an SHL team.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

ph

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2019, 01:28 AM by SecondSucks22.)

My time in Highschool was entirely hockey based. From the age of 15 I was playing for a good spot in the OHL draft, and from 16 on it was school and training. But my time spent with the Kitchener Rangers, and my home town Guelph Storm taught me dedication to the sport, sportsmanship, and teamwork that I dont think I ever could have gained anywhere else. There was a short period of time there where I was balancing school, OHL, and a seasonal job at Sears Canada working in the mens departement as a means of making the money to get my girlfriend at the time a christmas gift, and in doing that I learned about suits, how nasty old women can be around a sale, and that its almost impossible to wake up at 5am for training before school, and go to bed at midnight after school, a 5 to 11 shift, and homework. Never again.

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Simmer claim

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

[Image: 8-A75-B079-E315-4-AE6-B227-B460-C91-C0-F34.jpg]

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Life before Elijah Jones had a bit of fame to his name. Jones worked at the zoo as a volunteer. Elijah Jones had an interest in biology and could see himself growing into a zookeeper one day. The zoo is one of the ultimate places of joy for young Elijah Jones. The birds, the mammals, all the animals captivated Jones’ mind. Talking to the young students, Elijah Jones managed to convey that being a hockey player is cool but there are other fulfilling opportunities out there. If you like to work outside, being a zookeeper could be the job for you. Almost everyone loves animals, and if they don’t then what’s up with them? As a volunteer, Elijah Jones learned a lot about how the zoo worked. He told the students, “I like life at the Zoo. I like life in Anchorage, too!” There are multiple avenues for people and while a lot of these students look at athletes as their role models, there are other professions that deserve the same respect.

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

Noah Konn grew up in suburban Russia doing quite a few jobs before reaching SHL fame. His first job was a rather dirty one, basically just cleaning up around a machine job that was down the road from where he grew up. He slowly slid into very low-level actual mechanic work before moving on to his second job. He then went on to working on boats, and to be more specific, the metal stanchions that typically provide shade on boats (primarily private ones). That was short-lived, however, and he then found himself on his third and final job before going pro. He worked at a local amusement park (no it was not Chernobyl). He started out just working the cash register & providing tickets / bands to people wanting to enjoy the rides, but eventually worked his way up to strapping people into the rides & actually operating it. He did this for nearly two years before declaring for the SMJHL.

Words: 160

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER

First off, it is so great to be back in my old high school. This place has barely changed since I was here. It still looks like a prison but hopefully it doesn't feel like one, haha. I've been asked to come talk to you guys about my time before hitting the SHL. Let me tell you it wasn't easy but it is adversity that builds strength. Did you guys know I didn't even make the team here? It's true. I had the size growing up but I couldn't get my skills together. So what did I do? I got as many back breaking jobs as I could to build up my strength and conditioning while working on my skills in my free time. First, I grabbed a job at Graziano's shoveling gravel. I got blisters the size of quarters my very first day. I had the sun beating down on me all day in 90 plus degree weather. It was awful but it taught me how to make the best out of a bad situation. On the weekends, I was digging graves and doing landscaping at the local cemetery. Digging was more of the same manual labor that helped me get strong enough to play with the big boys. The landscaping helped me focus in the finer details. I brought that over to my game. Keeping a sharp eye to see a play develop and get in the way before it happens. So keep at whatever you love doing. It'll come. Push yourself. Be uncomfortable sometimes. Thank you.

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Growing up in rural Norway Jonas had a lot of odd jobs to make money. He started off working at the local ice arena there in Skien, maintaining the ice and the facilities for the local semi-professional team and the people who would come in for free skate. Contrary to the rumors put out there by people like @hotdog Jonas never did and never would help in any way a team from the city of Seattle. He was, however, an equipment manager for the Portland Winterhawks for a short time before he became a member of their roster. However Hotdog was correct about the sheer number of jock straps that Jonas had to cart around. Too many to count, and to this day it's why he refuses to wear one even when on the ice, electing instead to free ball it. Jonas will be filing a libel suit against Hotdog shortly.

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/glswenson.gif[/img]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/agentchadjohnson.gif[/img]

As a teenagar, Klaus found himself doing jobs around the house at home. Being related to Santa Claus isn't as fun as it sounds, and when he's your dad you know that you have extra chores to do. Wrapping up presents around Christmas time was the biggest concern for Klaus before he moved to America, and it meant that he had to work incredibly hard. It never felt like a chore to him though, rather something he wanted to do to make a lasting impact on the lives of millions of children around the word. That's not to say it was all fun and games. It definitely taught him the value of hard work and the way that your actions can leaving lasting impressions on the lives of those you touch. It set him in the mindset to always be a happy go lucky person and to make sure he always gave the best vibes when he was around people. There is a lot that can be taken from his childhood.

[Image: Klaus2.jpg]

When I was 12 years old I used to be a paper boy, I would go around the nearby areas and drop ´ad leaflets´ to every mailbox. That was not as fun during the winter time and when it rained, but was a decent workout and I think those times when I was soaking wet and cold gave me a extra push to do my best in practice - which then again has helped me to come this far as a player.

That job lasted for around 12 or so months - because - one day I saw a ´Help wanted´ sign on a light post. They were looking for someone to come in and teach their son to rap. At the time rap was huge in Finland, all the kids even dressed like they were rappers. You know me - man of the streets and all that, so I called the number and one thing led to another, I was now teaching a kid to rap three times per week. The job paid a lot more than the paper route, but was a lot tougher mentally. The little boy I tried to teach how to rap refused to use any swear words, 75% of my lyrics were just swearing at things, so I struggled. The boy also wanted to have a quitar solos in almost every song, at that point I had enough - I could not do it and quit.

After that I mainly focused in playing hockey and trying to do well in school.

Joseph Lombardi grew up in Voorhees, New Jersey, a small, hockey-crazed town. So, when a 15-year-old Lombardi, in the midst of a promising high school career at Eastern Regional High School, looked for a job (his first in the workforce), there was only one place where he wanted to work: the Skate Zone. The Skate Zone is an ice rink in Voorhees, which is a big deal because the Philadelphia Flyers practice there. So, he was hired there after a quick interview, and began working at the pro shop there, calculating the costs of people's skates, helmets, and sticks. It also allowed him to get employee discounts on gear, and a chance to meet some professional hockey players, and if people needed help finding equipment, the young Lombardi would instantly help anyone that needed to find gear. This explains why Lombardi has such aptitude with equipment, as since he worked in a pro shop, he knows pretty much everything about helmets, skates, gloves, and sticks.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Leopold Lockhart spent one, hot, terrible summer working as a lawn boy in his hometown of Concord, Massachusetts. He didn't do much marketing or anything, didn't pass out flyers or even go door to door and ask people if they needed their lawns mowed. He just got his parents to get his friends to pay him to mow their lawns. Aside from the really disgusting farmer's tan he ended up with, the job wasn't so bad. He'd just put headphones on and drive a riding mower around some lots all day. His dad stopped letting him use the mower after he ran over one too many garden hoses, though. The next summer, he worked as a lifeguard, but he didn't like that much either because the pool moms were too flirty and it creeped him out. After that, he just stuck to babysitting his little sisters. That didn't pay as well...actually, it didn't pay at all, but it was definitely more chill than the other two. And anyway, he was just biding his time until he could get payed to play hockey. Didn't learn much from his summer jobs at all.

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page