Create Account

S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame

Before his fame, Tyler Tougard worked in a large grocery store, bopping around departments. It was never really a way to earn a living but was a way to earn cash to spend with his friends. As most of the people working in the store were doing it for a career, it was odd to think of it as a temporary thing. But working with them provided real-life knowledge and some sage wisdom.

I learned how to be safe in all situations. Rules aren't there to put you down or hold you back, they're there to keep people (especially yourself) safe. Some things seem stupid or pointless but that's because I was young, brash and stubborn.

I also learned how to deal with people effectively. You'd be surprised at the wide array of individuals you run into while working in a grocery store. Everyone is different, and you need to really listen to know what they want, rather than trying to find the answer. Be empathetic, it goes a long way.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

Before I got my break in and was picked up by SMJHL scouts for my hockey ability, I had a job working as a cart pusher for my local grocery store. Every day, rain or shine, I'd be outside busting my ass retrieving carts from the parking lot for one of the busiest grocery stores in the city. This job required a high level of endurance and helped to develop my strength, as pushing 12+ carts at a time by hand (we only had 1 cart pushing machine) over and over again up the hill to the store entrance was actually a bit of a workout. Me and the boys out there in the parking lot built a strong bond together as teammates, often competing with each other to see who could deliver the most carts in the quickest amount of time. All in all, this gig put me in a strong position to succeed on the ice with the combination of endurance and strength training, and showing me how to work well with teammates.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png] [Image: UDyqktK.png]

Name: Przemysław Brzeszczyczkiewicz
Pre-SHL Job: Part Time Patrolman

[Image: QlRoKzP.jpg]

[Image: PvZbGlD.png]
[Image: FszcRvP.png]
Thanks @"AndrewWarren13" for the sig

I was always looking to be around a rink, so when I got a job working for the Hamilton Steelhawks when my dad played there it was amazing. Helping maintaining the ice, doing routine maintenance around the building, or even working the canteen. No job was turned down by me as I was just happy to be around the ice as much as possible. By far, my favourite part of that job though, was driving the zamboni. I don't think there's to many people that have seen a zamboni going and not got the urge to drive it and I got to live out that dream. I had a few odd jobs during the summer when the rink wasn't being used as much, but none of them compare to the fun I had working for the Steelhawks. Also the pay wasn't that bad either, plus the perks of being able to go one the ice whenever wanted if it wasn't being used.

[Image: Bk1689.gif]

NSFL Ultimus PT

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

I touched on this in my resume, but before I became a free agent, later signed superstar, in the SMJHL, I worked a few jobs. I did some time at Tim Horton's and I learned I don't like dealing with other people's shit. You come at me to vent your frustration like I am beneath you, and you're gonna have a bad time. Shit was crazy, but I tried to do good work. I took out the trash sometimes and made okay coffee. Filled it to the top for my bois. I would give people sleeves for their cups. Quit because they wanted to keep scheduling me during my rink time. Couldn't let that fly. After that, and bulking up over the school break, I became a bouncer for @dmills3's club, "Duck Duck Moose" in Toronto. That kind of job is one I recommend. Especially if the bartender is hot to trot which she was. As far as hockey goes, that job as a bouncer got me over a lot of things when it came to being confrontational. That and to not be an asshole to the wait staff. You ever saw the movie "Waiting?" That shit totally happens.

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

Code:
Written Task: The league wants its players to visit high schools around the states and provinces in which they play and talk to the students about life before SHL fame! You're tasked with talking to the students about the jobs you had before the SHL: What were the jobs? Did you enjoy them? Did you learn anything from them? Did any of them have an impact on your life or career?  (must be 150+ words)

I honestly didn't have a lot of jobs growing up since I was so focused on hockey, but I was hired by a local minor league team to help them out in certain ways that are really paying off in my time with the Specters: filling water bottles and opening bench doors.

I got a job as a young lad in San Diego with the local San Diego Gulls team.  I basically brought tape and other supplies to the players when they needed it.  I assisted the equipment managers by making sure that the water bottles were always filled, whether it was before the game or during the game.  I took A LOT of pride in really spacing the water bottles out on the bench so that everyone had an equal chance at sweet hydration.  Water is key, that's why in the SHL I sit mostly on the bench and drink water all game.  I also would open one of the bench doors in game for the team.  Apparently the backup goalie who may or may not be awake during the game is much more valuable than I was, so he couldn't risk injury by working those pesky doors.

And this just highlights to the youths why getting a job early is key to your life development.  Look at me now!  I still pretty much only fill up water bottles and open doors.... and I'm in the SHL!  See, dreams do come true.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

[Image: qXn3v97.png]

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Alright kids let's have a little sit down with old grandpa luffy. Rounding the corning on a clean 22 years old and making the big bucks with SHL. Life wasn't always like this with the fame and fortune. It all started in the humble beginnings just like you kids. Just a random kid in high school playing hockey every day. I started working at a ripe old age at 14 to help my parents pay through the expensive sport of hockey. I started at the local blockbuster (pretty sure nobody knows what that is anymore). It was a modest job just restocking movies on the shelves but I stayed there until they closed down. From there I just landscape in the off-season. Cutting grass and staying in shape by hauling bricks and sod around. Sadly I don't need to do that for money now in the off-season now I just play video games, hit the gym, and watch anime.

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Written Task: The league wants its players to visit high schools around the states and provinces in which they play and talk to the students about life before SHL fame! You're tasked with talking to the students about the jobs you had before the SHL: What were the jobs? Did you enjoy them? Did you learn anything from them? Did any of them have an impact on your life or career?  (must be 150+ words)

First of all, i think this is a great idea by the SHL. It really shows that the league is socially involved. Unfortunately Gordie Boomhover is not a great example for the high-school students as he did not have any jobs before he joined the SHL. He started playing hockey when he was only 3 years old and he started playing professional before he quited school. It shows though that you can become good in anything if you waste no time and start early, so that is something Gordie would give as an advice to the students. Work hard, be committed 100% to what you like and success will come sooner than later. That said, Gordie just recently started learning some programming languages in his free time as he already prepares for live after hockey. It is nice to have something besides hockey and it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan!

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

As a sixteen-year-old Knox Booth worked as a deck hand for a commercial fishing boat off the coast of Vancouver Island. Knox grew up steps from the sea so naturally he was drawn to the water and obtaining a job as a deck hand was relatively easy on the tiny island. However, being a deck hand wasn’t all it was cracked up to be as one of the main tasks was both gutting and cleaning the captured fish. After Knox had completed this initial task he then had to bring the fish below the deck of the boat and store them in a cold freezer. When Knox wasn’t participating in the murder of countless helpless fish he was busy cleaning the boat or assisting with whatever physical labour the Skipper needed completed. Knox also had to learn how to drive the large boat as it was common for a Skipper to die at sea, and should that be the case Knox would have to drive the boat back to shore. Not before burying the Skipper at sea and leaving him to be consumed by the very fish he spent his life consuming, thus allowing the fish the sweet taste of revenge.

[Image: f7IGJw3.png]
[Image: UFYQyLU.png]

Getting into hockey a little later than most I had to hustle double time to get better at the game as fast as possible. Unfortunately that didn't leave me with many opportunities for jobs since I needed something part time to work around practice hours and time I needed to put into getting better at skating. Being from the small town that I am there weren't many opening either so I ended up at every high schoolers favorite job, McDonalds. While it wasn't ideal work or pay it did give me the luxury of working the hours I needed around my practices and school. The pay wasn't great but the little extra money went into new equipment when I saved up enough over longer periods of time as well. Anything helped. I won't say I liked the job but it did what it needed to and it helped teach me valuable lessons on working with people and for people that I can still use to this day. Plus who doesn't love the "free" food when the managers aren't looking.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

Anthony Archer always had a burning passion for hockey. Playing travel hockey through every season except summer occupied all his time, however when the off season came around and everyone went their separate ways, Archer returned home to perform small tasks around the community and help make some extra cash to fund his activities and gather some funds for the next travel season. Archer put fliers up around the neighborhood advertising chores such as lawn mowing, car washing, hockey lessons, baby sitting and any of those other generic chores we would do for money as teenagers. Archer spent many days working multiple chores as he expanded his advertising to the community's craigslist, and would find himself completing one chore and hopping on his bike to ride across town and complete another, making well over $100 on some days. By the end of the summer, Archer had accumulated several thousand dollars every year doing this, helping his parents pay for his travel hockey fees and pave his way to a successful hockey career.

Anthony Archer - S49 12th Overall
1x IIHF Silver Medalist (S51)
2x WJC Gold Medalist (S48, S49)
2x Four Star Cup Finalist (S48, S50)
SMJHL: 42G 40A 82P 304HIT // SHL: 17G 17A 34P 326HIT

[Image: AA42.png]

Anders Christiansen grew up in Norway, but he had what he would call a pretty normal uprising. However, since he grew up in Bergen, he was in a city surrounded by nature where he spent a lot of is free time. Christiansen went to a public high school during the day and went to hockey practice at night four times a week. Most games were on the weekends or on Friday nights. At his high school, the local professional soccer team recruit volunteers to be ball boys for the games. It was unpaid, but technically it was Anders first job as he did it at least 10 times a year for four years. After, he helped with the family business which provides services for outdoor activities such as location and arranging group tour for hikes in the nearby mountain. It was also a place where tourist could go to get information about things to do in the surrounding area.
159 words

Nor Ge

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

Before Nolan McMahon started playing professional hockey and get drafted by the Los Angeles Panthers, he was a janitor. Not just any janitor though. At the age of 18 he actually held the position of janitor at the Smithsonian. It was quite the job for a young energetic kid. As a history buff, it was the perfect job for a young history nerd. McMahon learned a lot of stuff about the Untied States' history and how it shaped the way things are today. Although he wasn't a huge fan of living in Washington for a year he did enjoy his job. However, he did state that it helped him with responsibility but also taught him that people are straight up gross. One kid puked in the washroom but instead of using the toilet or even the sink, he used a tote bag and placed it in the farthest back bathroom stall. Not only that but Nolan once had to clean up gum from an artifact without being able to tough the artifact itself.

[Image: cDMBWce.png]
[Image: 0tCQttQ.png]
LA Panthers Goaltender