Create Account

Casual Midday Catchup with Phineas

1292 Words. Ready to Grade

In a surprise broadcast to our viewers, we here at the studio are catching up with Phineas before today’s matches.  We caught up with him early this morning before he left for the stadium.  Our plan is to ask him a few questions about his casual lifestyle here in Montreal outside of his work for the Militia during his rookie season.  
Phineas, it’s good to see you again.  We wanted to catch up and help take some pressure off you.  A lot has been going on during your rookie season and we want to give fans the low down on what you do when you are at home and relaxing.  What is your usual weekend routine?

Hey guys, it is good to see you again. I am going to start off sounding a little boring.  I come from a small town with not much to do besides eat great Italian food and grab a few beers now and then.  I’ve been trying to adjust to the great night life and new cuisine options here in Montreal.  I guess a typical day would usually have me waking up at 5:30-6:00 AM.  First thing I do is for a morning run with my golden retriever, Ice.  That usually lasts about 30 minutes before coming home and eating a high protein meal and making sure that Ice gets fed.  Afterwards, I usually head out for another run that lasts another half hour.  After my morning workout.  I head to the ice to do some skating drills.  Usually other members of the team are there, but I have been practicing with my line mates early in the morning to figure out each other’s skills.  We might not play the 1st line yet, but we gotta go out there and show our skills every game.  After ice time is done I usually head to the gym for some strength training which leads me to about 1pm.  From 1-4pm my time is my own.  I’ve been taking the busses here everywhere.  I am trying to find the best Montreal lunch food. For me, lunch food means a nice greasy spoon diners! I went on Yelp and basically started running up the list of what people recommend.  Some people start at the top of a list, I am more of the guy that starts on the bottom.  If you start with the best, where do you go from there? At 4pm it is back on the ice for team training and special team training until 8pm.  Then its home to my apartment to cook some dinner.  Tonight we’re making an eggplant parmesan.  My meals might sound highly caloric, but this is just the weekend! The rest of the week is salads and lean meats and proteins.  Usually at night you might find me either on the couch playing my PS4 or going out for drinks with the guys.  I am not a huge drinker and usually prefer chocolate milk, but I’ll go for a nice cold beer every now and then.

That sounds like what I do! Minus the hockey and running.  I have to say that it sounds like you are really taking advantage of being here.  I am going to go out of my way to first ask the question all our viewers are probably dying to know.  Tell us about you and Ice!?

Well there is not much to tell!  I had just moved to Montreal knowing absolutely no one here.  I was feeling a little lonely so far from home and in another country that I decided I needed to do something for myself. I always wanted a dog but was never able to get one living at home under my parent’s roof.  My mother absolutely HATES dogs.  So when I got to Montreal I looked up the address of the closest shelter so I could go rescue a dog.  When I walked into the shelter I was immediately assaulted by all different howls and noises.  It was hard to make a decision, I almost went for this one corgi until I found Ice.  He was in the back of the room kind of on his own.  I have to give some context for what happens next.  The floors were hard wood but very slick.  Someone in socks could have easily been sliding around and having a ball.  Which is exactly what Ice was doing.  He was running and then just flopping down and having a nice slide.  What can I say? I immediately fell in love.  That is also how he got his name!  Now he and I love wolfing down food next to each other and going for runs and general chillaxing.  I’m working on his Chel skills currently although he doesn’t seem to have much interest in the controller.  One day…

Man’s best friend, am I right? Sounds like you and Ice are fitting right in here with the Montreal culture.  Though I am a little flabbergasted to find that you are a good chef.  Not many people your age are going around cooking full blown eggplant parms.  What’s your history in cooking and can you share the eggplant parm recipe?

Sure, sure! Ummmm, I got into cooking at a young age.  My parents both love to cook and when I was born I became their little sous chef.  I started with the basics.  Just peeling and washing vegetable at the age of 3.  When I grew older, the time I spent not on the ice was helping prepare dinners for the family.  I was cutting and chopping by age 6.  Baking by age 12 with my mother (I got a great Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake recipe that is divine!). And now I am making whatever looks good on the internet. Tonight’s eggplant parm is an easy recipe.

First I had to buy the eggplants. I bought 2 for the recipe.

Cut the, up into thin slices but not too thing.  You want them to have a little girth.

After cutting you want to salt them and let them sit for a while.  Doesn’t matter how long but at least an hour.  This allowed the eggplant to shed excess moisture and get more flavor.  If it has too much water in it then when you bake or fry it, it will all come out.

Today we are frying the eggplants.  So after the salting, I prepare a pan with about an inch of oil.  For the eggplant breading I mixed up two eggs and got some bread crumbs.  Then I dip the eggplant into the egg, the breadcrumbs, and then in the hot oil for about 2 minutes a side.

Once everything is nice and crispy it’s time to assemble your layers.  Tomato sauce, eggplant, cheese in that order! Ending with extra sauce and cheese on top!

Since our eggplants are already cooked because of the frying, we just stick it in an oven at 350 for about 20 minutes until all that cheese has melted.  I’ll let you know how it all goes next time ok?

Sounds delicious Phineas! Let me be the first to say that I am going to go right home after this and try your recipe out immediately. That is about all the time we have right now.  We know you have some important games coming up today and we do not want to break your concentration.  As always, we hope you get another Phineas GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALD in the next few games.  We’ll be watching from the sidelines.

Yah… Phineas goaaaald…..  Does that not get more awkward the more you say that????

Never! And I am paid to say it by your agent so expect to hear it every time!!! Signing off.  The 12 o’clock news in next.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]