Create Account

CP, Your New SMJHL Intern AMA
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2019, 05:27 PM by CleverPin.)

Very excited to be taking on the reigns as one of two new SMJHL Interns this season, I would love to answer any questions you guys might have of me! Here's to a great rest of the season!

Cheers, CP

What do you think gave you the edge over other applicants?
I'm not really sure to be honest. I'm certain there were a lot of very qualified individuals who were against me in the running that could have easily taken my spot, but I'm happy that HO's judgement swung in my favor. I feel as though it had to with my level of integration into the league in such a short time and the drive I've shown as a member of the community. I expressed my willingness to speak out against the status quo, and having a devil's advocate in some situations is something I think they may have found valuable.

Is it true you are there to stop the Whaler's LR from being fun?
Yes, my plan is to tyrannically reign over our team's locker room for the foreseeable future as I dominate you with the rule book which I have yet to read in full.

Why don't you use my signature I made you :( ?
I totally forgot to use the sig rotator, shit

Pineapple on Pizza, good or bad?
Now hopefully this doesn't receive the reaction I got when I told HO that I like mayo and tomato sandwhiches, but I love pineapple on pizza. It's great, and Hawaiian is my favorite type of pizza!

Favorite Pizza topping?
Ham or Pepperoni, I'm definitely a meat loving type of guy.

Favorite Legend of Zelda Game?
Ocarnia of Time for the 3DS, hands down. So much fun.

Who doesn't like CP from time to time?
I have been informed recently that I have an unfortunate abbreviation, thank god my real initials aren't CP.

There are some players getting paid less than their first season in the SMJHL after getting drafted to a SHL team, could this be taken into consideration and allow their SMJHL team to offer a small allowance/bonus for staying down?
I think that while this is certainly an interesting concept, it doesn't really have any grounding. SMJHL teams aren't responsible for the contracts their SHL counter parts issue their players, and when it's left to GM discretion it becomes a battle of bonuses. I think the biggest reason players get $3m in their rookie year down in the SMJHL is to help them get a jump start on their career. Having to scrounge for money within your first week on the site is definitely the most fun sounding idea, and that initial contract is more there to boost players and give them a fallback during the integration period. What I would be more willing to see (this may already exist) is for SHL team's to take one of two options with draftees.

1) Standardized entry level contracts. Rookies must sign two years between a pay scale (let's say 2m-3m) based upon their draft position. Higher draft picks gain larger contracts, as per expectations in the real life NHL. This way, rookie contracts are eliminated as a concern, and it's done in an automatic fashion. The one reason I dislike this idea is because it takes away from the customization and character development aspect of each user.

2) Reduced pay for SMJHL Send Downs. This is quite a simple idea, with SHL team's paying a reduced cut of a player's contract while they're in juniors. This way, player's could take bigger contracts without their SHL team feeling the repercussions. An easy number to choose would be 50%. This means that if a player signed a $6m contract, the SHL team would only be liable for $3m so long as the player remained in the SMJHL.

How excited are you to be sharing your duties with that handsome devil, Thatguy91?
Very excited! I think we're going to make a great team of interns this season, and I'm really stoked to see what all we can accomplish!

Don't you have more money coming in than you could spend so why bother with a job?
I didn't take this job for the money at all. It's true that I do have $11.5m already racked up with another $8m ish waiting to be graded, and so money isn't a concern for me. I took the job as intern because I wanted to get my foot in the door for league administration, and because I wanted to be able to be in the conversations that change the landscape of the league. Being part of the discussion is important to me, and getting my say is of high priority. I also think that being in a position in Head Office is actually something I will enjoy. I've always liked managing people and paying attention to the fine details of things, so this was the exact right fit for me.

[Image: ws92zPV.png]
FIRST SHIFT, FIRST GAME, FIRST SHOT, FIRST GOAL
[img=0x0]https://i.ibb.co/4fx7RqP/first-goal.png[/img]

What do you think gave you the edge over other applicants?
Is it true you are there to stop the Whaler's LR from being fun?
Why don't you use my signature I made you :( ?
Pineapple on Pizza, good or bad?
Favorite Pizza topping?
Favorite Legend of Zelda Game?

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

Who doesn't like CP from time to time

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

This question may be above the pay grade of an intern but something to think about. There are some players getting paid less than their first season in the SMJHL after getting drafted to a SHL team, could this be taken into consideration and allow their SMJHL team to offer a small allowance/bonus for staying down?

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

How excited are you to be sharing your duties with that handsome devil, Thatguy91?

And congratulations bud!

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Don't you have more money coming in than you could spend so why bother with a job? ( You can always donate something to your teammates. )

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

@Nokazoa @SlashACM @Naosu @puolivalmiste @Thatguy91

All answered Smile

[Image: ws92zPV.png]
FIRST SHIFT, FIRST GAME, FIRST SHOT, FIRST GOAL
[img=0x0]https://i.ibb.co/4fx7RqP/first-goal.png[/img]

In just here to chime in on the mayo and tomato sandwiches... people dont like that? Toast the bread, throw some salt and pepper on it and you're good to go.

[Image: Bk1689.gif]

Favorite Final Fantasy game? Why?

What's better, knocking the opponent off the puck with a big hit, or blocking a shot?

Why is Qdoba better than Chipotle?

An smjhl player is found guilty of leaking their locker room secrets. Is it acceptable to punish them by death?

Who's your favorite J player? Why is it Derek Bohne Jr?

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

Quote:What do you think gave you the edge over other applicants?
I'm not really sure to be honest. I'm certain there were a lot of very qualified individuals who were against me in the running that could have easily taken my spot, but I'm happy that HO's judgement swung in my favor. I feel as though it had to with my level of integration into the league in such a short time and the drive I've shown as a member of the community. I expressed my willingness to speak out against the status quo, and having a devil's advocate in some situations is something I think they may have found valuable.

Good answer.

Quote:Is it true you are there to stop the Whaler's LR from being fun?
Yes, my plan is to tyrannically reign over our team's locker room for the foreseeable future as I dominate you with the rule book which I have yet to read in full.

I knew it

Quote:Why don't you use my signature I made you :( ?
I totally forgot to use the sig rotator, shit

#hurt #betrayal #wow

Quote:Pineapple on Pizza, good or bad?
Now hopefully this doesn't receive the reaction I got when I told HO that I like mayo and tomato sandwiches, but I love pineapple on pizza. It's great, and Hawaiian is my favorite type of pizza!
My go to for a while was a bacon and pineapple pizza. Now its bacon and spinach.

Quote:Favorite Pizza topping?
Ham or Pepperoni, I'm definitely a meat loving type of guy.

Something something betting you like "meat"

Quote:Favorite Legend of Zelda Game?
Ocarnia of Time for the 3DS, hands down. So much fun.

Surprised it wasn't BotW but that's a good pick.

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

How do you feel about joining a defending gold medalist IIHF team next year?

How have you managed to adjust to the league so fast?

How high do you see yourself being drafted?

How do you feel that you’ve been doing in the SMJHL so far?

How are you getting along with your teammates?

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

Do you feel like you're getting a better idea of the SHL teams at this point?

If you could choose any SHL destination, where would it be?

Do you have any interest in taking a GM job down the line?

Any Swedish players you're looking forward to taking the ice with in the IIHF?

How did you find the site?

What has surprised you most about the SHL?

Favorite NHL team?

What else are you watching these days?

Why does ever toaster have a "burn the shit out of your bread" setting?