Create Account

Check in with St. Louis Scarecrows featuring Lyle Odelein III

We are just under halfway into S49 of the SMJHL.  A quick look at the standings shows the Detroit Falcons and Kelowna Knights atop the standings (Detroit with a game in hand).  The reigning Laurifer trophy winners (2 years running) are 5 points back from the leaders, with a record of 10-8-2.  Going into this season, the Crows had a monster draft, drafting 10 new members of the team all of which are in the line-up this season.  This first start of the season has shown that these rookies came to play, with Yamamoto Mitsuharu leading the rookies with 10 points.  All of the rookies have contributed to the scoresheet, a good sign of what’s to come in the future when the young Crows take the reigns from the current point leaders of the team, Nicolaj Muller @esilverm, Mika Kandinsky @Mika_Kandinsky and Barrett Blackwood @MrStennett.  These three players make up the top line for the Scarecrows, a line that last season dominated the league with both Muller and Kandinsky breaking the St. Louis single season point record.  This season, with Blackwood joining the duo, they haven’t missed a beat. All three players are playing dynamite hockey, each one of them with over 20 points in 20 games, which has them all sitting near the top of the league for points.  On the defensive side of things, 2nd overall pick in the S49 SHL draft Noah Brusky@BrewskyBoy is showing the league why he was selected by Texas with the 2nd pick of the draft.  His impressive rookie campaign wasn’t a fluke, Noah brings his all to the rink each game.  He has been paired with one of the Crows alternate captains, Lyle Odelein III.  This new pairing has been playing very well together, both players have a +6 =/- raiting, and have combined for almost 50 hits and 50 blocked shots.  We got the chance to have a quick chat after a St. Louis practice with one of these defenders, Lyle Odelein III. Here is that chat:

Q: Hey Lyle, thanks for stopping to talk with us.

A: No problem, I don’t have all that long, but I’m happy to chat for as long as I can.

Q: We’ll get right to it then.  Talk about the season so far, how do you feel the team has been doing?

A: I think we’ve been doing alright.  We have won more games than we’ve lost, so that’s always a good thing!  I think that we definitely have some room to improve though, I think we are due for a little winning streak here.  We’ve been a little bit inconsistent in this first half of the season, something we are working to straighten out.  We know we’ve got the players that we can win games with, so we aren’t too worried about it.

Q: Speaking of the players on the team, you’ve got 10 rookies in Crows jerseys this season, how has that been for you veterans?

A: It’s been great.  Being in the SMJHL there is always going to be a lot of turnover.  This group that we drafted have fit right into the team immediately after they were drafted.  Couldn’t have asked for a better group.  Guys like Yamamoto @TML99 , Ronlain@Rankle, Danglechek@acdangel, Gordon@twerkin4jesus, Vitalievich@NylarthePhoenix and Hernadivic@jfisherr have been huge additions to the team and the locker room, they are all going to be huge steals in S50 SHL draft, and help the Crows stay super competitive for the next few seasons.  The future looks bright in St. Louis.

Q: Talk to us about your season so far.

A: It’s been a tough one so far for me.  I’ve haven’t been getting much of that ‘puck luck’ as of late.  I’m been playing my usual game, but for some reason I’m just not getting the right looks or the right bounces.  I want to help win some games for the team, something that I don’t feel that I’ve been doing all that much of.

Q: I am guessing you are referring to your low shooting percentage, with 1 goal in 20 games and shooting percentage at 2.63%?

A: Fuck, is it really that low?? Ya, that’s what I’m talking about.

Q: You have to know that that won’t stay like that, you had a killer season last year, you were in the top ten for defender points, hits and blocked shots and then you went to the WJC and took home the award for the best defender in the whole tournament.  You’ll get those bounces soon enough.

A: I really hope so.  Like I said, I just want to be able to help the team win.  We want to have a good showing this season, in the regular season and especially in the playoffs.  There are going to be some call-ups at the end of this season, this team is very tight, and we all want to win for each other.

Q: You’ve also got a new defensive partner this season.  How has been playing with Noah?

A: Honestly, playing with Noah has been fantastic.  This guy is the real deal.  We’ve got each others backs on the ice, I have no worries when I’m playing with Noah, he is always going to make the right decision.  And he is just a great teammate overall.  He is a very active member in the locker room, and just an all around good guy.  The only knock on Noah is that he is a Green Bay fan.  With me being a Detroit Lions fan, I regularly have flashbacks of Aaron Rodgers throwing last second hail mary passes into the end zone and then seeing a yellow helmet pop up with the ball.  But with Noah, I can look past that, he’s a real solid dude.

Q: What do you want to see with the remainder of the season?

A: I want to see the Crows win it all.  Since I’ve been here we’ve had very successful regular seasons and very disappointing playoffs.  I want to see us go farther than I’ve seen us go this season.  Like I said before, we are going to see some of us get the call up after this season, I want to help the team win for everyone.  This may be the last season some of us play together, we all want to end on a high note, and I think we have what it takes to do that.

Q: Well, I don’t want to take up any more of your time, thanks for this and good luck with you upcoming games.  Any parting words?

A: Thanks a lot for the interview, as for final words, I’ll I want to say is, GO CROWS GO!!!

That was it for our quick chat with Lyle, we want to thank him again for his time and wish him and his St. Louis teammates luck and success in their upcoming games.  That about does it for our mid-season check in with the St. Louis Scarecrows, stay tuned for another installment as we get closer to the end of the season, and the push to the SMJHL playoffs!

Thanks for reading!

Word count - 1224

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

Crow gang! Good stuff @Huck24

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

Go Crows!!

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, and Ragnarr for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Scarecrows

[Image: DrbPYHV.png]   [Image: B4x6AQm.png]
Scarecrows Russia Wolfpack

Rest In Peace Dangel

1st SHL Goal - S52 Game 1 vs Tampa 3. New England Wolfpack , Jakub Bruchevski 1 (Eko Van Otter 1, Delver Fudgeson 2) at 8:10

Scarecrows Platoon Russia

[Image: F4iUWyS.png]