Create Account

PGS S49 Game 75: Detroit Falcons @ Halifax Raiders
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2019, 10:23 AM by CementHands.)

Falcons  Detroit Falcons vs Halifax Raiders  raiders
Game Link
On day 18 of our regular season we brought you coverage of the only game of the night, which saw the visiting Detroit Falcons (12-2-0) control the game from puck drop to buzzer en route to a smooth 4 - 0 victory over the Halifax Raiders (7-6-2). This was the third meeting of the season between the Falcons and Raiders, with the Falcons having a 2-1 edge in the season series. Both teams get a well deserved rest day tomorrow and are back at it on day 20, in the fourth match-up of the year between the two clubs with Halifax looking to bounce back from this loss, and Detroit will look to keep their stellar season rolling.

1st Period
The first period saw Detroit pepper shots at Halifax's goaltender Biz Nasty. All together they threw 19 on the target vs a measly 2 in response from the Raiders. Halifax was definitely slow out of the gate early on in this one as they also got caught up taking 3 penalties in the first, Adam Barron had 2 penalties from being caught flat-footed and taking down his opponent.
Jagger Fouquette opened the scoring at the end of a tough shift for the Raiders where they couldn't manage to move the puck out of the zone. Fouquette won a puck battle after a missed shot and buried the shot behind Nasty.

2nd Period
The second didn't offer up any kind of push back from the Raiders whatsoever. The Falcons out shot them 9-3 in the middle frame, and were able to take advantage of a face off win by Epsen Knutsen Jr. in the Falcons defensive zone where Savoli Tankovic took the puck end-to-end and fed Austin Roenick in the slot for the one-timer.

3rd Period
Detroit popped two quick back to back goals to open the period. Satoshi Zizagooney was able to retrieve his own blocked shot and put the second attempt in the back of the net. Less than 2 minutes later Izem Abioye picked off a breakout pass in the neutral zone and started what this writer thinks is the best display of line chemistry this year. 7 tight tape to tape passes that had Halifax looking like a Bantam team as Detroit put on a passing clinic in the offensive zone and Sako Anazibf eventually finished off the play with a goal that might as well have been a pass to the back of the net.
Halifax did put up a better shot effort in the final frame, tripling their shot total, but it was pretty obvious that Detroit took their foot off the pedal after the 4th marker and cruised to the victory.

Final Score
4  Falcons Detroit Falcons (W) - (L) Halifax Raiders  raiders  0

Three Stars
1 - Sako Anazibf  Falcons (1G, 1A, +2)
2 - Marc Palicka Jr.  Falcons (0G, 2A, +3)
3 - Austin Roenick  Falcons  (1G, 0A, +2)

3 Star Analysis
With Detroit's runaway of this game, there is no surprise that all 3 stars went to Falcons. Lets take a look at each and their performance.

1st Star - Skao Anazibf Falcons

Anazibf is a 3rd liner, but came in ready to play today. Skao got on the boards with a primary assist with Jagger Fouquette's goal to open up scoring 11:34 into the game. He then landed his own goal in the 3rd to finish the night with 2 points and a +2.

2nd Star - Marc Palicka Jr. Falcons

Marc Palicka is another one that no one expected to shine as he's on the 3rd blue line pair. But Marc gave 2 beautiful assists and coincidentally, both came on the plays that Skao got points on at well. He ended the night with a +3 and showed us all what a good defenseman can do. From protecting the blue line in the offensive zone, interrupting passing lines, and setting up the front 3 on offense - Palicka was really on fire tonight.

3rd Star - Austin Roenick Falcons

Austin Roenick is used to the spotlight. As a first ling winger, Austin is expected to perform each night and tonight was no exception. He put 1 goal on 3 shots with just under 20 minutes of ice time. His consistency is pivotal to the Falcon's offense and no surprise he landed the 3rd star.

Other Thoughts
What you didn't see here that surpised analysts is that Goalie Emiko Spector didn't land a star in the shutout of the Raiders. Does Simon T hate goalies? Is there a conspiracy? Why do goalies not get the love?

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

The Detroit Juggernaut

Honestly, it's almost getting boring. The Detroit Falcons have issued another shellacking, limiting a helpless Halifax team to just 15 shots, en route to their twelvth win in just fifteen games. Once again, the Falcons' stars shine brightly - Espen Knutsen Jr. notched his 17th and 18th assists of the season, and Emiko Spector, albeit probably bored at times, closed the door for the shutout. A good showing by Detroit's third line and third pairing saw Skao Anazibf and Marc Palicka Jr. rack up 2 points each in the win, demonstrating that even with their impressive offensive tools on the first line, the Falcons can kill you with secondary scoring should you give them the chance. Can anyone truly stop them..?

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

[Image: cltnMEc.png]

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

Beware of the Next Game
The Detroit Falcons are one of the most hated teams in the league right now because they just won't stop winning as they are now 12-2-1 to start the season. The Raiders definitely did not care about that this game as they went at them just as hard. However, they got increasingly frustrated as the Falcons simply outplayed them in the first period which set the tone for the rest of the game. After 3 penalties in the first period, it was apparent the Halifax players such as Adam Barron became overly frustrated and took reckless penalties which only made the situation worse for his team. While the Falcons did come out victorious, they should be wary of the next time they meet as the Raiders will be looking to avenge this loss.

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

A Poor showing for Halifax
It doesn't take a genius to recognize a blowout when you see one. 4 goals to nothing is a tough loss, but at least it wasn't worse. Still, Halifax looked dead in the water, registering only 15 shots the entire game, with 5 in the first 2 periods. It's a miracle the score wasn't worse for the Raiders. The first period was intensely dominant for the Falcons with 19 shots to 2, but only 1 goal. Goaltender Biz Nasty deserves some credit here for keeping Halifax in the game. This trend continued into the second with another 3 shots from halifax and only 1 goal from the Falcons.

108 words

A Strong game For Biz Nasty
Despite seeing no support, Biz Nasty did his very best to keep Halifax in the game. It can be disheartening to face 19 shots in one period and only see 2 shots on the other end. Still, Biz Nasty held out hope that his team could rally and let in only 1 goal in the first and another goal in the second. Going 2-0 in the third isn't a huge deficit but by this time the goaltender had seen 28 shots already. This is the type of goaltending that can win games, staying strong even when all seems lost. Biz seemingly believed a comeback was possible, but his team apparently did not.

112 Words

7 Shots for Zizagoony
Detroit Falcons Zizagoony, one of the leagues top defensemen, had a good night despite only 1 goal and no assists this game. With 7 shots overall, Zizagoony would lead both teams in shots this night. This can be attributed to seeing plenty of power play time, with 5 attempts for the Detroit Falcons overall. Despite the attempts, Biz Nasty (see above) stopped all but 1 of Zizagoonys shots. The Falcons would've liked to have seen more from Zizagoony with all the chances he saw, but this is also not a game that merited a strong response from the Falcons, as they took the lead early and held on.

108 words

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

When the Game Got Away

It got away in the warmups for Halifax, really. The Raiders only gave up 1 goal in the 1st period, but they took 3 penalties, and were outshot 19-2. It's hard to say that the game got away from them at any point in the game, because it was such a drastic difference from the start. Halifax woke up a bit in the 3rd, but another penalty in the 2nd period and a 2nd goal for Detroit made it 2-0, and the shots were a combined 28-5 after 2. Halifax was asleep at the start of the game and it pretty much immediately got away from them.

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2019, 10:31 AM by Samsung virtual assistant.)

Swegs MVP

My MVP for tonights game might be a controversial pick, i mean how could you pick a player from the team that lost 0-4? Well, i can and i will. Oliver Klozoff is the MVP of the game, this because the winning team didnt have any standout performance, while Klozoff is the only reason the game didn't end up a lot worse than 0-4. Klozoff was tied for most icetime with 22:41. He played a big amount of PK and PP, was only a -1, while shooting, having 4 hits and 4 shots blocked. He is my MVP and he should definitely get some recognition for his hard work, keeping it a fairly low scoring game.

Swegs post game Interview

Sweggy is back with another hot interview, this time with Detroit goaltender Emiko Spector who just earned a shutout.

Hello Emiko, Congratulations on the shutout! How are you feeling?

Hello and thanks Sweg! It feels great, though i have to admit that i didn't have too much coming my way so 15 saves might not be THAT impressive.

15 saves on 15 shots sure are, the game wasn't close in the score but that performance can be the difference between getting a W and a L. With Detroit being one of the favourites for the cup this season i'm guessing the Detroit fans are expecting more of this?

Haha yes i'd imagine they do. Don't get me wrong i'm happy about the performance, it's easy to lose focus when there aren't a lot of shots against you but we got it done.

Thank you Emiko.

Swegs sweggy Trivia

This is the second game between the two teams this season, with Detroit taking it come both games, continuing the trend from last season where Detroit took home 4 of the 6 games. Halifax has only managed to score 2 goals in 120 minutes of playtime. Detroit is a very experienced team though. They didn't draft any players before the 7(!) round this recent draft, using their picks to trade for established players, effectively telling everyone that they are going for cups rather than development. They (Detroit) are clearly the favourites to win it all this season and it's showing in the standings.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]