Create Account

Winnipeg Jets New GM Ross Irons Media Presser
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2019, 11:48 PM by StadiumGambler.)

(Presser word count is 935.)

After taking the helm a few days ago, new Winnipeg GM Ross Irons gets his first opportunity to speak to the press at a big press conference in the bowels of the Winnipeg Arena.

Born in Alberta, Ross Irons was a young, grinding forward in the province's various youth leagues, before moving to Europe with his parents work to pursue a career there. Ross went undrafted by the SMJHL and SHL, but carved out a niche for himself as a respectable journeyman defensive forward across the continent and beyond, playing for pro and semi-pro teams in the United Kingdom, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, France, and Japan. Ross was then hired at the start of Season 49 as an advisor to the General Manager Gary Grease, and took over after Grease stepped down from the spot after the conclusion of Season 49 following a tough 5 game loss to the New Orleans Specters.

Ross has already made a number of trades upon taking the Jets job, and is addressing the media in this, his first press conference, to discuss the trades, the Jets future, and anything else the press vultures who kept harassing poor Gary Grease over drafting Nick Brain want to talk about.

---

Presser to make money here fellas, I'm sure a lot of you have questions about this team given our recent activities and I'll do my best to get to each and every one of them. I'll be answering as StadiumGambler instead of the character Ross Irons unless its requested otherwise. Fire away!

------------------------------------------------------------

Wie Mann, Beijing Banger Press: "How soon until you bring a cup home?"

Hopefully within the next two seasons. We have high hopes this roster we assembled can get the job done and add further to the Jets sterling legacy.

-

F. Eon Balls, Cherrygrove City Times: "Do you plan on making any trades?"

People joke, but a lot of these deals were so hard to make. I've always had good things to say about Stammer, Trautner, and Fever, but they wanted changes of scenery for differing reasons and that was the bulk of the trade activity. In a perfect world I'd keep everyone, add the 6th defenseman and 9th forward we had IFAs filling last year, draft a few rookies, and call it a night. But I couldn't do that, so I decided to make these trades, and push to give Winnipeg the Cup we should've had in Season 48 except for the post-hitting.

There might be one more trade coming down the pipeline, but this would be an acquisiton, not an exportation.

-

T. Ware, New York Times: "When are you relocating to South Carolina?"

There are potential plans for a rebrand, but the team is staying in Winnipeg for the forseeable future. We have no intention of moving the team physically out of the city at this moment.

-

Toko-chan, Anime News Network: "Of your 15 trades so far, which one stands out as the hardest to pull the trigger on?"

Without question the ones where the players left. It was a harrowing experience and one I do not intend to repeat ever again if I can help it. The reality however is circumstances within our game make these moves happen, even if we don't like it.

-

"How important is it to you to rebuild the Colorado -> Winnipeg pipeline?"

We couldn't make it happen in this draft but we consider Colorado to be an excellent development spot for promising talents in the SHL. I'm confident Colorado's rookie class will go on to great things, and I will definitely consider a prospect from Colorado with the right pedigree, always.

-

"What are some perks of the job the Ross has enjoyed around Winnipeg? Company car? Free cover at the jiggle joints? Bottomless breadsticks?"

Ross has a perk called "the right to be savaged by the Winnipeg press for existing". At least they can't complain about a win now strategy, except they will complain because its not a win-forever strategy, as Gary Grease would be quick to tell you Tongue. In addition to a used Ford F-minus 50 and a slumlord apartment, Irons probably also has first dibs on the cheese sauce from the Winnipeg Arena nacho machine courtesy of the team, among other quality of life benefits.

-

"What are some characteristics/traits that you are looking for in members as you retool the locker room? Build? Activity? Timezone?"

Timezone I can work around, but its mostly a combination of building and personality. I want good-hearted individuals who progress their players well, and thats the aim of all my drafts.

-

"Despite the Winnipeg Jet's longer tenure than their NHL sister program, the Winnipeg Jets, there seems to be a steady pressure to move the team or rename the branding. Do you or Ross have opinions on the matter? Follow up: where is a location that would tempt you the most/where is somewhere you would never move the team. what about names that tempt you / you despise? "

We aren't moving the team out of Winnipeg, but are considering changing the nickname. We might also be the Manitoba (insert name) instead of the Winnipeg (insert name) I will want to talk to artistically inclined people about that, see if I can set up a site job of some sort maybe?

-

Troy M. Lure, The Brandon Post: Who is going to be your next co- gm?

I intend to retain Troy as co-GM as cover until a new co-GM can be obtained later.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2019, 06:28 AM by The__Y-man__100.)

How soon until you bring a cup home?

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

Do you plan on making any trades?

[Image: owenm43.gif]
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]

When are you relocating to South Carolina?

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

Of your 15 trades so far, which one stands out as the hardest to pull the trigger on?

How important is it to you to rebuild the Colorado -> Winnipeg pipeline?

What are some perks of the job the Ross has enjoyed around Winnipeg? Company car? Free cover at the jiggle joints? Bottomless breadsticks?

What are some characteristics/traits that you are looking for in members as you retool the locker room? Build? Activity? Timezone?

Despite the Winnipeg Jet's longer tenure than their NHL sister program, the Winnipeg Jets, there seems to be a steady pressure to move the team or rename the branding. Do you or Ross have opinions on the matter? Follow up: where is a location that would tempt you the most/where is somewhere you would never move the team. what about names that tempt you / you despise?

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

Questions answered to this point!

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

Who is going to be your next co- gm?

[Image: TROYMCCLURE.gif]
Colorado Raptors Capitan S42-Until Forever!
Czechia Wants you! Ask about a transfer!!