Simulation Hockey League
S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice (/showthread.php?tid=133352)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Dextaria - 10-08-2023

Option 2:

As a defenseman, I always appreciate when the forwards backcheck and not float in the neutral zone looking for a breakout pass. The forwards, especially the center in my opinion, should be busting their asses back to the defensive zone and applying pressure to the offense. They should be covering the area in front of the goalie when us defensemen go into the corners, and also drop down to block shots, but please actually block the shot properly and make sure it does not just take some weird deflection off your block into the direction of our goal. Honestly, this is quite a bit to ask for from a player, but an amazing player should be able to handle both ends of the ice and contribute to the team overall. Now I am not talking about any of our forwards in particular, but just in general defensive help is always appreciated! Signed, an old defenseman trying his best.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Raven - 10-08-2023

Code:
Written Task: With some time to go still before your season starts, your player is contacted by an international organziation dedicated to growing the game. They're offering you a handsome check if you'll run a one-week hockey camp for them in any country that does NOT currently have an IIHF team. Which country would your player request? Why? How will your camp run?

Ryuuji Kawashima got an amazing offer by the league. Lead a one-week hockey camp, providing training and inspiration for a new generation in a country not featured in the IIHF. Kawashima's home country of Japan is already a in the IIHF, so Kawashima had a bit of a think of where in the world he would want to hold this camp.

There is one country, or rather, one group of countries that Kawashima has great feelings towards, who are surrounded by IIHF teams. Those countries are the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. A set of countries which are located between IIHF teams like the UK, France, Germany and even Norway and Sweden if you go way further north and ignore Denmark.

Now why did Kawashima choose these countries? Ryuuji has been on vacation to this region many times now and has even done some informal hockey related activies. Why these three countries grouped together? Nowadays the IIHF is made up of sole country repesentatives, but back in the day we have combined teams like Czechoslovakia. The countries of The Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg make up a politico-economic union called the Benelux. Due to the size of the countries, this might be a smart way to go about IIHF representation while these countries grow their numbers.

Kawashima's one-week hockey camp was held in Brussels, the capital of Brussels. A central meetup for these countries, geographically, but also politically with the European Union also located in the city. The week was filled to the brim with general hockey drills, practise matches, meet & greet with various current and former SHL players and besides the hockey filled with a ton of fun activies, like party games and tours of the city.

The week was an absolute success and everyone involved had a blast hosting and participating in the event. A ton of talent was shown at this event by the players who joined and the future might look bright for these countries in the hockey world.

[332 words]

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Evil_AllBran - 10-08-2023

Option 1

[Image: i9pYD87.png]

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Whikadoodle - 10-08-2023

As a forward on this great team, how can I help our defensemen succeed? Well, the first thing I can do is score a lot of goals! Putting points on the board will definitely reduce the pressure my defensemen are feeling. I can also be sure to back check and ensure that they aren't left on an island when opposing forwards enter our zone. Defense is a shared responsibility after all! When our defensemen do get a stop, as a winger, I can help by making sure I'm up on the boards waiting for that outlet pass. Being on the boards just outside the zone is the best place I can be for an outlet pass. I can also offer words of encouragement and ensure that they feel supported. Finally, I can make sure I don't take any dumb penalties. Keeping our team off the penalty kill keeps everyone fresh and at our defensive best. These are the things I can do as a forward to help our defensemen be successful.

(174)

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - jj2416 - 10-08-2023

ISFL Affilate-https://forums.sim-football.com/showthread.php?tid=47886&pid=740573#pid740573

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Thelastheraclid - 10-08-2023

Option 1

San-sam Emerson does not need a check to get him to help spread the game of hockey in his home country of South Korea. He already does that every single off season as is. It has been a longstanding passion of his to grow the game that he loves in Korea. Camps generally work in the same way every year. Emerson sets up 3 or 4 day camps at various cities around South Korea, so that the next generation of Korean skaters from all over have the opportunity to learn the game. The camps themselves are more on the fun side with a focus on basics to get young players heading down the right path. From there, Emerson hands young players to his permanent development camps that are run by his former teammates from his time in the Korean Hockey League. Hopefully, this effort to grow the game in South Korea will lead to an IIHF team down the road or an official co-team with another nation. Regardless, just spreading the love of hockey makes it worth it for Emerson.
(180)

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - JT3 - 10-08-2023

Quote:Tell me what your player wants the forwards on their team to do to help them out. If your player is a forward, tell me what you do to help your defensemen succeed.

Noel played center for the vast majority of his career before being transitioned into a winger in the last few seasons with the Winnipeg Aurora. So for that reason he has always had to shoulder a decent bit of defensive responsibility for his lines. As the center you often need to be the first forward back on the backcheck and come down low to the net to support the d-men. Even now as a winger Noel plays that role for his line as he is a strong defensive player, and it allows his more offensive minded linemates to play a little more aggressively. Another thing Noel does to help his defensemen is to try to offer up smart outlets to get the transition moving up ice. Rather than shooting up ice looking for a hail mary he circles back or parks himself on the boards around the blueline as an option for a pass. He can then make a quick pass to another forward streaking up ice, and it helps stop us from getting hemmed into our zone so often.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - tomtommen - 10-08-2023

OPTION 1 - Here We Go Again

Written Task: With some time to go still before your season starts, your player is contacted by an international organziation dedicated to growing the game. They're offering you a handsome check if you'll run a one-week hockey camp for them in any country that does NOT currently have an IIHF team. Which country would your player request? Why? How will your camp run?

Tom Pedersen, the dedicated forward for the Calgary Dragons, received a unique opportunity to grow the game of hockey in an untapped territory. With a heart full of enthusiasm, he chose Bhutan as the destination for his one-week hockey camp. Bhutan, nestled in the Himalayas, was a country known for its breathtaking landscapes and rich culture, but not for ice hockey. Tom saw this as a chance to introduce the sport to a new audience and inspire young Bhutanese athletes. His choice was based on a desire to expand the global hockey community and bring the joy of the game to a place where it was virtually unknown. The camp would be a week-long extravaganza of ice hockey fundamentals, sportsmanship, and fun. Tom would enlist the help of fellow players and coaches to ensure a holistic experience. The camp would include basic skills training, friendly scrimmages, and cultural exchanges to foster camaraderie. Beyond hockey, Tom would incorporate life lessons about teamwork, discipline, and perseverance, aiming to leave a lasting impact on the participants. He envisioned this camp as a stepping stone to potentially establish Bhutan's first junior ice hockey program and create a bridge for Bhutanese players to participate in international competitions. Tom Pedersen's vision was not just about teaching a sport. It was about building bridges between cultures, fostering a love for the game, and leaving a legacy that would endure far beyond the one-week camp in the heart of the Himalayas.

Words: 243

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Whitecap - 10-08-2023

Option 1:

Svoboda has been given the opportunity to spread the game of hockey to any country he wants. There are surely many deserving countries that have a budding hockey scene that simply need that extra push to get them over the top. But he figured those countries may be too boring of a choice, and not ambitious enough.

With this in mind, Svoboda chose the country of Nepal. First, he hopes to create a foothold for hockey in Asia, a continent that historically has not paid much attention to the sport. Secondly, he though about how cool it would be to play a hockey game outside with Mount Everest as the backdrop. This type of game may be enough to put more attention on the sport on a global scale, meaning it may spread to countries outside Nepal too. His first goal, of course, would be to have a rink built in the country so he can run a camp in the first place.

163 words

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Takk806 - 10-08-2023

Xavier Beausoleil, the big tree number three winger from Colorado, is all set to do something special. He's heading back to his home province of Quebec, Canada, to run a one-week hockey camp. But this isn't your typical camp—it's a mission to introduce the joys of hockey to some less fortunate kids.

Why Quebec, you ask? Well, it's Xavier's stomping ground, and he wants to give back. Plus, he knows that hockey can be a game-changer for the local teens who might otherwise get into trouble. So, his camp won't just be about slapshots and breakaways; it's going to be packed with team activities, friendly scrimmages, and Xavier's own nuggets of wisdom from his still-growing career.

Xavier soon realized that one week isn't enough for everything he had planned for these kids. That’s why he decided to stick around for a few extra weeks, making sure these kids don't just learn hockey but also life skills that'll serve them well beyond the rink.

So, kids of Quebec, get ready for Xavier Beausoleil's hockey extravaganza, where the goal is not just to win on the ice but to win in every aspect.

191 words

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Crunk - 10-08-2023

Option 1

Viktor Krunk would run a hockey camp in Dubai. He doesn't think hockey will ever take off there, and the camp would probably only be attended by a few rich Emirati children, but he has his eye on business opportunities.  "A few skating drills leading to some work with the puck and finally an exhibition game over the course of a few days" is the entirely of his planning and he knows that it doesn't matter.

Viktor Krunk just want to go there so that when he isn't  coaching hockey, he can do all of the influencer classics. Rent a ferrari, go on a beach, sail in a yacht, and take appropriate pictures. Krunk isn't getting any younger, he knows his hockey career may not last too much longer, and he figures that being a lifestyle influencer is a decent option that will involve him doing very little work. It's the perfect gig for a lazy manipulative man like him.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Grum - 10-08-2023

OPTION 2 - Being Forward with the Forwards

Written Task: Tell me what your player wants the forwards on their team to do to help them out. If your player is a forward, tell me what you do to help your defensemen succeed.

As a rookie forward that just got called up by my major league team, the Buffalo Stampede, I like to think I do a good job on the defensive end since I feel like I need to be at least decent on both sides of the ice in order to be of use to my team. A lot of this is just hitting so that we can keep hold of the puck as much as possible but I also just try to generally position myself if I am not actively involved in the play to be able to get loose pucks or to be able to quickly slide on over to defense as much as possible. I was pretty bad at defense at first, kind of getting in the way of our defenseman, but I've tried to work with them to see how to correctly work the defensive end and to better communicate with them,

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - mer - 10-08-2023

Prompt #1:

Aksel has some contacts in Iceland, and asks if he can lead a youth hockey camp there. It's slightly selfish as he's never been before, and would love to see the sights, but mostly he'd like to grow the sport of hockey in areas where it's harder to have big leagues like elsewhere in Europe. The camp is very fun, and ice hockey is popular enough to draw a crowd. A couple of the kids were very talented, and Aksel stayed late passing pucks and signing sticks. He managed to fit in some hikes and tours, and has made promises to come back. The kids were a blast to be with, and only a little weirdly into true crime. One of the parents stopped him to say she was working on a crime novel with hockey players, and could he please give her his email so she could reach out with questions? He gladly handed it over, he's really excited to see what she asks.

Code:
165 words

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Mayuu - 10-08-2023

Option 2

[Image: 7gLEZ9C.png]

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - charlieconway - 10-08-2023

Quote:OPTION 1 - Here We Go Again

Written Task: With some time to go still before your season starts, your player is contacted by an international organziation dedicated to growing the game. They're offering you a handsome check if you'll run a one-week hockey camp for them in any country that does NOT currently have an IIHF team. Which country would your player request? Why? How will your camp run?

My player, Jae-ik Barron, was born in South Korea. So that would be an easy choice for him to try and help the IIHF expand to, since that country does not yet have an IIHF team.
I think the first thing he’d do is start with skating. If you want to play ice hockey and you can’t skate, then there’s no real path forward. IT’s simply too integral to the sport to not know. So that would be where he’d start.
After skating practices and drills, preferably on younger players so that they have a good base to learn from, he’d try and teach the new recruits how to handle the puck. Simple drills at first, then eventually stickhandling with obstacles. Once that is down pat, Jae-ik would start instructing his students on how to shoot.
Skating, Puck handling, and Shooting are three key tools in any hockey player’s arsenal, and those are the facets of the game that my player would start instructing. From there he can teach his South Korean students things like checking and defensive structure, but I’d imagine that would take him far longer than the week would allow.