Simulation Hockey League
S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub (/showthread.php?tid=111048)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Trautner - 10-24-2020

I don't think that Viktor Marius is eligible for the Hall of Fame yet in the SHL, having only retired last season, but he certainly deserves to have a spot reserved for him in the hall. Marius is a longtime member of the Buffalo Stampede, and was a dynamic scorer leading the team in scoring many times throughout the Stampede's history. While the Stampede endured some tough seasons, Marius became the shining light for the franchise and his veteran presence and emotional leadership helped the Stampede as they drove into the new era with leading players like Monkey D. Luffy playing a supporting cast at first to Marius' superstardom. Later on, Marius happily took a more reserved role as his teammates' abilities surpassed his own, happily playing on the 3rd line to allow the Stampede to create mismatches against their opponents and dominate puck possession throughout the game. Marius was a great teammate and deserves to be honored for his extensive, accolade laden career.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Buster - 10-24-2020

I'm going to go back to the earlier seasons of the SHL and maybe make a little bit of a biased pick but I truly believe that Teemu Nurmi should be in the Hall of Fame. Nurmi is a bit of an interesting case because in S27, he was prematurely removed from the voting list after garnering votes every previous season. S27 turned out to be a weak year with Phil Schenn and Dave Smith getting in, both guys who did not receive as many votes as Nurmi previously. Nurmi's resume speaks for itself. Nurmi won 2 cups with the Edmonton Blizzard dynasty, being the defensive stabilizer beside Hall of Famer Willie Weber. He was no slouch on the offensive side of the puck either. He broke 35 points 5 times in his career with a career high of 42 points in S18. He also scored 21 goals from the backend in S11, so he has the offensive side of the game down pat. Interesting enough, Hall of Famer Jakub Aittokallio once said his stats were at their best when Nurmi was patrolling the blueline. In a stacked year, he won't make it. But Nurmi should have absolutely got in to the Hall of Famer in a more average year.

Code:
210 words

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - krazko - 10-24-2020

I think a retired player that currently is not a member of the Hall of Fame that should be in there would be Trevor Wilson I only joined the SHL in S55 so I'm still not too familiar with the history of the SHL, but after taking a look at the HOF candidates Trevor Wilsons stood out to me. He played a 1000 games, scored 341 goals, 412 assists totaling 641 points. He also had a career +/- of 151 which is very impressive. Trevor had a very impressive SHL career spanning over 20 seasons, so it is surprising he is not already in the Hall of fame, especially while looking at some of the other candidates already in the HOF. There are players in the HOF with less point, goals and assist totals than Wilson, so that was surprising for me. This is my case for Trevor Wilson to be inducted into the SHL hall of fame.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - charlieconway - 10-24-2020

Quote:Written task: What retired player not in the Hall of Fame deserves to be in the Hall of Fame? Make the case for one of these players: who do you think should be elected in and why? If you'd like to be more confrontational, you can pick a player who is in the HOF and make the case for why they shouldn't be. (150+ words)

He didn't have the longevity of some of these other names, but I truly think Flacko Lagerfield deserves to be in the SHL HOF.

There's something to be said about peak performance. The reason why many elevate Dominik Hasek over much more winning goalies like Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy. Flacko was active for just 13 seasons but still ranks at 63rd overall with 619 points in 650 games.
More importantly to my overall argument, he was voted MVP by the awards committee twice (S48, S54, nominated in S53), chosen MVP by the players three times (S48, 53, 54), scored most points in three seasons (S48, 53, 54), scored the most goals in S54, and even won the Most Improved award in S45.
That’s a lot of hardware. None of those awards are easy to win, especially either MVP award. Lagerfield also won the Challenge Cup with Hamilton in S53, after previously making it to the finals with the Barracuda in S50.

I can’t imagine he’ll be passed over for the Hall of Fame, and when I review those accolades above, I only begin to appreciate the kind of player Flacko Lagerfield was.

[193]

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - JayWhy - 10-24-2020

Daniel Malenfant is the most obvious snub in SHL history. While scoring 438 points in 594 games doesn't seem to be a huge accomplishment, he also had over 1000 hits and over 200 shot blocks while playing forward in the early years of the SHL. He is the only player to win more than one Jeff Dar Trophy and not be inducted to the Hall of Fame, and had one of the best seasons of a two-way forward ever in S9 winning the Dar and being nominated for the Ron Mexico Trophy.

While I could have gone to my own players, I think this one is obvious. Daniel Malenfant should be in the Hall of Fame.

I'll hit you with another one also, Danny Foster should on the basis that Turd Ferguson is in and Foster by far dominated the penalty award with an astonishing number of hits that deserve a look at for Hall of Fame and should be inducted as well. We are a league built on the basis of fun, and this kind of player is fun for the league and should be rewarded for that kind of commitment and that kind of play.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Rich - 10-24-2020

Fileworker PT pass.

I did want to do this one, but this week got away from me. Probably would have written about Laukkanen.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - XLeafer - 10-24-2020

http://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=15256&st=120&#entry232910

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Gooney - 10-24-2020

Gabriel Johnson. why is this man not in the hall of fame yet? I just not can not believe this. What does this guy have to do to make it into the Simulation hockey league hockey hall of fame? This guy has done it all. he has won everything that you can possibly win in this hockey league. How many shl challenge cups does this guy have to lead the hamilton steelhawks too, to make it into the hall of fame? three, four? like what the heck man. enough is enough. let us vote this fine hockey shl defensman into the hockey hall of fame. his point totals are so large and he also plays good strong defense. pretty incredible career for the man drafted way back in the day, top 5 pick, rookie of the year, bunch of cups. I can go on and on and on. but i wont. Get gabriel johnson in the hall of fame.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - KlusteR - 10-24-2020

For me, one of the most interesting upcoming "debates" is if there will be a cleavage between the STHS and the FHM eras of the SHL, especially on the goalies' side. Prior to FHM, a .905 in a season was considered decent - now, it would slot you at 17th for starters in the FHM era. Will that mean that the next few years, as we see some very good goalies start to retire, they will get more consideration than they would have had previously, even should they not have as many McBrides/Challenge Cups as other Hall of Famers, due to steeper competition? Same thing with the young offensive dynamos finally hitting their peak and getting an obscene amount of offense - how will some of the better names in the Hall of Fame stand up to those monster 1.5 PPG seasons, especially considering there's quite a few of them happening at once, and only so many trophies that can be obtained in a single season? Add to that the expansion, which muddles things for criteria of contention even further, and I can only hope our committee already has their eyes on what may need to be done in the future.

(202 words)

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - SFresh3 - 10-24-2020

Looking at the Goalie list for who all made it into the Hall of Fame, and as a huge outlier I see a player named Jonathan Kane listed as a Hall of Famer.  How is a player who only has 3 seasons played with a total of 90 games, a record of 41-36-10, only a 52.87% winning percentage.  His save percentage is at 91.2708% with 226 Goals Against on 2589 Shots Against, and he had a 2.5111 Goals Against on Average stat over this minimal time.  All of these stats don’t really scream Hall of Famer numbers to me.  I see that he was one of the original players that started in Season 1, and he has a couple of Challenger Cups to his name, but that shouldn’t give you this nice pass into the Hall of Fame. 

There are plenty of other Goalies that aren’t in the Hall of Fame but have similar or better stats than this.  Richard C. Hocolate for example, has a 224-144-32 record after 20 seasons, what an iron man, which is a 64.86% winning percentage.  He had a 90.6448% save percentage with 1123 Goals Against on 12004 Shots Against.

Quote:195 Words

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - MrStennett - 10-24-2020

PBE PT Affiliation

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - overdoo - 10-24-2020

First name that stuck out to me was Trevor Wilson, he is first for points all-time for those who have yet to be in the Hall of Fame, tied for 30th all time, and one of the players that were able to reach the 1000 games played mark, which is a huge milestone. While in the juniors, Wilson was able to grab a Four Star Cup, and once he moved into the SHL he was able to win three Challenge Cups, along with a gold medal. He managed six straight 50+ point seasons, with another totaling seven. Impressive, and those three Challenge Cups make sense when you take into consideration his playoff performances. He managed 142 points in 186 playoff games, which is just crazy, 59 of those points being goals. So why is he not in? In comparison to some other playoffs of similar seasons, he didn't fight everyone in sight it seemed. While more skilled, Wilson has somewhat been shunned. An example of that; Shawn Velevra.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - goldenglutes - 10-25-2020

this one's easy i gotta root for my boy zoone here, Alex Light. my man had the most consistently good career i've ever seen i mean it was insane by the time i came around to the league he was already knee deep in regression and at around 1k TPE, but my man was still out there scoring goals top cheddar and cellying hard with the best of them it was absolutely insane. i picked him in fantasy, not knowing that he was absolutely getting destroyed by regression because i was a rookie who didn't really know any of the players and there wasn't really an easy way to see how well players did last season combined with whether they were regressing or if they were changing teams this season, so i picked my SMJHL kelowna knights general manager zoone who surprisingly killed it. that fantasy performance alone deserves to get him into the hall of fame, but when i actually looked into his numbers, i realized that the man was absolutely insane. even though he never really had the highest peak compared to most hall of famers, he was one of the most consistent players i've ever seen. his point totals are insane and land him squarely in the middle of a large group of hall of famers, so the numbers don't lie. i couldn't figure out a good way to tag gabe in this rant so i guess i'll just tag him at the end @Gwdjohnson

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - funk - 10-25-2020

I gotta say Trevor Wilson. He was before my time, for sure, but just looking at that outstanding resume gives me pause as to why he's not a hall of famer.
My mans was out here tearing up shop for two whole decades. That kind of longevity, consistency, and heart deserves to be acknowledged.

Dude is a member of the 1000 games played club with the most goals AND assists of anyone not in the hall right now, with very compelling per-game averages
to back up his productive resume. There are oodles of dudes who have been inducted for less, and as someone who joined the SHL for the S55 season, it's a
head-scratcher as to why he's not already in there.

Season 20 veteran who played 20 full seasons in the SHL, hit some pretty significant points milestones, and was a consistent producer for the entirety of
his illustrious career.

If I can put up numbers half as good as that, I'd call it a resounding success of a career.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Thelastheraclid - 10-25-2020

Get my man Alex Light into the hall of fame right now. Let's break down this absolute legend of player. Starting from just a pure longevity stand point he gets mad props. 900 games in the SHL is an incredible milestone. Only nine other skaters have played longer than Light. Oh, games played ain't doing it for you? Light scored 331 goals in the SHL which is good enough for 22nd best of all time. What is that you say? Anyone can score? There are lots of funny bounces? Light put up almost 400 career assists. All in all Light has the 32nd most points in the SHL. He finished an astonishing +120 over his 900 game career. Looking at the list of those in the hall it is clear that Light belongs in there. He has more career points that at least 30 other members in the hall and with the longevity of his career should be honored in the hall post haste along with another Platoon legend Beaujeaux Biscuit who should be getting in immediately.