Simulation Hockey League
S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me (/showthread.php?tid=126934)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - caltroit_red_flames - 10-09-2022

PBE PT

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - Shmurph - 10-09-2022

[Image: xEoEfFy.png]

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - JKortesi81 - 10-09-2022

PBE PT

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - goilers - 10-09-2022

In todays day and age with all of the reviews it really ends up slowing down the game & taking the wind out of the players sails. I think there should still be some videos reviews for goals to cross the line but when it comes to these offsides that’s something else. Hockey is quicker than it ever has been & for a player to be offside by 2 inches 45 second before the goal was actually scored like give me a break there was plenty of time for the other team to get the puck & change the play. I think if it was automated where a camera blew the play down as soon as the offside happened I could live with that because it would be very accurate. But at the same time human error is also kind of fun to watch if they really blow a call & team comes back it makes for a good story.
157 words

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - Tomen - 10-09-2022

pt pass

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - notorioustig - 10-09-2022

Kermit Murphy would absolutely and in every way lose his complete and total shit at a call like this being made in a big game. Unlike his father, who was known for bringing a calm and reasonable demeanour to the rink night in and night out, Kermit has a bit of a hot-headed streak that can land him in trouble. And when a call is this bad? Sometimes the refs need to hear exactly what you think because investing in a misconduct or two now might cause this ref or others to think twice before getting themselves torn a new asshole for making a god awful call. Frankly, the audacity to rob Kermit of a breakaway after a strong defensive play is insulting to the core and it's hard to believe that anyone would be willing to let it slide. In this case, they'll be receiving a Muppet rant not seen since Jim Henson was still alive

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - Huck24 - 10-09-2022

Player prompt

Bavel Pure loves to score goals. What he loves the most are breakaway chances, him against the opposing goalie. He lives for these chances. So after he sacrifices him body to block a shot, a task he rarely does, he sees his opportunity appear. He is quicker than most and takes off like a rocket, only to hear the play called dead and the ref pointing at him. He wouldn’t take that lightly. He would make the officials know that he shouldn’t be here, challenges them the be better. That they aren’t doing a very good job at all. That they should probably start looking for another profession. He is saying all this while skating to the penalty box , but he is also saying this in his native language, so, the refs have no clue what he is actually saying. Bavel spends the next two minutes in the box, imagining all of the ways he could have scored on that breakaway that never was…

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - Gordon Bombay - 10-09-2022

I am in favor of video reviews and I want more of them. Hockey is played following rules and it makes no sense that some outcomes of the game are different because the referee had difficulty seeing a play. Even if can take some time, I am always in favor of more challenges and more video reviews. I would go even further. I think that the rule book should be rewritten to delete the notion of judgment. We should only have rules that are easy to follow and don't require judgment.  This way in the future we will be able to automate more and more things. The referee would have a less important place. He would interfere less with the games. The more automation there is, the better it is for the health of the game. Another argument against referee if the fact that they change the way they call games depending of the context of the game. Game management is a stupid context and machines would be better than that.

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - McAl95 - 10-09-2022

Hockey Prompt

I feel like there is a time and a place for reviews in hockey. I really feel like use of review and length of the review varies from situation to situation. If it's a goal review for highsticking or something that is difficult to tell in real time with your own eyes, sure that seems like a good time and a good place to check what happened. If it's one of those reviews where a coach challenges an offside on a goal and the offside was like 30-40 seconds ago, why? I get you don't want the goal to count but the fact that it happened 30-40 seconds ago is too long of a time and should not count. If it's within 10-15 seconds then sure, I'm okay with that but the cut off for those should be like 20 seconds, play has continued for too long.

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - CampinKiller - 10-09-2022

HOCKEY PROMPT

Video review definitely has a place in hockey, just like all sports, because big calls are something that should be correct at the highest level. As someone who officiates hockey myself, it is pretty easy to miss things that are obvious on replay, especially at the high speeds you have at the college and professional levels. However, that sort of thing is something that should be limited only to big calls. Offside, major penalties, goals, etc. are all big calls. However, I think that is where the line should be, for a couple of reasons. First of all, I don't think slowing the game down with a bunch of reviews is something anyone wants. Second of all, there has to be a line somewhere, and I think minor penalties and missed minor penalties should be over that line. At what point would you limit it from obvious errors, to ones that are very small or subtle, over a minor penalty?

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - NJBadApple - 10-09-2022

Overall, I think video reviews have been a great addition to the game. It allows for a smaller margin of error and catches infractions that the referees miss from time to time; it helps tighten the gap that's created by human error. It definitely drags out the game just a little bit, especially during critical times such as later in the game or overtime when momentum is huge part of the game, but overall I believe it's been a welcomed addition. Furthermore, it helps determine the severity of a penalty when things like boarding occurs. Offsides can absolutely be automated at some point in the future; I'm sure there's a way to sync the puck, skates, and blue lines all together to determine who actually crossed it first. Goals can be taken in the same direction as well, maybe even easier. All you would have to accomplish is to sync the goal line with the outline of the puck to determine if it completely crossed.

Code:
Words: 150+

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - Symmetrik - 10-09-2022

PBE PT

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - peskypenguin - 10-09-2022

I think reviews serve a certain purpose in the game. I do think they can take too long sometimes but with the two minute penalty if you challenge and are wrong, I think that is ok. I would like to see reviews on goals to make sure the puck crosses the goal line. Goals are very important and a VAR or American football goal line type camera could be very valuable. These are the types of calls I would like to see become automatic. I would also like to see any shot to the head to be reviewed. For all the other calls, I’m fine with them being reviewable as long as the coaches challenge it AND if they lose, they are penalized. I’m a bit in the middle about penalties being challengeable. I do think it could be valuable as it could be game deciding but also I don’t want to see coaches challenging every single game like you see in football. Hockey would be better off tightening up their rules and calling them as they are actually written first.

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - HabsFanFromOntario - 10-09-2022

Rand al'Thor simply put does not stand for non sense. He has had it with the lack of respect and calls going against him from many of the league's personalities. The refs, seemingly, are as corrupt as boxing judges, deeming him responsible for penalty after penalty. Did they not know who he was. A legend of the sport, he was the all time Simulation Major Junior Hockey League (Previously known as the North Western Junior Hockey League) all time scoring defenseman and assist leader. He came into the league with such hype but has been stuck in a quagmire in Edmonton as the team awaits it's reinforcements as they season in the juniors as he did before them. Rand will resort to using the one power, a magic of a kind, to change the ref's mind and realize he deserves the damn breakaway only to get stopped by the goalie begging the question of: was it worth it?

RE: S67 PT #3: It Wasn't Me - the5urreal - 10-09-2022

I think video review, as it stands right now, is mostly fair. Long reviews don’t really bother me as long as the refs get it right. What really frustrates me though is when there is a long review and everyone sees what the right call is, but the refs still manage to get it wrong. However, much of the same could be said about calls that are made in real time. Hockey is such a fast paced game with action all over the ice and things get missed all the time.

As far as automation goes, those offsides and goal calls are the ones I was referring to when I mentioned the refs getting it wrong when it appeared to be clear to everyone else. If those call were automated, that would make it even better as I think the calls should be as accurate as possible. I’m sure there would still need to be some oversight though. All automation has its flaws and this would be no exception.

[169 words]