Simulation Hockey League
S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S62 PT #3- Hold this L (/showthread.php?tid=120425)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - ACapitalChicago - 11-28-2021

If I had to answer the second prompt I think the one loss that would sting the most would be the Western Conference series loss against Chicago a couple seasons ago. It was an unreal season, everything seemed to go completely wild. We had our first Franchise Hockey Manager 6 series win that season, in a thrilling game 7 against the Seattle Argonauts. We then went on to completely sweep the Edmonton Blizzard in a completely unexpected turn of events. This was just a fantastic postseason for the Calgary Dragons but unfortunately we fell short before getting to the Challenge Cup Finals. It would have been the first time in Joseph Weston's career to play for that magnificent trophy but unfortunately it was not meant to be. This was truly incredibly disappointing and one of the most bittersweet ends to a season that probably shouldn't have even happened, but oh well sometimes things just turn out that way

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - monochroma - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2

Honestly? I've not really been around long enough for there to be any particularly hard Ls for me to have taken. One that did sting a little bit was the SMJHL draft, where I went 12th overall - not bad by any means, especially in a fairly stacked draft class, but I still felt like I should've been picked earlier - and in the SHL draft, that did come to fruition as I went 3OA. Another moment was a couple seasons ago in the WJC - my first season in the tournament, I didn't make the team UCORCAL roster so I ended up on team Finland instead. And team Finland was very good that season. We went 9-3 in the group stage, 2nd in the group (and in the overall standings too) and then we lost in the first round to UCORCAL, the very team that had passed over me... Also, I've found that I absolutely suck at fantasy - I am yet to earn a single point of TPE from it, and it seems like it'll stay that way this season as well, so that's quite an L as well.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - CanadianDuck - 11-28-2021

After a strong victory against the Young Guns team, the Grizzled Vets took a humbling defeat from the Retire Legends squad. The final score of 8 to 4 was soul crushing for the team, but lessons were learned and many of the players believe this will just be motivation to come back stronger than ever in the next game and through the rest of the tournament. Scoring for the Vets was Tony Pepperoni twice, Luke Thomason, and Steven Moyer. The star of the game was definitely Aleister Cain who made an astonishing 56 saves including 2 penalty shots and 3 breakaway chances. There were some rumblings by fans in attendance who believed the game was rigged in some way. (As if the person in charged had control over the outcome of this game.) When asked about this Steven Moyer had this to say. "I understand how this could be believed, but I can assure you that this was just a bad loss and nothing more."

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Ronniewalker - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2

I had a hard time actually, figuring out what felt like the biggest loss I’ve taken in the SHL. I have had the luck of ending up on teams that have done well for the most part of my time with them and even won the Challenge Cup in my first season on the Renegades pro team, so while we have had less luck in the playoffs since, we have still done pretty well by most standards and the decisive losses we have taken, though dramatic at times, haven’t been quite that unexpected and have come at the hands of  worthy opponents. But then I remembered…

It was season 55 and I was in my first season on the site and on an Anchorage Armada team that was dead set on making big noise in the playoffs that year. We had a deep forward lineup, a mean defense corps headed up by Pojo Biscuit and Bork Lazer and our goalie Scoochie Stratton had just put up record goalie numbers for the J regular season. Although my own performance in my rookie season was certainly nothing to shout about, the team as a whole were riding high into the playoffs and expecting to make the finals as a minimum. As division winners we had a bye through the first round and after that we were to face the Maine Timber in the second round. Now whether it was the effect of the bye week, our overconfidence or just dumb luck, the Timber won the first game of the series! But no matter, the Armada rolled up their sleeves and took the next three games in return. But a fourth victory was then denied us in three successive games, in very large part by Maine goalie Leo Bloomfield, who kept the Timber afloat until the Armada was finally sunk. 

That series loss was a sobering lesson to all involved not to take regular season success as any kind of promise of playoff success. It also became something of a rallying point in future seasons, both as a reminder not to take any opponent lightly and also how sometimes the underdog can still rise even from far behind and pull off the upset, as was the case two seasons later when the Armada battled the cup favorite Quebec City Citadelles in the semis and staged a similar comeback of their own to claim not only a spot in the finals but also the Four Star Cup in the end.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - awils13 - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2

It was a long time ago but in my second season in juniors we had a stacked roster in vancouver and everyone felt like that was our best chance to win the 4 star cup, and you know how you only get 3 or 4 chances at that, so it was disappointing to lose to a team that had a weaker roster on paper, we almost got swept but managed to win 2 games before getting eliminated and not even reaching the finals. It was disappointing because we were going to lose a couple of players in the offseason and I didn't think that we would be cup contenders the following season, but this was the 3rd season after the s46 reddit draft, so a lot of people got called up, and other teams lost more capped players than we did because our roster was built around the s47 draft class. So it turned out that we had a better chance to win than last season, and eventually we did win the cup in a 7 game series.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - PremierBromanov - 11-28-2021

The greatest L in the history of the SHL was taken by the Tampa Bay Barracuda in Season 54. It was one of the first seasons with FHM and parity was very low at that time, especially as many teams had not figured it out completely. Tampa Bay had, in the previous season, such great players as Matt Kholin, Oliver Cloutier, and Gunnar Soderberg. However, those players were dealt shortly after for a glut of picks, and thus began one of the most notorious and hereafter un-contestedly worst seasons in SHL history. Tampa Bay finished the 50 game season with exactly 0 points. 0 wins, 0 OT losses, 50 losses. It is possible to do worse in some ways, but thus far no team has finished with 0 points. Some have had more losses, but have managed to win games, which makes their teams better. That season, I had 11 points in 45 games and one of the worst +/- in the history of the SHL with -80 (Liam O'Callaghan had -87 to "lead" the team). I dont think it will ever be beaten.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Wongy - 11-28-2021

Honestly, I’ve been around for so long that there isn’t one particular loss that stings the most. However, I can talk about the first ever player I had on here, which was Ben Wong. A hall of famer, multiple individual awards, a Canadian gold medal, but no Challenge Cup. That one stung, but I don’t think I would’ve been as hungry with my next 2 players to win a Challenge Cup. Ben Wong, was a long time Toronto North Star, spending majority of his career there. This was in an era most draft picks started playing right away, so while Ben’s career was short, all of it was spent in the SHL. In my rookie season with WKP before being traded to Toronto, we lost in the finals to the Calgary Dragons (who by coincidence is the team I finally won my first Cup with, but with a future player), then Ben Wong wasn’t able to make it past the first round in Toronto (I’m not even kidding) and after trying to stack 3 teams, 2 on Manhattan with the Scherbluks and JNH, while the other on the Wolfpack with Ace’s crew at the time, but all were unfortunate failures. Never winning a cup with Ben sucked and honestly still sucks.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Raven - 11-28-2021

Code:
Written Task: We've all taken Ls on this site (L<----- this one's mine), feel free to reminisce about any particularly bad ones. Playoff and medal round losses always sting, but talk about some bad losses that really molded your player or you as a user. Have you recovered?

Ryuuji Kawashima lost something dear to him halfway through his second season in the SHL. His dog, Lightning, sadly passed away at only the age of 4. Ryuuji had bought the dog with hia first pay check as a professional hockey player, to help his transition to life in America. He figured a dog companion would help him integrate and keep him company. Ryuuji loved the dog and was also making sure he had the best in life. The dog helped him get used to his life in America. In a time he did not really know many people. However at the start of this shl season, his dog seemed off. He stopped eating and lost a lot of energy. He brought the dog to the doctors, but it was too late. Within a flash he had lost his dog. He turned the sadness into determination to do his best in memory of his dog. Ryuuji always wears his dogs tag as a necklace to give him the strength to play to his full potential.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Mr. Finland - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2

My short career hardest moment was WJC losses with DACH. We tried few seasons to get next stage, but got eliminated at quarter final, until my second last season we go to Final and faced there my IRL nation, Finland. DACH dominates that game, if I remember correctly, we had over 40 shots and Finland have like 12. Still we lost. I still pretty sure that there was some kind of conspiracy with Finland and WJC Simmer SparkyDee. Not really, but it took a lot to get over it, also that was the moment when I was close to retire my player. Luckily I didn't do it, because at next WJC, which was my last one, we won the gold medal at overpowered run and we beat Finland. We got our revenge back to back Finals and when they rob first gold, we took the last one. That gold was the point when I decide let past things stay at past.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - crutch - 11-28-2021

The biggest L that I have personally taken on the site is when my player Connor Blackwell got traded from Edmonton to Hamilton. I was looking forward to help build the Blizzard into a contender at the time and I was super hyped to be a part of the time. However, I was being a dick and an asshole and then I got dealt which is rightfully so. Then in Hamilton I trolled the fuck out of everyone on the site and was just a general asshole in general. I think that I might have recovered from that L personally but I try to not be a dickhead on the boards anymore because it makes the SHL as a whole less fun. With that being said, I like talking shit in rivalries but I'm not gonna go out of my way to make someone feel like shit ya know ???

me and ace are cool now tho i think lol

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - lilstifler - 11-28-2021

prompt 2

There are always good moments in sport, and there are not such good moments, but the main thing is to stay alert and be able to stand up in the most difficult moments. I've had such moments in my player's career too, it was 2 seasons ago when I was already a pretty stable SHL player, I had a bad season and was already starting to think about the end of my career because nothing really worked out. At that moment, my teammates and coach came to help me, who encouraged me that there would always be mountains and downsides. Nothing ever happens perfectly. That's exactly what it is. The previous season in my performance was a very good, scoring and goal scoring record. This season is no longer so brilliant, but also the role in the team is great, for which I am very pleased to continue to trust me. Although my career is really slowly coming to an end, I can say that any young player would not be advised to strike hot, because all good will come at the right moment and without haste.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - CheerfulBender20 - 11-28-2021

***I am writing about prompt two.

This one is easy, dear reader.  I experienced the biggest L on this site last season, when the Maine Timber failed to qualify for the playoffs despite being a middle of the road, ever improving squad.  Honestly, finishing the season utterly defeated - I’m talking zero wins and sixty-six losses, the purest of defeats - would have been fine.  Indeed, it would have been preferable to what happened.  It’s hard to complain about not making the playoffs when you stink.  We did not stink, however.  I believe we finished a game below five-hundred, but had the misfortune of falling in one of the newly created divisions that cast its cellar dweller into oblivion.  Oh well, what are you going to do?  Complain about it, that’s what.  Adding to the sting of defeat was my prominence on the roster.  I was one of a handful of players at the cap - the responsibility to rack up a few more points rested with me, and I let the team down.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - raymond3000 - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2

The Season 37 Challenge Cup Finals was one of the toughest losses during my time in the SHL. My player Kristian Eriksson was well into regression, as the rest of his Toronto North Stars team was aging and going inactive as well. The Stars had won the Cup two seasons ago in Season 35, and still maintained several of their core pieces, but this season was in many ways a last hurrah for that generation of North Stars hockey. The Stars managed to get into the Challenge Cup finals where they faced off against the Winnipeg Jets. The Stars jumped out to a three to one series lead, but ultimately the Jets won three straight to comeback and steal the series. The Jets had been running some controversial tactics running a limited number of elite players and double shifting them which ended up being banned by the league the next season, so that left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Additionally, the Stars started their rebuild that off-season, one which would ultimately snowball into decades of misfortune and mediocrity that the Stars have really yet to recover from.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Dewalt27 - 11-28-2021

WSBL affiliate

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - academydropout - 11-28-2021

Last season was rough. Imagine this, you're part of one of the best squads in your team's history. You've picked up 100 points as a team, second in the league, and look like a genuine championship contender. You sweep the first round of the playoffs, and face the only team in the league with a better record than you in the semi finals. You're all riding a wave of confidence, you've been killing it all season. You're looking good, and while your regular season matchups with this opponent ultimately went their way (3 losses to 2 wins), the last two games were close, settled by a single goal. One of those in overtime. And earlier in the season you absolutely eviscerated these guys to the tune of seven goals to two.

So anyway, your playoff matchup starts. You lose the first game 6-1. This stings. Like, really stings. But you know you have six more games to turn it around. It's okay.
Except... By the fourth game, you're down 3-0, and now you have to win every remaining game in this series. Put simply, you need a miracle to turn this around.
But in game four, a miracle you get. Game four ends 8-3 in your favour. You start to believe again.

Then you lose the fifth game in the series. By one goal. Again. Possibly the best shot you'll have at a championship in your SMJHL tenure, and it's gone. Just like that.

(ISFL: 37thchamber)