Simulation Hockey League
Official General NHL Discussion Thread - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: "Official" Thread Forum (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=348)
+---- Thread: Official General NHL Discussion Thread (/showthread.php?tid=60363)

- Nereus - 02-24-2017

I like the trade because we're in win now mode. And its a weak draft in which we already hold two second rounders. We could still move the Vatman as well. Who knows.

- Brandon - 02-24-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Feb 24 2017, 05:47 PM

It's the WHL Tongue if history shows anything WHL success is about as relevant to NHL success as World Junior success lol
Well, in the grand scheme of things, World Junior success is quite relevant actually Tongue

[Image: rv8w78.png]

Only a couple guys in there that didn't have successful NHL careers.

- Insayne - 02-24-2017

I've watched probably 20 games of Sam Steel's and he's the real deal. His numbers are ever so slightly inflated but he'll find a place on the NHL roster sooner rather than later. If no one in the WHL translated to the NHL then no one would play there lol. WHL is better than the QMJHL as a whole and plenty of studs have come from the Q (and the W).

The Ducks made a great pick getting him late in the 1st.

- Insayne - 02-24-2017

Steel had 4 goals tonight. 111 points in 54 games this year so far lol

- Maxy - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Insayne@Feb 24 2017, 10:46 PM
Steel had 4 goals tonight. 111 points in 54 games this year so far lol
Meh means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Last time a even somewhat decent NHL player led the WHL in scoring was 05-06 with Troy Brouwer lol.

I just don't see him transitioning into the NHL well at all

- Insayne - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Feb 24 2017, 11:06 PM

Meh means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Last time a even somewhat decent NHL player led the WHL in scoring was 05-06 with Troy Brouwer lol.

I just don't see him transitioning into the NHL well at all
Past trends in juniors mean absolute dick to be honest. If McDavid would have played in the WHL it wouldn't have made the perception of the league any better or worse. If Steel were a top 5 pick they'd be jacking him off like they did Marner last year

Guess you'll have to wait and see how he turns out. Doing a lot better than Dallas' late 1st rounder (lol)

- Maxy - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Insayne@Feb 24 2017, 11:10 PM

Past trends in juniors mean absolute dick to be honest. If McDavid would have played in the WHL it wouldn't have made the perception of the league any better or worse. If Steel were a top 5 pick they'd be jacking him off like they did Marner last year

Guess you'll have to wait and see how he turns out. Doing a lot better than Dallas' late 1st rounder (lol)
Yeah just no way to tell, all what ifs.

You talking about Tufte? Why you say that? I don't really follow him now but I wanted him 24th overall in the draft. Was quite disappointed when we took Jones. Even more so after watching his scumbag play a couple weeks ago. (I really hated the Ducks 16 draft lol. Only picks I liked were Kopacka and Soy)

- Brandon - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Feb 24 2017, 11:19 PM

You talking about Tufte? Why you say that? I don't really follow him now but I wanted him 24th overall in the draft. Was quite disappointed when we took Jones. Even more so after watching his scumbag play a couple weeks ago. (I really hated the Ducks 16 draft lol. Only picks I liked were Kopacka and Soy)
Tufte only has 5 goals and 10 points in 27 games this year for UMD, hasn't really been able to latch on to a top 6 role for the Bulldogs it seems. Seemed like going into the season Tufte had a chance to play on UMD's top line but Joey Anderson is the one that's seized the opportunity there.

And I see Max Jones as a carbon copy of Brad Marchand. Prototypical guy you love him if he's on your team and absolutely can't stand him if he's not. He probably needs to learn where the line is but I love his style of play, there's a lot of young kids that play tentative hockey but not Jones, kid is like a buzzsaw on the ice.

- Insayne - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Feb 24 2017, 11:19 PM

Tufte is your typical "big and nasty must equal a hockey player" special. Not anymore lol.

He's been awful in the NCAA. Currently has 10 points in 27 games this year (5 goals, 5 assists).

Bust of the draft so far

- GroupMeIsKindOfOkay - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Insayne@Feb 24 2017, 11:32 PM

Tufte is your typical "big and nasty must equal a hockey player" special. Not anymore lol.

He's been awful in the NCAA. Currently has 10 points in 27 games this year (5 goals, 5 assists).

Bust of the draft so far
It's absolutely insane to call someone a bust this early

Kevin Hayes had similar numbers his freshman year.
Some kids take a little longer to adjust

- Insayne - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by GroupMeIsKindOfOkay@Feb 24 2017, 11:34 PM

It's absolutely insane to call someone a bust this early
Considering my man up there was saying that Steel was gonna amount to nothing in the midst of a OVER 2PPG season I felt I was well within my rights to do so.

Who honestly cares though. Tufte is getting passed by walk ons on the depth chart. He was drafted straight outta high school/USHL. Being 6'5 200+ in high school is just straight up unfair

- TheLastOlympian07 - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Maxy@Feb 24 2017, 02:47 PM

It's the WHL Tongue if history shows anything WHL success is about as relevant to NHL success as World Junior success lol
WHL >>> OHL >>> OMJHL >>> NCAA

- Brandon - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by TheLastOlympian07@Feb 24 2017, 11:38 PM

WHL >>> OHL >>> OMJHL >>> NCAA
I've always found it difficult to compare the NCAA with the CHL, yeah there's probably more future NHLers playing in the Canadian juniors but I've always found production in the NCAA to be much more impressive than production in the CHL. The NCAA by nature it just a lot more systemized and the style of play is a lot tighter and defensive, honestly closer to an NHL style of play, so I've always found 50 points in the NCAA way more impressive than say 70 in the CHL.

- GroupMeIsKindOfOkay - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Brandon@Feb 24 2017, 11:40 PM

I've always found it difficult to compare the NCAA with the CHL, yeah there's probably more future NHLers playing in the Canadian juniors but I've always found production in the NCAA to be much more impressive than production in the CHL. The NCAA by nature it just a lot more systemized and the style of play is a lot tighter and defensive, honestly closer to an NHL style of play, so I've always found 50 points in the NCAA way more impressive than say 70 in the CHL.
Agreed 100%

- TimeToBringThePain - 02-25-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Brandon@Feb 25 2017, 04:40 AM

Well in College its alot of adults(like 20+). Alot of guys in NCAA, know their roles. Most obviously wont see the light of day in the NHL. Where as in the CHL, you have young kids for the first time learning structure. And figuring out what they are capable of. They 100% are impossible to compare though