Simulation Hockey League
S69 PT #3: Dive - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S69 PT #3: Dive (/showthread.php?tid=129180)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - SimmiZ - 02-07-2023

Player Prompt

Lund is a very fierce competitor, he love to play physical, its his biggest attribute, and with that style of play, come the famous embellishement... Lund hate player that does it often, when there not a lot to win from it, that's why he hate watching european football. For him its just people jumping around as soon as someone tickle their arm. But sometime, you have to step on your honor to help your team. Team always come first, and in a situation like that specialy, when a playoff appereance is on the line, Lund would not hesitate one second to try to get referees attention in this situation. He knows that referees very rarely give embelishement penality alone, so with that in mind, worst case scenario is that both him and the other player will get a 2 mins, and nothing will change from that. Lund has decided to hide a razor blade on his glove, so if it happen again, he could try to subtly cut himself with it, and have a 4 mins PP instead of 2 mins, but shhhh dont tell the refs.

188 words

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Katth - 02-07-2023

Having to write hundred and fifty words about embellishment... That is a pretty rough PT if you ask me. I think embellishment infractions should be called more often. Having a one man advantage in hockey is a pretty powerful weapon and by embellishing it is easily weaponized. Also I think this should have no place in sports. If I want to see embellishments I'll watch football (or soccer) games where it has become comon practice which works as well. If referees do not stand up and and act hockey will become like football. In football refs do not even care anymore, fans do not either. They all think it is now part of the game. Which does not make the game any better. In hockey a player is responsible for his equipment, but it is also a fact that sticks do fly. If you get touched, own it and play on. Embellishment is just unprofessional

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Ricer13 - 02-07-2023

Peter Tingle isn’t going to be the one who ends up taking the chance on an embellishment call. The chances are too high that you could be the one who ends up putting your team in the box rather than sending them to a power play. The only way to change the out come of the game with the most certainty is to put your nose to the grind stone and get that elusive go ahead goal. I would rather lay a big hit and get into the opponents head with some smack talk. Mental warfare rather than trying to play dirty. Maybe this will push them to make a mistake that we can then capitalize on. I know some players don’t play the game with integrity but Peter Tingle isn’t one of them. Work hard until the very end and do whatever it takes within the lines to get the job done.

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Opera_Phantom - 02-07-2023

Of course Jay Cue would take it. If you remember correctly, that you probably do, his main sport is soccer, so if you think he would not take advantage of a slight graze on the chin to make a meal out of it and help his team, you are probably diagnosed as "crazy as a bat". Or blind as one.
As much as it costs everyone, faking it is well engrained in every sport, so players do take advantage in that. If shouting and throwing yourself on the ground pretending to be hit by a sniper shot gives you a power play advantage, i guess you take it.
But the best part is that this is an imaginative situation, as no player gets even close enough to Jay Cue to be able to touch him with his stick. He is too fast and skillful to allow for that to happen.
So, keep dreaming! It is the only way you can get close to him.

(164 words)

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - NJBadApple - 02-07-2023

I think the addition of embellishment calls in the NHL has been great for the game; it helps keep everyone playing honest and gives players a bad reputation if they try to pull off an act. If you look at video from the early 2000's you can see there was a LOT of embellishment and players trying to 'sell' calls off to the ref. Are they called too often? Not at all, it's not like an occurrence that you see during every game, but since being implemented you can definitely see an improvement in how players take physical action. Now I would like to see the NHL make some of these calls from the war room in Toronto, since there's obviously room for human error and refs just simply can't catch every single infraction. Maybe if there was something in place so they can catch egregious calls or big ones that were missed, that's the only real improvement I could see on it.

Code:
Words: 150+

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - CapnCooper - 02-07-2023

Texas has been outside the playoff race for a few seasons but as we've reached mid way, the team is starting to figure things out. The team doesn't have much of a chance to catch the rest of the Central division but they have an opportunity to race against the Minnesota Monarchs for playoff position. The games against them get furious as the points are close, and any game against each other is crucial. As Boots ties up Froste in the corner, Baltisberger comes in from behind and gets his stick just high enough to graze Boots under the chin. It's not enough to cause any harm, and Boots decides not to react as he's got his man Froste who he thinks is the most dangerous one to worry about. As the puck comes loose, Boots give Froste a shove and pokes Baltisberger with his stick behind the legs to get his attention and yell at him to watch the stick. Boots would rather provoke a legit penalty instead of taking the dive. It's not something he's known for, but he'll use it as fuel to provoke something else in hopes of drawing a penalty.

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - CptSquall - 02-07-2023

Lets take your words at face value. It barely touches August's chin, as a goalie who doesn't wear a neck protector it probably got under his mask. Seeing that he doesn't take too kindly to that kind of thing and would already want to grab the stick, why not "Help" the opponent hook off his mask? After all, Its somewhere between a gentle high stick and goalie interference.

Zebras need to pay attention to goalies in trouble as is and this one could pass as believable. If not a true penalty, the stoppage in play from August Von Hecht's mask coming off could result in a short bit of rest that may prove vital for the boys to get that all important goal. A chance for a massive powerplay might even see us getting those two points in regulation and who doesn't want to deny the opposition points while gaining them yourself?

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Mutedfaith - 02-07-2023

There are definitely more than a few current and former NHL players who have a reputation of embellishment, and most of them have the record to show the moniker is well deserved. Sidney Crosby, Martin Brodeur, Brad Marchand and Sean Avery are some of the bigger names on that list.

Diving or embellishment by a player shows an absolute disrespect to the game of hockey, and is somethign wee'd more expect from a football player. It ruins the integrity of the play, and should be discouraged and penalized as much as possible.

A few seasons ago, the NHL has started to review possible embellishment/diving plays, and penalize them with fines. Players like Tony DeAngelo, Michael Bunting and Garnet Hathaway have all received a player fine for their second violation.

Thankfully this has somewhat worked in reducing the number of overly obvious embellishment and diving actions by players. But in order to further abolish it from the game, more serious consequences need to be tied to players being caught. We don't want out sport turning into a bunch of rolling babies like football has.

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - ValorX77 - 02-07-2023

ISFL CW

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - efischermann - 02-07-2023

Code:
HOCKEY PROMPT - A similar prompt, but talking more about hockey at large in the modern era.  

Written Task:  What do you think of embellishment calls and diving in the NHL? Do you think they're called too much? Not enough? Is it a necessary evil to make sure the referee actually sees that something happened? Even if it wasn't that bad? Do you think there are players with deserved reputations for diving? Maybe undeserved reputations? (150+ words)

Embellishment calls are necessary and, in my opinion, not called enough. The amount of dives and embellishment attempts have gotten completely out of control. It is usually the same players that do it, which makes it even worse. I believe that they should be called more, and similar to soccer, I think there should be some kind of accumulation penalty. After maybe two embellishment penalties it is larger fine, after your third, you get an automatic one game suspension. If they continue after your suspension is over, all of these get worse. Double the fine after the second instance , two game suspension after the third instance. These would all continue to go up. All of this diving and embellishing needs to stop. It ruins the integrity of the game and it ruins the best sport in the world. Like I said earlier, it is mainly a select few players that are the ones doing this repetitively, and those guys wont start getting the message until it hits them where it hurts, their wallets and in the locker room.

179 words

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Raven - 02-07-2023

SSL PT

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - ZootTX - 02-07-2023

On one hand, there's nothing more eye rolling than seeing a player (in any sport) take a very light hit and then see them collapse and roll around on the ground like their leg's been cut off like the Black Knight from Monty Python. It detracts from the game and makes the player look like a big dummy for sure. On the other hand, Miguel Hefeweizen is a competitor at heart and the rules can be very flexible when it comes to making sure that the team gets put into a good position to secure the win. I think it would really depend on how well Miguel thinks he could sell the hit without looking like a big baby, and also if getting a game stoppage would interrupt his team's momentum. If his team wasn't really jiving at the time I think Miguel tries for the penalty to be honest. All's fair in love and hockey, as they say.
164 words

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - .Laser - 02-07-2023

This is a very interesting scenario that I think I have to answer in a way that neither accepts or denies the premise of said question. Would I dive to try and draw the penalty, or would I stick it out and be honest? The truth of the matter is that I don't think that Graj would notice. In the heat of the moment, in a scrum trying to get a loose puck in a rivalry game with playoffs on the line, Graj's competitive nature would have kicked in twelvefold and a stick barely scraping his chin would probably register just about as much as an accidental elbow in the arm, or an accidental knee to the leg. Graj wouldn't flop in this instance - but he also wouldn't make a conscious decision to be on the up and up. Graj would probably just keep on trucking and do his absolute best to keep the puck out of his keeper's net.

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Crazylemire - 02-07-2023

Well for Kayden Pale playing a little bit on rough side as always been his moto trying too play down a Hit from behind or dirty hit. As been something he has done throughout his time in SHL when this situations occurr but there was a certain situation that things really took a turn for the worst a player for Montreal took a dive and caused Kayden Pale too sit in box in an important last couple minutes of the 3rd Montreal ended up coming back and winning it from this, Kayden Pale was Furious and Fans were upset and dragging the whole situation a couple games later New England would get the chance too face Montreal again this is where stuff took a turn as Kayden Pale was trying too instgate a fight with said player the opponent wasnt up too dropping the gloves so later in game Kayden Pale took a run at him and put him on Strecher too leave the game

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Faelax - 02-07-2023

Hockey prompt:

I feel like embellishment is not called enough. It is very easy to spot one or two instances of it in every game, sometimes even more than that. I think it is incredibly necessary to have the penalty because without it, people would be diving left and right anytime a stick is vaguely close to their face, and I do not think anyone would enjoy that version of the game of hockey, unless of course you enjoy half of the game being power play. As far as a ref needing to see something for a penalty to be called, I think you need it but it gets a little weird. It is something I think that would be perfect to put to video review, but I know some people already say that we have far too much video review as is, and it leads to a slippery slope where everything gets reviewed and no one wants that.