Simulation Hockey League
S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice (/showthread.php?tid=133352)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Salming - 10-04-2023

Task 2:

Well, William Salming is a forward. But he understands ice-hockey is played with units of five men. Nobody is able to cheat or other four players suffer. That's why helping defenders to defend rush chances, odd man rushes, normal attacks and opponent's PP's are things Salming does very well and he wants to do them to help his team succeed. Salming has always been reliable two-way winger who values playing in own zone more than playing in the offensive zone. For him, the most important aspect in the game is to prevent opponent scoring and after that it is time to think about attacking. Famous Finnish hockey coach Jukka Jalonen has said: When you defend well, you attack well. So, everything begins defending well and if your five players on the ice defend well, they will get also great scoring opportunities. So, for Salming helping defenders comes naturally but he has tried to teach some of his tricks to also his younger teammates.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - SledgehammerPete - 10-04-2023

Option 1:
Sven Petterson is ecstatic to be offered the opportunity to take butt loads of money help grow the game in an undeveloped hockey nation.  When he was given the option to choose which nation to go to, he made sure to consult his middle eastern friends on which place would be the best for a Swedish white boi to have lots of fun.  They told him that Saudi Arabia would be a good fit.  He figures that the first step to creating a successful hockey camp is to effectively network and rub elbows with wealthy donors who will be able to monetarily fund the operations moving forward.  “I could just go run a hockey camp every year, but I have such limited resources. The Saudi Royal Family has graciously welcomed us into their nation, with hopes that we will bring future glory and continued relevance to the region.”  It is rumored that the camp’s attendees all receive a pair of skates made of pure gold as a commemorative token.  Sven could not be reached for additional comment on his compensation structure.
181 words

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - FaraDian - 10-04-2023

Diehm has always been a defenseman's best friend. Look at these abilities: 16s in checking, hitting, and stickchecking, with a 15 in positioning and now a 17 in defensive read (plus the max 12 in shot blocking). But those are just numbers, you really gotta look at the attitude.

Marton prides himself on his knowledge of the game and ability to read and react to what's happening on the ice. And his body may not be big but he's bringing it hard everywhere he goes. His favorite places to be are in front of the opponent's net or working his legs in the offensive corners. Best way to help out the D is to make sure they don't have that much to do. Pinning the puck, and the opposing players, down in the corner gives the blueliners the opportunity to change up and be ready to defend the clears. They just have to hold up the break, dump it back in, and let Marty get back to work.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Wheels - 10-04-2023

Philip Fry found himself facing an exciting opportunity during the off-season. An international organization dedicated to spreading the love for hockey contacted him, offering a substantial check to run a one-week hockey camp in a nation that lacked an IIHF team. After some contemplation, he chose Mongolia. Mongolia, known for its tasty beef dish, was a country not typically associated with ice hockey. Philip saw this as a chance to introduce the sport to a new frontier. The nomadic spirit of the Mongolian people resonated with him, and he believed that their determination and adaptability would translate well onto the ice. The camp would run with a focus on fundamental skills, fostering a love for the game among Mongolian youth. With donated equipment and a team of dedicated coaches, Philip aimed to transform a barren ice rink into a thriving hub of hockey activity. He envisioned children skating beneath the shadow of the Mongolian mountains, laughing, learning, and falling in love with the sport, helping it grow even in the most unexpected corners of the world.

176 Words

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - JoeSteel - 10-04-2023

ISFL Affiliate

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Otrebor13 - 10-04-2023

This is easy, we’re going to Italy! Now I know in terms of hockey it’s not the best country to be in, however, they have had some people become more interested in the sport and it could be a great place to be to try and get more people involved. Of course, for a country so heavily invested in soccer I don’t know just how many people would go towards a career in hockey, but it’s worth a shot.

Obviously there’s some selfishness involved here too, as I would also choose Italy because it would be an awesome place for a vacation. So while I have to run a hockey school during the day, I would have evenings free to try out great restaurants, see great scenery and architecture and enjoy the local culture. While hockey would be the primary goal, using that nice big check to splurge in a beautiful country such as Italy is hard to turn down.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - slothfacekilla - 10-04-2023

Code:
Show me your player running a youth hockey camp.

[Image: XktXaYu.png]

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Toivo - 10-04-2023

My player is heading to Laos. We are going to grow the ice hockey game in Laos. Recently, Laos has had a resurgence of sports with baseball surprisingly being one of them. They have sent a family to the PBE which is in its fourth generation currently. This would be a great opportunity to grow the game in a non-traditional ice hockey country. Laos might not seem like an obvious choice at first, but it has some benefits. The young population would love to get a crack at a sport they don’t normally get to watch or play. The country has some great scenic beauty. The camp would start with a focus on the fundamentals. Getting the camp attendees familiar with the concept and rules of ice hockey. It wouldn’t be an intensive camp, we need to grow the game and not turn them off from ice hockey forever. Instead it would be about fostering curiosity and interest in the game.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Aleris - 10-04-2023

ISFL Affiliate

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - karlssens - 10-04-2023

Code:
Written Task: Tell me what your player wants the forwards on their team to do to help them out. If your player is a forward, tell me what you do to help your defensemen succeed.

My previous player was a defenseman and as a defenseman the two things he wanted from his forwards were to pressure the opposing defensemen in the defensive zone so they don't have a bunch of time to load up a clap bomb and find an open lane once they had the puck so he'd have a few outlet options for passing. Lastly make a nice screen for his shot from the point and hopefully don't block it. Now a forward again, the roles have reversed, but the instruction remains pretty much the same. Don't go down too low in the defensive zone unless you're confident you'll get it (or you're a center) and get open once they have the puck so they have someone to pass to. Ultimately I guess the main takeaway is just to be aware at all times and not be a complete liability on the ice like some wingers have the tendency to do.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Aneeqs - 10-04-2023

ISFL Affiliate

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Nictox - 10-04-2023

You know I noticed in the last couple seasons I was not being defensive enough for the team. I was being the all out offensive guy who barely registered on the scoresheet. This offseason I decided to work on my defensive game a little more. I took steps early on in the summer to become a better all around player. I worked on my overall back checking and focused on being a pest to the opponents with the puck. I worked with the defensive coaches to learn how to lift a stick properly without drawing a penalty. Hell, I even worked on my positioning in the defensive zone. You will not see me standing by the blue line, or worse the red line, waiting for the puck to get to me anymore. I feel like I have improved and should be able to help my defensemen buddies out more. I am hoping this is the season where I break out and can play a 200ft game and lead the Monarchs to post season success.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - RomanesEuntDomus - 10-04-2023

Option 1 - Here We Go Again

My player would be taking his camp to Ukraine for obviously political reasons. In a hockey world where too many players aren't involved politically at all or, even worse, actively support wannabe and actual dictators, it would be important to make a statement like this that goes beyond just hanging a flag at home or making lofty statements on social media. Taking this camp to Ukraine would not just be a sign of support and solidarity, you would also be doing something that is actually meaningful by taking a risk and potentially putting yourself in harms way for what you believe is right. Plus the political backlash is not to be underestimated either, be it from the Russian and their supporters to partisan political actors at home, from politicians to actual league personnel. And lastly, the players in Ukraine simply deserve a chance to play the sport they love as well. They are as talented and hard-working as players anywhere else in the world and sheer bad luck has been robbing them of the opportunity to pursue their dreams.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Bruins10 - 10-04-2023

I think this is a perfect question for Bruno Tooyo, especially for the timing. Bruno is coming from a team that let in 307 goals last season in the regular season, and he is joining a team that let in only 216 goals against last season. And, not only that, Bruno is also becoming a centerman for the Wolfpack. There was a demand at the position and the change of position was easy, considering the amount of banked TPE I had, so the switch was made. Being a center means having more responsibility up and down the ice, and I think having a good communication and a good relationship with the defenseman will help them teach me and help me learn the way the Wolfpack play defense.

Upping my Face off stats will help the defenseman thats forsure. A matter of puck possession and controlling the puck is super important. If the other team does not have the puck, they can not score a goal. Also, a matter of playing the simple pass and really making the easy play is super important. Risky passes and dangerous passes causes turnovers. Turnovers are a big reason why the other teams score goals so limiting both of those will be super important to keeping the goals against number low.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - leviadan - 10-04-2023

Ask not what your defensemen can do for you, ask what you can do for your defensemen. Personally, I just lay my old bones out there. If I can block a shot before they do, I'm doing it. If I can be the third man in and knock a guy out of a corner puck battle, I'm there. You need a stick because some dweeb slashed yours away on the PK? Take mine. I'm almost toast in this league, man. I can only do so much damage to myself, might as well take it on the chin for a season or two more so that the other guys don't have to. If I break something or smash something that shouldn't be smashed then I'm already on my way out. No need for any of our future stars to block a shot when I can. That feels like it's my role as I wind down my career-- meat shield / motivational speaker.