Simulation Hockey League
S69 PT #3: Dive - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S69 PT #3: Dive (/showthread.php?tid=129180)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Nhlbeastmode_7777 - 02-09-2023

I would not because it is hard for a goalie to get a high stick or get an embellishment. I think that it is dumb to take those type of penalties. I think it is best to not throw your head back while taking a penalty because you don't want a four on four. You want to stay as clean as you possibly can. I think that it's smart to take to the chin and maybe just stay quiet as well and maybe we can have a power play. I want the people know that I have their back and I'll be as clean as possible through out the year as much as I can. I try not to take penalties but to draw a penalty as much as I can to make the other team miserable as much as possible. I personally think it's better to stay clean than it is to take a stupid penalty like that one.
164 words

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - downer - 02-09-2023

Hockey Prompt

I think embellishment in itself is a big issue, but I think it's important to take in context sometimes. The context to take in, is that the refs suck. If the refs were more consistent with their calls, then embellishment wouldn't be an issue, in my opinion. Some players get continuously mugged every game, and unless it's something particularly egregious then it won't be called. Sometimes it feels like these players really have to sell the penalty in order to draw a call, and it's those scenarios where if the refs were more consistent, there wouldn't be a need for these players to embellish. Now, some players will embellish regardless, and I think THAT type of reaction is a terrible thing for the game. Seeing a player go down on the ice like they got shot, lay on the ice for a moment awaiting to see if there's a call, then finally hopping up and hitting full-stride immediately is a great indicator of someone who's trying to dive and draw the penalty. I HATE this type of play, and it has no place in Hockey.

[194 words]

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - CementHands - 02-09-2023

ISFL Claim

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Z0REM - 02-09-2023

Fck penatyls. Looks man, penalties are all good and stuff but you want catch Seamus O'Slapahan taking a dive for some points. No, I have integrity. I have self respect. I have lots of things going for me, but taking a dive is not in my blood. What I would rather do is double down and just be a better player. Let the rage fuel my plays. Hit harder, skate faster, the whole nine yards. There are no rivals when you are the apex predator, the booze hound, the main event. Now if the other team wants to take a dive that is on them, they have to live with themselves. And if they somehow manage to win the game, well they should know that well be right there to knock them down again next time. So keep on keeping on people and win despite the penalties because special teams are not always overpowered.

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Fitted2106 - 02-09-2023

I would most definitely embellish in fact that's just the way I am you know the team's gonna win Cameron without that you know. And if I don't do it then the other team we'll lose and then what the h*** does that mean so I'll always fake it till you make it you never know who's watching leaving of gods watching and spread it card doesn't even matter The only thing that matters is the fact that we get the wind and if that means I gotta fake it to do it then f*** it your mom identified and make me pay a parking ticket no one gives a f*** bro let's go And if they do care they're f****** losers and they're dumb because I definitely don't care no one else does the only person who might is the other team and honestly no 1 else gives a f*** with the other 10 money feathers team And And if this isn't enough words now it should be because I'm sick and tired of the media greater's bro you know what I mean PT director who ever caused.

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - hhh81 - 02-09-2023

Player Prompt

Sir, you’re mistaken, the Baltimore Platoon are nowhere near the playoffs. They can’t even spell it!

Regardless, M’Baku Olubori is a theatrical player, but would he lean into something like this? I think he’d be more likely to play it up and retaliate than sit back and take an errant stick. Baku might slightly embellish moving his head like he got hit, but immediately stay in the play and keep fighting in the corner for the puck. Now, if a ref happened to call a penalty on it, Baku would absolutely talk trash to the other team to get a rise out of them. He knows there was no penalty, the other player knows there wasn’t a penalty, but if the ref makes the wrong call, Baku certainly will rub it in. Again, this might earn him an offsetting unsportsmanlike penalty, but fuck it, this man isn’t afraid of some controversy. It would likely take Lord Raiden and Jamal Nightingale stepping in to pull him back from a big mess. Otherwise, if Baku gets clipped, he’ll just give it back in the corners or on a big open ice check. Keep your head up when playing Baltimore!

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Hoovuh - 02-09-2023

SSL Affiliate

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - HoltzFan10 - 02-09-2023

PT Pass

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Operation Ivy - 02-09-2023

Player Prompt

If I took a light stick to the chin, you best believe I am going to do what I can to draw the penalty. I wouldn't go as far as to fall to the ice and cover my face, but I would emulate a pump fake like a basketball player would do when trying to fake out the defender into thinking they are taking a shot. My hope would be that with this quick head fake, the referee would see just enough to blow the whistle, and yet I would still be able to carry on with the play in case they do not see it as a time to call the penalty.

I have always said I would do whatever it takes to help the team win, and in this case my mentality is no different. It is not secret how important special teams are in the game of hockey, and if me selling a penalty can put the team up a man for two minutes, I would say that is well worth some boos from the crowd and chirps from the opposing team.

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Jumbobone19 - 02-09-2023

Written Task:
That is a tough choice. Take a dive and try to draw a penalty or keep playing. This might be the easy way out but it would depend on the the situation and where I am at on the ice. If I am battling in the offensive zone, and I have the potential to keep going and get a scoring chance out of it. Then I definitely push through and keep playing. A good scoring chance is worth more than diving. But if I am in the defensive zone, then I will definitely take the stick and go down. I will definitely try to draw a penalty in that situation. Even if I am in the offensive zone but have no shot getting a scoring chance then taking the dive. There is always pride and playing hard-nosed but also just being a smart player. I think you have to do whats best in the situation. You have do to what helps the team win. 

-164 words

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - micool132 - 02-09-2023

Written Task:

Angus Mcfife the Eighteenth is not a coward, and is not a tool. Never will he cheat to gain an unfair advantage over his opponents, he is not like @Gwdjohnson. However, the rule does say that a stick to the face is an automatic infraction in hockey. And even if it doesnt hurt or theres no injury, the other guy is resposible for their stick you know. Can't let that stick fly by in front of other's face, am I right @goldenglutes?. So therefore, I do act like the stick touched my face and i put on my shocked face, sock pigl face as we call it in Atlanta and London @gordon bombay This face represents not pain nor simulated pain but really a shock that a stick hit me in the face signaling to the refs that might have missed a call, that is automatic acording to the textbook mind you, and thus the other team should be penalised. Nothing unworthy or to be ashamed of, missing calls happen and I'm just helping the refs to get the correct call. Maybe it didn't touch me it went so fast who knows!

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Fluw - 02-10-2023

Just based on principle I would likely not do anything if it just grazed me, I am not really one to embellish a play. Just in general that could be a call that could go both ways depending if it was caught by the ref. On one hand the ref may not see the full picture, and may call it your way earning your team the powerplay. On the other hand if they notice, or see you embellish then they may very well call a penalty against your team and then you are down a man and put your team at a disadvantage.

I totally understand that this is part of the game, however from my own personal perspective, I would not be able to feign being hurt unless I was actually hurt as such I was never a fan of diving, or embellishment. Overall, I am a player that sticks by the rules to a T, and won’t deviate from them, even if it means there is a chance I win my team the game.

(176 words)

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - McAl95 - 02-10-2023

Hockey Prompt

I'm not a huge fan of diving and embellishment in hockey. When I do see it, it always seems like star and high profile players do it and get away with it to draw penalties. It gives them a reputation as a diver and as someone who will do dirty plays so that they can to push their game further no matter the cost. I feel that refs can have a hard time distinguishing between a dive and an actual call because it can be such a slim difference between the two. I feel like if a dive or embellishment isn't or doesn't get called no matter how big or small it is in game, it sets a standard. If it doesn't get called it will encourage players to try it and get away with it since it won't be called as often.

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - StaticShocked - 02-10-2023

(226 words)

I feel like I barely see embellishment get called in the NHL anymore. Is that a good thing? A bad thing? Who knows. Maybe it's because of players being able to sell calls better or not be affected by them, or maybe it's because of referees not noticing or holding their whistles when someone's going down. It's probably necessary for referees to be aware of how most players react to being hit with things like high sticks or elbows/shoulders up high just to get a gauge on how they go down, but I understand the human element of it all and that you're not going to be able to get every call right all the time. As far as players in the NHL that have reputations for diving/embellishment, it feels like it's a very shallow pool of players. You would think that players who act sneaky and antagonize others (ex: Brad Marchand) would have more of a reputation for these kinds of calls, but they all seem pretty genuine about dealing with infractions. I know when PK Subban was around (but thankfully he never did this kind of stuff in NJ), he had a reputation of falling pretty easily in an attempt to sell things and would get fined for it at least once or twice per season.

RE: S69 PT #3: Dive - Fantobens - 02-10-2023

Player prompt -

Looking through the mask, at the front of the net. Scrummy scrummy. Stick it’s me under the mask. Was it a teammate? An enemy? Shit was it my stick? In this situation you have painted in such a crucial point in the game, and in a puffer picture my life, I hack the Achilles of whoever is standing in front of me. Not on my team of course, but maybe. I don’t like to shut out options. But I tee you what, you want to play stick paddy cake in front of my crease, that will be a slashin’. I do not give half a shit if I get a penalty, I don’t like it. That’s a slashin’. Look at me funny or say something stupid? That’s a slashin’. Keep your stick on the ice so I don’t have to bury it into your heel. Just saying. Or, maybe I’m tired and just act like jfk….