Simulation Hockey League
S64 PT#0: Read the Room - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S64 PT#0: Read the Room (/showthread.php?tid=122518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - goldenglutes - 03-09-2022

I am answering the written task for what I like and don't like about Point Tasks.

so personally i really liked some of the sillier point tasks that slash did in the last few seasons, such as that one about the jelly bean. honestly that jelly bean one was my favourite. however i will admit that i am not that much like the regular shl enjoyer and i don't really like writing about my player's hockey achievements or goals all that much, and i would rather shitpost about my player and my team/friends instead. so in that sense, i really enjoyed the more shitposty point tasks even though i know there is a decently large group of people in the league who really hated those point tasks. other than that, i really enjoy the variety of prediction tasks that we have these days, although it would be cool if the total amount of tpe that was handed out was reduced a smidge, just so peak tpe gets lowered and we all have shorter careers which is absolutely necessary for the future of this league in my opinion

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - Seymour - 03-09-2022

WSBL PT

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - Evil_AllBran - 03-09-2022

[Image: ugiXk3g.png]

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - gurbs - 03-10-2022

I'm not going to lie to you, I HATE doing PTs. It honestly feels like a chore and I tend to just bullshit some stuff for the words. 1 thing I do gotta say, I loved the 2 prompt ideas that were implemented, gives you a little variety. If it were up to me, SHL GMs would get a PT Pass. Again, that is not your fault and I understand we need PTs, and there isn't much we can do to avoid it. It sucks, I usually wait till Saturday/Sunday until the reminder bot gives me a ping. It started off fun but honestly, if I were any good at photoshop, I would probably just do a graphic option. Maybe have an option if people write 350 plus they get 1 extra tpe, not sure what can be implemented to make these more fun. I think I should just get 3 tpe free each week just for being me, what do you think of that idea?

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - JNH - 03-10-2022

Honestly, fuck it. You can do whatever you want for prompts and I'll still answer them all the same. I'm not going to be picky about a job that I have zero interest in doing myself and I'm (usually) not going to try to tell you how I think you should be doing it better.

But that's not helpful - so what prompts do I enjoy the most? I like a little bit of player background development. Some interesting points to kind of build your players background and story a little further. Beyond that, let's share a little bit about the users themselves. I think with discord we're pretty fragmented as a whole and it can be a nice window into the personalities and lives of those around you. A chance to share what they're doing away from the site at a given point - even just as an mPT. However - there is of course the issue that no one really reads PTs so who's gonna learn something from what someone else said. Is anyone even gonna read this? Whatever, still worth a try.

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - Kasterborous - 03-10-2022

Quote: Written Task: Whoops! You made an enormous mistake late in the third and it cost you the game. Everyone looks furious and it seems like they don't want to talk about it, but for some reason you feel compelled to apologize. What was the mistake, and how do you make it up to your team? (150 words minimum)

Rafael knew that he had screwed up.

The crucial moment--

And he slipped.

The potential winning point and he fumbled.

Lost the puck.

It was supposed to be such an easy goal, just an easy tap into the net with the goalie too preoccupied with focusing on something else. Rafa stood outside the locker rooms for the longest minute, his helmet in hand and his stick in the other as he leaned his forehead against the concrete wall, eyes closed. Everyone had watched; his friends, his family. It was easy enough to see it painted on their faces, all of them angry, all of them furious with the outcome.

He took another breath as he slowly tapped the wall with a closed fist.

He'd have to apologise.

No matter what the moment was.

No matter how tense the atmosphere was in the locker room.

Head up - his mama would always say, even if she had just scolded him for stealing the last cookie off the counter top. She would hope that he learned from it but at the same time realised that he was just a hungry child too. Rafael turned to walk into the locker room, his face looking ever so sheepish.

"I am very sorry," He started. It didn't sound real, but he meant it from the bottom of his heart. "I'll have to do better next time. I'm sorry it cost us the third and the game."

Keeping it simple and straightforward seemed the best way forward. Even if he wasn't the most liked player right now.

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - traphag - 03-10-2022

I'll be totally honest with you: I know very little about hockey. So when these PTs come up that ask me to do analysis of players, teams, seasons, whatever, I get a little anxious. Usually I'm able to fumble my way through it but I don't feel good about it and then I wonder if the graders are going to judge me because what I wrote didn't actually make sense. So I tend to prefer the more out of the box kind of silly prompts where I can build my character outside of the confines of hockey. If there's an opportunity to be creative and maybe crack a few jokes along the way, I'm all for it. We're here in these sim leagues to have some fun, right? So I feel like you should at least have some prompts that are goofy and fun. Thanks to the PT team for all that they do and I'm looking forward to seeing what prompts you guys come up with this year!

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - bjkman - 03-10-2022

ISFL Affiliate

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - sakrosankt - 03-10-2022

Prompt 1

Hello leviadan, congrats on the promotion and good luck in your new position. I also think that Slash did pretty well, and I am honestly not sure why there was trying to bring up drama with the way he put out prompts and tasks. Change doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad, and I even think the whole point task matter got into a good direction with him under center. Opening up the tasks to a wider range of topics definitely encouraged more than it is thought of. Breaking out of the strict hockey related mold can be refreshing. So I like prompts where you can make up a new story, also mixed with references to teammates or your team. But it's not a necessity for a good point task. It also depends on my motivation to write at all, and some point tasks can be more challenging to come up with a story. But 150 words isn't that much, so no matter what the task is, there will be a submission that should fit into the task in my opinion. I don't really have preferences though, and I'm just happy there are people who like to come up with ideas and the muse to do a job like that. Looking forward to the upcoming season!

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - NTG - 03-10-2022

ISFL Affiliate [NicholasTheGreat]

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - takethehorizon - 03-10-2022

[Image: WxsgIP0.png]

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - JohnnyPatey - 03-10-2022

Written Task: Tell me what you enjoy from PTs and the PT department! (150 words minimum) What kind of prompts do you love? What do you want to see more of? Are PTs a chore that you won't find fun or engaging no matter what they are? I think getting a vibe from all of you will help me settle in and plot my course forward, so why not award a little TPE for it.

When it comes to point tasks, there is not much that I love from them especially seeing the same one season after season in certain sim leagues. I have not been in the SHL for long at all so it is hard to give that description to this league yet. The biggest thing out of point tasks is having original thoughts every year and being able to tell different stories about your team or about your player. One where you have to research players seem like a chore, that seems more fit for a media piece. A point task should be an easy 150 and should take no more than 5-10 minutes in my opinion. It is something worth very little so why have to put in extra effort. I would like to see more opinion pieces like this one or even stuff related to the league in general. Something other than just the generic your player messed up or your player did this.

Words - 165

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - jaypc8237 - 03-10-2022

Written Task: Whoops! You made an enormous mistake late in the third and it cost you the game. Everyone looks furious and it seems like they don't want to talk about it, but for some reason you feel compelled to apologize. What was the mistake, and how do you make it up to your team? (150 words minimum)

The mistake I made was a huge mistake. It was tied 2 - 2 in the third period, with 1:30 left on the clock, and I was sent out to kill off the time with a stellar defensive performance. But of course, knowing my style of game, I got the puck during a line change, and I took a skate with it. I blew past the defenders who just got out on the ice, and got a breakaway. I deked left, right, left... and shot. Blocker save by the goalie, and the rebound was so grand, it flew right out to the centerman on the blue line, who skated past, and scored. And of course, I couldn't catch him. My team wasn't too mad at me, because we are very close, but you could see on their face they were upset I didn't get back and play my position in time.

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - Vulfzilla - 03-10-2022

PBE Affiliate

RE: S64 PT#0: Read the Room - thiefofcheese - 03-10-2022

I am not much of a role play guy with my player (odd for a person playing a simulation game) so realistically I don't care much for what prompts you use. My goal is to get the TPE and that requires checking the box. I do like the data aspect of the league though, but don't think PTs should be data driven as that takes a significant amount of time and word count does not equal quality in those areas. I like that now we see 2 prompts in the PTs to give us some options about which we would like to do so please keep that up. And then the grading seems to be a lot more consistent than it used to be so that we can all make our claims, which is really nice.

Just don't expand the word count please. I believe a lot of us are tracking each word to check that box so adding more would make it suck. Not saying you are planning to do that, but really anything outside of that and I would be fine.