Simulation Hockey League
S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate (/showthread.php?tid=98691)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - bk1689 - 08-08-2019

The Calgary Dragons of the SHL have just announced they have started a farm team in the city of Lethbridge, Alberta. The Lethbridge Legends are to begin play next season. Calgary went with Lethbridge because of the proximity to Calgary in the event of needing a quick emergency call up, but also as a team building kind of way as well as the 2 teams have plenty of conjoined events and nights out planned. Public debauchery is expected to ensue all over the province of Alberta when these 2 teams get together. The team is to be run by Dragons future hall of famer, Mike Izzy as well as relative newcomer to the team, Chico Smeb. Izzy has proven his worth as a GM on the international level and will be the head of the team, grooming Smeb for an eventual take over as head. Of course they also have the legendary Dragons managment team on speed dial as well.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - NUCK - 08-08-2019

With the new announcement coming down from the SHL head office, the Calgary Dragon organization has been given control of their own farm team. The news has been great as it will allow us some further depth to mold our young players into what we at Calgary are all about. It is with great pleasure to announce the creation of our new farm team, the Victoria Pupa! Like any great Dragon, one must start as a worthless larva! We have tasked Brad Marchand and Claude Lemieux with the general run of the team and it's players. Who better to teach our future then 2 of the biggest shit piles in hockey's history! We feel the control and depth our new farm organisation offers us will only help the team continue on its multi decade dynasty. Our new arena and training facility are already under way and we expect construction to be complete within the coming months.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - Weretarantula - 08-08-2019

The place I would choose to put the affiliate of Calgary is a pretty easy choice to make if you ask me. I would put it directly in the middle of Banff. Why Banff? Well, Banff is a beautiful place full of natural wonders and synthetic wonders. People flock from all over the world to experience what it's mountain has to offer, the sweet sweet powder that coats it and the town. There's nothing quite like the rush you get from taking in a short burst of its crystallized structure. And there's plenty of it too. It is Canada after all, land of snow and hockey. That's why I'd call the affiliate the Banff Blow-hards, and their mascot would be a Yeti. The only major downside I can foresee is that it might become a more popular place than the SHL teams location. It's like the story of coCaine and Abel. The stronger brother kills the weaker one in the end.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - xDParK - 08-08-2019

Our affiliate will be in South Korea because of superstar Chico Smeb. We’ll be the first team in the SHL to have an affiliate outside of North America which is a huge step for the SHL. The hope is to develop more young korean players who genetically have the potential to be a superstar like Chico, but lack the proper coaching and equipment to get started. We hope to see a boom in new Korean hockey players within the next ten to fifteen seasons after this and will maybe even have our own iihf team someday branching away from team japan

The team will be called The Seoul Mates because we are really into peace and love. The Seoul Mates will force all teams to have to travel to Korea which I’m sure will piss off the league, but oh well, they get to experience a great country and eat some of the best food in the entire world. So I wouldn’t be complaining if I was them.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - Alex Mack - 08-08-2019

SHL TEAM: CALGARY DRAGONS
AFFILIATE: EDMONTON KNOCKERS

[Image: hockey-package-1.jpg]

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - twils - 08-08-2019

The affiliate for the Tampa Bay Barracuda will be the Orlando Piranha. Orlando is just down the road making it ideal for calling up and down prospects of the team. Naming the team the Piranha keeps their branding in line with the Barracuda. Both being aggressive sea lurking animals, and with Orlando being coastal continues to make sense. They can have a similar colour scheme to identify that they are affiliated, a mix of dark and light blue hues. Whether a third team in Florida will work in this league is yet to be seen however this location is the most convenient. Orlando is a new market that upon proper marketing I believe could support a team financially. Another perk of the close proximity is that Barracuda fans up North can go see the farm team play and support the prospects as opposed to needing to make the trek to Tampa Bay.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - ErM - 08-08-2019

The Edmonton Blizzard are such a staple in the city of Edmonton that the Blizzard’s affiliate team will also play in the city of Edmonton. The team name is going to be a throwback to a classic and be called the Edmonton Yeti. The logo the team will use is going to be the classic Edmonton Blizzard Yeti logo that many of the fans and players are still fond of. This affiliate team will give Edmonton fans on a tighter budget more of an opportunity to get out of the house in Edmonton and see some hockey games. Younger players may have more opportunities to get exposure before they hit the minors giving them large fan bases that keep their pockets full. The Edmonton Yeti will be managed by two stapes on the team. Hercules Rockefellar @Leafs4ever and Mr. Scholz @karlssens these two are legends in the city of Edmonton these days and have shown that they possess leadership qualities and knowledge of the game to be successful managers.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - Kalakar - 08-08-2019

I think the best thing for Tampa Bay would be to have a minor league team as close to it as possible, so it would lessen the transport time between the two cities if a minor league player is called up. Also, you need a decently big city to accommodate a minor league team, and enough people to fill its seats. In that case, I believe a team in Orlando, Florida would work well. As for the team name, you have to keep it within the Tampa theme, and you can't go with sharks since it's already used in that other league, so I think it could be: Orlando Jellyfish. Listen, it doesn't sound intimidating, but that's what jellyfish want you to believe. They pounce on you when you least expect it. It would be a great team name for a city that is surrounded by lakes. And you could keep the same slogan for the Barracudas for the minor league team. FISH NOISES. 

So who wouldn't want to play in Orlando? Move the family, and the kids and the wife can enjoy all the theme parks around town and more. As for who could manage the Orlando Jellyfish? I think none other than our two new members of the cudas family, @Pris and @ztevans. They both know the game incredibly well, have been around forever and are well respected in the SHL.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - caltroit_red_flames - 08-08-2019

I think the minor league team for the Edmonton Blizzard should be in Red Deer. Of course it should be in Canada, Canadian are hockey fanatics so we'll get the most fans here to watch games and get the minor leaguers ready for the majors. Red Deer would be good because it's the biggest city that is closest to Edmonton. Even better, it's between Edmonton and Calgary so we can get some of the Calgary fanbase to come watch the young guns and become Blizzard fans! Total win for us in the marketing and finances department! Minor league team will be called the Alberta Avalanche, I'm a sucker for alliteration and really it just makes sense to have something else snow related for the baby blizz. We'll have to hire a manager and coach for the team, I think my prime candidates would be @Julio Tokolosh for the manager of the team, he's really knowledgable and has shown an interest in management, and then for coach I'd choose @ErM. Having played with him for my entire pro career, I can say firsthand that he knows how to motivate guys.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - Jiggly_333 - 08-08-2019

I'd say that the best affiliate for the New Orleans Specters would be a team in Atlanta. It's close by, doesn't have a franchise in the SHL or even in real life, and it's a large market that could use a team. The problem comes up when choosing a name for the team. The city itself has a strong history that we can draw a name out of, but the Atlanta Flames have already been used and it'd be like insisting on naming a fake hockey team "The Winnipeg Jets" even though that team is already back in the real life NHL. I could also use something that's a play on the city's old name "Terminus", but the Atlanta Thrashers actually already references that history, so clearly that's been used. Possibly the only thing I can think of that hasn't been referenced in sports names is the city's history with rap. So maybe something like the Atlanta Swats or the Atlanta Trap? Whatever it's named, that's where it should be.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - JSS - 08-08-2019

[Image: KeywEST.png]

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - ArGarBarGar - 08-08-2019

[Image: vQGK0z3.png]

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - hewasajazzman - 08-08-2019

ive always felt having a majors and minors system was a interesting idea for the league, not entirely sure how it would work out but i would be hopeful for it for sure. for the Manhattan Rage i thought the team’s minor affiliate could be located in Hartford, CT. now i know that Hartford isnt the best city as its crime rates are pretty high, but then again... i thought that was part of the appeal. with a branding like “Rage” you kind of expect something rough around the edges and a “no fucks given” attitude. plus i see all these New England players suggesting Portland, ME or somewhere in Rhode Island... having Manhattan’s minor team encroach on their fans territory could definitely stir up a rivalry. as for branding, i am not totally crazy on the ideas i came up with. at first i thought something close in meaning to Rage, like Fury. Storm also came up in my search and didnt sound too terrible because of the “or” sound in both Hartford and storm. im sure there are better branding ideas that could tie the city’s history in as well. or maybe something like Hartford Mayhem or Hartford Havoc just in terms of what the city is supposedly like. the one person i can think would be a good fit in terms of management would be @Inf1d3l.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - MyLittleHexx - 08-08-2019

For the Hamilton Steelhawks, I believe we should bring back a previous team to be a minor league affiliate. With that in mind, I think the Portland Admiral franchise would be a perfect team to be reborn. The branding and logo was amazing (the weird star trek logo they used was dumb as hell), and the history of the team was solid before incident that led to the teams demise and eventual re branding and relocation. In running the team, I think it should be a fresh face to hockey general managing. An old franchise with new blood should be the way to move forward, and past general mangers should be avoided as to avoid the same fate that fell upon the team previously. It may not be a popular decision to revive this franchise, however it feels like the hometown fans always appreciate having a hockey team again and being able to see a franchise that they watched when they were younger.

RE: S49 PT #1 - The Affiliate - Mack - 08-08-2019

If the Edmonton Blizzard get a minor team it should be located close by and run by someone with ties to the Blizzard organization. I say let's put the team in Spruce Grove Alberta. Nice and close by and if players have to get called up or sent down they can get to each team quickly. I have suggested this idea before because I think it would be great to make sure each new person to the website gets into a proper SHL lockerroom right away. Some of the SMJHL locker rooms can be dead and it can really kill someones passion for the site if they end up on one of the shitty SMJHL teams. This way they have people who are interested in their long term future around them right away from the first draft and can help guide them. Edmonton has a lot of great vets and maybe one of them would step up to coach/manage the team. We could run the two teams in a similar fashion and hope the long term results are better. We can brand them the Spruce Grove Groove