Simulation Hockey League
Official General NHL Discussion Thread - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=51)
+---- Forum: "Official" Thread Forum (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=348)
+---- Thread: Official General NHL Discussion Thread (/showthread.php?tid=60363)

- Reynolds - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Jun 23 2016, 03:34 PM

Also true. I also give him credit for finding Janmark out of nowhere and now he's a part of the younger core. He's done a lot more good than bad. I hope he continues and lets most of our defensive UFAs go this offseason, lets young guns play and develop.
Well having young guys on your blueline is great, you need a good mixture. With the inconsistent goaltending the Stars are known for, that team needs stability from the backend. Not to mention some of the players careers are coming to the end and trading for unproven kids may make those players wonder where they are in regards to the organizations future.

- BANNING - 06-23-2016

It's a fair assessment. You have to know Sam isn't going to be available, especially if 8th is too high, but I feel like people are ignoring how in demand Fowler would probably be. I'd think Winnipeg would 100% give up 22 + a non essential prospect or a Lowry/Petan type player or something very easily. Whether it's enough is one thing, but I don't think Anaheim has an option but to move Fowler so it's a best package scenario. I can't imagine that Anaheim would take a Girgensons + 2nd package just so they could have the right and kind honor of dealing with Buffalo, and I think there's a good package of unspectacular but complimenting pieces laying around.

- BANNING - 06-23-2016

Also, I love this 72 hour period, it's like Christmas, a winning lottery ticket and my first blowjob all rolled into one. Every year.

- fgh - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by Reynolds@Jun 23 2016, 05:55 PM

Well having young guys on your blueline is great, you need a good mixture. With the inconsistent goaltending the Stars are known for, that team needs stability from the backend. Not to mention some of the players careers are coming to the end and trading for unproven kids may make those players wonder where they are in regards to the organizations future.

That's why we keep Oduya and maybe Goligoski/Demers, depending on trades and cap space, then the rest fill with young guns.

Klings - Goli/Demers/DefenderX from Trade
Oduya - Johns
Lindell - Nemeth/Oleksiak/Honka

And I think Niemi/Lehtonen between the pipes is decent, but yeah, we need to find a true goalie... Plan on dropping guys like Eaves, Moen, and possibly Hemsky depending on cap?

- Maxy - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by morphinecv@Jun 23 2016, 06:44 PM

Actually, if you could get Girgensens to commit to a deal, with a 2nd, it's not terrible. It's not enough, but he's not awful.

Girgensons is trash. If Murray's idea of helping our offense is trading Cam Fowler for Zemgus Girgensons I'm done... Fowler has outscored Girgensons every year Girgensons has been in the NHL and Fowler's a friggan DMan.

Honestly I'd have a hard time finding a place for Girgensons to even play on Anaheim...

He's not better than Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Rakell, Silf, Cogs, Pirri, McGinn, Stewart, Perron and as much as I hate Garbutt and Thompson I'd much rather what they bring to the team than what Girgensons would bring. Girgensons already had the highlight of his career, his sham of a All-Star nod.

- Maxy - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Jun 23 2016, 06:59 PM

That's why we keep Oduya and maybe Goligoski/Demers, depending on trades and cap space, then the rest fill with young guns.

Oduya - Johns

And I think Niemi/Lehtonen between the pipes is decent, but yeah, we need to find a true goalie... Plan on dropping guys like Eaves, Moen, and possibly Hemsky depending on cap?
You are aware that Goligoski has been traded right... and Demers wants 5.5m and won't be re-signing.

- Maxy - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by morphinecv@Jun 23 2016, 06:56 PM
It's a fair assessment. You have to know Sam isn't going to be available, especially if 8th is too high, but I feel like people are ignoring how in demand Fowler would probably be. I'd think Winnipeg would 100% give up 22 + a non essential prospect or a Lowry/Petan type player or something very easily. Whether it's enough is one thing, but I don't think Anaheim has an option but to move Fowler so it's a best package scenario. I can't imagine that Anaheim would take a Girgensons + 2nd package just so they could have the right and kind honor of dealing with Buffalo, and I think there's a good package of unspectacular but complimenting pieces laying around.
I'm fucking shocked that Anaheim talking to Detroit isn't happening... Fowler's a Michigan kid, he'd LOVE to suit up for Detroit. Detroit has several wingers reportedly available that are 1000x better than any forward Buffalo would trade. Give me Tatar for Fowler straight up.

- Reynolds - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by mpc@Jun 23 2016, 03:59 PM

Oduya - Johns

I don't know about decent anymore. I've heard the argument that you don't need a franchise calibre goalie to win a cup, but at the same time you do still need your goalie to make a big save. Niemi was actually a good example of that when he won, but he is aging. When your nickname is "Lehton-em-in", it doesn't bode well when he can never get his act together. The Stars are best shedding both and acquiring Bishop or some other goalie.

- fgh - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by Jon Snow@Jun 23 2016, 06:00 PM

You are aware that Goligoski has been traded right... and Demers wants 5.5m and won't be re-signing.

I keep forgetting the Goli deal... :facepalm:

And yeah, it's gonna cost us our ass to keep Demers, not sure if we'll be able to do it.

- WannabeFinn - 06-23-2016

didn't Nill already say Demers and Russell are headed to free agency? and he's opting to go with the young guys?

- fgh - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by Reynolds@Jun 23 2016, 06:02 PM

I don't know about decent anymore. I've heard the argument that you don't need a franchise calibre goalie to win a cup, but at the same time you do still need your goalie to make a big save. Niemi was actually a good example of that when he won, but he is aging. When your nickname is "Lehton-em-in", it doesn't bode well when he can never get his act together. The Stars are best shedding both and acquiring Bishop or some other goalie.

I'd agree with that, Niemi>Lehtonen definitely. I would argue the Stars have a long-term plan in place for when those contracts expire to find a good upcoming UFA or RFA to sign long-term.

- BANNING - 06-23-2016

The two players you hate are some of the only ones with contracts though. Where are you finding Perron, Stewart and McGinn money, while also getting Rakell and Pirri under? And Lindholm?

I said it wasn't enough, but if you have to move him, you take the best package. I'd be very surprised if that was the top, and I wouldn't like it, but if not taking it means that you take a worse package, then.. I mean. It's worse, is what I'm saying.

And yeah. Fowler to DET not being talked about also shocks me, because beyond your points, when was the last time a defenseman was available and Detroit WASN'T in the talks?

- fgh - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Jun 23 2016, 06:05 PM
didn't Nill already say Demers and Russell are headed to free agency? and he's opting to go with the young guys?

Maybe, not sure... Wouldn't surprise me, but makes me mad that Russell was acquired for such a hefty cost, really liked Jokipakka...

- WannabeFinn - 06-23-2016

Bobby Mac saying Minny is shopping their young D (Brodin, Dumba, Folin, Scandella/Spurgeon?)

- Maxy - 06-23-2016

Quote:Originally posted by morphinecv@Jun 23 2016, 07:06 PM
The two players you hate are some of the only ones with contracts though. Where are you finding Perron, Stewart and McGinn money, while also getting Rakell and Pirri under? And Lindholm?

I said it wasn't enough, but if you have to move him, you take the best package. I'd be very surprised if that was the top, and I wouldn't like it, but if not taking it means that you take a worse package, then.. I mean. It's worse, is what I'm saying.
Perron should be due a pay cut. Stewart didn't earn more than what he got last year (2.0M) McGinn is likely gone but if the option is to re-sign Girgensons or re-sign McGinn give me the 20 goal scorer all day every day. Ducks have plenty of cap space, if they can move Stoner and once Thompson goes on LTIR they'll have about 20m in cap space.

5-6 for Lindholm, 3m for Rakell, Pirri should be cheap probably 1.5-2 that leaves about 10m to sign forwards

We also don't have to move him. He's locked up to a reasonable cap hit, and could honestly even be protected at next season's expansion draft if they could get Bieksa to waive his NMC (Because let's be real, nobody is taking 36yr Old Bieksa at 4.0m when they could have 3.4m 26 yr old Despres Tongue)