Simulation Hockey League
S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun (/showthread.php?tid=125742)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - Crunk - 08-14-2022

Player:
Viktor Krunk has one equipment modification he always makes. He uses red tape to tape the blade of his stick, then uses a small stencil and a can of yellow spray paint to mark onto that tape the hammer, sickle, and small five-pointed star of the flag of the Soviet Union.

The flag of a country that dissolved long before he was born reminds him of three things:

1) His home and his family, who are still living in the town in south Siberia where he grew up. He misses then, but he would never go back.
2) How lucky he is to be able to earn more money than he ever dreamed of by playing hockey - though he still doesn't understand why he has to pay double his salary to get equipment. Surely the team should cover that? Plus, a set of equipment should never cost 8 million dollars. He is sure he got his for a few hundred when he was a child.
3) How much better the world will be when communism finally returns.

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - golden_apricot - 08-14-2022

pass

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - Ace - 08-14-2022

Creative Prompt – Written Task – 162 words
The Winnipeg Aurora decides that in the last twenty minutes of the practice, they’re going to do a strip shootout! Yeah, that very same thing that the NHL’s Tampa Bay Lightning got in trouble for a decade or so ago. The rules of the strip shootout are simple – if you score, you keep all your gear on! If the goalie stops your scoring attempt, you have to choose a piece of equipment to remove. It was pretty simple at first when Montagne made a save, players were removing their gloves, their jerseys, and their socks over their shin pads. It was once those easy things were removed that it really started to get interesting. Spack Jarrow elected to remove one skate and had to push off with one skate, barefoot with the other, which really restricted his mobility on the ice. Marcel Beck was shirtless and only wearing his cup by the end of the contest when he was pronounced the winner.

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - Thunfish - 08-14-2022

"Well, not during the regular season, but during playoffs, I wear a collar with a couple of good luck amulets. It was a bit tough to tie them all together, but I got a rabbit's foot, a plastic four-leaf clover, a Maneki-Neko keychain, a cornicello and a little swallow keychain as well. I think it did help me a bit during our IIHF run last time around but at the end of the day, everyone has to wear it for it to work, you know? And good luck convincing folks to wear it as well. I mean, I know that you are supposed to practice and get like really good but sometimes you gotta have some back-up help, you know what I mean. It's not like it ain't legal, you know, it really shouldn't be a big deal and all that jazz... but people just ain't fond of something weighting you down, I guess."

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - Mr. Finland - 08-14-2022

Player prompt

I like to have a reminder that it's just a game and to have fun with it. I don't take things too seriously and I want to enjoy myself. I also want to enjoy the experience of being a professional hockey player. I want to remember that I'm lucky to be able to play the game I love and to make a living doing it. I wear a bracelet that says "Live, Laugh, Love" to remind myself of that. I also have a tattoo of a hockey stick and puck with the words "Game On" to remind me to enjoy the game and have fun with it. I also have a few motivational texts written on my gear, such as "Believe in yourself" and " never give up." These remind me to stay positive and to never give up on my dreams. I also have few pets sticker attached to my underwear remind me for their support.

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - G2019 - 08-14-2022

When the coaching staff leaves the ice, naturally shenanigans ensue. McHits likes to lead the team in a drill used during his old soccer playing days, and it's a doozy. It's called "Asses Up", and involves players working on one-on-one situations with a goalie. If they score, all is well. But if they miss...they have to stand in the net, pads off, bend over, and let a teammate fire a shot at them. Physical punishment isn't always the answer, but when put in a one on one situation, having a flashback or subconscious thought that you will get drilled in the buttcheek if you miss will likely help. As the team plays, there are a few players who consistently find themselves in the net. Jonathan Hagan, the Pats DMan who loves to chuck shots in games, is certainly one of them, and has the scars to prove it. Kriss Darzins is another, although he has the swag to actually score in games. All in all, it's a frightening yet hilarious experience that helps the team bond.

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - TheGreatToeJam - 08-14-2022

Another bag skate. Fuck. Red line, blue line, red line, blue line... We all had higher expectations for the season but things got away from the Timber this year. Eighth overall is good enough for a playoff berth but a division title wasn't exactly a lofty goal for Maine. The team can't help but feel the sharp tinge of disappointment as the season winds down and they set their sights on the post season - what is in the past will remain there. 

After the bag skate coach gathered everyone around and said it was time for some fun. Out came the beach balls for some soccer-hockey, it was a blast...

Until Iceland's national team decided to break up our practice. Their coach, "The Dentist Stansson" even challenged ours to a game of one-on-one that ended when he slashed our coach's knee with the heel of his stick. 

I don't know if Gordon Bom... I mean, coach, will ever make the big leagues now.

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - mastersheep - 08-14-2022

You have heard of monkey in the middle. Well sometimes the Aurora play the hockey equivalent. The team splits off into groups of 3 and two of the players along the walls will pass to each other while the man in the middle tries to intercept. If he does intercept the puck, he “wins” and trades places with whoever’s pass he picked off, becoming a passer himself. It’s a pretty fun game that develops checking and passing skills which are very useful for successful teams. One time the coach made the “mistake” of placing Kaapo Kampainen and Gudmundur Kristjansson with the rookie Lias Ekholm-Gunnarson putting the youngest player the checker between two of the best passers in the league. It took poor Ekholm-Gunnarson ages to finally stop their ridiculous passes. The coach then decided to start having a bit more fun with it, putting more and more players in between the two until there were four players awkwardly swinging their sticks around trying to bat pucks out of mid-air. It was a lot of laughs and made for some great team bonding.

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - McAl95 - 08-14-2022

Player Prompt

For Buck there's a few images or phrases that he has drawn on his stick and some articles of clothing the Buck wears during games. The article of clothing in question is a necklace with the Newfoundland Berserks logo on it to remind himself of the good times he had there and all the connections he made coming into the league. It also serves as a reminder to have fun and just play with everything you've got. On Buck's stick he has the name of his parents written on the end of the stick on the tape towards the end to remind himself of the people that helped encourage him and for all the sacrifices they made for him to get into the SMJHL and the SHL. Buck also has the initals P.E.B on his stick. This is a tribute to the line that Buck was on in Newfoundland with Pope and Emeril where they set records and helped push the Berserkers to a few titles

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - Tesla - 08-14-2022

Creative Prompt

The on-ice games that were most recently introduced to the Chicago Syndicate was a couple of slightly modified versions of hacky sack that also inspired a new game of itself. The first of which involves them just trying to play the game of hockey while using a hacky sack instead of a puck and trying to keep it airborne while passing it between each other. Whether that has actually led to any tangible increase to in game skill or not is to be determined, however the fact it forces the team to work cohesively to keep their opportunities alive is undeniable.

The second variation involves the team being in a ring and having to play the hacky sack normally passing it around the ring. That one has a far more visible immediate impact as doing a few rounds clockwise and then counterclockwise forces each player to get used to balancing on one blade for a moment while doing something tricky with their other foot. Admittedly the greater challenge has proven to be quickly hitting it to the next player without having it get cut by the skate.

Those two in combination inspired a stickhandling game of trying to pass the puck in rotation across one line for as long as possible while preventing another line from successfully stealing it. Designed to force players to pay attention to passing lanes to prevent theft in that moment and to improve their maneuverability to avoid letting the puck be stolen directly from them. That said having a competition with a decisive number to target for each of the lines has led to it being a fun competition between the team.

Code:
Word Count: 277

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - koty_k - 08-14-2022

PBE Affiliate

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - Froste39 - 08-14-2022

Since the coach allowed us to do whatever the heel we want with some free time at the end of practice, we decided it would be funny as heck to play soccer on the rink. It was actually kind of funny to see a ball being kicked insteread of a puck sliding around the ice. Too bad we noticed pretty soon that soccer with hockey equipqment does not work. AT ALL. The first guy to get tackled by a skate blade sure as hell won't forget. So we decided to just put on normal shoes and get on with it. Yeah...sneakers on thin ice went as well as you could have expected. Lots of players sliding onto their backs when attempting to take a kick. Thank god for the protective equipment or we could have all called in sick tomorrow.
Last nail in the coffing was that you could never put the ball into the goal, because those things were just too small for a ball passing a goalie. In the end it was not as fun as we hoped, but good on the staff to let us enjoy ourselves!

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - The Roope Hintz Effect - 08-14-2022

[player prompt-written task]
Rylie Versi draws a pair of glasses on each of his gloves. This is a way to remind himself to always have fun but its also a way to remember his grandfather, who for better or for worse, ended up being the father figure Versi looked up to. He taught him to always take time to just enjoy life and enjoy the things you love. Rylie's grandfather was a huge nerd and had the glasses to prove it too. While Rylie didn't inherit the bad eyesight he did end up being quite the geek himself. The glasses on the gloves are a constant reminder to Rylie that he should always have fun while playing hockey. The world of professional hockey can be rough and throw the worst at some players. But not everyone gets a chance to play at this level, Rylie understands how fortunate he is to be in the position he is now, and it would be a shame to not enjoy the ride.

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - Katth - 08-14-2022

What I do to remind myself what it is to be a hockey player I often visit my college team where it all started for me. I was good at hockey, but I didn’t want to pursue a career in it, but that all changed in college when I had the right kind of coaching and advisors. They helped me get on track, get my grades and simply give my life structure and purpose. So every time I’m on the verge of forgetting what it’s like, I go back and try and help these kids like others did for me. And I think they appreciate that just like I did when I got advice. Besides I never got advice from a professional hockey player. Also going to back to college is a great refresher that i have to keep working at it and hard to stay on the level that I’m at right now.

RE: S66 PT #4: Just Wanna Have Fun - blix900 - 08-14-2022

PT Pass