Simulation Hockey League
S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=561)
+---- Thread: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward (/showthread.php?tid=100455)

Pages: 1 2

S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - ej27 - 10-06-2019

As a rookie in the SMJHL, you're taking the same first steps today's SHL greats took all those seasons ago. Tell us about the player(s) you look up to and are aiming to emulate.

Requirements

Written option: Must include 150 words and some reference to build attributes and/or stats of both yourself and at least one player currently in the SHL.
Graphic option: Must include two renders and at least three different build attributes and/or stats of both yourself and at least one player currently in the SHL.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.)

Only S50 SMJHL Rookies (S51 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread.

Deadline Sunday 10/13 @ 10PM EST

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - bluesfan55 - 10-07-2019

As a Dutch player, I'd like to say that I emulated my fellow countryman Gordie Boomhover (@gordieboom), who is revered in the Netherlands (ice hockey wise) for his exploits, but I wasn't watching him as a kid, and I don't think he's proven enough yet. So, I'd say a player I emulated was Joseph Lombardi. Yes, I know that may be a bit outside the box, but hear me out (interjection, bloos is only writing about himself because he's a lazy son of a bitch). Lombardi may have only been 5'3", 145 pounds, but he's still playing well in the SHL today in his last season despite being down to 969 TPE. I loved seeing him score from pretty much almost every angle when I turned on a Toronto game 4 seasons ago. The dude led a team with Mikhail Lokitonov on it in scoring, which is kind of impressive. I really admired his great shot and his skating ability, not to mention his brute strength for being so short. I try to base my skating off of his. He was just a very underrated top 6 forward who was good for 40 points a season at his peak, and deserves more recognition for the impact he had on some kids like myself.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - KC15 - 10-07-2019

PBE Affiliation +4 TPE

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - Zoone16 - 10-08-2019

Luca Del Vecchio did not have the luck that all the kids from hockey market countries had. There were no real idols he could imitate and look up to. It was per chance, that an expat working at the Canadian embassy saw Luca play on his son’s team and gave him a few tapes showcasing some of the best SHL goalies throughout the S30s. Looking at the gameplay footage, Luca fell in love with Hunter Wong’s playstyle. A style focused on Rebound Control, Style Control and Hand Speed to shut down the opposing offenses. It is a heavy shutdown style of play that frustrates offenses focusing on barraging the goaltender in the hopes that a rebound will bury it in. Perfect for a goaltender coming from a small non-hockey nation.

Looking at those tapes ceremoniously, studying every second of the videos. Wong’s movements with and without the puck. By the time he was 15, Luca had the entire video memorized and was replicating the playstyle as best he could there in Italy. A couple years later, he was at the SMJHL draft, being selected by the Kelowna Knights and starting to make his way through the same path his idol from 20 seasons ago took.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - NJBadApple - 10-08-2019

Having been raised in Canada, there are an infinite number of offensive defenders that can be emulated and ultimately translated into success at the SHL level. Vessot looks to follow in the footsteps of players such as Cassius Darrow; the top defenseman for the Buffalo Stampede. Recently breaking out as a top-pairing elite skater, Darrow plays a similar style to what Vessot has shown in his short time in the minors. Easy to join the rush and generate scoring opportunities, but just as likely to fall back on defense and block shots. Another player he's looking to follow is current Renegades defender The Dude. Dude is a strong, stay at home defender with great offensive capability. Both players showcase a tremendous talent to get in front of the passing lanes as well as becoming shot blocking machines. Furthermore, they both tend to steer clear of the penalty box due to their checking-less playstyle.

Words: 153

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - SlothFaceThrilla - 10-08-2019

Goodmorning hope you are well,
I don't know much about previous seasons (especially since some of the index's aren't accessible anymore as I tried to look back ) However from what my boyfriend has told me and from joining the discords I have picked up a little bit of information from past seasons and on other players from over hearing.  But a player I look up to is Cedric Robinson @grok . He was Detroits goalie in season 42, and I have been told that he had all-star numbers when he played, especially in his third season going 29-9-6 in a 44 game year. My GM tig @notorioustig  has told me all about it, and I hope to be able to perform as well as him, or close in my time in Detroit. As for a player in the SMJHL, Elizabeth Doyle @Evok , a fellow female goalie, and I have bonded over sloths, and so I hope she does well too and we can grow together.
Thank you for the time and opportunity

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - iOBESE - 10-09-2019

It would be much easier to talk about someone from the continental hockey league as that is the world from which Danila comes from, but in last couple of years before his draft he started to pay attention to the SHL players as well to see how different the skill level is and to familiarise himself with the league and teams in general. Due to being so young and not being able to follow the league for that long it is hard to pick someone from older days who still might be playing, but he remembers that when he started to follow the league his main attention was on the rookies. He was interested to see how rookies fit into the league as it is. Not surprising that his main attention was on the defenseman and particularly his eyes were set on a young talent from season 46 - Karlstraße Scholz. Interesting enough he was also playing for Kelowna his first two rookie years. Although Danila's style is totally different from Karlstraße Scholz style, he loved to see how this player represented himself and his work ethic. Danila is a naturally on defense focused player while Karlstraße Scholz is someone who looks at things as - the best defense is an attack. So he has put his focus on trying to beat Karlstraße in the defensive aspects of the game in his rookie year. Karlstraße in his rookie year did 50 body hits and blocked 53 pucks in 50 games. Danila so far has, in the first 14 games, has done 5 hits and blocked 15 shots. If it continues like this then he wont reach the goal, but it just motivates him to do better.

@karlssens

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - Evok - 10-09-2019

Elizabeth Doyle grew up watching the tandem of Beaujeaux Biscuit and Julian O’Sullivan dominate the IIHF along with the Ireland team to a record of 5 gold medals in a row and multiple other less important medals. It’s hard after that to not idolize those two players, as an aspiring netminder from the same country. Both goalies had a fairly different style of play, as Biscuit was a Butterfly goalie and O’Sullivan was a Hybrid one. If Doyle was to compare herself to them, she would be most like O’Sullivan with her strength and weakness. Her two idols both focused on similar strengths, which might have been the key to their success, with the Hand Speed and their Style Control. The main difference between the two came from the fact that Biscuit was better to control his rebounds and O’Sullivan seems to react a bit quicker to shot. To be honest though, at this level, it’s hard to say if there’s really a difference. Both had similar weakness with their skating, but who needs a goalie that can skate well. As long as they can flop on the ice to block a shot, that’s all needed.

@JuOSu @.bojo

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - soulja - 10-09-2019

Zlatan Ibrahimovic Jr has just begun his rookie year and is doing fairly well in the Struggling Vancouver Whalers team. The team has just lost many of its assets to the SHL, where the players got called up to play. Thus, right now the team isn't doing too well. However, this has not stopped Zlatan from continuing to play and always looking to improve in areas that may help his team. Zlatan is a two-way defenseman with a similar build to the NHL defensive start Rasmus Dahlin. Zlatan uses his great puck moving ability to get passed his opponents and look for ways to set up plays for his offensive teammates. At the defensive spectrum, he also becomes a raging bull to prevent any shots heading towards his goalkeeper. If there is an SHL player today that Zlatan is trying to emulate, it will be none other than Tigole Bitties. The agents former player, Boyka Jr was in the same draft as Bitties and always admired his hard work and ethics. Tigole was a step above the rest of his fellow draftees in the sense that he was more hungry than anyone else. This is something that Zlatan now admires and is trying to do the same. Two of Bitties strengths' are passing and defense, which is exactly the same as with Zlatan Jr. Like Zlatan Jr, Tigole bitties is also a two-way defenseman. The only major difference between the two is that Bitties shied away from checking his opponents as that was his weakness. On the other end, Zlatan's weakness is scoring. Zlatan's mentality here is that why score to get points when you can just be a master playmaker and make critical passes to his teammates. Zlatan Jr's goal one day in the SHL is to win the Scott Stevens tropy like Tigole Bitties in season 47. In 14 games, Zlatan has 5 points, 13 hits, and 20 blocked shots. Only person that has more blocked shots than Zlatan in the whalers, is the veteran Bjorn Leppanen. Zlatan Jr. is still not capped and thus continuously striving to improve his game. His priority in the SMJHL right now is to hit 80 defense as the rest of the major stats are hovering around 70.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - traphag - 10-10-2019

PBE +4 TPE

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - HyperboleJoe - 10-10-2019

One of the primary reasons I came over from Sweden isn't just because I knew I would face better competition in the SMJHL to help me get to the SHL, but because my former playmaking country person Hippo Passamus blazed the trail and showed me that Canada is not as bad as they make it seem on TV. Is it hard to find a meatball here? Yeah, it is. Is it difficult to mingle with kvinnor without sharing the same understanding that Swedish women are beautiful, sensual creatures looking to leap upon the loins of hockey players at every available moment including on public transportation? Yes, it is. Canadians are a little more chilly than Swedes in that regard. Not as much dalliancing under the moonlight that we do back home, but what can you do.

Anyway, I followed Hippo's career from home with bated breath. Watching every dangle and rocket blue line pass to catch a streaking right wing or left wing for a breakaway chance. Every play from behind the net, every expertly crafted cycle, it's all been incredible to witness. That is who I look up to as a player and person and hopefully I have a chance to meet Hippo once I'm taken in the SHL draft.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - ssingh26 - 10-11-2019

As a young guy coming over from Sweden I looked up to a lot of Swedish professional players who are now playing in the Swedish Hockey League. However, one Canadian player that I really kept my eye on while playing in North America is @notorioustig

I'm a huge fan of the way he moves the puck, skates out of trouble, and pulls off some ridiculous dangles to make plays out of nothing. I try to emulate my skating and puck movement after Tig Murphy. I love how he's able to use deception, skating, and hockey IQ to get himself out of tough situations and make plays out of thin air. You think he's going to do one thing, but then does something else that nobody expects. His ability to generate time and space for his mates, and create high-danger scoring chances scream top power-play deployment.

My goal is to not only be relied upon as a top powerplay quarterback but also be relied upon in key situations during 5 on 5 play. I think Tig Murphy has done an outstanding job becoming a contributor in all facets of the game and I hope to have a similar impact that he has had so far in the SHL. I believe my skating and my shooting is close to elite, but I also know I have a ways to go before I can be a difference-maker at the SHL level. But for now, it all begins in the SMJHL.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - Zeddez - 10-11-2019

PBE Affiliate +4 TPE

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - FreakinAnime - 10-11-2019

I haven't talked to that many people but I talked to Alex Winters who said he plays for Manhattan. Looking him up maybe I can be like him in some ways. He has passing at 99 so he is a playmaker too, and also 99 defense. He focuses on the same things as me, those are my two highest attributes and two of my strengths. Being a good playmaker and a penalty kill person means having those two things, and his other maxed thing is puck handling. People keep telling me to use that so maybe I will get that up higher soon. That is something I could have at a high level one day when I am in the SHL, but my third strength is skating so I might just swap out the puck handling for the skating. That would be the only thing I would be different in when I am a pro.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 2 - Looking Forward - LairdButler - 10-11-2019

So, I got asked the other day who I really wanted to play like once I finally got drafted into the SHL. It was pretty much a no brainer, Cameron Carter II. How could I not want to play like this guy? Have you seen the way he Skates? His Puck Handling skills? Or how about the force with which he Checks guys into the boards? This guy is destined to be another Hockey God. If I’m lucky I’ll be half as good as him. But like my Grandfather and Great Uncles told me as kid learning to play, “If you work hard and give it your all, you’ll be the better than the best.”  So, it's with these words and the inspiration of Cameron Cater II, that I hit the ice every day and strive to get better and better. One day, I will stand proudly and claim my spot as a Hockey God and in doing so uphold the long and proud Hanson family legacy. 

Word Count: 168