Simulation Hockey League
S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=561)
+---- Thread: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation (/showthread.php?tid=100867)

Pages: 1 2

S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - ej27 - 11-03-2019

As the regular season comes to an end, it's time to look back upon what you've accomplished over those long 50 games.

Written Option: Write at least 150 words reflecting on the season so far. How did your player contribute this season? How did they do compared to how you hoped? How did they do compared to the other rookies? In what ways have they improved? What do they still need to work on?

Graphic Option: Make an infographic highlighting your player's season. Must include at least 4 stats from the sim.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.)

Only S50 SMJHL Rookies (S51 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread.

Deadline Sunday 10/10 @ 10pm CST

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - bluesfan55 - 11-04-2019

I had a rookie season that was better than I ever imagined it would be. As a rookie taken in the second round, I thought that I wouldn’t get a lot of time. First round picks are normally the priority, with the rest of the picks getting less time as the rounds go on. I was placed in the third line with Jay Reeves and fellow rookie Stan Hanson, and just put my head down and worked. I was really happy with the fact that I scored 28 points as a third line center (even though I did have some power play time, and started off hot on the power play) because it showed that my offensive upside was there, ready for SHL scouts to see and observe. I do feel that my defensive game was lacking, as I finished as a minus (-1) on the season, but I continuously worked on my defense throughout the year. Another thing I felt great about was my discipline. I want to stay on the ice as much as I can, so to finish with 12 penalty minutes over 50 games is pretty impressive to me. I had a great rookie season, and can’t wait to build on it for next season.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - Mook - 11-04-2019

This season was pretty much how I expected it would go for Creller. The ice time was about what I expected, around 15 minutes a game and the stat line was fairly predictable for the build that I used for my rookie season. Two stats stood out to me once the season finished, for having a fairly high defense Creller still ended up with a -15 on the season, much lower than I had hoped. While this is only a snapshot of his play, it was still a disappointing number to see, lots of unnecessary goals made it through his line. The area he did better than I expected in was hitting, leading the Falcons with 76 hits with only a 52 in his checking stat. I expect him to be a league leader next year as this stat will be higher. The plans are for Creller to be a much more multi dimensional player next season with over 100TPE going to be pumped into his build. I expect him to put up ~30 points with 120+ hits and a positive +/- at the end of S51. Depending on call-ups, there may be a slot for him on the first line with Kekkonen who could use some power on his line and a player who puts passing first

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - soulja - 11-04-2019

My rookie season has been pretty decent overall. I was picked 6th OA by the Vancouver Whalers and i started the majority of the season on the second defensive pairing. I did pretty well for someone that was paired with a minimum tpe player (155 tpe). As I kept working hard and started playing better on ice, i got promoted to the first defensive pairing later throughout my rookie year. I was now paired with a veteran, Mikas Bieksa and that is where my game took off. I finished the regular season with 26 pts, which is the highest among the defenders in the whalers. I also had 75 hits (2nd highest in the team) and 57 blocked shots to complement the rest of my stats. I did better than i though i would for a rookie defender but when compared to other draftees, I fall short. For example, Alex Petrenko, takes the cake here with 33 points. For Someone who was drafted later, he proved everyone wrong that the right build can sometimes beat a higher tpe player. He also lead the rookies in points which is impressive to do as a defender. When compared to him, I only fall short in points. When it comes to pure defensive categories, I believe Zlatan is the clear winner. Things I need to work on for next year is basically on my offensive game. I need to improve my skating and passing abilities. Puck handling and and defense are already pretty good.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - KC15 - 11-04-2019

NSFL Affiliate PT

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - dankoa - 11-04-2019

It’s fair to say that Kaarlo Kekkonen’s rookie season wasn’t really up to the standard that he’d hoped it would be. Coming into the Detroit Falcons team as a first round pick, there is a certain level of expectation that you’ll deliver when it comes to producing. Tipped as a goalscorer of note before the draft, it was expected that Kaarlo might be able to come in and immediately elevate the Falcons’ scoring abilities, however, this proved unfortunately to not be the case. His production wasn’t awful, but at the same time, it didn’t set the league slight even in comparison to his fellow rookies and as such, there is a lot of room for improvement for next season. The Detroit Falcons are going through a little bit of a difficult time at the minute, staring down the barrel of a potential rebuild, and it’s possible that Kaarlo will be needed to be one of their main players next season as the squad lightens out. If this proves to be the case, it’s fair to say the ability shown in his rookie season will not be enough, and he’s going to have to dig deep to up his production levels, score the goals his teammates need and help elevate the team as he couldn’t do this season.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - iOBESE - 11-05-2019

The first season in the largest and most serious out of the all junior ice hockey leagues for Danila "Dan" Zhernov did not go as expected. Coming from the Russian league where he was one of the best defensive players of the league, then here he was pretty much average. It might be the difference in the ice rink size, the speed of the game or just the pure talent around him, but non the less Danila will not take this season as defeated of any kind and instead pick it up like reality check he needed. While he was happy in his defensive play, he did not feel like that matter because he was mainly paired with the 3rd line of the enemy team and when it came to higher lines he could feel the struggle and difference in the skill. The use of him to the team could have been better as well. At first it was good, but as the season went on and the fatigue started to kick in, Dan started to struggle in giving his all hundred, that lead to end the season with +/- coefficient of -4. He also felt he could have given more successful passes. All in all Danila wanted to be better and he definitely underestimated his capabilities and this league, but he wont make the same mistake twice and will work hard in this offseason to come back as a different player.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - Zoone16 - 11-06-2019

Over the course of the season, Luca Del Vecchio has grown tremendously. Joining a team with little defensive depth (2 defensemen were rookies, 2 were inactives and 2 were capped dmen), the task was big one for any goaltender, rookie or veteran alike. This meant being on top of your game a lot more than other goaltenders in the league. In fact, Del Vecchio faced the 2nd most shots in the league with 1054 in his 44 games played as a starter. With 2 shutouts and 20 wins to his name, one can consider his start a huge success, even if the team would finish 9th in the regular season and falter in the first round of the playoffs to the Scarecrows who were also riding a rookie goaltender in Elizabeth Doyle.

There are still plenty of aspects that Luca Del Vecchio can improve upon in the coming weeks prior to the SHL draft. He must improve his skating and agility, as well as continue to make himself bigger in net.

We fully expect him to be a hotly contested draft pick and be the first goalie to be drafted in the top 10 in a good while.

(198 words)

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - FreakinAnime - 11-06-2019

My player did not contribute the way I wanted him to this year which made me a bit sad. The points total was very small and much less than I thought. Like I knew I wouldn't be a Mario Lemieux but wow it was not a good rookie year for stats. Other rookies were getting like 20, 30 points, way more and it didn't make me feel too good about myself. Anyhow I've improved even more on defense even though I was already good at that at the start of the year. My passing has gotten better, I've gotten faceoffs and strength up. Just really gotten better in a lot of stuff. But I guess there still is work to be done on skating you can always be faster and that is probably something to look into next. Also just get better at scoring to get more points because being a playmaker is great but I want lots of points.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - traphag - 11-07-2019

To say that Alex Petrenko exceeded my expectations for his rookie season is definitely an understatement. I'll be honest, I came into the SHL as someone who knows very little about hockey so I had no confidence that I'd be able to build a player worth anything. I just wanted to make a guy who played good defense and could help his teammates by passing the puck around. With his timely passes, Alex ended up leading all rookies in assists and total points and was able to make significant contributions on the defensive end. He easily broke the Outlaws' rookie record for assists, is in the conversation for SMJHL rookie of the year, and I don't know that I could be happier with his performance in the regular season. He was a bit quiet in the playoffs and that probably contributed to the team's loss in the first round, but he still did a lot of great things as a rookie and it makes me very optimistic about his career to come. In the offseason and beyond, my first priority is to make him an even better defender and a better contributor all around. Thanks to everyone on the Outlaws who helped guide me through my first SHL season and gave me wonderful advice to make Alex the best he can be. Let's keep it going in year two!

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - LairdButler - 11-08-2019

[Image: meta-chart.jpeg]

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - mxman991 - 11-09-2019

Al Kayhall had an up and down season. Finishing negative 21 in the regular season for plus minus, he still managed to find favor in the eyes of head coach Ed Balls, who moved him from the fourth line to the third in the final ten games of the season. If the first portion of the season was rough, the move to the third line was like finding smooth water. Al netted a player of the game and several goals in the final ten games of the season. In playoffs he went on to be one of the top scoring players in juniors for the first series, netting 3 goals in 4 games and 2 assists. Is al where he wants to be? No he has a long way to go yet, but his season has shown that he is on the right path and is putting in the work.

(150 words)

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - CptSquall - 11-09-2019

This rookie season left me full of all kinds of emotions. 27 points for what was largely a third line showing for Ruslan Zaporozhets isn't too bad, especially on a team that finished in the bottom 3 of the league. The -14 was sad and made me feel like he couldn't be called upon to win big games without high risk. The physical side was modest, though I was happy he wasn't getting bodied as much as other star power focused players do. 15 goals is really a nice strong starting point, but I hope the continue to go upward as I grasp more TPE. All in all it went well on paper but, and I suppose its due to the poor finish, I feel like it wasn't that good for Zapo the Cossack. I only hope I can continue to build on him successfully and bring about one of the next Hall of Fame stars to the SHL.

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - MP7 - 11-09-2019

It's pretty clear that the numbers Alexander Wachter produced aren't very high. Top rookies in his class did produce much more than him. But if you start comparing the ice time they got and he had in Carolina. It shows that he can keep up with them. Personally he hoped to put up some more goals and play a little bit more but Alexander is nobody that give something about his personal stats he is a team first player. That is a reason why he is fighting for the four stars cup with his teammates at the moment and that is all that matters for him. While he was known to be a good goalscorer, the part he improved most is his passing skills. The next thing he is going to work on is his skating ability and his puck handling, he needs to get better their because two top wingers are aging out and he is going to play a bigger role in S51.

(165 words)

RE: S50 SMJHL PT 6: Self Evaluation - libertines - 11-09-2019

Vassallo’s rookie season has come to and end, the goalie had a relatively quiet season but was steady in the games he played. Vassallo finished 2-2-2 in 12 GP with a 2.80 GAA (2nd best in the SMJHL). These stats were the best among rookies. Vassallo was quoted as saying that he “would like to see a larger percentage of the games next year” as he feels he needs more of a showcase if he is going to be making a pro team. Vassallo has caught the eye of the Japanese media, and there are many calls for Vassallo to be included on not just the WJC team but the senior team as well. Vassallo is hoping that he did enough to find himself drafted in the first round of the upcoming SHL draft and hopes that he can help bring a cup to the Lethbridge fans. Vassallo is also among the top TPE earners this season.