Simulation Hockey League
Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=545)
+---- Thread: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks (/showthread.php?tid=110599)

Pages: 1 2

Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - Chevy - 09-21-2020

Hello SHL!  This will be the first in a series of articles I intend to write spanning across several seasons here in the SHL.  What prompted this is a discussion I was having with @Muerto in regards to the unofficial idea that to be a decent player entering the SHL, or in the SHL entirely you must be above 1k TPE.  In addition to this, was the idea that (because Muerto has done it often in the past) trading away 1st round picks is a bad idea.  While we know that the 1st round allows you to get the cream of the crop usually, I wondered just how often a 1st round pick was considered a bust.  

So, the baseline for this review, while completely not scientific, is based on the question "Did this player go above 1000 tpe, and if so what was their peak tpe?"  Credit will be given to players regardless of gain for things like individual awards and Challenge Cup Championships.  

So without further adieu, lets begin!

[Image: r2RuP2J.png]

SEASON 40

1.  Stampede select Conor McGregor 1st Overall
Conor McGregor's career spanned from Season 40 through season 48.  Within that span of time, he hit the ice in 401 games and racking up a total of 72 goals and 87 assists for a total of 159 points.  Within that time he also picked up a Challenge Cup win.   Also tallying up a total amount of 864 TPE and no individual awards, the cup win is the real only highlight.
Verdict:  BUST

2.  Dragons select Otis B. Driftwood
Otis is a name that is synonymous with Calgary.  A lifetime (so far) player for the Dragons, Otis has so far racked up an impressive 700 regular season games.  So far in his career he's notched 86 goals, 345 assists for a total of 431 points.  Also of note, is that his mustache is rumored to give him a hitting bonus as he's also tallied over 1800 career hits.  A two-time challenge cup winner, a 1st team All star, a 2nd Team all star, Otis run is anything short of legendary for the Season 40 draft class.  He is also the highest earner on our list having peaked his TPE at 1875 earned.
Verdict: BOOM

3.  Renegades select Iam Essellemm 
Iam Essellemm is a name that I wasn't familiar with before starting this research.  What I have learned though, reflects well upon the spectrum of his career.  Eventually playing for, and winning a cup championship in S51 with the Steelhawks, Iam's career included 600 regular season games played, 185 goals and 227 assists for 412 total points.  Also in addition to the challenge cup, the young Essellemm was nomiated to the S42 All rookie team on behalf of the Renegades.  The rest of the career was mostly average for the winger as he peaked at 1043 tpe.
Verdict: MEH (Not Great, but not bad either)

4.  Stars select Luuk Kraaijkamp
Luuk proceeded to have a very short career in the SHL, all of which was played in Toronto.  He received a Jesster nomination and was named to the Rookie All star team....but that's about it.  150 games played notching 30 goals and 57 assists for 87 points, Kraaijkamp only amassed 690 peak tpe.
Verdict: BUST

5.  pride forfeit selection.

6.  Renegades forfeit selection.

I'm not sure the situation that went into both the Pride and Renegades having to forfeit their selections here, but its all water under the bridge.  What can be said though, is when you have to forfeit a 1st round pick, you can't really pick a potential all-star from that.  Both of these are obvious BUSTS.

7.  Stars select Florence Clijsters
Clijsters, while starting in Toronto was a journeyman throughout the SHL.  Playing for Toronto, Hamilton, Baltimore, Los Angeles, San Francisco and finally Minnesota Florence was never really a shining light on any team.  Playing 650 regular seasons in their carer which allowed for 149 goals and 205 assists (a total of 354 points) not much else can be said for them.  They peaked TPE at just under 1000, topping off at 991 before moving off into obscurity.

8.  Riot select Ensio Kalju
After being selected by the Seattle Riot, while in the juniors they relocated and became the Barracuda, which is where Ensio made his rookie debut in season 43 (if I'm looking at my notes correctly).  After the brief time there, the bulk of play came on the ice for the Edmonton Blizzard, where Kalju was part of the S45 Challenge Cup team.  That cup win plus a 3rd All-Star team nomination were the highlights of the career that ended in S54.  A total of 643 regular season games, which included 96 goals and 275 assists, Kalju definitely made a mark wherever they were placed.  Peaking earnings at 1576 solidifies Ensio's place on this particular list.
Verdict:  BOOM
9.  Dragons select Jack Daniels
This was the first one, though I'm sure it won't be the last, where I actually had some trouble tracking down player information.  Only playing two total seasons in the SHL, one for Calgary the other for New England, Jack's career was uneventfully short.  100 Games played, for 8 goals and 5 assists (13 points)...Mr. Daniels (while being an excellent Bourbon) made for a not so excellent hockey player.  He peaked his TPE earnings at just 563 before sliding into early retirement.
10. Riot select Blaine McElroy
Another low earner that pretty well rode into obscurity in the STHS era, McElroy received no individual accolades or cup wins.  Amassing a peak of 571 TPE in his career, he did manage to top that in games played with 601 regular season games.  Those games included a tally of 67 goals and 180 assists for 247 points total.
11.  Wolfpack select Manuel Gotze
The third highest peak earner of Season 40's first rounders falls to this player at 1568 peak, just a hair back from Kalju.  Gotze, while originally drafted by New England now continues his SHL career in Texas as to date (that I'm aware of) he hasn't decided to hang up the skates...yet.  A 3rd team All-Star, Manuel has played so far 700 career games that include 222 goals and 288 assists and depending on how long he stays in before voluntarily (or forcibly) retires, we'll just have to wait and see.
Verdict: BOOM
12.  Jets select Kire Yelkrab
Kire is another league journeyman who sort of just...blended into the lines wherever needed.  Starting off in Winnipeg, Yelkrab also donned the sweaters of Minnesota, Hamilton and Chicago before hanging it up.  Playing a career total of 400 games, Kire marked 61 goals and 69 assists for 130 points.  He also only received 560 tpe in total before disappearing.  Surprisingly enough though, this is not the least amount earned by someone in the Season 40 first round, though it is the second lowest earner.
13.  Panthers select Mikkel Haugen
Not much can be said about Haugen.  Earning just shy of 1000 tpe at 998, literally one activity check away, Haugen spent five seasons in Los Angeles before wrapping up his career in Chicago.  No personal achievements or cups to add to his name, only 75 goals an 100 assists over 550 games, it would seem that Haugen was destined for third line at best.
14.  Chiefs select Radovan Hudec
As we come to the last of the first round picks in season 40, we arrive at the tale of Radovan Hudec.  A first round selection that seemed so promising, but never once stepped foot on the ice of an SHL arena.  No games played.  No goals scored.  Nothing.  Having earned only 422 TPE, does earn Hudec one personal accolade here though, in this thread.  I hereby decree Radovan Hudec the biggest bust of the Season 40 1st round draft selection.  
Overall, we recognize two or three legendary and almost guaranteed hall of fame names to come out of this first round of selections but whats even more interesting, at least to me, is the fact that (when you include the forfeits), almost 75% of this first round are busts.   As the Macho Man has said:

[Image: tenor.gif]

We'll continue on with this series next time as we look to the 1st round picks of Season 41.

MISC STUFF

Average TPE - 837
Highest Earner: Otis B. Driftwood
Lowest Earner: Radovan Hudec
% Bust 71.43%
Total Cups in this group: 5
Code:
Word Count: 1,400 + custom header grapic & research time

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - DeletedAtUserRequest - 09-21-2020

very nice look back
+1

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - trella - 09-21-2020

do s36

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - caltroit_red_flames - 09-21-2020

Do S39

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - Chevy - 09-21-2020

09-21-2020, 04:54 PMtrella Wrote: do s36

My plan here in the initial series is S40 thru S50.  I will do a 36 though somewhere in the mix for ya Smile

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - The__Y-man__100 - 09-21-2020

Wow, I mean I came back from my break in S46, but I had no idea the S40 draft was this awful Laughing

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - WannabeFinn - 09-21-2020

09-21-2020, 07:08 PMThe__Y-man__100 Wrote: Wow, I mean I came back from my break in S46, but I had no idea the S40 draft was this awful Laughing
it wasn't great

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - DELIRIVM - 09-21-2020

Kraaijkamp was a bust indeed. Gotta do right and max out Nikiforov now.

09-21-2020, 05:06 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Do S39
I’ll add 39 to the list

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - _Blitz_ - 09-21-2020

@Geekusoid Do S52 last.

09-21-2020, 09:49 PMCapt_Blitzkrieg Wrote: @Geekusoid Do S52 last.

Haha, okay.

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - Lime - 09-21-2020

what the FUCK happened in s40

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - CementHands - 09-21-2020

You should do 2 rounds for s50... For science reasons
:eyes:

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - ztevans - 09-21-2020

This would be a very boring article for S31. Booms on booms on booms.

RE: Boom or Bust: A look at 1st Round Picks - caltroit_red_flames - 09-22-2020

09-21-2020, 08:58 PMGeekusoid Wrote:
09-21-2020, 05:06 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: Do S39
I’ll add 39 to the list

:D