Simulation Hockey League
s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline (/showthread.php?tid=110964)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - hotdog - 10-12-2020

Which SHL or SMJHL team should be active this season around the trade deadline and what should they do? Who should be buying and who should be selling - what should they be looking to buy/sell?

25 words minimum

You will receive 1 TPE for fulfilling all requirements; several users who go above and beyond will be selected as participation+ members and receive an additional 1 TPE.
This PT will close Sunday, October 18th at 11:59pm ET.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

This PT is for SHL players and send downs only; it is not for SMJHL Rookies.

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - hockeyiscool - 10-12-2020

With the trade deadline coming up I would be surprised to see more than one or two players be moved. The major constraint for each team is the Salary Cap. Looking at each team we'll see what their capabilities are. 
Starting out I'll be looking at the team with the largest Salary Cap room to all the way down to the teams with the teams that are sitting right at the Salary Cap.

Renegades Texas Renegades  Renegades
A team who has the most cap space available is the Texas Renegades sitting with $3.5million in cap space. Considering their position in the league of 4th in the West and their team make up they could be a team that's looking to buy. But here's why they shouldn't be: This isn't their championship window and they know it. While having an elite left wing in Andreas Kvalheim, Texas clearly has their sights set on when their S50-S54 core is peaking in S59-64 and trading here would force them to scratch one of their young developing defensemen. If Texas is looking for their best chance this season, the only move they should look to trade for a defensemen that is a clear improvement over rookie Joseph Fantobens that fits into their 3.5m budget such as a player like chico smeb. This 1132 TPE defensemen is only a 2m cap hit and would give an increase from Joseph Fantobens sitting at 698 TPE.    

Platoon pride The next two largest cap owning teams are the partners hugging in the basement, Baltimore Platoon and San Francisco Pride. Both sitting with $2.5m in cap space. I don't foresee anyone looking to trade with either team before the deadline. If someone were too look to trade SFP it would be trying to get a bulk amount of their 2nd and 3rd round picks at expense for a future first round.

However If Bap were wise they would look to shop BAP phenom Nat Emerson. Nat Emerson would have been a natural fit in Texas. Texas could have traded James Hagen and either slava petrov or lemophil or fantobens +1 first for Nat Emerson. It would have given Emerson a dignified end of his career perhaps getting a potential cup also acquiring someone like fantobens lines up perfectly with BAPs prospect pool. 

Monarchs Minnesota is sitting with only 1m in cap space and after a disappointing season after acquiring some players (mayfield, sixnine) to try and get their S46 players into the playoff before the end of their career. They should be looking to be turning back around and selling at minimum sixnine.

Inferno Atlanta is a team that should absolutely be looking to buy a forward to replace C.T. Carragher. They are one of the few teams that are looking to acquire a forward. They should be knocking on Minnesota's door and try to get one of the many solid options avaliable.

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - Matteo - 10-12-2020

The Quebec City Citadelles should be buying at the deadline, and to be more specific, they should be buying more pucks for practices because I can't seem to stop anything right now and they all get lost in the back of the net.

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - iamslm22 - 10-12-2020

I mean the best team that should buy is Quebec in the minor leagues. First of all they have a star called Stan Q Next and everyone should want to be on his team because he is the best and they should buy because we clinched the playoffs. Lets win

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - Rotti - 10-12-2020

The most active team should be the San Francisco Pride to sell off any players higher than like 1400 TPE. That way they can get some value and get some good draft picks.

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - 5ympathies - 10-12-2020

all of the teams that are good right now except hamilton (CHI, BUF?, Western teams) should be looking to sell so that Hamilton (the team that I play for) can win the cup

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - charlieconway - 10-12-2020

I think if I was the GM of the Edmonton Blizzard I'd be active here at the deadline. They strike me as a team that's a roster upgrade or two away from a finals appearance. The seas have sort of parted for them this season with the (IMO) underperformance of New Orleans and lack of true contenders in the West.

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - Dextaria - 10-12-2020

SMJHL BUYERS
In the SMJHL for the trade deadline, I think the busiest team has to be the Vancouver Whalers Whalers . The Whalers are going to be losing up to potentially 8 skaters this coming season with Slimey Snail, Ryosuke Sato, Name Redacted, Bryce McMahon, Luffy Richard, new acquisition Rotticus Scott, Daniil Nikiforov, and Devin Basher. Although this is just a tentative list of 8 skaters, the team knows for sure that they will at least lose all 6 of their S54 skaters. This is what led to the recent trade with the Kelowna Knights where the team added Simon Takshak for a number of future picks. Takshak will also be heading up to the SHL next season so the Whalers time to win is certainly now.

Both the Newfoundland Berserkers Berserkers , Carolina Kraken Kraken , and Anchorage Armada  Armada could also be looking to make a splash this trade deadline as they are in a similar situation as the Vancouver Whalers. All 3 of these teams have a number of S54 players that they are going to lose next season so if they want to compete with that group of players, they are going to need to make some additions to the team. The Armada and Berserkers could be on the market for a potential upgrade to their forward core as the Kraken could do either a forward or defensemen if the price is alright.

As for buyers that don't necessarily need to make moves, the Anaheim Outlaws  Outlaws could be looking into adding on player for their playoff run. I don't think the team expected to be in this position at the beginning of the season, especially after trading away a top defenseman in Emilia Bergman; however, if they want 2 solid years of contending for the cup, they can get some additions this offseason without sacrificing their future. The same goes for the Nevada Battleborn Battleborn  that have looked pretty stellar this season. The Battleborn don't have a lot of players missing next season; however, if they want to upgrade their forwards for this cup run, they most certainly can.

The last of the buyers would have to be the Maine Timber Timber . They don't necessarily have to buy as their team is full of S55+ players, but if they wanted another good post-season the team could use some upgrades. Although, they certainly aren't in a desperate need for an upgrade.

SMJHL SELLERS
I think the biggest sellers have to be the Detroit Falcons Falcons . The team is last in the league and they swung and missed on a number of rookies this season. Although the team does not have much to sell. They could try to ship off some inactive players such as Taisto Jutila and Michael Lee just for some late round picks. There isn't too much to do in their situation, but management can do their due diligence and try to pick up more picks for this offseason.

Similarly, the St. Louis Scarecrows  Scarecrows should also look to be selling off some pieces as they also swung and missed on a number of rookies. The main sale that already happened was Elwulf Jericson to the Maine Timber for a 2nd round pick. Honestly not too sure if the Scarecrows could have gotten a little more, but it is evident that they are trying to get as much value as they can for their ageing players to rebuild the team going forward.

Last on the list of the bigger sellers has to be the Kelowna Knights Knights . The Knights are in a rebuild right now and could use more additions for next season. That is why the team might as well sell off their older players to get some return for them.

SMJHL "DO NOTHING"
There are 2 teams that I think can just "do nothing" this trade deadline, the Quebec City Citadelles  Citadelles and the Colorado Raptors Raptors . Although, the Raptors have made a couple of moves this offseason, I think their team is still very much intact after this offseason much like the Citadelles. Both teams look like the have a bit of a down year compared to what they expected so I very much expect the team to be coming back next season strong. Plus, they don't look to need many more players in this coming draft so unless they look to add a roster player for the future, I think it's safe for them to just "do nothing."

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - JamesT - 10-12-2020

Code:
Which SHL or SMJHL team should be active this season around the trade deadline and what should they do? Who should be buying and who should be selling - what should they be looking to buy/sell?

The SHL team that should be active this season come trade deadline would have to be the Buffalo  Stampede with the juggernaut that is the Hamilton  Steelhawks Buffalo will need to look to add a key a top 6 forward or top 4 D to add to their deep roster. Many people are already penciling down Hamilton as the CC favourites so Buffalo will have to bolster their roster to compete with Hamilton. 

(73 words)

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - Gwdjohnson - 10-12-2020

Talking in juniors, I don't really believe in deadline trades because I never really see a rental's impact as big enough to justify cost, but the vancouver whalers could potentially look to make a swing to get a solid winger to replace sub-200 inactive winger Markleesio Hopscotch. Which winger exactly? Idk bruh you think I follow juniors?

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - OrbitingDeath - 10-12-2020

The Los Angeles Panthers should sell. I was told we would suck hard this year and that it would be best to bet LA under. But to my liking we are winning too much and its costing me a parlay again.
So by selling some assets we can get back stronger in seasons where it will matter.

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - dankoa - 10-12-2020

Here are my thoughts on what every team in the SHL should be doing at the trade deadline. It's likely that my views are totally wrong here and the GMs of the teams wouldn't agree, but these are just my thoughts.

Atlanta Inferno - I think Atlanta should stay where they are. They're a new team and although they're doing well this season, they're still a franchise team in their first season and aren't realistically going to win the cup, so staying where they are and not giving up future assets is probably the smart move. STAY

Baltimore Platoon - If I were the Platoon, I'd look at picking up some assets for some of the older players on the roster. Guys like Nat Emerson don't fit their window and could be valuable to teams trying to compete. SELL

Buffalo Stampede - The only weak areas for Buffalo are probably their third pair defensemen and the third forward line, so probably not likely that they make a move. Maybe they could find a defenseman around the 1.3k mark to really beef up their third pairing? Otherwise, I don't think they're needing to make moves. STAY

Chicago Syndicate - The Syndicate have a couple of weaker spots on their third line that they could improve on, particularly winger Kit Smeb with 789 TPE. They should be able to get an upgrade on him from the trade market, and with the level of competition in the league this season, improving in this position could really help. BUY

Hamilton Steelhawks - They're playing very well and the lower TPE players on their roster are doing great so I don't see there being any moves that they need to make at this point of the season. STAY

Manhattan Rage - Again, I don't see there being any spots on their roster that are that bad and would need improving to the extent that a deadline move would make sense. Another team that should stay where they are at the deadline. STAY

New England Wolfpack - The only player on their roster who is active, valuable and might not fit with their competitive window is Dominic Montgomery. With the Wolfpack under .500 at the time of writing, it could make sense to look to get some more value in that will help their team down the line in return for an older player. SELL

Tampa Bay Barracuda - There's no older players on their roster of value and they're way too far from being competitive with one or two trade deadline acquisitions, so they should stick where they are. STAY

Toronto North Stars - Again, don't have the pieces to sell and their division is so stacked they'd need to do more than make a trade or two at the deadline to make playoffs this season. STAY

Calgary Dragons - They could probably do with adding another high quality defenseman, someone around the 1300/1400 TPE mark if they want to be a real competitor against the big teams in the East, so I could see that being a smart strategy for them. BUY

Edmonton Blizzard - Given the fact they're doing quite well this season and they traded a lot of capital away not long ago and could do well to keep hold of the picks they have left, this one makes sense to stay put. STAY

Los Angeles Panthers - LA has a few players on their roster that don't fit their competitive window in my opinion, and although they've helped the team to some good results this season, they aren't a competitor and it could be good to get some value back for them while they're in their prime. SELL

Minnesota Monarchs - They're not making the playoffs whatever they do, and I don't think they're wanting to sell. Definitely should stay where they are at this point. STAY

New Orleans Specters - New Orleans is at a crossroads where they need to either add some talent or sell some talent. Their current roster isn't going to beat out the teams in the east for a cup, and with a lot of players getting older the time could be coming to look to the future. BUY or SELL

San Francisco Pride - Team doesn't really have anything left to sell off at this point, but if teams want anything else they have then they might as well get rid of it. SELL

Seattle Argonauts - Again, expansion team that's not ready to compete just yet so no moves to be made here. STAY

Texas Renegades - No spots on the roster that are taken up by an inactive and not a cup competitor at this point. Stick with the process and give the young players time to grow. STAY

Winnipeg Jets - Jets are probably underperforming given their roster, so maybe an addition could help shake things up and kick start the teams season? A second pairing defenseman would probably be their most likely target. BUY

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - MN_Moosey - 10-12-2020

Los Angeles just needs to sell what they can at this point. They are a shell of their once great selves and just need to commit to a rebuild sooner before they fall into complacency as a "will they, won't they" kind of team.

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - Nictox - 10-12-2020

I have always thought that if you have a bottom dwelling team that you should not buy. Sell your old vets and give them the chance to play somewhere they can win. I am not going to call out any team right now.

RE: s56 mPT #3 - Trade Deadline - TomHanks - 10-12-2020

The San Francisco Pride and the Baltimore Platoon should look at doing what the Tampa Bay Barracuda did a few seasons back and sell their best players for young talent and picks. While it hasn’t been a hugely noticeable change to Tampa, that rebuild plan has set us up for the long run.