Simulation Hockey League
S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub (/showthread.php?tid=111048)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - hotdog - 10-19-2020

Written task: What retired player not in the Hall of Fame deserves to be in the Hall of Fame? Make the case for one of these players: who do you think should be elected in and why? If you'd like to be more confrontational, you can pick a player who is in the HOF and make the case for why they shouldn't be. (150+ words)
Graphic task: Create a HOF plaque for the retired player you think deserves to be in the HOF.
To help in this effort, luke has assembled the following extremely helpful tool: Players by HOF Status. Thanks luke!

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.
Deadline: Sunday, October 25th at 11:59PM ET

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - hockeyiscool - 10-19-2020

in my opinion, one of the players eligible for the hall of fame that has yet to be inducted is the legend, Crossfit Jesus. If there were a Hall of fame for quality of name he would easily make it. However how great a name isn't a factor for the SHL hall of fame, and for Crossfit Jesus the stats don't lie. During his 13 season career, Crossfit Jesus played in 650 games. Across his 650 game career he amassed quite the stat line. He netted 232 goals, had 285 assists, totaling 517 total points. Even though in my opinion the stat is garbage, his +/- was a staggering +152. Crossfit Jesus always played a clean game, only amassing 90 penalty minutes across his entire career. If you compare Crossfit Jesus' points per game, goals per game and assists per game to current resident of the Hall of fame, Riley Raycroft. Crossfit Jesus actually has both a higher point per game and goals per game (.795 and .35 respectively) than Riley Raycroft (.768 and .307 respectively) which leads to a supporting fact of either Crossfit Jesus should be in the hall of fame, or the start of an arguement that Riley Raycroft should not have been in the hall of fame.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Faelax - 10-19-2020

In my opinion, Beaujeaux Biscuit should absolutely be in the hall of fame. With an impressive statistical resume, with 368 win in 679 games, along with a .905 save percentage, he has some great career stats. He also has a nice looking trophy case to go with his stats. Biscuit has quite a few titles to his name. With 3 challenge cups, 5 consecutive IIHF golds, 1 IIHF silver, and 2 IIHF bronze medals, he is a proven playoff performer, who can be counted on in big games to keep the puck out of the net. This is proven by his 2 Anton Razov award wins in S43 and S47, where he put the Platoon on his back in both of those runs. He also has a couple of McBride award nominations, proving that he was in the upper echelon of goalies. I fully expect to see him in the hall of fame in the not to distant future.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Rotti - 10-19-2020

Well lets get it started with the man who's shoes I'm going to have to fill next season, Robert Phelps. Bobby P, DrunkenTeddy, the Steelhawks Goat. This guy is a lock, I'm not going to pretend that I really need to make a case, but lets look at the facts as is. This guy is at a ppg pace in his 19th year, to start things. 949 points in 950 games is absolutely nuts. That is going to come with the prolific Hamilton Steelhawks teams we've seen in the last decade or so, but this guy is still putting up respectable numbers in his 19th season! A +196 +/- rating is also great, seeing as he was on some not so great Steelhawks teams at the beginning of his career. That steelhawk logo is going to look clean as hell on his hall of fame induction banner, and I'm excited to see him off with a hopeful challenge cup in his last season.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - MN_Moosey - 10-19-2020

PBE affiliate

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Dextaria - 10-19-2020

For retired players, I think Richard Physt should be elected into the Hall of Fame. Why? Physt is up for nomination and has 10 seasons and 500 games played under his belt scoring over half a point per game as a defenseman. In addition to this, Physt has some hardware to his name including the S41 Turd Ferguson trophy, the S56 Mathias Chouinard Trophy with the New Orleans Specters, and the S47 andS50 Bojo Biscuit award for the best defensive defenseman. This is not even mentioning the Four Star Cup in S40 and the 3 bronze medals with Team Austria in S43, S45, and S47. With all of this hardware and great numbers, I think what may be holding Physt back from the Hall of Fame is the lack of Challenge Cups and the lower amount of games compared to other Hall of Fame potentials. However, I think that the rest of his career justifies for him to be in the Hall of Fame despite this fact. I would say the quality of his seasons far outweigh these shortcomings.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - 5ympathies - 10-19-2020

The only retired player I know off the top of my head (imagine doing research for PTs lol couldnt be me) is Zoone's player Alex? Light. So naturally, that's the player I believe to be deserving of a Hall of Fame spot. This dude was fucking money for the West Kendall Platoon, now known as the Baltimore Platoon (also did anyone actually know that West Kendall was in Florida??). His peak TPE wasn't actually very high, only about 1500 if my memory serves me right, but he played with so much heart and so much character. The reason I think he belongs in the hall, you may ask? Well, it is literally only because he was the GM of my juniors team, the Kelowna Knights. You might think that because of him becoming SHL Media Graders Head I have a tumultuous relationship with him? And you are correct. His new lineup of graders have snaked me out of quite a few millions of dollars but nevertheless, I still endorse him to become a Hall of Fame player.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - JamesT - 10-19-2020

Code:
Written task: What retired player not in the Hall of Fame deserves to be in the Hall of Fame? Make the case for one of these players: who do you think should be elected in and why? If you'd like to be more confrontational, you can pick a player who is in the HOF and make the case for why they shouldn't be. (150+ words)

A retired player that currently is not a member of the Hall of Fame that should be in there would be "Patrikov Bure" I only joined the SHL in S45 so I do not have much history about the SHL, but after taking a look at the HOF candidates Patrikov Bure's stats caught my eye. He played in 900 games, scored 282 goals, had 359 assists totaling 641 points. He also had a career +/- of 81 which is very impressive. Patrikov also was a physical player producing 1451 hits and taking 1302 hits for himself as well. Patrikov had a very impressive SHL career spanning over 18 seasons, so it is surprising he is not considered for a ballot while looking at some of the other candidates already in the HOF. There are players in the HOF with less point, goals and assist totals than Patrikov so that was surprising for me. This is my case for Patrikov Bure to be inducted into the SHL hall of fame. 

(168 words)

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Festinator - 10-19-2020

Well, this is a bit of a tough one as a newer player. I don't know the vast majority of these hall of famers and what they did, but I can see that Chester Cunningham is ranked 50th on list there of players, and there are a loooooottttttttt of players behind him that are in the HOF and he is not. I find that interesting. I guess not everyone can make the HOF but I wonder why he did not. Was he a terrible user? Did he offend people? A leafs fan? There could be a good reason he was not inducted into the HOF. I am not sure what the reqs to being in the HOF are, if there are any other than being retired. But Looking at all the other players that have been inducted into the hall of fame, I really don't see why chester should have been left out. So free my boy chester i guess. Unless he was left out for being an asshat.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Mutedfaith - 10-19-2020

When going through the data provided in the HOF status sheet, my eye fell on a player whose goals and assists equal to exactly 600. To get to 600 points, including 291 goals and 309 assists, this player needed 751 games, played over 16 seasons. He represented only a handful of teams during that time. He was drafted into the SHL by Toronto, and spent most of his career with the Minnesota Chiefs (currently the Minnesota Monarchs). He represented Ireland in the IIHF and St Louis in the SMJHL (for two seasons) as well. He never played for a strong contender, which explains his negative +/- rating, but he consistently put up 40+ points per season during his prime seasons. His shottotal of a little over 2900 ranks him 33rd in the league history. He never disregarded the physical aspect of the play either, making 1239 hits during his career. With a 0.80 point per game total, Bobby Watson did better than a lot of current HOF members and deserves to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - dankoa - 10-19-2020

As a Hall of Fame committee member and previous head of said committee, there's not too many people who I've voted for in past years who aren't currently in the Hall of Fame. The one who stands out though is the former Winnipeg forward, Corey Bearss. Bearss was taken in the S31 draft by the Jets and would go on to form a big part of the team's core in the seasons to come but was often overlooked due to the brilliance of the teammates playing around him. Sharing a squad with all time greats like Jason Visser and Zach Evans meant Corey never really grabbed headlines as much as he should have, but his career was very impressive. Winning 2 Challenge Cups, receiving a Ron Mexico trophy nom, a Jeff Dar trophy win along with another 2 nominations and 1 Anton Razov trophy win, along with being named to 3 SHL All star teams (2 of which were first team), Bearss had a celebrated career that should be looked at more favorably than it is. Hopefully we'll hear his name getting called soon, although there isn't too much longer left on his eligibility and some big names are coming up soon to be nominated.

Code:
205 words

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Salming - 10-19-2020

As a newer player, this was a interesting task to learn some history. I scrolled through the Excel sheet and saw that Tommy Creller is not a part of Hall of Fame even though he scored 595 points only in 15 seasons. There are only two players above him who have scored more points exactly in 15 seasons. Creller has also seventh most points among those who are not a part of Hall of Fame. His stat line 235+360=595 is very impressive. He is also defensively responsively enough with +49.  On power play Creller has scored 158 points so majority of his points have come on even strength. In fact, he has 99 power play assists so if there is nothing what annoys him afterwards it is probably that he didn't get 100 assists on power play. It was so close! He has also 30 game-winning goals and PPG is 0.78 which is good enough to be selected to HOF because there are players with 0.68, 0.70 etc. 

Words: 181

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Carpy48 - 10-19-2020

I find this extremely difficult, because I don't really know enough about older players, particularly those that retired before I even joined the league. As a goalie I've always been much more interested in goalie stuff than in skaters so because of that I'll focus on the goalie section of the HOF. There clearly is one retired goalie that is not yet in the HOF that simply stands out when you look at the numbers and that's - you guessed it - Beaujeaux Biscuit. 17 seasons is not exactly a short career. Most people would now go and look at wins next, 368 wins - that's more than losses and OTL combined, so overall very good. However, this is where I personally see things differently. Wins should not be a goalie stat (anymore). Wins depend sooo much on the team (same with GAA). That might've been different in STHS, but now in FHM goalies can't influence wins much if at all. But I don't want to complain. Beaujeaux fits into the STHS era and perhaps back then goalies could definitely make a difference whether a team would win games or not. Playing 679 games in 17 seasons is something that should be worth looking at, because not all that many goalies play that much. The other stat I like to look at is obviously SV% which is over .900 and for such a long career anything over 0.900 is pretty impressive if you ask me. In fact this is probably one of the stats that goalies can influence with their build and I haven't seen a goalie in the HOF that was under 0.900. If a goalie has a long career, especially as a starter, look at those numbers more than you look at wins or GAA. I'm not sure how the committee decides this, but that's how I would look at it. Another potential HOF goalie I can see is Benjamin Blue, despite not having so many wins and a slightly worse career GAA (that depends on the team so much). Now this turned into a much longer ramble than I had expected...

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - Acsolap - 10-19-2020

Going to have to go out and make the case for two of my WKP homies in Zoone and Bojo. Too often a players place in the HoF puts too much weight on the awards they received or were nominated for during their careers rather than just focusing on the numbers. While Alex Light was never really recognised with individual awards he was extremely consistent in what was a dominant WKP team. He is not dissimilar to Maximilian Wachter and Zalleras Szlerchek who are both in the hall of fame and therefore Alex Light is thoroughly deserving of a place. Of pretty much the same era was Beujeaux Biscuit who sits at third all time amongst goaltenders for wins which should be enough to get him in by itself. He is also the highest scoring goaltender in SHL history which is a crazy achievement and was almost solely responsible for WKP winning the cup in S48.

RE: S56 PT #4 - HOF Snub - KC15 - 10-19-2020

PBE Affiliate PT