Simulation Hockey League
Friday Night Updates - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: SHL Discussion (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+---- Thread: Friday Night Updates (/showthread.php?tid=114192)

Pages: 1 2

Friday Night Updates - trella - 02-21-2021

While I really appreciate the update team getting ahead of the 8 ball and getting an early start on updates, it really sucks when your team gets updated at 6:30 on a Friday night. A lot of people around the league and a lot of guys on Tampa do their updates on the weekend, causing them to be missed, which really sucks especially for a team like Tampa who is in the hunt and every TPE counts in our games.

I think it was either @MCP_ or @Muford that suggested that if a team is updated earlier than everyone else than there should be a grace period of some sorts where the updaters go back over the team and process updates from the weekend. I think something like this could work and let people get their updates in each week.

Thx guys

Pinging @Zombiewolf so he sees

EDIT: we got updated at ~11:30 EST not 6:30, but as far as I’m aware a team can be updated that early

RE: Friday Night Updates - sve7en - 02-21-2021

Update window needs cleanly defined and pt claims need to not go up in the middle or for a few hours before. I don't have a problem with updates starting at a time as long as it's expected.

RE: Friday Night Updates - Carpy48 - 02-21-2021

I noticed that too once or twice that a claim went up after the updates have already happened for the week. That should be coordinated better.

RE: Friday Night Updates - trella - 02-21-2021

02-21-2021, 12:15 PMsve7en Wrote: Update window needs cleanly defined and pt claims need to not go up in the middle or for a few hours before. I don't have a problem with updates starting at a time as long as it's expected.
Agreed 100%. Can never really expect when you’ll get updated and just by the way claims work rn teams gain an advantage if they’re updated later. Tampa is basically missing out on easily over 100 TPE across the board with only 5 guys updating on saturday? Definitely a big difference imo

RE: Friday Night Updates - Zombiewolf - 02-21-2021

We get updates started on fridays to give file workers more than enough time to input teams into the file there’s really no way around that since they gotta do it manually. Updates can start as early as 6pm est on Friday everybody should be aware of that and ensure you get your player updated before that

Edit: I wasn’t aware of the pt claim going after the start of the update window. Not sure if the pt team can get that up earlier but I don’t see me pushing the update window further it’s early for a reason.

02-21-2021, 12:18 PMCarpy48 Wrote: I noticed that too once or twice that a claim went up after the updates have already happened for the week. That should be coordinated better.
Yeah better coordination and communication between the PT team and Updater team should definitely be a thing, as they go hand in (and?) hand anyways

02-21-2021, 12:21 PMZombiewolf Wrote: We get updates started on fridays to give file workers more than enough time to input teams into the file there’s really no way around that since they gotta do it manually. Updates can start as early as 6pm est on Friday everybody should be aware of that and ensure you get your player updated before that

Edit: I wasn’t aware of the pt claim going after the start of the update window. Not sure if the pt team can get that up earlier but I don’t see me pushing the update window further it’s early for a reason.
Yeah i totally understand why we have the early start and it’s definitely a good thing. Was just thinking there could be more uniformity to update times but i get it if that’s not possible

RE: Friday Night Updates - Kachur - 02-21-2021

I agree, for sure if they update early, they should go back and update the weekend players. especially with claims going up very shortly after the fact,

RE: Friday Night Updates - mastersheep - 02-21-2021

It’s funny I was thinking the other week how we had been updated on Friday night and then CW was graded the next day and then some teams were able to take advantage of this. Obviously given our team’s position at the moment I don’t care as much given that it’s really a minor annoyance, but that’s potentially a significant early advantage for better teams and can make a difference.

But like Zombie said we start updating at Friday 6pm ET and it’s been that way since last April.

RE: Friday Night Updates - Sean - 02-21-2021

PT team has done a lot to improve in the last few years, but one thing they've slipped up on is grading time. I remember if your updater hadn't finished your update before midnight on Sunday, there was a good chance you could sneak in the next weeks PT because it was graded so quickly.

I don't know the structure of grading now, but the team should be able to grade PTs as they're being written and then get the claim thread out within a day of the task ending.

RE: Friday Night Updates - DELIRIVM - 02-21-2021

02-21-2021, 12:15 PMsve7en Wrote: Update window needs cleanly defined and pt claims need to not go up in the middle or for a few hours before. I don't have a problem with updates starting at a time as long as it's expected.
Definitely agree with this sentiment. Even offseason claims come up at delayed times. Updates need to work around PT claim, so it really comes down to making sure claims are better defined and then moving forward with making a set time weekly for updates to begin.

RE: Friday Night Updates - Keenan - 02-21-2021

Just popping in here to say that we are currently discussing what measures well be taking in the PT department in response to this. Will notify the threat when a decision is made!

RE: Friday Night Updates - Kalakar - 02-21-2021

02-21-2021, 12:21 PMZombiewolf Wrote: We get updates started on fridays to give file workers more than enough time to input teams into the file there’s really no way around that since they gotta do it manually. Updates can start as early as 6pm est on Friday everybody should be aware of that and ensure you get your player updated before that

For what it's worth, SHL file workers (idk about j) have been pretty on point with inputting the updates every weekend that they usually have to wait on updaters to finish updating before they start working.

RE: Friday Night Updates - Zombiewolf - 02-21-2021

02-21-2021, 08:06 PMKalakar Wrote:

For what it's worth, SHL file workers (idk about j) have been pretty on point with inputting the updates every weekend that they usually have to wait on updaters to finish updating before they start working.

Yeah I mean in a perfect world I’d have every team updated on Friday or at the same exact time but that’s just not really possible since the whole process is manual. I also don’t think it’s fair to the updaters for them to be on call to swing back and update someone that didn’t get their update in-time. Everybody is on their own schedule during the weekend and they shouldn’t be required to go back and do that it’s not really fair to them.

RE: Friday Night Updates - TheWoZy - 02-21-2021

zomb is right