Simulation Hockey League
Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=403)
+---- Thread: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland (/showthread.php?tid=116291)

Pages: 1 2

Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Sopath - 05-31-2021

[Image: ErikKarlsson1.jpg]

I'm not sure how to really do this formally other than just saying that the experience of playing for the Newfoundland Berserkers has been the time of my life truly. Having a place filled with hardcore sports fans to talk to every day about everything has been a fulfilling experience that I wish everyone who joins the SHL could get. I've created before and gone IA before. I honestly thought I'd eventually go IA again when I re-created back in September of 2020. But against all the odds I'm still here and that's because of one thing, Newfoundland is the best damn fucking team in the SMJHL and it's filled with the best people in the world. If any S61 Prospects happen to be reading this, I just want you to know that Newfoundland is an incredible place if you are lucky enough to get drafted by the Zerks. Sometimes I'm talking baseball with Corey and the next thing I'm reading the prologue to "The Great Hunt" on discord. I can't believe it's over. Four seasons, 248 Games, 56 Goals, and 152 Points. Named Assistant Captain, Named Captain, Named to the All-Star team, and named the league's most dedicated player. 4 Times The Zerks made it out of the first round of the playoffs and in S56 we went all the way to the Cup Final. It feels like a lot but it went by so fast. As I remarked to Ham earlier today, when I started my Zerk career I was halfway through the first book in the Wheel of Time and now I'm halfway through book 7. It feels like so much but it all happened so quick and now it is time for something new. It was a good career for Bas and one that I will always cherish, may Bas' next step in New England also be a blessing. I'm going to go through and thank many of the people who made it possible for me to even get to this point. If you don't see your name cut me some slack because there are so many to name when you play for a team like The Zerks.

First off let me thank @JNH and @SDCore. You were the GMs that drafted me and as I've previously alluded to, I'm not sure I'd still be around if it wasn't for you guys taking me. I think I would've been gone after a couple weeks if not for you guys taking a chance on me and bringing me in. You guys knew that I went IA pretty quickly last time out and so there were lots of concerns, but you took the leap of faith anyways and made my life better as a result. J you gave me what I needed to have such a dominant rookie season and you've always been available to talk about the stressful things going on in my life, I'm sure there will be more of those talks as I go on to law school. Corey you always defend me when the haters attack and you're the best! It makes it that much more fun when the Giants actually do play the Padres as they feel like they have this extra weight. Sadly we won't see another match up of the sort until September. But this thanking of people responsible for getting me to the team wouldn't be complete without another person.

@teztify you were a huge reason why J and Corey took the leap of faith that they did to select me 9th overall in the S56 SMJHL Draft. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! In addition to that you were my first Captain and line mate. We played together two great years and that rookie year will always be especially special to me as we made a cup run. All the best in Chicago.

@Patty you were the very first person from NL to reach out to me. You scouted me and gave me a very positive impression of the team and set me on the path to ending up where I did. Thank you for that. But also you and I have a very good bond in how much we both hate Stan Kroenke. He's seriously the worst and he's largely responsible for why it is that I'm actually going to be able to watch more Avs games once I move away from Colorado, monster. Also when the XFL resumes you can count on me to be rooting for the Battlehawks with you.

@Nhamlet and @juke honestly I didn't know you guys all that well until you became the GMs of the Zerks but you guys are the best possible replacement to J and Corey that could've possibly been. Ham thanks for coming on draft streams to talk to Halk and I and thanks to offering so much build advice, and encouragement through the seasons. Always giving the resources needed to compete best I can, and sometimes I wondered if anyone really cared how much effort I was putting into those articles last season but your comments always showed me that people did. Juke you make god tier graphs and they're amazing but you are even cooler then your graphs. Glad we've always been able to talk about tons of shit non-SHL through the seasons. I always appreciate your leadership in the locker room and your ability to engage the players has always been something other teams should model. More than that I'm always glad you're just a good friend.

@bdu754 You're the best man. I kinda hope the Canucks don't suck simply because I know you love them so much man. When I first came in you were one of the people that helped me adjust to the vibe of the LR and helped me feel welcome and I always appreciated that. You became Captain and there couldn't have possibly been a better follow up to Lassi Suhonen then Vaseline Podcalzone. In S58 when you went on that big pointless drought I always was quick to point out that you were the difference in some many games due to the incredible two way ability of your player. And you're going to make the big difference in Seattle because you're an awesome dude that inspires people to be awesome towards one another.

@neonlime you are the emoji master and I've always appreciated the sardonic tone to your presence in the LR. Your free agency article has got to be one of the funniest things I've ever read. Keep up the good work and one day you'll be the next Zerk legend to lead Buffalo to greatness.

@Festinator we didn't get to play together very much but I always root for your player in the SHL. I think you're the evidence of what an incredible system that J and Corey created. A system that continuously turns out phenomenal player after phenomenal player. I hope you post more in the WoT discord about your thoughts on the series as you get through the series! Also congrats on the Jets 4-0 sweep on the Oilers. That shit was hilarious.

@Tylar literally one time we sat in a discord vc and said not one word to each other. Sad.

@TheBigSandeenie good god man how do you not have a sig all this time later? Couldn't have asked for a better Ass Man than Sandeen. Thanks for the positive encouragement on all my articles through the seasons, I really appreciated it. Sorry we couldn't really get it together for our collab articles this season. I'm gonna miss playing with Sandeen, a constant ZotG threat.

@3lewsers beetle juice should make his return to the Howard Stern show NOW.

@lmao My time as scout for the Zerks was brief but I'm gonna take credit for discovering you. To acquire you in the 5th round at 50th overall is the steal of a life time and I think it is stuff like that that sets this team apart from the others. You've been an incredible presence of the Locker room and a very fitting Ass Man. You were the steal of the S59 SHL Draft even if most of the SHL Brain hasn't realized it yet.

@Minnesotafine again another incredible steal for NL in the draft. Thank you Anchorage for giving us a 4th round pick that you didn't value because that turned into Slavakov Vladimirashenko at 47th overall. You've seriously saved my ass this last season with your incredible leadership and you are going to be a phenomenal player in the SHL one day. Just like baseball has the Yankees and the Red Sox. The SHL has the Dragons and the Blizzard. To be a member of either organization is a point of pride since both have featured so many all time greats, mark me you will be among them as well as the next person I need to get to.

@visceralpotamus Once upon a time some dumb ass once freaked out because he was taken after a turtle. Well that guy is going to be remembered only for the disrespect he showed future great "Pasta the Turtle." Like Yosh before, you embody the spirit of the LR and I honestly wonder where NL would be without you. Thankyou for taking this team to the next great place it needed to be. It has been a thrill to see you develop into such an incredible prospect. Also drafted by Edmonton, I think you're going to be remembered as an all time SHL great for being the leader on a team beloved by so many. I think you and Slavakov and Shion have work yet to do in NL before that time. Go forth, claim the cup.

@Rindiee we talk a lot lately. You know how I feel and I know how you feel. Sco Ducks fuck Dawgs. But for real you are a cool guy and I'd buy you a beer if I ever met you IRL.

@GoonerBear I think you're a cool dude and congrats on the national championship. Glad you're going to be part of the next generation for Manhattan.

@Spartan you were an absolute stud this season, keep up the good work because there is so much more to do in NL!

@Out of Toast you were also amazing this year. I think that Toronto has done very well to have you in there system.

@Toast sorry for all the Main drive bys through the seasons. Sorry for jinxing you guys in the draft lottery. But I hope you know that I am genuinely rooting for both NL and MAINE to be great!

@RenoJacksonHS Evgeni Petrov has been one of my all time favorite players to cover. It always felt like he could get a shutout when he was out there. Thanks for being such a great part of the next generation of Zerks.

@Simo_393 honestly you're my favorite line mate through all the seasons. Bas never played better than when he played with Ric the Dic. Since I know Ric is going back to Australia after the conclusion of his J career, I know this really is the end for you and I as players. But we will always be friends!

@KlusteR Merci pour teaching moi Francais kinda. Okay honestly I've not been keeping up with my French as much as I should but thanks for always being a cool guy and helping me adjust into the new NL awards guy!

@santej29 I wish we could talk more about Aqua Teen. Sabarro has been one of my favorite players to follow through the seasons. He's had so many awesome games including a breakaway where he scoured on Chicago's current Goalie if I'm recalling correctly.

@Nike I was wrong in what ever pop punk argument I was trying to make about MCR.

@Randominoe You're a cool guy and my god your player has been amazing for NL. Thanks for the incredible work since joining the team and good luck in MIN.

@supertardis101 you make this team so much better and thanks for all you do. You're the best D-Man in the J.

@Jedi outside of my first year, Hugo has been my goalie all my years. Thanks for all the hard work and good luck on the next stage of your career.

@Evil_AllBran we didn't get to get hardly any rookies in S59. I'm glad the one was you though. Good luck in the upcoming draft. Wherever you end up!

Alright I've been writing this for an hour. So allow me to quickly shoutout some other people that I never really got to know that I still appreciate @Wally @leafsftw1967 @JAJA SWEG DINGDONG @Justice @bbp @Clean Andrei Kostitsyn and I still feel like there must be someone I'm forgetting. Fuck me if I am. That's the thing about NL. There are so many people to thank. It really is more than a team. If I have forgotten you, let me know so I can correct.

Well it's been cool Newfoundland. I'll be heading up to Boston, well down really, in the next couple weeks. It's a new book in my life but I'll never forget this one.

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - JNH - 05-31-2021

BAS

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - yosh - 05-31-2021

Berserkers

oh man who's cutting onions in here :(

Godspeed to Bas as he starts a new chapter in the SHL. A great linemate to Pod (never forget the great memories of the Vas-Las-Bas line), looking forward to seeing them on the ice again, albeit in different jerseys.

Soap man, you've done so much for the Zerks in your four seasons here, from coming up with the Volsungr to taking over the NL team awards show, to being a huge part of the scouting team. Just as much as you said how the Zerks have given you a fulfilling experience, I think you've also given all of us in the NL locker room a greater experience as well.

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - yosh - 05-31-2021

@Lime heres ur ping btw

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - visceralpotamus - 05-31-2021

Losing two legendary captains in two years.... damn. Appreciate you so much. Of all the smjhl records I think the only one I'm gonna strive for is to get to book 8 of WoT before my time as a zerk is over.
So much love!

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Sopath - 05-31-2021

05-31-2021, 12:33 AMbdu754 Wrote: Berserkers

oh man who's cutting onions in here :(

Godspeed to Bas as he starts a new chapter in the SHL. A great linemate to Pod (never forget the great memories of the Vas-Las-Bas line), looking forward to seeing them on the ice again, albeit in different jerseys.

Soap man, you've done so much for the Zerks in your four seasons here, from coming up with the Volsungr to taking over the NL team awards show, to being a huge part of the scouting team. Just as much as you said how the Zerks have given you a fulfilling experience, I think you've also given all of us in the NL locker room a greater experience as well.

We'll have to celebrate Bas and Vas' reunion in the first match up they get in S60. It'll be a glorious reunion between two captains.

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Sopath - 05-31-2021

05-31-2021, 01:24 AMvisceralpotamus Wrote: Losing two legendary captains in two years.... damn. Appreciate you so much. Of all the smjhl records I think the only one I'm gonna strive for is to get to book 8 of WoT before my time as a zerk is over.
So much love!

I encourage you to get there! Keep going! Just can't wait to hear your thoughts after book 2!

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Lime - 05-31-2021

[Image: unknown.png]

SOPATH: AN TRUE BERSERKER

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Festinator - 05-31-2021

Much love lad :( 

And damn yeah i need to get back into that book!

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Festinator - 05-31-2021

05-31-2021, 02:47 AMLime Wrote: [Image: unknown.png]

This is amazing

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Evil_AllBran - 05-31-2021

5ever in our hearts and our LR

Heart  Berserkers  Heart

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - santej29 - 05-31-2021

good read my friend!! Always fun talking to you on the board or in our messages.

You have been a great Zerk, but all that was to get you ready for the next level up in your career, and here it is! Good luck with the Wolfpack.

Still have to chat it up sometimes, might be the end as teammates but doesn't have to be the end of our convos.

- Master Shake

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - santej29 - 05-31-2021

05-31-2021, 02:55 AMFestinator Wrote:
05-31-2021, 02:47 AMLime Wrote: [Image: unknown.png]

This is amazing

best team photo ever!! 100%

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Bfine - 05-31-2021

Oh man you’re gonna make me cry over here.

I’m never going to forget you waiting for me to get drafted in the J draft after I fell to 47 after waiting in the chat for hours and the excitement you had when the Zerks grabbed me. You’re a great guy, a hell of a captain, and embody everything NL is. The Wolfpack are damn lucky to have you and I can’t wait to see Bas be a star in the SHL.

RE: Bas O'Bigbers says goodbye to Newfoundland - Wally - 05-31-2021

Taps my man! Only love here my fellow Serk