Simulation Hockey League
S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S62 PT #3- Hold this L (/showthread.php?tid=120425)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Snuffalupagus - 11-28-2021

THIS IS IN RESPONSE TO THE SECOND PROMPT, PROMPT NUMBER TWO.

Man. Age does not equal wisdom, but a couple old oak trees skated right through us young bucks when the Up-and-Comers met the Hall-of-Famers..

A bloodbath ensued. A certain hall of famer forward (that must be referred to as John Doe Number 5) that formally suited up for the Calgary Dragons had come to the game with a sharpened chicken parmasean (I am high so I'm not sure if I'm making sense, but is that what the Calgary Dragons normally eat? It's not gold, is it? I thought dragons liked gold or chicken parmesean) sandwich (like really pointy ends!) and at first opportunity USED the sharpened sandwich and sliced open a hole in the space-time-conintunuum, releasing different Hall of Famers from different timelines who then put a reeeeeal hurting on us. One of the hall of famers was also in litigation in their timeline, so they can't be named, but they ALSO had a really sharp sandwich. Maybe there was a community class for making them or something?

Anyway. They got called for too many men on the ice, but then the referee started to disappear because I guess his parents didn't have sex as a result of the rip in time-space?? I don't know. Either way. Those hall of famers scored 600 goals on us. We just ate popcorn.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Gaia Mormont - 11-28-2021

PROMPT 2

I suppose in all my years on the site, I've had many many many L's. Probably I've forgotten more about than most people will ever have but the one that still stings me is from my last player. I had a few players before that and I would admit I was semi-active at best. Never a top earner, but I stuck it out. Won some cups, even had a all-star year. No big deal I always had fun. Then with my third player I turned a new leaf. I earned every TPE available in my junior year and wrote media, did graphics was probably everywhere I could stick my nose. So when draft time came around I was soooo sure i would go top ten. Maybe even top five! My bro was in the same draft and a team had 3 top 12 picks I thought for sure I would go high. Nope. Got overlooked by every team at least once and went 22nd (?) or something like that. Was legitimate hurt and went inactive for quite a while. I'm over it now and I acted childish but at the time I was L'ed hard. Oh well. Life goes on.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - MP7 - 11-28-2021

It shouldn’t be such a surprise to get a loss against the actual Superstars of the league, but us old guys from the Hall of Fame nothing brings us down that easily and they had to fight for it very hard to earn that win. You can be a superstar of the league, but to get a Hall of Famer it takes a little bit more. You have to learn to fight back if its not going your way. Ok, they beat us this time, but all of our team have learned the comeback mentality over there long careers. The tournament isn’t over yet and we will meet again and be ready because we will be much better next time and will show does young guys what the old fat guys still are able to do. Bring your diapers, you will need them when we are finished with you. Watch out for the re match.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - TheSparkyDee - 11-28-2021

Pt pass

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - BenDover - 11-28-2021

WSBL PT

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Benpachi - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2

During Roddy Bs time with Carolina, they have had generally competitive seasons, with some ups and downs in between. However, the one constant L that has plagued him like an angel of death is the post season. Anything after regular season and Roddy B struggles to show up. Whether its the World Junior Championships, or the repeated Second Round Smackdowns handed to Carolina by the Quebec City Citadelles three years running. This adversity is an ongoing struggle, and time will tell whether Roddy can respond and step up his game, or continue to crumble under the pressure of big-deal games. That being said, the Citadelles repeated smackdowns of Carolina in the post-season are also a massive L, and are very close to giving Roddy a complex. Thankfully, being a prospect for the Montreal Patriotes, a simmering rivalry with Quebec City was already on the menu. Now if Quebec City could only get an SHL team, the rivalry would be complete...

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Halkohol - 11-28-2021

PROMPT 2

I have been suffering from one big L. The big L is mainly a lot of small Ls but to me, the L gets heavier by every season. The L is the struggles that Detroit Falcons suffer through playoffs and have for many seasons now. The struggles began all the way back when I was a new young player on Detroit. We did struggle through the season, put up an okay showing but were quickly eliminated in the first round that we played in. This kept on going for as long as I was a send-down. Even when we managed to get a bye for the first round, we put up a fight but were eliminated. And to top it off, last season I stepped in as co-GM for Detroit and once again we suffered a defeat in the first round. And the even bigger loss right now is that we are very likely to miss playoffs as well. I am cursed or just bad, playoffs with Detroit apparently not my thing and will forever be my biggest

L <--- it's mine.

(181 words)

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Nike - 11-28-2021

Every L that I have taken on the SHL has more to do with activity than really any other thing on the site. Generally, when you have multiple generations of players across your real life 20's, it can be easy to fall out of the habit of getting your updates in and keeping track of what is going on in the league. Earlier in my SHL tenure, it was really easy to keep track of players, the sim, update scales, PTs. Now, there are a multitude of things beyond those asks that can get in the way of the user experience. There are probably five times as many players and it becomes really hard to match usernames to player names. I no longer know which player belongs to which users. The sim engine has obviously changed quite a bit. There are more PTs now than ever, and the update scale has changed about a dozen times to curb inflation and encourage build diversity. So, in the midst of all of that, I have had a number of players where I have gone inactive amidst their careers. And as a result, those player careers were really "L's". But I can't get them back and will instead focus on this player

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - hotdog - 11-28-2021

A tough L that I have taken during my time as a member of this site would have to go back to the season 49 playoffs when i was the co GM of the New England Wolfpack alongside Ace. Our team was still fairly young but we had made a couple of big moves that thrust us into contention earlier than expected (plus this was possible in the STHS era lol) - we had a thrilling playoff series against Manhattan from which we emerged on top. I actually remember being in class (as the instructor btw) and sneaking a glance at my phone during lecture to see the notification saying that we had beaten Manhattan - what an exciting time! In the finals, though, we met a hot Edmonton team and got absolutely smacked around. I actually can't remember right now but I think it might have even been a sweep lol. Players like Guy Zheng, Dick Clapper, Eko van Otter, Slap McShotty - we simply weren't ready for the big time yet, and we lost to a great Edmonton team. tough L for us to hold!

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Ace - 11-28-2021

My worst loss I’ve ever encountered as a GM has to be back in S39. The New England Wolfpack were my team, and we were finally in our window of contention after a rebuild. We were the top dog, and were heavily favored going into a Challenge Cup Finals against my former team. I was stoked – we did countless test sims and everything indicated that we were positioned to win that illusive Challenge Cup. The first game came around, and I am pretty sure we got shutout. It wasn’t close at all. “Ok, that was just a fluke” our war room had said, and we let it roll with what we had in G1. I am going strictly based off of memory here, and like I said it was a pretty shitty memory. We lost G2 in OT I think. With that occurring, we firmly were down 2-0 in the series to the underdog team. We did some pretty drastic adjustments, which probably didn’t help in hindsight, and then we subsequently went down 3-0, and then the final dagger was the 4th game. That series was so disappointing.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Sopath - 11-28-2021

Yeah they might be Hall of Famers but they are old and so it is kind of embarrassing to take this loss. The hall of fame team was made up by Robert Phelps, Johanes Leitner, Demaricus Smyth. Robert Phelps is one of the greatest centers to ever play the game for a reason. He creates so much space for all of his teammates and there just was nothing we could do. Even when we had our chances Johannes Leitner's glove is just so quick even now. Leitner played a lot of years in the league and one of the best goalies ever. We couldn't do anything and it is painful. Then we'd get smacked around by Demaricus Smyth. Demaricus Smyth mimght not have the speed anymore but that shoulder still hurts. Overall our pride as youngsters was quite bruised after these older fellows demolished us. Better luck next time to us.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Julio Tokolosh - 11-28-2021

its a good growth moment for the team. in the locker room we're immediately disappointed, but in seeing that a bunch of oldheads can still put in that effort to get the work done, than we definitely can too. our roster is all older players, many of which will be in the hall of fame. If members of our roster truly deserve to be in the hall, then they need to be able to put in that effort and showcase their abilities now, against the names and legends that are already there.
Captain (Pepperoni, maybe?) waits in the hallway and tells the coaches that he'd like a word with the team before the coaches have at them. Tony speaks on accountability and finishing the job. This tournament isn't about statistics, it is about pride and legacy, and the current effort shown is not enough to accomplish either.
The coaches come in post-talk and nod. the veterans crack a few less beers on the bus ride back to the hotel.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - brickwall35 - 11-28-2021

You look at these old timers, and while everyone knows their stats and accolades from their prime, they clearly look like they've left that era in the past. Gray hair or none at all, hunched over, wrinkles all over. But on the ice, it's like they knew every single thing we were going to do before we even did them. They were intercepting passes, faking me out with no look shots, I'm sure they would have blocked shots had we actually been able to take them. The worst was when they got awarded a penalty shot. Do you know how embarrassing it is to get scored on by someone skating towards you at least than 2 miles per hour? Well I do. Once the mercy rule ended the game, the locker was dead silent. It wasn't depression, it was pure shock. But once Jammin started laughing, it became contagious. What else can you do but laugh when you get demolished by Team Geriatrics? The Young Guns will keep our heads held high and shoot for our first win next game.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - SDCore - 11-28-2021

Prompt 1 -

I think the biggest L I have taken on this site, would have been the reverse sweep by Buffalo on us in Chicago. We had that series in hand so many times, just to let it slip away and slip away it did. It was incredibly disappointing and embarrassing for us as a team. That would be my biggest L on the site as a team. I think my biggest L as a GM was not winning the cup a few seasons back. We were never the favorites to win, but again we were up in the series, with 2 chances to close it out and we ended up losing to Hamilton. As a GM, I really wanted that for my team, as we had some new guys who hadn't won and some friends on the way out, who really deserved a cup. So yeah, losing a couple of heart breaking series and finals would definitely be my biggest L I've taken on this site and game. Hopefully I won't have many more of those.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Symmetrik - 11-28-2021

I think the worst L I took on here came in my first season as a majors GM in season 37 with the Toronto North Stars. We went on a surprise run to the finals, and went ahead 3-1. We were the 3rd seed in the East (only 4 playoff teams per conference) and were 7th in points out of the 8 playoff teams. We weren't supposed to be there but we got to it, 1 game away from a championship. We then lost 3 straight games to lose the championship. 3 consecutive 1 goal games. An over time game in there too. 3-2, 6-5, 3-2. I haven't ever won a championship as a GM, in any league, so while I've mostly let it go, maybe it's cursed me to never have a championship win. It was a pretty rough loss and my own player was pretty useless in the playoffs so that only made it sting more.