Simulation Hockey League
S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S62 PT #3- Hold this L (/showthread.php?tid=120425)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - goilers - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2

I think one of my biggest L‘s in this league would be of course not getting to 2000 TPE. I fell short by about 3 TPE and I’m hoping I am able to break it with this player this time. But if we’re talking about gameplay I would say is with Sophia Bennett and becoming somewhat inactive when I could’ve had an even better career. However Bennett made it into the Hall of Fame so I can’t complain too much. I think it will be hard for Greyson Cooper to top Bennett’s career so it will always feel shadowed. And lastly I don’t consider this a full L but getting so close to winning a four-star cup with the Quebec city citadelles every season and not being able to bring home the hardware has been sad but I think it’s only made Cooper a stronger & better player. I am hoping this will be the season for Quebec to finally bring it home. I am proud of how the team has played and how consistent it has been since joining the team.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Jorec - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2

The biggest loss that Adrik Baranov has ever suffered isn't from any particular game, play-off round or international tournaments. His biggest loss was the loss of control over his career when he hitched himself to the Winnipeg Aurora for a full three season contract at the minimum amount of cash. A family history of loyalty to a singular team meant that he was happy, even excited to take the opportunity to prove himself as one of the folks to help take the team back to relevance.
Unfortunately, for Adrik, his contract signing would quickly be followed by his GM quitting, the Co-GM quitting and most of the team being traded away to various parts of the SHL with him still stuck on the team. A trade request saw him denied any power-play time, stuck being made a joke of the league as he did his best, shouldering the burden of a depleted team. He was traded eventually though, as the Minnesota Monarchs took on the remainder of his contract. Because of this happy change, he has finally started to recover and look more like the player he was meant to be. Though he's rounding out into more of a two way defender then anyone would have imagined him becoming.

209 words

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - juke - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2.

The toughest loss I've experienced on the site happened just a few seasons in to my career; the game 7 loss in round 2 of the SMJHL playoffs to CAR in S54. By S54, our LR had exploded with activity and we all became really good friends with each other, but I knew going into the playoffs that it would be my last season in the J and so my last season to win a cup with the team. It also stung more that due to FHM's 1-2 bracket seeding, the winner would be heavy favorites to also go on to the win the four star, which CAR did. So kind of a double whammy of it being my last game on the team, as well as had the energy of losing a finals match. And of course once the team was rid of me the next season, they were able to beat CAR in 7 in S55 and win the cup after dropping my dead weight.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - SpartanGibbles - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2: I've been around the SHL for a few years now and with that comes a few L's. I've experienced it both as a player and as a GM. I've made some trades that turned out horrible in the long run due to misplaced expectations. I've definitely misfired during the SHL draft a few times, but luckily I don't think I flubbed anything too bad, more just not finding the later round picks to fill out a roster. The S48 SMJHL Playoffs ended in an L as well as the defending champion Anaheim Outlaws fell in game 7 to the Vancouver Whalers. We didn't expect to make the finals that season but sadly the deep run ended at the last possible second. As a player I have been taking L's all the time. I didn't even play in the SHL playoffs until well into regression. I haven't gotten a playoff win, but hopefully that changes this season and the Monarchs can make a deep push.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - frazzle14 - 11-28-2021

Prompt 2:

If I’m being honest it feels like my players whole career has been one major L after another. This isn’t anything against the teams I’ve played for, they’ve all been nice places to be filled with great people. It’s more against myself for not being as active as I would have planned or would have liked to be. I joined the league last year a month after I joined my first sim league. I think I was too caught up in the sim league excitement and got myself burnt out a bit by everything that comes along with them. 

Since then my activity has dipped from being basically IA to doing a season’s worth of updates in one. Every time I’d have a look at the index to see how my player was doing it wasn’t pleasant reading. The minus numbers for his plus/minus was always a big yikes. The only thing that wasn’t a massive L was seeing the hits my player had dished out but every other stat he had collected was just so bad. And it’s been like this every time I’ve came back in to look at his play throughout his career. Bad times.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - bk1689 - 11-28-2021

Taking some L's eh? Unfortunately I've been a part of a few losses I'd rather forget. I joined the Dragons in hopes of basically winning the cup every year, and apparently fate has decided that wouldn't be the case. I've had some success for sure, but I've also experienced a few losses which still haunt me. Anytime I've been to the cup final and lost haunts me as I feel like we almost deserve that cup once we get there after all the doubters saying we don't. But also, before the switch to FHM as a part of the Austrian team, I felt like we had a legitimate chance each season, yet we'd end up falling just short. Now that we are in FHM, we have fallen very short. Hopefully very soon we wil come back in both the SHL and IIHF as Kennedy Jr's years are limited.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Mooney - 11-28-2021

WSBL Affiliate

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - CptGoosar - 11-28-2021

Prompt 1

So coming off a hard fought, but ultimately fruitile loss against the Hall of Famers All-Star team, moral was low but not all that low. The game was a washout but there was plenty of lesson learnt from the game. 

Firstly age doesn’t always trump all. They may have been 5+ years older than anyone one of our team, and as we expected to be quicker off the block / fitter / more aggressive but the vets used their superior knowledge to counter act most of that by using what athleatism that they have in a far more cunning and clever way using every bit they have to their fullest. 

Secondly, thier puck control is just that half second quicker and more precise, they have the ability to revive the puck move the puck and create space all in one fluid quick motion. That really is one of the biggest difference between those destined for the HoF and the mere professional. 

Finally, with that extra half second they creat with their puck control they’re able to move the puck that touch smarter and thus a touch more securely with very very few turnovers in possession. 

All in all it was a humbling experience to play and lots learnt to take to the next game. We will be ready for the re-match.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Lime - 11-28-2021

Memorable losses include S54 conference finals loss to the carolina kraken. It was tough getting so close and seeing our rivals take it all the way for a cup, but we got them back next season and won it all. Since getting called up there have been many tough losses to hamilton in the divisional round and finals. It is very demoralizing to know you cant make it past a certain team, especially when you can consistently make the finals. Fortunately we overcame that hurdle too and won in S60. Individually it was annoying losing playoff mvp in s55 to the team that lost, and it also sucked to lose the jesster aftwr such a hot start. I assume the biggest loss will be this season if harrington doesnt bust ass to create a gap between him and minamino. Ultimately if i dont make the hall of fame though that will be a major L.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Air Crou - 11-28-2021

PT pass

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Tomen - 11-28-2021

PT pass

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - SFresh3 - 11-28-2021

Prompt 1:

Ryu Jones getting bodied by Flacko Lagerfield when chasing a loose puck.
[Image: yQ08YzX.jpg]

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - Evok - 11-28-2021

[Image: Mkx4KLt.png]

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - charlieconway - 11-28-2021

Quote:Written Task: We've all taken Ls on this site (L<----- this one's mine), feel free to reminisce about any particularly bad ones. Playoff and medal round losses always sting, but talk about some bad losses that really molded your player or you as a user. Have you recovered?

A few seasons ago, my Toronto North Stars met the Buffalo Stampede in the conference finals. We were considered the underdog I think but nonetheless we managed to take it to game 7. For some background, my player Adam Barron was playing phenomenally all post-season: I led the entire playoffs in points as a defenseman and would go on to be nominated for the SHL's version of the Conn Smythe, depsite not even appearing in the finals. We were beating Buffalo with minutes to spare but they scored to tie it up and send it to sudden death OT. In OT, the Stampede managed to complete their comeback and break the hearts of everyone in the locker room.

There's no guarantee that we would have beaten the Steelhawks in the finals, especially since Buffalo failed to do so. But to get so close to the final round and yet come up short feels really bad, especially since we haven't gotten close to getting back to that point since then. It's like our loss left us with the consolation that we were a young and upcoming team, and in the ensuing seasons even that consolation withered away in our hands.

I have not recovered.

RE: S62 PT #3- Hold this L - hockeyiscool - 11-28-2021

Prompt 1

These hall of famers really won the game through mental prowess. First off they told us that SimonT was an ideal simulation hockey engine and that really shook a lot of us to the core. Also hit us with plenty of back in my day we only had fifty games in a regular season to get all of our stats. Which was a big shot to the ego especially of Michael Fitted. They then teased us by playing Crossfit Jesus in the middle of the third period and he did not even make it into the hall of fame. Just to showboat how much better than us they were. There were a lot of brainstorming on how our team is going to recover for the rest of this tournaments but the thing that got our mental back together was a healthy dose of a family dinner with Crybaby Cranberry sauce and Mommy Milker Mac n Cheese.

[156 words]