Simulation Hockey League
S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice (/showthread.php?tid=133352)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Zerg - 10-02-2023

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

OPTION 1 - Here We Go Again

Written Task: With some time to go still before your season starts, your player is contacted by an international organziation dedicated to growing the game. They're offering you a handsome check if you'll run a one-week hockey camp for them in any country that does NOT currently have an IIHF team. Which country would your player request? Why? How will your camp run?

Graphic option: Show me your player running a youth hockey camp.

OPTION 2 - Being Forward with the Forwards

Written Task: Tell me what your player wants the forwards on their team to do to help them out. If your player is a forward, tell me what you do to help your defensemen succeed.

Graphic option: Show me your player backchecking! This can be a standard player graphic or an Xs-and-Os play drawing.

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, October 8th at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only. If your player is S74, that's not you.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Zerg - 10-02-2023

PT Pass

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Frenchie - 10-02-2023

ISFL Affiliate

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Ace - 10-02-2023

Written Task – Option 1 – 155 Words
Lord Farquaads has agreed to a large sum of money from the Dulocian Ice Hockey Federation. Usually he donates his time for his own empire, but since it was usurped by the filthy ogre, Lord Farquaads has been barely scraping by with the meager salary of a SHL forward. It was a relief that the Dulocian residents still find Lord Farquaads alluring, as the crime rate in the city-state was miniscule when he was in power, but this was often due to Lord Farquaads’ iron fist when it came to punishing crime by the masses in the city. The only people allowed to commit crimes without repercussions were Lord Farquaads and his cronies themselves. Now that Farquaads is a top tier player in the SHL, he can bring his skills back home and teach all of the citizens how to play hockey, and hopefully earn them a spot on the map in the hockey world.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - sliceruser - 10-02-2023

OPTION 2 - Being Forward with the Forwards

I am a forward so my prompt will be on how I help the defense out. Alexandros is a playmaker first but a skilled defense forward next so to help out the defense he would do everything in his power to keep the puck in the offensive zone and when they do break it out be in the right position to steal the puck back or cut down the shooting/passing lanes. For the offensive and defensive zone coverage Alexandros specializes in reading the game and knowing where he needs to be to be the most effective to his team whether that be the right spot to receive and pass the puck in high danger areas for my team, or understanding the flow of the play and stopping the opposing team’s offense in its tracks. Although speed is not his strongest suit, he does have competitive speed and the hustle get back on fast breaks and can act as a 3rd defenseman when needed by the team.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - goldenglutes - 10-02-2023

the forward one but it's actually about defense men (men on the defense) because binko koivu is a forward after being a defense man originally

so binko would like to think that he understands the roles of both the forwards and the defense in the game of hockey because he used to be a defense man at a decently high level (i think he was on the second defensive pair for the atlanta inferno in the simulation hockey league for quite a long time) and now he is a first line forward for the atlanta inferno and has been that for the past season maybe two seasons unsure, maybe he was on the second line the season prior to his single (?) first line season? anyway binko might even have more insight about being a defense man than being a forward person. so binko would like his defense man teammates that are less senior than him in their careers (so basically only eel @hotdog) to listen up to what he has to say about being a defense man (person on defense). and what would that be? well binko would like them to slither up to join the forwards more often! let's go carry that puck through the neutral zone for a controlled zone entry! woo! you can do it eel! you can slither up here with us forwards! i bet very experienced defense man angus @micool132 would agree with young binko!

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - luke - 10-02-2023

Pt pass

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - spidey - 10-02-2023

Option 2:

I have always been a simple kind of hockey player. The goalie stops the puck, the forwards score the puck, and the defense simply is a roadblock to their own goalie. If I was to ask my defenders to do one thing, and only one thing to best help me succeed it would be do your job and do it well. There is no reason for you to do anything fancy, try and run from our end to their end with the puck weaving through traffic trying to score like a Bobby Orr. Just do your game, hit opponents, grind them in the boards, keep them away from the front of the net, and help your goalie clear the puck when it gets there. If you can do all those things it allows me to focus on my job. Getting to their net and putting the puck behind the goalie. Simply put, if we all focus on what we are supposed to do and do it well we will all succeed. Be the roadblock to the opposition and I will find a way to score.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Ricer13 - 10-02-2023

Option 1: 180 + words

Peter would love to host a camp in his hometown of Nuuk, Greenland. He does host smaller camps in New Orleans during the season but would love the opportunity to run one in a place he grew up. There is an abundance of camps in the world right now and tons that specifically target skating but what I find is lacking are the camps that teach you the intangibles. He would run a camp spread over a five day week. It would be 4 hour days each day with two hours of on ice, one hour of classroom session and one hour of team bonding. The one ice would target shooting, passing and positioning. These three things can fall by the wayside especially when the only camps most players do involve only skating. The classroom sessions would focus on positioning and situational plays to help give a visual of where they should be on the ice and when. The team bonding will feature a variety of activities but the focus here is to allow the kids to work on communication and being comfortable around one another.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - JamesT - 10-02-2023

Code:
Written Task: Tell me what your player wants the forwards on their team to do to help them out. If your player is a forward, tell me what you do to help your defensemen succeed.

This season I will be playing with Kev Kevens, Matsmith Söderberg-Tremblay and Melvin Majestik-Moose on the 1st line. For the past two seasons I have been playing on the 2nd line, but for this season we're going to see how I play with our top forwards on the top line. Ben Jammin has seen top powerplay time with these group of forwards so there won't be that much adjustment from playing with these forwards, but there will be more focus on playing in the defensive zone with them since we are used to being on the attack during the powerplay. That is what me and my D partner (Adelie de Pengu) will need help with since we will need to stop the attack first from the opposing team to then breakout and begin our attack into the other end of the rink and create some offense. We will look to work on this during practices and hopefully have flawless execution during actual games. 

(163 words)

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - zaybae - 10-02-2023

Option 1

The other night Cranberry got a call from her manager with a new off season gig. A hockey camp? anywhere in the world? thats an easy choice for her. she accepts the offer and books her flight for Honduras, where her parents were born. shes never lived there but shes visited there often, she remembers her little cousins fondly. theyd always ask to play ball hockey with cranberry, with whatever makeshift sticks and nets they could scrounge together.

Lea could think of nowhere better to run this camp. she wants to give her little cousins the same life changing experience she was able to have in the US.

hockey isnt as big of a cultural sport down there so Cranberrys gonna focus on learning the basics. it doesnt need to be advanced, she mainly wants to spread the love of hockey and give the kids an experience they wont forget. She knows her cousins and their friends like to play a lot of soccer together so cranberry's going to use the similarities between the two to bridge the gap for the youth down there in an attempt to make the sport more inclusive and fun for everyone!

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Figgy - 10-02-2023

OPTION 1 - Here We Go Again

Dan is excited for the opportunity to grow the game in Norway.  Dan feels with the intense passion for the game of soccer, it could be translated well to hockey. We will soon build the nation of Norway into an upcoming hockey powerhouse and build the Vikings Hockey brand. They will grow a great rivalry with Sweden and Finland due to their proximity. Obviously they would have to start the camp on the first day with the basics of skating and basic skills, it would be an intense camp to cram all of the necessary skills in one week.  The next day would go into the assignments each position has to maintain and the task in different scenarios. We would try to keep it fun and entertaining as it is a lot to work through in a week, but by the end we will be well on our way to seeing Norwegian hockey players throughout the leagues and leaderboards.

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - Tesla - 10-02-2023

Option 1 - Here We Go Again

Organization Head: So as you can see in the contract details we would be happy to offer you a hefty sum in return for just a week of your time in the off-season to run a hockey camp to hopefully bolster youth interest in a country that currently lacks such interest.

Agent Tesla: And we are allowed to request any country for this that is not represented in the IIHF correct?

Organization Head: That is correct. We do not want to bias you one way or another and are just looking to spread the joy that is hockey so as many countries as exist outside the IIHF are on the table.

Agent Tesla: Alright then we would like to do this hockey camp in the country of China then.

Organization Head: Oh China! That is a reasonable choice for outreach. I presume you want them because of their population.

Agent Tesla: Due in no small part to the fact that they have a billion people, but admittedly their lower temperature in comparison to the other country that has the same claim to fame also has a hand in it.

Organization Head: That sounds reasonable enough to me. Any special plans for this camp?

Agent Tesla: I would like to do both ice and roller hockey as I believe roller hockey has a lower barrier to entry. If we are going to spread the joy of hockey than maximizing who can participate is a key goal I would say. Given that I figure I should also go summon some of the kids from Rocket Power to help Dave spread the game.

Organization Head: Did you just say you are going to summon fictional characters?

Agent Tesla: Technically? Multiverse theory is true in this multiverse and I have the power to bridge the gap as casually as you walk through a doorway. It is how I hired Dave in fact!

Organization Head: I'm just going to sign the check now if that is okay.

Agent Tesla: Aces with me!

Code:
Word Count: 337

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - esilverm - 10-02-2023

PT PASS

RE: S73 PT#1: Friendly Advice - By-Tor - 10-02-2023

Option 2:

For Winnipeg forwards, the best thing they can do is just be themselves. They are so gifted and able to score, they don't need to overthink anything and just let us defense be the support they need to keep pushing forward. If the defensemen ever have the puck at the point, get in front and bang in those rebounds. One thing I do not want to see them do is go in ON A BREAKAWAY and PASS IT BACKWARDS out of the danger area. While we should all work as a unit, if you have the shot, take it. That has been a big problem in sims. We Winnipeg defensemen have really had it great with the weapons we have up front. As we all get older, the forwards need to remember to keep it simple and we defensemen will try to keep pushing the puck to the attack for the forwards to work their magic.