Simulation Hockey League
S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=564)
+---- Thread: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy (/showthread.php?tid=135550)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Zerg - 03-04-2024

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

Option 1:

Written Task: The next night, your player walks in a waking dream through a vague fog. An overweight plague doctor, who never speaks, guides you through the chill winter air. Suddenly remembering your encounter with sleep paralysis Connor McDavid, you ask this comicon specter if he might be the Ghost of Hockey Future.

He shakes his head and silently points forward.

Several children, all under nine years old, are playing hockey on a frozen pond. One in particular is a far better skater than their peers, and goes bar-down flawlessly on the makeshift aluminum pipe goal. As they celebrate, their eyes meet yours, and understanding flashes through your player's mind - this child will, in some mysterious metaphysical way beyond your comprehension, pick up your torch when you retire.

Your player has one chance to say something, something the child will carry with them as the words of their childhood hockey hero for their whole career. What will you say to the Ghost of Hockey Future, the star of tomorrow: your own next re-create?

Graphic Task: Draw your player giving a puck to a young fan.

Option 2:

Written Task: Does your player cross-train? Do you play other positions, other sports, or any non-hockey-related activity specifically to get better at hockey? If so, what and why? If you don't like talking about your player for these tasks, talk about cross-training for hockey in general.

Graphic Task: Draw your player playing a game or sport that is not hockey.

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Monday, March 11th at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only. If your player is S76 or S77, that's not you.

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Zerg - 03-04-2024

PT Pass

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - .Laser - 03-04-2024

Graj believes that he has met a child who could possibly be his long-lost son. He doesn't know when exactly he could have possibly had a son, and knows that statistically the odds are impossible, but he sees in the eyes of this child the same fierce, burning competitive desire that he saw in photos of himself at a similar age. He'd been watching the boy dominate his opponents for the past ten minutes, but only now had the boy seen him. Graj knows that he had a large number of season left to play, and knows that he will be not necessarily a hall of fame player but at the least a member of the hall of very good. But in this child, he sees so much more potential than that. He sees this child scoring the game-winning goal in overtime to send his team to the finals. He sees the child scoring a hat trick in game 7 of the finals and taking a stick to the jaw, only to keep playing while staining the ice red. He sees himself, and he sees a legend in the process of being born.

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Tesla - 03-04-2024

Option 2

Agent Tesla: Well as I stated in my last interview I do believe that cross-training is important to athletic success. Dave understandably plays both ice hockey and street hockey which is a degree of cross-training I would say, but he has also participated in soccer and lacrosse as I believe both sports have certain skills that would help develop his talents towards his primary sport.

Interviewer's second and third questions that have already been partially answered.

Agent Tesla: Interestingly enough he does do other positions somewhat in that regard as while he is a center in hockey he plays multiple positions in soccer. Although minimally at goalkeeper he has played a significant amount of defense the reason being is we both agree that getting into that mentality of how to read an offense has helped him learn better how to read and react as offense looking to score. Essentially by knowing how the defense should react in a given situation he is better able to capitalize on opportunities that they might very well present to him, and it has made him especially better at feinting. I tried to talk him into sticking with fencing to help with that more, but after I put thirteen holes in his vital organs in one match he begged me to switch to something else. After that we had him take up lacrosse to get better at handling a stick.

Interviewer cocks their head at the fencing story, but continues with the fourth question all the same.

Agent Tesla: Well one of the major benefits I have heard of with regards to cross-training is by developing muscles not necessarily integral to the sport in question they can provide some support to the ones used heavily by the sport in question to help prevent non contact injuries. I admit I have not done a deep dive to find out whether that has been proven scientifically, but it has worked for us anecdotally and that is good enough for me.

Code:
Word Count: 333

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - jacobcarson877 - 03-04-2024

Alright kid listen up, you can do whatever you want otherwise, but you must join the Carolina Kraken. They're simply too cool to avoid. They'll take care of you, and you'll be fine if you let them start you off. Maybe learn to be a decent shooter, goals are fun, and really help the team win. Or maybe be a goalie and stop some pucks, because not getting scored on helps you to not lose. Either way, pick something and be good at it. Be okay at other things, but have a thing that you're damn good at. People will remember that. And you want to be remembered, so do something worthy of it! But also take care of yourself and have some fun too. You won't have the motivation to be good at anything if you're not enjoying the point of getting there.

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Chevy - 03-04-2024

Code:
The next night, your player walks in a waking dream through a vague fog. An overweight plague doctor, who never speaks, guides you through the chill winter air. Suddenly remembering your encounter with sleep paralysis Connor McDavid, you ask this comicon specter if he might be the Ghost of Hockey Future.

He shakes his head and silently points forward.

Several children, all under nine years old, are playing hockey on a frozen pond. One in particular is a far better skater than their peers, and goes bar-down flawlessly on the makeshift aluminum pipe goal. As they celebrate, their eyes meet yours, and understanding flashes through your player's mind - this child will, in some mysterious metaphysical way beyond your comprehension, pick up your torch when you retire.

Your player has one chance to say something, something the child will carry with them as the words of their childhood hockey hero for their whole career. What will you say to the Ghost of Hockey Future, the star of tomorrow: your own next re-create?

It was more than an ethereal feeling looking at this plague doctor and watching these children on the ice, without a care in the world.  Having never experienced that as a young peanut, it felt...strange at first to not have any comparative memories to relate to, though it was definitely a joy to watch.  Some skated but couldn't stop.  Some couldn't be knocked over no matter how hard they tried.  One had a wicked slapshot that hit the goal one out of five times, but the one...there was one that was like he was straight up eating cake around the others.  It was as if he was born on to be on the ice and the stick was truly just an extension of his own hands.  The puck, gave in to his every whim and desire.  Ping, Pang, Pong!  Off the vertical pipes and cross-bar anytime he wanted.  Once we locked eyes, it felt strange that he could see me, but not the plague doctor. 

I felt myself starting to vanish as the child stopped and looked on quizzed, and the only thing I could think of saying was the same thing that was told to me when I started my own hockey journey:  "Make it count."

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Fluw - 03-04-2024

PT pass

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - swoosh - 03-04-2024

Graphic Task: Draw your player playing a game or sport that is not hockey.

Salami hitting a grand salami.

[Image: uxETGAV.jpeg]

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Jexter - 03-04-2024

Langston Harrison-Laurent looks out onto the frozen pond and sees a young player who easily stops in front him, eyes wide. Why does Langston feel old already? He’s 21 years old and he hasn’t even played in the SHL yet and has one more year in the J. Why is this little runt making him feel almost inadequate? He looks at the playmaking youth and says, “what is your name?” “Jill [redacted]” comes back a squeaky voice. “Well, Jill, when you grow older, make sure always enjoy the moment. You never know when the next goal will be, the next win or even when you have to hang up your skates. Love the feeling of skating, of playing and of all the friends you’ll make along the way.” She then looks at the Hawaiian Shirted man and says, “Wait are you already retiring?” Langston chuckles and says, “not yet, but if you ever end up on the Malamutes, let me know. And give Fluw hell for me.” “You shouldn’t swear, mister.”

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Vulfzilla - 03-04-2024

The only thing I really like to do is to work on the mental side of the game.  My physical attributes are already unstoppable and at this point, trying to train them would probably only get me injured.  My speed, my agilty, my hitting power, and shot power and accuracy are all top notch and I kindof just like to rest on my laurels and watch some Andy Griffith when I'm not at practice.  With that being said, the one thing that I do enjoy working on is the mental side of the game. I try really hard to train my brain for the art of war (on the ice) and the best way to do that, apart from reading Sun Tzu, is to play chess.  I'm currently a 206 in Blitz and a 331 in longer time formatted games.  I'm only 2000 tpe off Magnus Carlson, can you believe that? My favorite opening is the fried liver attack but I don't know how to do it.

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Rabidsponge21 - 03-04-2024

Cross sport training.

The best way to develop yourself is to hon skills that would be needed in other sports and help mold those into your hockey mind as well to develop things from a side you normally would not think to do. Hockey training has made a lot of major improvements over the years but being able to see things from a different light sometimes can help develop some skills in a way that other may not thought of. For example Mikkel trains hard during the off season by working with lacross professionals in wrist strength - both for stick handling and shooting. The slap shot is dying a quick death so a player needs to be able to shoot accurate more than anything now days and the lacrosse shot offers a new spin on that skill. Next is formula 1 - what could it offer? Again improved wrist and arm strength to turn the weighted wheels as well as the ability to train your neck to ensure you can make faster reaction times and have the extra neck strength to take all the charging hits you likely take in the modern hockey setting as refs don't call penalties when they need to.

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - JamesT - 03-04-2024

Code:
Written Task: Does your player cross-train? Do you play other positions, other sports, or any non-hockey-related activity specifically to get better at hockey? If so, what and why? If you don't like talking about your player for these tasks, talk about cross-training for hockey in general.

Luckily for me I was talking about cross fit training in last week's prompt so this will be familiar for me! Ben Jammin first heard about cross fit training from WWE superstar Seth Rollins back in the day and saw how great in shape Seth was (and still is to this day). To be in that kind of peak physical condition requires an intense workout regime and boy does cross fit match that statement. There are several workouts that Ben Jammin does for cross fit such as deadlifts, squats, box jumps, bouncing a heavy ball off the wall and catching it, rope climbing and finally Ben's favourite the ring muscle up (it's like being a gymnast). All of these exercises are brutal and exhausting to do but to keep up in peak physical condition, this is what Ben Jammin does to keep up with the top players in the SHL today. One day I hope to meet Seth Rollins so we can both cross train together and get some cross promotion between the SHL and the WWE. 

(177 words)

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Puppy - 03-04-2024

Ju-gong has never been to athletically inclined, despite clearly having natural talent for such activities. Common hobbies that help with goal tending extend simply to sewing and playing baduk, things that help with hand-eye and staying alert. That’s not to say the young Korean never had any interest in any other sports, he did play a few seasons of youth baseball while growing up after attending a professional game in Busan. He did quite well at both 2nd base and shortstop, probably the best player on his teams at the time. Still, standing out in the relentless sun in the humidity wasn’t exactly his idea of a good time, so the charm wore off rather quick. Perhaps he’s have been even more elite at catcher, given his skills at goalie, but wearing extra padding in all that heat simply sounds like agony in the worst way. Aside from hockey, the only thing Ju-gong does now that would add to his athletic ability is long walks in Quebec.

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Kimar - 03-04-2024

I over to the pond and watch the children play. One in particular reminds me a lot of myself. He's the only child there in goalie gear after all. While the kids are taking a break from playing I walk up to the kid and start to talk to him. "Hey kid, why the hell did you want to get pucks shot at you" I say. "uhm my favorite on the Malamutes is a goalie and I wanted to be just like him!". I tilt my head with curiosity "I just so happen to play for the Malamutes and I'm a goalie. Who's your favorite player?". The kid's eyes widen as he looks at me "NO WAY! ARE YOU SERIOUS?" he says. "Yup, I'm serious. Since you want to be like me when you are older let me share a bit of advice with you. Work hard 24/7. Teams love players with good work ethics, and people they can rely on." I turn around and start to walk away as the kid shouts "Thanks Jim Wen!" I turn around quickly "wait what n-no I'm, not Jim Wen, Im Karter Mendenhall" The kid looks disappointed as he realizes I was the other goalie on the Yukon Malamutes. I turn around, sigh, and walk back to my house to finally get some good sleep.

RE: S75 PT#4: Spooky Fat Guy - Figgy - 03-04-2024

Looking at Dan's next protege is a humbling experience for sure. If Dan could give this kid some advice in his pursuit of a professional hockey career, they need to obviously work hard and practice a lot. Being a professional athlete is obviously a lot of work and takes many hours of practice, working out and learning every aspect of the game that is needed. Now on the flip side, Dan thinks every professional athlete also needs to be humble. Sure to be a successful pro you need to have emense amounts of natural skill, but you need to realized that at the same time, being humble and not getting too cocky and full of themselves. No one likes someone that is full of themselves, remember where you came from and everything that you had to put into it to make it to where you have come. That to Dan would be the most important advice he could ever give to a young up and coming player.