Simulation Hockey League
Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=545)
+---- Thread: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement (/showthread.php?tid=137392)

Pages: 1 2

Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Nike - 06-10-2024

[Image: Chicago-min.png]

A TRIBUTE TO MAT SMITH

Fans file into the arena to catch opening night SHL hockey in Chicago. As the Syndicate are set to take on the San Francisco Pride in their home opener, the lights in the arena drop a few minutes before puck drop. The public dress announcer’s voice rings through the buzzing of the arena.

“Drafted 30th overall in the Season 56 SHL draft, a TWO TIME CHALLENGE CUP CHAMPION, tonight we arguably the greatest Syndicate player to ever put on the black and yellow, Mat Smith. Across 4 seasons in Quebec, Smith helped the Citadelles hoist yet another Four Star Cup. And after a few seasons filling in as call-up with the Chicago squad, Smith spent EIGHTEEN consecutive seasons with the Syndicate as part of the main roster. Amassing 950 starts and 583 wins, he is among the most decorated SHL goaltenders of all time.

On top of his Four Star Cup and two Challenge Cup Championships in Season 57, Mat is a 3-time 1st Team All Star, a 5-time gold medal winner (3 IIHF, 2 WJC), an SHL’s John McBride award winner for the SHL’s Best Goaltender in Season 64 and a 3-time Mike Honcho award winner.

And while his career and on-ice performance is among the greatest to ever do it in net, it was his presence within the organization that remains undeniable even today in Chicago. When he announced his intent to retire last season, it marked the end of an era for a storied, successful Chicago franchise. Mat brought a consistency and dedication to Chicago unlike anything the organization has ever seen. There are few players who have left such an indelible mark on such a remarkable franchise.

As we embark on our 31st season as an organization, there is no better player for us to celebrate. Please join me in welcoming the first jersey retirement banner to our rafters. The number 10 will forever be remembered for the dedication and leadership that Mat brought to Chicago. Today and everyday, we are thankful for all of the memories we shared with you, Mat.”

[Image: QTd3PmN.png]

@Matteo you have meant so much to Chicago. From all of us who have had the pleasure of being your teammate, thank you!
Your positive attitude and personality are infectious and permeates to every corner of the Chicago locker room. We are so lucky to have had you as a teammate, as our rock in nets, and as part of the core that made Chicago so special under our great leaders. You are without a doubt, the most deserving Syndicate for this recognition.
Thank you for your wonderful contributions to our team and your friendship every step of the way. I am thankful every day to have had an opportunity to play with you across two different players. We hope you will always remember that Chicago is your home and know that there is always a seat for you here. All of us are already prepared to celebrate your first-ballot Hall of Fame induction. Congratulations on what was an absolutely incredible career, Matteo.

Former Chicago GM, @JNH shared a few celebratory words in honor of our Matteo party:
What can't I say about Mat Smith. On the ice, the guy was a stalwart and an absolute blessing for Chicago. He had some big shoes to fill when he stepped in for Tibuk Soonika and he exceeded expectations. Chicago's been lucky to have incredible goaltending stability and it's in no small part thanks to his hard work over the years. He'll go down in SHL history when his career is over as one of the all time greats to tend the goal. Off the ice, his render is apt as he brings big golden retriever energy all the time. A super positive guy who somehow also made an absolutely banging angsty playlist. Chicago is what it is because of people like him and I'm super thankful for what he brings to the locker room.

Thought we would wrap with a few final words from the heart and soul of the Chicago franchise, @SDCore:

Mat Smith was a great goalie for Chicago, not just for longevity or for all wins he accumulated (which was the record, btw), but because he meant so much to the team. He wasn't just the goalie on the team, who decided so many important games, he was a leader in the LR day in and day out. We could always rely on him to win us a game and spark the team. He was such an integral part of the LR and team and the best player he could be. To go away from Mat as a player, Matteo as a user is one of the best humans I've ever been in contact with. He led us from an earlier start and always was a spark of joy. To this day my name in the league honors him and my name in the Chicago discord does as well. I've never met anyone who cared more about his team and his team cared about him.... MAT MAT MAT

:ChiLove: :ChiLove: :ChiLove: :ChiLove: :ChiLove: :ChiLove: :ChiLove: :ChiLove:

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - luke - 06-10-2024

well deserved!!!

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - leafsftw1967 - 06-10-2024

WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU MATTEO syndicate syndicate syndicate

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Caleb - 06-10-2024

LONG LIVE MATTEO

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - sliceruser - 06-10-2024

<3 matteo

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Matteo - 06-10-2024

wtf this is too nice, I feel so immensely lucky to have been drafted by Chicago way back in 2020, all these years winning together and joking with each other have been some of my favourite memories ever. Chicago is a special place thanks to the people who call it home <3 syndicate :turle

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - RAmenAmen - 06-10-2024

Greatest goaltender in SHL history. Congrats Matty!

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Puppy - 06-10-2024

Huge congrats, both awesome and deserved!

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - JNH - 06-10-2024

MAT MAT MAT MAT

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Bonk - 06-10-2024

He is quite a fellow.

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Lime - 06-10-2024

cutee

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - SDCore - 06-10-2024

Matt Matt Matt Matt

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Lime - 06-10-2024

06-10-2024, 09:52 PMSDCore Wrote: Matt Matt Matt Matt

idk u seem biased

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Keven - 06-10-2024

I feel so lucky to have played 4 J seasons and 8 SHL seasons alongside Mat Smith and extremely privileged to share LRs with you. Congrats on the jersey retirement!  Heart Heart Heart syndicate

RE: Honoring Mat Smith - Chicago's First Jersey Retirement - Gaia Mormont - 06-11-2024

Congrats on your retirement! The legend of you will linger for long!