Simulation Hockey League
S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Player Progression (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=66)
+---- Forum: PT Archive (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=561)
+---- Thread: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time (/showthread.php?tid=137755)

Pages: 1 2

S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - puolivalmiste - 07-15-2024

With one season already flying by, let's take a deep breath and step back for one second here.

Task: You just played out your very first season in the SMJHL to start a new chapter in your career. Overall, how would you say you performed in your rookie season? Did you meet expectations you set for yourself individually? What do you need to improve on for next season? Were there any glorious moments that will forever be enshrined in your memory? (150 words min.)

Finally, this will be the last regular SMJHL PT and starting from next season you will do tasks on SHL Player Progression forum instead, first one being mock draft for your SHL draft. But for next two weeks or so TPE checklist will also show you tasks you are not eligible yet, like Championship Week, IIHF Predictions and All-Star Week, you won’t get TPE even if you do them. Keep your eyes open for Post Season Bonanza on SMJHL Player Progression instead.

That said on behalf of the PT Team, I'd like to congratulate you all for completing the first season of hopefully many great ones. We wish you best of luck in your future careers!

You will receive 4 TPE for fulfilling all the requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, July 21st at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.

If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

Only S77 SMJHL rookies (S78 SHL draftees) are eligible for this task.
If your player is S79 SHL draftee (shown after name on portal), this is not for you.

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - luke - 07-15-2024

Pt pass

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - egregious - 07-15-2024

For a little while, Peter was tied for first-place on the assists leaderboard for SMJHL defencemen. As a blueliner obsessed with passing, uninterested in scoring and rather average at defending, this was a strong validation that he was on the right path as a rookie.

Somehow, he was also briefly on the leaderboard for power-play goals, which either meant he had untapped potential as a shooter, that goalies in the league are broadly incompetent, or that the engine the league uses is simply mysteriously uncaring about how players invest in their self-improvement.

Peter's first taste of the playoffs got him both his first series win and his first series loss. Enough to keep him hungry. Enough to be ready to take a bigger role on the team next season, and take a proper run at the assists leaderboard for defencemen. Go Citadelles! Let's win a couple more series this coming season!

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - Mongoose87 - 07-15-2024

I'm not going to dance around it: Elaina Beneski did not get off to a great start in the SMJHL. While 10 goals is not a travesty for a rookie, looking beyond that gets capital "U" ugly. Her -43 was tied for fourth worst in the league. Her CORSI for percentage was eighth worst in the league. Her goals for/60 was also eighth worst. Her 111 shots on was good for under 2 per game, a pretty low number for a player that styles herself as a shooter and a goal scorer. So, it can safely be said that the on- ice product needs work.

On the plus side, I think I had a good season. I haven't missed a single PT, and despite that, I'm not feeling like my place was demanding. That's a very good sign going forward. My first time around in the SHL, I went in full bore, and ultimately it was too much. I think the current setup demands a little less of a user than when I was around then, to be honest.

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - Segi - 07-15-2024

PT Pass

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - efischermann - 07-15-2024

Code:
Task: You just played out your very first season in the SMJHL to start a new chapter in your career. Overall, how would you say you performed in your rookie season? Did you meet expectations you set for yourself individually? What do you need to improve on for next season? Were there any glorious moments that will forever be enshrined in your memory? (150 words min.)

This is my first time creating a forward, so the most exciting thing was actually seeing my name on the scoresheet every once in a while. The season started great, came out of the gates flying. Things came back to earth a bit though, however considering the limited amount of ice time my player was getting, I am very happy with how well he did. There is a lot to build on for the coming season, and I am thinking he will get more ice time next year with a couple players leaving for the big leagues. At least that is the hope! Still developing into an offensive powerhouse that is not a liability in my own zone, but that is a work in progress. Never having developed a forward before, it might be a little trial and error before I really figure out what the best combination is. After the first season though, have to be happy with the way things went and how he is developing thus far.

170 words

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - Allegiant - 07-15-2024

There was a time where 45 in 60 games would look like a pretty solid number, but the current era of the SHL and SMJHL is a different place. Falling under a point per game as an offensive-minded forward can't be viewed as anything other than a middling year at best. While Weston Windsor did pass his own personal expectations for himself which were fairly low, he still didn't rise to the point of being a largely effective or even well-known player at the junior level, and probably didn't do much to raise his draft stock either.

While his focus as a playmaker was clearly established, he simply did not develop the rounded offensive game needed for Newfoundland to leverage him as a real threat. Furthermore, he saw no time on the power-play and very little on the penalty kill, and his face-off percentage was lacking at just 46.8%. For a rookie center who aimed for immediate success, none of that makes for a particularly positive display -- especially when the team fell in the first round of the playoffs.

The path forward for Windsor is clear, however: he needs to work on his shot and his puck control, stop giving the puck up, and start winning some face-offs. After that, more responsible play in the defensive end could enhance his overall playability.

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - Vrain - 07-15-2024

Spaceman Spiff's first season in the SMJHL was a tale of starting from the bottom and, through hard work and training, rise to just above the bottom. As a fresh rookie forward, Spiff played throughout the season on the 3rd line and the 2nd power play unit. Whether it was nerves or rough luck, It took a while for Spiff to find his feet. It wasn't until 21 games into the season for Spiff to score his first goal. Spiff kept working and started to find his way after that first goal and finished the season with 14 goals and 39 points. Ultimately a little disappointing for an offensively minded forward. Despite his owns lesser season, Spiff was overjoyed to see the rest of team's success on the ice and off the ice. A 5th place finish for a second year expansion team and an excellent locker room full of great people. What more could a new player ask for?

Code:
160 words

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - kdr - 07-15-2024

This rookie season Really did fly by, especially considering that I joined and got picked up on waivers 2/3rds through the season itself.  I didn't have many espectations, but I think I accounted pretty well for myself.  One thing I did learn is that defensive traits are very important even for an offensive winger.  In my 21 games played I got 14 points (5G, 9A), but I was a -2 overall.  Most amazingly 3 of my 5 goals were game winning goals which tied for 3rd on the team.  Not pad for a late arriving rookie.  I also did pretty well in our first round playoff matchup against NZ which we won 4-1.  In the first game I had 1G, 1A and a +1 even though it was the only game we lost.  I average around a 77 rating and was in the 80s for OGR most nights.  That didn't continue in the 2nd round when we got swept.  While my offense was ok, my defense seemed to bottom out against Van.  But that is now forgotten and we move on to next year.  It was a good introduction to the SHL thorugh the SMJHL.

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - Gyro_Hero - 07-16-2024

After my first season, I’ll be honest, I’m a little disappointed in myself - my stats aren’t where I’d hoped, especially relative to my teammates like @Otis Boudreaux and @"Popol”. It’s not like I’m discouraged by it or anything, I just hope to be much more impactful in the coming season - I think I owe it to the team, you know?

On a more impressive note, though, watching the stream of game 5 of the playoff series between us and the NBB is something I’ll always remember - the back and forth, the incredible work by the goalies, and the defence of both teams working their tails off - every time the buzzer went, it was electric. Usually, the sim gets skipped ahead, but for that game, not a second was skipped. Winning that game hooked me, and made me want to improve and learn more about the league in general - to improve and take on more responsibility - maybe even be a GM someday ♥️

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - Magenta - 07-16-2024

All things considered, Jett Labyrinth had a fine rookie season but there’s certainly room for improvement. 48 points in 66 games put him 5th in team scoring and 7th in rookie scoring, a respectable return from the 14th overall pick. Jett played big minutes for the Berserkers on the first line with an average TOI of 21:29, second amongst forwards on the team. Defensively, while his -13 plus/minus rating is certainly less than impressive, Jett played a big role on the top penalty kill unit that managed to be the fourth best in the league. He also boasted a pretty good faceoff percentage at 53.1%, while his overall faceoff wins of 575 put him 6th in the entire league.

What’s next for Jett? Developing a better all-around game and being more responsible in his own end, if he’s gonna be the top centre on Newfoundland he can’t have a negative plus/minus. Also, next year Jett should aim to be at least a point per game player, but this is certainly possible with more power play time. Overall, this season was a good starting point for Jett but there is still much to be improved in the coming years.

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - MattyIce - 07-16-2024

After having played with Ottawa as a DFA last season, I'd say it was a learning experience. You know, the who's who and what's what in Ottawa. I think I'm going to get drafted by a whole new team, so Ottawa brings me back with the third pick in the draft.

So I already felt integrated in the team. I found myself getting shuffled on the top two lines all season, and got over 50 points playing with some older skilled players. I found myself contributing to the team in a big way, but not too much on the scoresheet. Just playing well enough to get some big wins on our streaky team was adrenaline-pumping for sure, but I have so much more to improve on.

We will be getting some new players coming in as well in the coming season, so I have to be up to the task and improve almost everything.

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - Dextaria - 07-16-2024

This first season has been a blast for Ville Sato-Maki. Ultimately the goals were to be a contributing member of the locker room and I think Sato-Maki met that expectation, being named an alternate and being a positive factor in the Vancouver Whalers locker room. On the ice, Ville had 41 points in 66 games. Being built as a two-way forward, this is some good point totals and defensively he was the 3rd best plus/minus on the team, behind two defenders no less. On the faceoff circle, he held his own pretty well with a 52.6 faceoff percentage. Looking at blocks, hits, and takeaways, he wasn't the best at blocks so expecting that to increase maybe from where it sits at 35, hits could do better too, but Sato-Maki isn't much of a hitter. Lastly, the takeaways were at 50, second highest for forwards on the team. Overall, a solid rookie season that has led into a respectable playoff.

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - ConjureBones - 07-17-2024

Generally with how I've done this season... I'm actually pretty decently happy with how I've performed. I genuinely thought I was going to do terribly in my first season. I was a brand new player and brand new overall to the League. My confidence was in the absolute gutter coming in. Since I've gotten to Vancouver though, I've genuinely had a pretty decent run for a first time Goalie! My fellow players help a lot in regards to being such a supporting force for my Goalie to thrive. Overall though with my performance so far? I've exceeded my own expectations. Next season however, I'm going to focus on making a strong, brick wall of a defense and actually being genuinely active. So far I need to actually keep up with the Chirpers, mPT's, and PT's. Beyond that being active in the Locker Room would be huge. That's generally my goal for next season, is to increase my activity in the League and the Locker Room.

RE: S77 SMJHL PT #7 - One Season at a Time - GreyGooseVodka - 07-17-2024

Leo's numbers wont jump off the board at you. His game really started to shine if you showed up and watched him play. A solid young defenseman, capable of contributing some offense with smart passes out of the zone. A study frame with great possession skills and hockey IQ. Leo entered Newfoundland's line up and quickly found himself earning twenty or more minutes every night. For a first year player, playing important minutes versus the best players in junior hockey, it was a huge learning experience. You could see the confidence build over the year and start to see the flashes of potential. A strong skating defenseman that you can put on your first powerplay and send out on your first penalty kill. The big leagues call these guys minute eaters and Leo loved every second of being out on the ice for the Newfoundland faithful. Leo is focused on helping the Berserkers return to their former glory and bring a four star cup back to the island.