Simulation Hockey League
The Legend - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=545)
+---- Thread: The Legend (/showthread.php?tid=31722)

Pages: 1 2

- Toast - 02-18-2014

<div align="center">Jackson Turska: A True Chief

The 35th-overall pick in the SHL Entry Draft is something that GMs laugh about now. The SHL Drafts barely have enough talent for 20 good picks now. Back in Season Five though, the Minnesota Chiefs picked a player who would go on to change the future of the franchise.

Jackson Turska, a right wing who played for Kelowna at the time was looked at as someone who could give a little boost to the offense in Minnesota. Turska would go on to well exceed the expectations of everyone in the league.

The winger/defender for the Chiefs would go on to be one of the team’s biggest contributors through his Minnesota career. Despite a slow start Turska would find his place on the team as a leader and mentor. Let’s look back on the career that inspired multiple players who were looking to become team leaders.

[Image: dkeith4-300x256.jpg]
Turska makes his official debut with the Chiefs. One of many, many games.

Season 5
The first season for the Minnesota Chiefs was one to forget, both for the team and for Turska. The fact that Turska never let it discourage him through his rookie season though hinted at great things to come. Turska would only see two goals and three points through his 44 games through the season. He was a -23 throughout the season, one of the worst on the team, but he was the best when it came to his shot percentage. Taking only 10 shots through the season with two goals left him with a 16.67% shot success, which was enough to lead the team. Minnesota would close the season in last place but they were beginning to build on something.

Season 6
The SHL would bump up the season schedule to 60 games, making the schedule harder on the teams, but Minnesota would back down. Turska would see a boost in his production this season, this time around putting up 10 goals and 18 points through his 60 games. He would only be a -4 this time around and would start playing a little more defensively. He would dish out 71 hits that season as well as block 28 shots. One of the highest numbers out of the forwards. Minnesota’s efforts in the competitive East would guide them to the playoffs in just their second season of existence. The Chiefs would come oh so close, going the distance in the finals with the Los Angeles Panthers. Turska would be one of the few players with a minus in the playoffs, but his 8 points definitely helped Minnesota out throughout the playoffs. Turska was finding his place on the roster now.

Season 7
After realizing that 60 games was just a bit too much on their players, the SHL would decrease the season length to 50 games. The very established roster would see the notable additions of Saku Perhonen and rookie David Winter. Turska would find his place on the second line as the left winger. His production would see a slight boost despite the game reduction. This time around with 13 goals and 21 points. It would be Turska’s first season with a + result, being a +4. With teammates like Brodie Witzel putting up 57 points, it was assumed that Minnesota would make the playoffs, but unfortunately they would miss the playoffs by just two points.

[Image: Keith.jpg]
After getting a few seasons' experience under his belt, Turska was proving himself to be a very valuable two-way defender.

Season 8
In Season 8, Turska would get the call to become the team’s captain after showing excellent leadership skills in the locker room. This season would also be the first that Turska would play on defense, being partnered up with various defenders throughout the season. He would see time with Jon Doran, rookie Kyler Lange, and the man who would go on to be Minnesota’s most popular pairing, Sean Stevenson. Turska’s production wouldn’t match Season 7, this time only getting 19 points in 50 games, but he would see his greatest result in the +/- category with a +12. With the switch to defense of course, his defensive stats jumped up. Turska would block 61 shots that season and finish the season with 68 hits, the second highest amount across the team that season. Minnesota would once again make a trip to the playoffs, and under Turska’s leadership, set their sight on the championship.

The Chiefs would struggle in the playoffs along with Turska, who put up 2 assists over 12 games. Despite being eliminated by West Kendall in six games, Minnesota vowed to make sure they would return to playoffs.

Season 9
Season 9 would see Minnesota return to the playoffs once again and would also see the official beginning of the Turska-Stevenson pairing taking over the Chiefs. Turska found some consistency as a 20-point defender and this season in his 50 games would put up 19 assists and 21 points, establishing himself as a great playmaker for the Chiefs. Turska would also establish himself as one of the best two-way defenders, leading the Chiefs in shots blocked throughout the season with 57. Minnesota also dramatically increased their physical game. Turska’s 117 hits put him amongst the highest across the team. The Chiefs efforts all together were enough to get the team a spot in the playoffs once again.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs once again they would suffer a quick exit. This time at the hands of Hamilton in a series that went the distance to seven games. Turska and Stevenson would struggle to find success throughout the playoffs. Turska ended the series with just one assist, but a +3.

[Image: DuncanKeith-539x362.jpg]
Turska, having become a fan favourite by now, greets fans at the Minnesota home opener in Season 10

Season 10
Following yet another expansion in the SHL, the Chiefs found themselves atop the league as one of the most dominate franchises. Turska and Stevenson would become one of the best pairings in the league in terms of two-way tandems. Turska would see his best performance of his career, putting up 25 points throughout his 50 games. He would be second on the team in hits with 152 and be second to partner Stevenson in shots blocked putting up 54. The amazing performance by not only Turska, but the team overall, secured them a spot in the playoffs once again.

The Season 10 playoffs would go on to be remembered by Minnesota for a long time, as it would be the first time that the team would win the Challenge Cup! Despite three seven-game series, the Chiefs would go on to defeat the Winnipeg Jets in the final, and much of their success could be credited to Turska’s performance on defense through the series. Turska would put up 13 assists and 17 points over 21 games, making him the leader in points through all of the defenders. He would also lead the team in shots blocked with 24. Turska’s performance in these playoffs would establish him as one of the most consistent players the Chiefs had.

Season 11
Coming off a huge Challenge Cup win, the Chiefs and Turska were definitely in for a good season. That would be the case for the Chiefs, who would cruise to a dominate season, leading the league in points. Six players for the Chiefs would end up with a PPG average. Jackson Turska unfortunately would not be one of those players, but he would once again put up numbers consistent with his previous seasons. His 22 points through 50 games would be more than enough help to make sure that the Chiefs made the playoffs to defend their championship.

Despite the dominance Minnesota showed through the regular season, they wouldn’t be able to keep up the performance in the post-season. The pairing of Stevenson and Turska would struggle along with the rest of the team. Only two players on the team would be able to stay on pace with the point per game average. While Minnesota would once again be able to pull through in a seven-game series, but when it came to a series against long-time rivals the Hamilton Steelhawks, the Chiefs simply couldn’t pull through. Turska and the rest of the Chiefs would have to figure out how to get back on top.

[Image: keithnorris600.jpg]
Turska seen with his playoff MVP award from Season 12. He was regarded as the reason the Chiefs dominated their way to their second Challenge Cup.

Season 12
Season 12 would see the east division at its best, and the Chiefs were going to need to see a strong performance from their roster. Stevenson and Turska were happy to oblige to this. Turska, who established himself as a solid 20-point defender, would surprise the SHL this season by putting up a career-high of 29 assists and 38 points! Again Turska would be one of Minnesota’s strong points in terms of defense with 82 hits and 55 shots blocked. With strong performances by the offense and the defense taking it up a notch, Minnesota would once again book their ticket to the playoffs, being second only to Toronto this season.

Even in playoffs, Turska would continue to establish himself as one of the top players in the league this season. The Chiefs would open the playoffs against the team that eliminated last season, the Hamilton Steelhawks. Hamilton would be no match for Minnesota this time around due to dominate play and the Chiefs would advance in five games. In the Eastern Conference finals the Chiefs would battle the regular season leaders, the Toronto North Stars. While it seemed like Toronto had Minnesota beat, the Chiefs would win the series in seven games, advancing to their second finals in three seasons against the same opponents as the first final, the Winnipeg Jets. With continued dominance from Turska and Zach Miller, the Chiefs would go on to win in six games! Their second championship in three seasons! Turska’s 16 assists and 21 points in the Chief’s 18 games put him up there for playoffs MVP. His playoff performance would go down as one of the best by a defenseman in league history.

Season 13
There was a lot to live up to for both the Chiefs and Turska in Season 13, and change was right around the corner for the Chiefs franchise. Minnesota would once again make it to the playoffs, and Turska was proving himself to be an elite defenseman. Turska once again would put up high numbers, 29 assists and 37 points. Those numbers were just one point off from his performance the season before. Along with the likes of Niclas Wastlund, who was playing his final season, the Chiefs were regarded as having one of the most elite defensive cores in all of the league. Things in the playoffs were looking positive for the Chiefs. Would they be able to win it all again?

In a simple answer? No. Things were definitely looking up when the Chiefs swept long-time rivals Hamilton out of the playoffs. Their opponents in the second round, the Manhattan Rage, would end up eliminating them in five games, something that came as a surprise to many in the league. Turska would have a decent showing in the playoffs, putting up four points in 9 games, but it simply wasn’t enough to get the Chiefs through to another final. And sadly, this would be the last time Turska would see the playoffs with the Chiefs.

Season 14
Season 14 was the first full season Minnesota had with new GM Kurtis Hunter. Hunter made a few moves during the season that showed promise for the team, but things would not work out that way. In fact it would result in the first time that Minnesota missed the playoffs in several seasons and it would be one of the toughest seasons for Turska yet. Turska and Stevenson’s long time pairing, a connection that was on fire through the most recent seasons, just couldn’t get out of their rut. Turska would put up 18 points through 50 games but yet he stayed positive in the locker room, proving himself to be a role model for the rest of the Chiefs. Despite the failure of a season, Hunter vowed things would be different the following season.

[Image: DuncanKeith.jpg]
Turska saluting the crowd following the final home game in Season 14... his last as a Chief.

Season 15
In the off-season prior to Season 15, the unbelievable happened. Long-time Chief Jackson Turska would be moved to the West Kendall Platoon in what was believed to be a steal for West Kendall. GM Hunter made various moves that were questionable in what he described as a rebuilding phase that is still going to this day. That’s not important though, as Turska would go on to his new home in the warm sun with a smile on his face, ready to put on a show for the West Kendall fans. And that he would! Turska got similar minutes compared to his time with the Chiefs, but he would put up career-high numbers, finding a real chemistry with defensive partner, rookie Orion Rampage. Turska would finally see double digits in the goal column, putting up 10 goals that season along with 39 points. Turska’s defensive numbers would also jump as Turska proved to be a threat on both ends of the ice. His 143 hits would definitely get some attention and his 57 shots blocked was nothing to scoff at. With the amazing performance from their roster, West Kendall would return to the playoffs.

What a playoff run it would be for the Platoon, who would pull through and make it to the Finals, Turska’s third in five seasons! Turska would be placed on a pairing with Jim Lahey and put up numbers that was good enough to tie him for second in points totals across the team. Turska’s 14 assists and 17 points put him one off for a PPG average, and Turska was at it again with his amazing playoff performances. He would lead the defense with 67 hits and 33 shots blocked, keeping up his pace from the regular season, but unfortunately it wasn’t enough to lead the Platoon to a Challenge Cup. They faltered to the dominate Blizzard in five games.

Season 16
It was a sad day in the SHL when Turska announced that Season 16 would be his last in the league. That season Turska would play on the top pairing with John Grossman, and despite the Platoon’s roster not really seeming like anything special, it would be enough to get the Platoon to the playoffs once again. Turska’s pace would slow down, yet he would still put up 25 points across 50 games, staying above the average that he set earlier in his career. Turska would finish his final regular season showing that he was one of the most consistent defenders in the league, always staying around 20 points or completely excelling.

The West Kendall Platoon would threaten to make the finals once again after defeating the Wolfpack in seven games, but they would quickly be eliminated in the second round in four games by Toronto. Unfortunately Turska would not have a strong showing in the playoffs as he had in previous seasons, only putting up four points in 11 games, but the West Kendall crowd still gave him a standing ovation following his final game. Turska had made plenty of contributions to the league that deserved to be acknowledged.

Even with two seasons with the Platoon under his belt, Turska was still a Chief at heart, and earlier last week GM Hunter acquired Jackson Turska in a trade revolving Sergei Zherdev, announcing that he would have Turska retire as a Chief.

[Image: 7170034525_slide.jpg]
Turska returned to Minnesota to give his official farewell to the league.

Turska was a true leader to everyone in the Minnesota locker room, keeping spirits up no matter the situation. His consistency on the ice was something that defenders across the league dreamed of.

At a recent press conference, the Chiefs announced that they hired Turska on as a front office advisor. The Minnesota legend would not be leaving the Chiefs again so easily!

"Thank you Minnesota, for having me back once again. I am honored to be back in the place that took me as one of their own for most of my SHL career,” Turska said at the press conference. “I have been blessed to have been around some of the best players and coaches the SHL has ever seen, I would not be half the player I was if not for them. When I was drafted by the Chiefs in Season 5, it was the greatest feeling in the world to wear that Chiefs sweater. Now, as I stand here wearing that same sweater, the feeling has not changed a bit. I cannot begin to explain how thankful I am for the city of Minnesota and its fans.

“You all embraced me as a captain throughout most of my time as a Chief, in spite of all the incredible leaders I was lucky to play with. Every single teammate in Minnesota was more deserving than I of wearing that C. Winning those two cups meant everything to me, and I am sure my teammates feel the same way. Those guys were the reason you see those two banners hanging in the rafters today. Thank you to everyone who supported me throughout my career. You are the reason I am standing here today."

Thank you Jackson Turska. You were a pinnacle of the Minnesota franchise and it just would not have been right to see you retire without the Chiefs jersey on.

[Image: ep9It8M.png]</div>

Code:
Words: 2900 (250 to Banjo for the quote)
Pictures: 7

- Cuffy - 02-18-2014

Great career!
Hope to play with banjo again someday you were a great presence in the wkp lr and a good friend to all. Wish you luck with your new player bud Smile Cheers

- Banjo - 02-18-2014

Toast :wub: Thank you so much for writing this, means a lot. Really enjoyed going back through the seasons. I greatly appreciate it my friend. Chiefs

And thanks Cuff, it was great being your teammate! Cheers

- HabsFanFromOntario - 02-18-2014

YOU DIDN'T PUT MY QUOTE IN!!

- Toast - 02-18-2014

I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING. Pay HFFO for like 20 words guys

- Jesus The Mexican Way - 02-18-2014

Quote:Originally posted by HabsFanFromOntario@Feb 18 2014, 04:47 PM
YOU DIDN'T PUT MY QUOTE IN!!

He didnt put mine in either.

Turska is shower room towel whip champion

- Toast - 02-18-2014

Quote:Originally posted by Boon@Feb 18 2014, 06:57 PM

[Image: 8fc37cac2fa5dd5a4e086044fa699be6af0ed39f...a6c61c.jpg]

- Banjo - 02-18-2014

Quote:Originally posted by Boon@Feb 18 2014, 05:57 PM

I remember when I whipped Witzel so hard I killed him.

- Cyanide - 02-18-2014

Grata turska! BTW I could have sworn that I played with Turska last season

- bbp - 02-18-2014

i like the format Cheers

- Kel - 02-18-2014

Ilike Doran needs one now. I could write it. (need more mula) Wink

- 701 aka YUNG GUAP GOD - 02-18-2014

No disrespect to other defenseman who I have played with, but hands down my favorite defenseman to ever play with so far. Cheers

- CM Syckez - 02-19-2014

:wub: you Turska! You're a fantastic guy and were a great help to our Locker Room and roster! I hope to play with you again one day! I wish you the best of luck with Heisenberg!

- Banjo - 02-19-2014

Thank you everyone! :wub: Cheers

- 701 aka YUNG GUAP GOD - 02-19-2014

Quote:Originally posted by Banjo Kazooie@Feb 18 2014, 11:34 PM
Thank you everyone! :wub:&nbsp; Cheers
No, thank you for the great times :wub: