Simulation Hockey League
David Benson looks to turn heads - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=403)
+---- Thread: David Benson looks to turn heads (/showthread.php?tid=45465)

- GoodLeftUndone - 01-29-2015

Kitchener - His name is David Benson, and no you probably have not heard of him. Slated to be drafted in next year's SMJHL Draft, teams are just starting to catch wind of this name. Benson has spent his whole life in Kitchener, Ontario focusing on hockey. He's dramatically improved his game and scouts are starting to take notice.

"He's a good sized player and incredibly gifted as a skater at such a young age," his coach Mark Redding had to say of Benson after an afternoon practice. "He's a leader and works hard."

Here's our player profile on Benson

[Image: Vxmr1jT4.jpeg]

Player Information:
David Benson
RW/C - Shoots Right
6'0, 195 lbs
Kitchener, ON, Canada

Scouting Report:
Benson is an all-around offensive prototype. His strongest skill is his pure skating ability and ability to fly past defenders. A very adept passer and though not the most accurate shooter, is able to finish. A hard-worker and demonstrates possible leadership qualities. Needs to work on finishing his checks and using his size more to his advantage. If his skills develop further he can be a superstar in the SMJHL.

Personal Life:
Benson grew up and has played hockey in Kitchener all his life, travelling around the province in various tournaments. Started minor hockey at a later age of six with what coaches deemed as a natural talent and love for the game. Born within an athletically talented family, Benson' father George attended Michigan University where he was a Wide Receiver in NCAA College Football. His father would move back to Canada before meeting his mother Michèle (originally from Sweden) who was a track star at Laurier. He has two younger siblings, a brother (13) and sister (9) who are both also registered in minor hockey. Considered a role model at home to both and a scholar, Benson seems poised to make an impact.

An interview with Benson:
How does it feel to have all this recent interest in your talent?
It's a bit overwhelming but I'm excited to take the next step.

What happens if you go undrafted?
Oh boy, well I guess there's always that chance. I mean I hope teams see enough in me to draft me. Bottom line if that happens, I work harder. Try to prove them wrong even more. I won't give up on my dream.

Any preference to where you go?
In the end I just want to make an impact wherever I go and fit in. If I could pick anywhere I'd consider St. Louis, they have a well organized club. Like I said though, it doesn't matter where I go as long as I get a chance to show what I got.

You've been criticized for ability in the hitting department, thoughts?
Well I'm not going to deny that is a part of my game I need to work on. Coach has been working with me these past few weeks, but we also like to emphasize on the part of my game that I do well. I have a lot of work to do in a lot of departments still.

Any goals for your rookie season?
Not really. Just looking forward to playing at a higher level. Make a name for myself wherever I go.

Is there a particular SMJHL squad that you would prefer to play for/be drafted by?
Answered a question like this earlier. I've been doing some research on the six teams. I like the city of St. Louis and their pitch seems like I'd be a good fit. In the end it doesn't matter I just want to help a team win as best as I can and get to the SHL.

What are your expectations for your rookie year points wise?
I don't like put a number on it, but if I could eclipse 50 that would be swell. Like I said my focus is more on helping the team win, that's my ultimate goal.

Later in your career would you rather be a dependable role player for multiple teams, winning championships with multiple teams or being part of a core that 1 team drafts and trades around and possibly winning less championships than you would as a journeyman?
Good question. I don't give up on a team, wherever I go I'm in it for the long haul. Unless it is in the team's interest to send me elsewhere I would rather my legacy be defined by what I've done for the team that put their faith in me than multiple teams.

Where do you expect to grow the most this season during training? Any specific attribute?
Probably my offensive attributes. They're my core strength and I know they're still leagues away from SHL standards.

Where do you expect to be selected in the upcoming draft both SMJHL & SHL, please answer.
Honestly no real expectations here. SHL draft is still quite a ways away, so it isn't fully on my mind. Just focused on improving my game. First overall would always be nice haha. I'd like to think I have the skills to be a top pick.

- fgh - 01-29-2015

If you're up to taking more questions (gets you more words if you post it in your article):

Is there a particular SMJHL squad that you would prefer to play for/be drafted by?

Later in your career would you rather be a dependable role player for multiple teams, winning championships with multiple teams or being part of a core that 1 team drafts and trades around and possibly winning less championships than you would as a journeyman?

Where do you expect to grow the most this season during training? Any specific attribute?

- Ferdy - 01-29-2015

[Image: ZrqYuoD.gif]

STARTING GUUUUD.
By the way, do you need more questions?

- GoodLeftUndone - 01-29-2015

I'd be more than happy to take more questions and I can answer those for you!

Answered a question like this earlier. I've been doing some research on the six teams. I like the city of St. Louis and their pitch seems like I'd be a good fit. In the end it doesn't matter I just want to help a team win as best as I can and get to the SHL.

I don't like put a number on it, but if I could eclipse 50 that would be swell. Like I said my focus is more on helping the team win, that's my ultimate goal.

Good question. I don't give up on a team, wherever I go I'm in it for the long haul. Unless it is in the team's interest to send me elsewhere I would rather my legacy be defined by what I've done for the team that put their faith in me than multiple teams.

Probably my offensive attributes. They're my core strength and I know they're still leagues away from SHL standards.

- Ohtaay - 01-29-2015

Off to a good start man ! Keep it up !

- fgh - 01-29-2015

Quote:Originally posted by GoodLeftUndone@Jan 29 2015, 11:19 AM
I'd be more than happy to take more questions and I can answer those for you!

Put this in the OP for more money tbh

- Deenerys Targa-rene - 01-30-2015

GOAT Player

- Kel - 01-30-2015

Where do you expect to be selected in the upcoming draft both SMJHL & SHL, please answer.

- GoodLeftUndone - 01-30-2015

Quote:Originally posted by Jon@Jan 30 2015, 07:22 PM
Answered at bottom of article

- Deenerys Targa-rene - 01-30-2015

Quote:Originally posted by Jon@Jan 30 2015, 08:22 PM
TBH if he's not selected first overall the league's gone to shit

Benson. He's so hot right now.