Simulation Hockey League
Drafted in a lower round? Don't fret. - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=403)
+---- Thread: Drafted in a lower round? Don't fret. (/showthread.php?tid=61399)

- WannabeFinn - 02-26-2016

Some prospects see meteoric rises when they compare their SMJHL and SHL draft positions. Some prospects see relatively no change. But for some.. there's a huge fall. And it sucks. It isn't fun to think your player isn't highly thought of after you've put so much work into developing him or her. I would know because twice I was drafted 7th overall in the SMJHL and both times I saw a significant fall in my SHL draft position. The first time I fell all the way to 39th overall. I was a 4th round pick despite having a hugely successful rookie season (36 points in 40 games as a defenseman). It was enough of a disappointment that it played a part in me going inactive from the league for a 6 month span. When I returned to the league and recreated I saw the same thing happen. I fell from 7th overall in the SMJHL draft down to 20th in the SHL draft. Obviously the fall wasn't nearly the same, but the s24 draft wasn't as deep as the s20 draft, so it still felt similar. But I learned more about the league and learned more about why it was that I fell.

See, there are more things that go into your prospect's draft stock than what stats you rack up in the sim. You've got to be active (and stay active), you've got to contribute around the site, you've got to build your bank, and you've got to claim as much TPE as possible. I fell from 7th to 39th not because 36 points in 40 games as a defenseman was unimpressive. I fell that far because my TPE was in the low/mid-200s and my player was poor as fuck. I also learned that you can't take it poorly on a personal level. You can be a nice person, and the GM's can really like you as a forum user, but they might pass on you because you aren't the best fit in their eyes. And it's not necessarily a bad thing to be a poor fit with some teams. The GMs who recognize you as someone who will fit into the culture of their team will do their very best to select you.

Basically.. keep your chin up. It doesn't really matter where you get drafted. It matters what you do once you've been selected. See what it is you can improve on and ask for help where it's needed. Build that bank, gain that TPE, and have some fun in your new LR.

- Jepox - 02-26-2016

My player didn't get drafted into the SMJHL, so things can only get better, right?

- Jala - 02-26-2016

i was a 9th round pick into the SMJHL then I went 10th in the SHL. Also first player to hit 1000 TPE in my class. Draft position means nothing, just be #betterthanbojo

- WannabeFinn - 02-27-2016

Quote:Originally posted by jaladolar@Feb 26 2016, 10:57 PM
i was a 9th round pick into the SMJHL then I went 10th in the SHL. Also first player to hit 1000 TPE in my class. Draft position means nothing, just be #betterthanbojo
you and I had complete opposite experiences with the s20 draft :">

- .bojo - 02-27-2016

Quote:Originally posted by jaladolar@Feb 26 2016, 10:57 PM

well you're just an assssssssssssssssoladola.

- Jala - 02-27-2016

Quote:Originally posted by WannabeFinn@Feb 26 2016, 08:00 PM

you and I had complete opposite experiences with the s20 draft  :">
lol yeah

- Jala - 02-27-2016

Quote:Originally posted by Bojo@Feb 26 2016, 08:01 PM

well you're just an assssssssssssssssoladola.
Popcorn

- damienj10 - 02-27-2016

There is alot less pressure on ya that is for sure!

- .bojo - 02-27-2016

Quote:Originally posted by damienj10@Feb 26 2016, 11:36 PM
There is alot less pressure on ya that is for sure!

Exactly. I'm still waiting on this scrub to live up to the hype. :ph34r:

- damienj10 - 02-27-2016

Quote:Originally posted by Bojo@Feb 27 2016, 04:37 AM

Exactly. I'm still waiting on this scrub to live up to the hype.  :ph34r:

Maaaybe one day :lol:

- Reynolds - 02-27-2016

I was drafted 17th or 18th into the SHL (I forget because I didn't really care) and it really has no reflection on what I intend to do with Reynolds. Lofty expectations aren't there because I wasn't a first round talent, but they are there for me personally. Draft position only matters if you make it matter, otherwise it's just an order of positional need (and in the case of the SHL who knows you).