Simulation Hockey League
A little bit of everything... - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=403)
+---- Thread: A little bit of everything... (/showthread.php?tid=75039)

- Dweaves08 - 04-24-2017

Code:
First article bonus
Ready for grading
3091 words

Season in full swing...

I entered the SMJHL just about halfway through the season, I was playing beer league back in Switzerland when I was approached by one of the Scarecrows scouts. Immediately I said yes and joined the league. I was very excited to start my journey with my new team the St. Louis Scarecrows signing a $2M/1 year entry level contact. My first season in the SMJHL didn’t go quite as planned with only appearing in 38 games and putting up 12 points with very limited ice time on the 4th line, but you always have to start somewhere and I knew one day I would be able to log some higher minutes and hopefully get some power play time as that’s something I was always good at back in my previous league. After the St. Louis Scarecrows missed the playoffs for the second time in the last two seasons I knew I had to put in some extra training in the off season and hope to have a bigger impact for the team in S34. Something that made the offseason a little easier and felt less like training and more like hanging out with my best friend was training with my girlfriend Sophia Bennett who was an upcoming draftee for the SMJHL draft. We have been training together for the last couple seasons, but she finally decided to jump full board on the hockey wagon a couple years back and hasn’t looked back since, I knew she would be turning heads in this year’s draft.

Before her entry draft into the S34 SMJHL draft was my SHL draft which I was eligible for after spending the last season in juniors. I was definitely not expecting to go very high in the draft and I knew a lot of people were predicting that I would go late in the second round… myself included. That day was probably one of the most stressful days in my entire life, I remember being so nervous wanting to puke and then the next minute being so excited I had knots in my stomach, that day is so tough cause you have absolutely no idea where you are going to end up. I tried really hard this offseason especially a couple weeks before the draft to make a name for myself to increase my draft position and hopefully catch the attention from a couple general managers, prior to the draft I hadn’t been in contact with anybody from the SHL so I figured I would be going late second round... To my surprise I ended up hearing my name called 10th overall to the Los Angeles Panthers using their only 1st round pick. Everyone was very surprised by the pick and honestly I was to, however I was very honoured and I was very excited to start doubling up on training to prove that they didn’t make a mistake. A couple days after being draft I was able to sign my first SHL contract $2M/2 years, I couldn’t be happier.

Before I could get too excited about my own draft it was time for Sophia’s SMJHL draft and she was a very sought after rookie by many teams and definitely made a name for her by writing 3 articles in double media week and making herself known to the league. With her rookie class being the most active in a very long time it was anyone’s game going into draft day. When looking at the draft predictions it looked like Sophia was predicted to go in the 1st round but in the second half and of course I would have wanted her to go 5th overall to the Scarecrows so we could rip the league up together. Unfortunately but luckily for her that wasn’t the factor she ended up getting taken 2nd overall by the Vancouver Whalers which she was very happy that all her hard work had finally paid off and the team she landed on was at the top of her list. A couple days after the draft the general manager of the Whalers came forth offering Sophia a max rookie contract of $2M/1 year contract, that is when we knew life had changed and we were then rivals in the hockey world, we always had a competitive side between us everything was a competition and this had taken it to the next level.

The first test to our relationship was the preseason, that started shortly after the draft and I can say on behalf of both of our teams that it wasn’t the start that we were hoping for since both teams finished bottom two of the league. But one thing that kept us going was that we knew we had quite a few games coming up against each other and that we would be seeing a lot of each other. I’ll definitely be looking forward to those rest days.

<div align="center">#69 Matthew Auston- St. Louis Scarecrows
[Image: Auston-Matthews-2.jpg]
24 GP 8 Goals 6 Assists 14 Points +4 rating

Total TPE = 298

Checking: 41 1/2
Fighting: 28
Discipline: 62
Skating: 71
Strength: 61 1/2
Endurance: 70
Durability: 50
Puck Handling: 71
Face Offs: 61 1/2
Passing: 62
Scoring: 72
Defense: 70
Penalty Shot: 43</div>

I wasn’t mad at all with the point production after switching to the wing after playing centre all last season and surpassing my production from last season in only 24 games played. Not to be out done by Sophia however.

<div align="center">#9 Sophia Bennett- Vancouver Whalers
[Image: Feb28_Female.png]
24 GP 6 Goals 10 Assists 16 Points -4 rating

Total TPE = 231
Checking: 41
Fighting: 25
Discipline: 62
Skating: 70
Strength: 61
Endurance: 64
Durability: 50
Puck Handling: 64
Face Offs: 40
Passing: 62 1/2
Scoring: 74
Defense: 65
Penalty Shot: 40</div>

As a first year rookie stepping into the league that is very impressive and it shows that she can be a force in the elite league. Good thing it was just preseason and we both still had time to train before the season was to begin the next week. It’s always a hard thing playing on separate teams but we didn’t let that get in the way, but had to make a deal that we couldn’t hold anything that happened on the ice against each other. [laughs] “We will see how long that lasts”

With that being said we went back home for the week before the league was to start and managed to get in a couple last work outs together before packing up our bags and heading out our separate ways. It wasn’t long into the season before we would be playing against each other for the first time and it wasn’t just once the Crows faced off against the Whalers 8 times in the first 10 games of the season. The Crows managed to get 5 wins out of the 8 games which wasn’t a bad way to start the season for us; it put us at 2nd in the league behind the Prince George Firebirds. The Whalers didn’t have such a favourable start to the season losing their first 7 out of 8 games but with over half the roster being rookies it just took a little time to get their feet under them winning their last 4 games. When looking at the top 10 Rookie List the Whalers has 5 out of the top 10 on their team and leading the charge was Sophia. We will have to watch out for the Whalers over the next couple seasons.

Stats comparison for regular season thus far

<div align="center">Sophia Bennett- RW

12GP 7 G 8 A 15 P Even Rating</div>

Averaging over a point a game is very impressive for a rookie coming into the leading now we will have to watch and see if she can keep up this pace.

<div align="center">Matthew Auston- C/LW

13GP 7 G 6A 13 P +9 Rating</div>

With being moved to the wing this year it has taken a little bit of time to get used to it but I think we’ve found some good chemistry with our line. Some may even refer to us as the Matthews, Nylander & Hyman connection of the SMJHL.

This is going to be a very hard fought season and the standings for the start of the season show that with no one really pulling ahead of the pack.

<div align="center">1. Prince George Firebirds 9 W 2 L 2 OTL 20 P
2. St. Louis Scarecrows 8 W 4 L 1 OTL 17 P
3. Montreal Militia 8 W 5 L 0 OTL 16 P
4. Colorado Mammoths 6 W 3 L 4 OTL 16 P
5. Detroit Falcons 6 W 6 L 1 OTL 13 P
6. Kelowna Knights 5 W 6 L 3 OT 13 P
7. Vancouver Whalers 5 W 6 L 1 OTL 11 P
8. Halifax Raiders 5 W 7 L 1 OTL 11 P</div>

What do you think that the standings are going to end up like at the end of the season?

Auston: “Honestly I would be lying if I didn’t say that I could see the Scarecrows in the top two, with how much veteran presence there is on the team and how the chemistry has been throughout the team everyone seems to be clicking and that has shown in the start of the season. I honestly would be surprised if the Whalers made a run and were able to work their way up over the season and into the playoffs; however they are on a 4 game winning streak now and looking to build on it. They do have a lot of rookie but very skilled and fun to play against they will for sure be a threat in the upcoming seasons. I think it’s still really early in the season to speak about the standing too much so I’ll just leave it at that for now. “

How do you see yourself ending up in point’s production this season?

Auston: “Well… my individual points don’t matter as much as getting the 2 points for the team but I guess to get those 2 points the players have to put up points. I am very happy with my production thus far I’ve already passed my point production from last year in the first 13 games this season. I would have to give a lot of my credit to my line mates Crossfit Jesus and Joonas Rasmussen which are sitting 1 and 2 on the team for points.”

Where do you see yourself next season?

Auston: “Uhh well you know everyone wants to make their way up out of minors but I have seen to many players making the jump too soon and not getting the success they are looking for. Myself I would rather develop as long as I can in the minors so I can be a bigger impact once I make that jump and show the team that I was drafted by they didn’t use that pick for nothing. When it’s my time to go I will be ready and they will make that call.”

I’ve been hearing that you have a special chemistry on the ice with one specific player, would you like to elaborate?

Auston: “Well I don’t know if anyone else really knows about it but Crossfit and I kind of compare us to the real life Auston Matthews & William Nylander. Not just because our favorite team is the Toronto Maple Leafs but that it seems like every point that I have he has a point on it also and we aren’t about to let anything get in the way of that. “

How do you feel the rookies are contributing to the team?

Auston: “I think our rookies are stepping into their own and getting their legs under team the last couple games, they might not be putting up many points yet but it will come with time. I remember coming into the league when I was first signed as a rookie and I really didn’t have much success so I think they are doing great so far compared to how I was when I first started in the SMJHL. They are giving us the extra depth for the forwards and also back on the point logging solid minutes.”

Do you feel like since the start the season there has been a St. Louis and Vancouver rivalry?

Auston: “Well I mean when you play each other a million times to start the season there is going to be some sort of rivalry started. It’s playing a 7 game series in the playoffs of course there would be a rivalry started doesn’t help that Sophia is on the Whalers either since were so competitive. But now it doesn’t look like we play them again in the regular season so it might calm down a little bit unless we meet up in the playoffs. ”

What does it feel like playing against your girlfriend Sophia Bennett? Will either of you let up?

Auston: “It’s always a fun time and really the only time we get to see each other during the season minus a couple rest days here and there, but you still have to look at getting the two points. If anyone knows us we are the most competitive couple there is out there so to think that we would let up on each other in a hockey game is crazy. It would honestly be the total opposite we would player harder than ever to try and out do the other person. But to be completely honest I hope that one day we can play on the same team as that is one thing we have always talked about. ”

Where do you see Sophia Bennett being drafted into the SHL next year?

Auston: “Well I think that we all had really high expectations on her when it came around time for the SMJHL draft, we were hoping for sure she would end up going top 5 which ended up happening. I don’t think it’s unrealistic to say she will go top 10 in the SHL draft. She has made the start of the season count with putting up points in the early games, getting named an alternate captain for the young Whalers squad. I think that she will be on everyone’s radar going into the draft later in the summer. Leading rookie scorer always helps with people keeping an eye on you, however things change so you never really know.”

Next up is a little inside look on my drafted SHL team the Los Angeles Panthers.

The Panthers have had an incredible start to S34 tied at the top of their conference with 15 points along with Seattle Riot, but the Los Angeles Panthers do have two games in hand so you have to look at that. I think that they are going to be a force for a long time coming, they do have a pretty good prospect pool as well and I’m not saying that just because I am part of it. Ryan King <a href='index.php?showuser=1787' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>TML99</a> is helping lead the charge he has managed to post 12 points so far averaging over a point a game which is very impressive at such an elite level and I believe that he will keep this going all season long. I have nothing but good things to say about this guy he is also my general manager of the Scarecrows, the minor league that I play for. Also he has built a pretty good team and makes some sweet sigs. Sharing the point lead for Panthers is a very good player by the name of Kaapo Kekkonen, looking at the stats for this season so far I am seeing a very well rounded player, you will not find many players in the SHL that will be over a point per game but also able to throw 36 hits and be over 55% in the faceoff circle. Kekkonen is one of those players you want on your team and you’re lucky you’re not playing against them as they will make you pay physically and also put the puck in your net… very dangerous player all around. I am very excited to see how the season turns out for the Panthers; they do have a solid squad… their net minder Haas, has been putting up an outstanding 0.937 save percentage to start the season off leading the SHL. Then there is my boy Crutchfield rounding out the back end and logging a very impressive minutes averaging just over 25 per game thus far and putting up quite a few points for a defensemen at this level.

If you had to pick on player to model your game after on the Los Angeles Panthers who would it be and why?

Auston: “ Uh I would have to pick Kaapo Kekkonen, I like how Kekkonen’s game consisted of both parts of the ice. Very defensive focused player but also can throw that body around and not to mention that he has some good mitts and a good scoring touch mixed in there also. Maybe in couple years I will be able to make the jump to the SHL and play alongside Kekkonen and learn from some very solid veterans”

How do you think the Los Angeles Panthers will end up finishing this season?

Auston: “ Well I think they have the players and the talent to take it right to the end but as you all know you just have to make into the playoffs to have a chance at the cup. That being said I think that the Panthers have the team to go a long way in the playoffs with forwards like King, Kekkonen and Reynolds rounding out the top forwards for the start of the season. Then on the backend Crutchfield and Lindstrom logging those extra minutes and also putting up some points in the meantime. The panthers also have a killer net minder, Haas, there isn’t much more you can ask from a guy, stands on his head every night and always gives the team a chance to win. That is how championship teams are built. So in my opinion I can see them advancing pretty far this season and can hopefully take home the cup. ”

Closing it out I just would like to say that I am very honoured to be a part of both organizations, they are very well ran and going to be very good for the years to come.

Scarecrows Panthers

- crutch - 04-24-2017

[Image: LavishOrnateArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif]

the fucking legend himself

matthew auston #69 forever

- TML99 - 04-24-2017

Awesome stuff man! Scarecrows Panthers