Simulation Hockey League
Anze Kopitar - A Rant - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=403)
+---- Thread: Anze Kopitar - A Rant (/showthread.php?tid=75045)

Pages: 1 2

- Slobbin - 04-24-2017

<center>First Article / 3020 words</center>
Ready for Grading

C Anze Kopitar and his battle with the 2016 – ‘17 Season / Johnson Jack Presser. First article (Double Points)

I heard it over and over again from Los Angeles Kings fans: “Anze Kopitar isn’t that good.” He’s overrated. Past his prime. Taking up an unwarranted amount of cap space. Not good for the future. An albatross.

Hold your G**DAMN phone, sir.

The Situation:
A recently signed $80 million dollar, eight-year contract extension. That makes him the second highest paid center in the entire league, second only to Jonathan Toews. Kopitar played in 76 games this year, and totaled 12 goals, 40 assists, and 52 points, good for number 41 on the list of top performing centers this year in the NHL. The Kings missed the playoffs, and it wasn’t particularly close. Kopitar had been named Captain of the Kings at the start of the ’16-’17 offseason, replacing long-time fan favorite Dustin Brown. The year prior, the Kings had fell short of their lofty championship expectations, falling to the eventual Western Conference Champion San Jose Sharks in the first round.

The Perception:

Fresh of a lucrative contract signing and being named Captain, Kopitar looked set to lead the defensive stalwart Kings to another deep playoff run while competing for a second consecutive Selke trophy. The Kings were projected to compete for the Calder Cup, and seemed poised to be a thorn in every Western Conference Teams’ sides.

After the entire Kings lineup failed to score a single goal in the first three games of the season, expectations began to damper, and fingers crept from the dark corners of Staples Center, seeking a scapegoat. Everything surrounding Kopitar from the offseason placed an enormous spotlight on him, and he found himself on the receiving end of criticism from that point on.

Kopitar posted extremely sub-par numbers in the 16’ – 17’ season, which is the the main cause of the negative attention he has garnered. After leading the Kings in points in every season since ’07 – ’08, his production fell off remarkably and, unfortunately for Anze, an in extremely visible season. To put it in perspective, in the lockout season of ’12 – 13’, he scored 10 goals in 47 games. He managed 12 in 76 games this year. His assist production was not as noticeably low, but it was the lowest mark in that category since the ’08 – ’09 season. The numbers Kopitar put up this year are simply unacceptable by a player considered to be one of the few “true number one” centers in the league.

Anze appeared to have struggled mightily in his new role of Captain, evidenced by the sudden fallout in the Kings ability to win games. The team appeared lifeless at many points during the season, and it would not be unreasonable to consider former Head Coach Darryl Sutter’s (who was fired one day after the regular season unceremoniously concluded for the Kings) decision to remove RW Dustin Brown, who was Captain for the Kings recent Stanley Cup winning campaigns, from the position was a factor in his own removal.

Perhaps not as noticeable was the role Anze played in the lack of production, and seeming lack of chemistry, between #11 and two-year line mate RW Marion Gaborik, an accomplished, speedy sniper and multi-year 30 goal scorer. The two looked out of sync for the majority of the time they spent on the ice, and blame will fall on the Captain, perhaps rightfully so.

All of the above observations/opinions were communicated to myself by multiple people throughout the course of this year’s hard to watch regular season. What this group of casual hockey fans failed to do, however, was actually pay attention to anything happening on the ice and in the locker room.

The Reality:

Kopitar was an absolute monster this year, and if it weren’t for bad puck luck (yes, I am using that as a legitimate excuse). Let’s delve more into the statistics, shall we?

This year, Kopitar posted an abysmal shot percentage of 8%. Eight. Percent. The only single digit shooting percentage year in his entire career, while also taking the second fewest shots in his career. We will get into the fewest shots aspect in a little bit, but allow me to take a moment to reflect on what could have been. If he had shot just TWO percent better, that’s three more goals, easily enough to change three losses into wins, which could have been enough by itself to make the playoffs, and it still would have been his least accurate season. A statistical anomaly. Nothing more, nothing less. Now, if you had been watching, you would have seen all the heartbreaking posts Kopi dented with screamers. You might have witnessed for what I-SWEAR-FEELS-LIKE-THE-FIFTH-GAME-IN-A-ROW, ‘ol Racoon Eyes getting his stick on a puck with a wide open net in front of him off a rebound, only to have a desperate, diving defender get just BARELY enough to keep the shot out. You would have seen the gentle giant defer to his linemates when he could have taken the shot.

Oh yeah, his F**KIN linemates. Kopitar lined up with the following forwards for multiple games each – Andy Andreoff, Dustin Brown, Jeff Carter (special teams, desperation situations), Kyle Clifford, Nic Dowd, Marian Gaborik, Jarome Iginla (midseason acquisition), Trevor Lewis, Jordan Nolan, Tanner Person, Nick Shore, Tyler Toffoli, Devon Setoguchi (no longer with the team), Adrian Kempe. If you were curious as to how many forwards the Kings had on their roster this year, you don’t have to do too much more digging. Kopitar was the quintessential example of what it means to be a team player, and a Captain. He played with everyone, and generally not enough time to build/establish any real chemistry. Hell, he looked best when he was playing alongside Jarome Iginla, a trade deadline addition that gelled instantly with Kopitar. One thing is for certain, though. While top-notch production may not have been there for Kopitar and the smorgasbord of linemates he was paired with, every player certainly looked more capable just being alongside Kopi. And that was because…

Anze doesn’t make mistakes. On offense, he never settles. He is patient (his one true fault this season, admittedly) and seeks out that next opportunity. He is never afraid to battle in the opposing teams crease for a loose puck, and he wins those battles (didn’t score much off of them this year, I get it, but he won the damn battles most of the time.) He rarely turns the puck over. He plays incredible positional defense. He uses his large frame about as well as you could ask anyone to, moving players off the puck along the boards, keeping players off balance, and making sure players aren’t spending too much in front of his goalie.

Don’t let me forget that world-class goalie Jonathan Quick was hurt from the first period of the first . game of the season up until March, when the playoff picture had all but been decided. Peter Budaj played incredible in net, all things considered, but people often don’t site the Kings excellent defense (1st in the league in shots against) that made Budaj’s job as easy as possible. The Kings are a totally different team with Quick in net, and are free to not play so tight, opening up the ice a bit and taking a few more chances, because #32 is in net, ready to scorpion kick the next puck that comes his way over the boards.

The Kings final defensive pairings included 2 rookies. Why did I just type that and make you read it, you ask? Think about this – Kopitar didn’t “accidentally” take the second lowest amount of shots in his career. Budaj in net, young defensivemen behind him, and lack of chemistry with line mates very likely created a sense of responsibility within Kopi to not put himself in a position where he was unable to get back in time to prevent an odd-man rush. There were so many times this year when I was watching Kopitar skate the puck around and opt to either shoot a weak wrister into the opposing goalie’s pads or pass when he could attack, and the answer is defense. Not putting the younger players on an island, and not asking Budaj to do too much. A true Captain, capable of sacrificing his own statistical aspirations for the greater good of the team. A leader, a role model, and an inspiration to the rest of the Kings players.

Oh, did I mention he spent pretty much the entire year playing with a pretty nasty wrist injury? Because that’s a thing that happened.

Conclusion:

Kopitar is a world-class player, a generational talent, and one of the best two-way players in the league today. He is an unselfish leader, a gifted playmaker with a defense-first mindset, and the winner of two of the last six years Stanley Cups. He is 29 years old, has his financial situation set, and just struggled through what was probably the most difficult season of his career. The way I see it, Kopi had one of the best seasons of his career this year. Hopefully you weren’t unfortunate enough to have missed it.

Meet Johnson “JJ” Jack

Now, many of you may be wondering what in the hell this has to do with the SHL. Well, my name is Johnson “JJ” Jack, and I play Left Defenseman on the up & coming SMHJL Vancouver Whalers. If you couldn’t tell by my article, I appreciate the unpopular traits of a great hockey player. The nitty gritty, cerebral intangibles that the NHL is moving away from. That’s what I bring to the table. Kopitar is a championship winner, and while he may not have been personally awarded for those championship runs outside of the title of champion, he was EASILY the best player on the ice (sans Quickie in ’11-’12, that was ridiculous). His success isn’t predicated on putting the puck in the net. Which is what I am going to strive for. I want to be that player that brings impenetrable defense to the table, allowing my wingers and fellow defensive pairing mate to play aggressive knowing that I’m behind them to clean anything and everything up. I want to be a player that people hate to play against, just like Kopi.

I think it goes without saying that my offensive prowess will never reach the elite level that Kopitar is capable of playing at. His ability to snipe either corner of the net at will is something I will never match. My scoring ability as always been described by coaches/scouts as, “If it happens, it’s a plus.” And I’m perfectly fine knowing that I will never lead my team in goals scored. Anze’s prowess on the defensive side of the ice is something I hope to match, if not surpass. His defensive awareness is unmatched in the NHL today by other centers, and the fact that he works each and every day on his defensive skill set is obvious when you watch him play.

I want to always be in the right place. I want to be that guy that when the opposition has a two on one break and I’m the lone man back, I want my goalie to be completely comfortable knowing that the pass will be taken away and he will be able to fully concentrate on the puck handler’s shot (one of the most underrated defensive abilities in the game today in my opinion).

Kopitar is deceptively fast. His skating stride is mesmerizing in that you have no idea how fast he’s going at times. He looks so SLOW, and at times I find myself questioning his speed. And then, he’s there. In the right spot. Before whatever it is that he saw developing come to fruition. And he makes the play. I want to be one of the fastest players in the league. That will further enhance my ability to get there first, and stop those pesky speedsters who are wreaking havoc on teams’ defensive plans. When teams don’t carry puck into the zone and decide to dump and chase, I want the ability to outskate everyone and reach the puck first, ending their offensive zone time before it really even started.

I am striving to perfect my passing ability day in, day out. Every time I am afforded time with the Training Staff to work on things, I will allot some time to improving my breakout passes, my D to D passes, and my defensive zone passes. A dirty breakout pass can leave the defense flailing, drawing penalties or allowing that forward to bury the puck, the goaltender is only worry. Passes near the offensive zone blue line are some of the most dangerous passes to make, and when I get to the elite levels of competition, I want to be ready for that Kopi like center-man who is chomping at the bit to deflect one of those passes and streak for the other side of the ice. I’ve been working on putting a little sauce on the puck, getting air under it to decrease the opposition’s chances to steal one of those risky, but rewarding passes. Finally, and what I believe to be most importantly, is passing when I get the puck in our defensive zone. One mistake here and your goalie is going to have to stand on his head to get himself out of the situation you just put him in. And I aim to never put my team in a situation where the puck leaves my stick and finds the back of our net.

Most of all, I want to be humble like Anze. Never one to seek the spotlight, always doing the little things, the dirty work, and when called upon, I get the job done. An unselfish, defense-first leader, who puts the needs of the team in front of his own at all times, is who I want to be.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for listening! I will be taking any and all questions and answering them in a timely manner.

First questions come from Kaisonious, Vancouver Whalers General Manager

What made you choose Vancouver over some of the other attractive destinations in the SMJHL?

Vancouver’s GM contacted me and explained that the team was very young (and hoped to get younger by signing me) and was looking to offer me unmatched minutes in my first season. While I appreciate the other offers, Vancouver just fit almost perfectly with what I was looking for.

What can the league expect from you in your first season?

Growth. My expectations for myself are realistic. I’m looking to find my place, make the adjustments, and improve. My biggest concern is improving, because I am not satisfied (and hopefully never will be) with where I am in terms of my abilities. My potential, on the other hand, is a different story. My expectations for what I will become are not tempered in the slightest, and my goals are lofty, but I am putting my nose to the grindstone in the first season.

What are some of your goals you have for yourself coming into the season?

I want to help the team win games, simple as that. I’m hoping to given more and more ice time as the season progresses, and establish myself as a top D-Man on the Whalers. If you were to ask in terms of production, I just don’t want to end up on the receiving end of highlight reel dirty deke for the game losing goal. I want to stay home, get in the way, and be disruptive, and help my team clear the zone. Just do my part, basically, is what my goals are. I still need to develop, and am cognizant of that, so I just hope to learn.

Any front runners for a preferred SHL team when it comes draft time?

I haven’t thought that far ahead, honestly. It’s a blessing to be where I am already. I don’t have a preference where I end up going, as long as I am a positive contributor throughout my career, that will be more than enough to satisfy me. While everyone likes to play for a winning team, I am not a point in my career where I am concerned too much about losing as I am about developing and establishing chemistry with the players around me. So, in short, I don’t have a preference.

The second set of questions come from goilers

What are you most excited about since singing with the Vancouver Whalers?

I’m excited most about the opportunity to establish myself as a positive member in this league, and the Whalers are graciously providing me the opportunity to do so. I feel blessed to have received many offers, especially coming into this league as guaranteed minus producer in the beginning. The Whalers saw something in me that sparked their interest and led to them offering me substantial minutes, something that I am sure will lead to me having many chances to show what I am capable of.

If you could compare yourself to a current player in the NHL, who would it be and why?

I would compare myself to Paul LaDue, rookie defenseman of the Los Angeles Kings. I have been following him since he was called up from the Ontario Reign mid-season, and he has had a big impact. As a defensive minded player, I appreciate the little things players do on the ice, most notably, body positioning on defense. LaDue is a smaller player, but he uses every bit of leverage he can get to establish his body on the puck handler in the defensive zone, and if people watched enough, they know LaDue rarely makes mistakes. LaDue failed to score a goal in his first set of NHL games, but man, did he have an impact. He has great vision on the offensive side of the puck as well, setting up teammates constantly. I look forward to watching him develop, and I hope to model my defensive game after his.

- fgh - 04-24-2017

I'm not entirely sure if you're going to get paid for this, but I truly enjoyed the piece! I've never known whether to love or hate Kopi, so this is cool to see someone that loves him defend him.

- JKortesi81 - 04-24-2017

I love Anze. Only non-Sabres player jersey I own. Go Kings Go indeed.

- HabsFanFromOntario - 04-24-2017

Yeah, this is more of a discussion topic.

- Ghost - 04-24-2017

Quote:Originally posted by HabsFanFromOntario@Apr 24 2017, 07:18 AM
Yeah, this is more of a discussion topic.

Maybe have an exception for a guy who created yesterday and would have no real knowledge of the SHL?

- Grapehead - 04-24-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Kaisonious@Apr 24 2017, 10:30 AM

Maybe have an exception for a guy who created yesterday and would have no real knowledge of the SHL?
I've seen people post articles about the SHL the day they joined. There's no reason to pay this guy for talking about the NHL even if he's new.

That being said this was a really good writeup <a href='index.php?showuser=2607' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Slobbin</a> and I look forward to pieces you write about your player and the league.

- ztevans - 04-24-2017

I mean, we've paid more money for less relevant podcasts. Not that the robot uprising isn't a real threat that deserves our attention.

- 701 aka YUNG GUAP GOD - 04-24-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Kaisonious@Apr 24 2017, 09:30 AM

So now we are just gunna let people make media about anything if they just join?

This will be fun :lol:

- ztevans - 04-24-2017

Quote:Originally posted by 701 aka YUNG GUAP GOD@Apr 24 2017, 09:56 AM

So now we are just gunna let people make media about anything if they just join?

This will be fun&nbsp; :lol:

It wouldn't be the Twilight fanfic we need, but the one we deserve.

- 701 aka YUNG GUAP GOD - 04-24-2017

Quote:Originally posted by ztevans@Apr 24 2017, 09:57 AM

It wouldn't be the Twilight fanfic we need, but the one we deserve.
I know that GoB wishes he joined this site about now, he has many stories with many words Smile)

- Grapehead - 04-24-2017

Quote:Originally posted by ztevans@Apr 24 2017, 10:49 AM
I mean, we've paid more money for less relevant podcasts. Not that the robot uprising isn't a real threat that deserves our attention.
Holy shit, Vas got paid for that??? Smile)

- ztevans - 04-24-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Grapehead@Apr 24 2017, 11:21 AM

Holy shit, Vas got paid for that??? Smile)

Sure fucking did!

Not that I am suggesting we use that as precedent in this case. Please God no. But it happened, and there's nothing we can do about it or the 30 minutes I lost hoping it was a practical joke.

- Slobbin - 04-24-2017

Glad to see some people enjoyed the read. I could certainly tie this into the SHL a lot more, if that would help.

- fgh - 04-24-2017

Quote:Originally posted by Slobbin@Apr 24 2017, 10:27 AM
Glad to see some people enjoyed the read. I could certainly tie this into the SHL a lot more, if that would help.

Please do Smile make it a comparison to what you want your player to be and it could be a great cross-over piece

- dandydoodle - 04-24-2017

I got moneys for my post-apocalyptic story. I was going to keep doing more of it but didnt know I might not get moneys for it.