Simulation Hockey League
Not That Famous - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SMJHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=403)
+---- Thread: Not That Famous (/showthread.php?tid=78058)

- bluesfan55 - 08-06-2017

Code:
ready for grading

I was never really that popular at school, as everyone knew me as that smart kid who went to college already. Yeah, I'm already a college grad at 17. I always paid attention in class, but I always felt more comfortable on the ice. My dad, Ralph, was a hockey player, and he literally bled orange and black. He told me stories about his career and how it abruptly ended. It went like this: "I was known as a good prospect, son. In fact, I played for the Kamloops Blazers in the WHL, and led the league in scoring in 1995. By then, I was a Flyers prospect, as they had drafted me 62nd overall in the 1994 NHL Draft. We then hosted the Memorial Cup and won, and after that I won a spot as the second-line right wing for the 1996-1997 season. I won the Calder Trophy that season as we beat the Red Wings in 7 in the Stanley Cup Final. The next season, in a game against Detroit, Bob Probert hit me really hard, and I tore my ACL. After that, I never played hockey again." I was determined to make it professionally after that story, and I played hockey from the age of 5. I was a natural, as I seemed to had inherited my father's skills. After starring on multiple teams as a youngster, I declared for the SMJHL Draft after my junior year of high school.

I declared late, so I didn't get to talk to a lot of general managers, except for St. Louis. My mom is from there, so I had always wanted to play for the Scarecrows. They drafted me 40th overall in that draft, and I wasn't really heralded as a good prospect. I struggled throughout the first 10 or so games of the season (after all I was a rookie), but started to pick it up around halfway through the season. I finally scored in a game against the Vancouver Whalers, and I scored a shootout winner not soon after, but we hit a cold streak. However, we picked it up just in time for the playoffs. We played the Colorado Mammoths, who beat us in seven games, but I had some good performances, and I scored my first playoff goal in game five. After the playoffs, I got ready for the draft.

I contacted some general managers and asked them some questions. and I was generally interested in almost every team. My stock wasn't that bad (late second round) for a rookie who only put up one point that season. However, on draft night, I slipped. I watched other Scarecrows (Bitties, Augustus, Paige, Jakobsen, Cuddles) taken before me before Portland took me 30th. I was completely blindsided. I didn't really talk to any member of their front office, and I was expecting Hamilton to take me. Yet, Portland took me, and a few days later I signed my entry-level contract worth $3 million for the S36 season. It's like a "if you're good enough, we'll keep you" deal, and I'm hoping my play this season warrants a contract extension.

Sometimes I walk the streets of St. Louis on days when we don't have games. No one recognizes me, except for the most hardcore Scarecrows fans. I actually like not being famous, as it gives you anonymity when you go out. Even when me and my roommate Finn Jakobsen go out to dinner, no one recognizes us. They care more about players like Louie Garrett, Tigole Bitties, Roman Augustus, and Jack Hansen. The city loves the team, and we love the city, but most of the fans care more about the stars of the team than the younger players like me. I don't mind being not that famous, but when I break out as people think I will this season, it'll all change,

Scarecrows Scarecrows :admirals: :admirals:

- Wally - 08-06-2017

<a href='index.php?showuser=2724' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>bluesfan55</a> <3 awesome read!

- ontanis - 08-06-2017

Great read! Don't worry, you'll get your chance to shine, my man.

- bluesfan55 - 08-06-2017

Quote:Originally posted by ontanis@Aug 6 2017, 09:22 AM
Great read! Don't worry, you'll get your chance to shine, my man.

Thanks! Your future is bright too