Simulation Hockey League
End of the Line - Pierre-Luc Laflamme - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=545)
+---- Thread: End of the Line - Pierre-Luc Laflamme (/showthread.php?tid=85727)

Pages: 1 2

- Dmoushey_31 - 05-08-2018

<div align="center">Pierre-Luc Laflamme - Retirement Announcement</div>
Alright SHL, it’s finally time to hang up the skates. It’s been something I’ve been debating on doing for some time now and it’s no secret I’m not nearly as active as I once was.

<div align="center"> Goal Goal Goal
"Effective immediately, after having just won his 2nd career Challenge Cup,
Pierre-Luc Laflamme is retiring after 19 seasons in the SHL."
</div>

*Fair warning: this is going to be a long-winded article highlighting Laflamme’s career, status, teams and teammates, my small roles here, personal stuff, and is essentially my goodbye to the SHL.

I remember how I came across this league, which was this first sim league I was ever a part of. I had no idea wtf this place was or how it worked. I was in an NHL14 xbox EA forum trying to sell off my ultimate team and someone had messaged me about this simulation hockey league. That someone was @Mook. I created Pierre-Luc Laflamme on Nov. 15th, 2014. I quickly learned how to make media, earn TPE, update attributes, etc… all the basic stuff. I was working a boring 8-5 desk job and liked that I could have some kind of an outlet while still sitting at my desk that also revolved around my favorite sport.

<div align="center">Whalers SMJHL Whalers</div>
<div align="center">[Image: tumblr_p2y1reRy2r1tmupmbo1_540.gif]
Laflamme preparing for first SMJHL game</div>

Laflamme started his career off by being selected by the Vancouver Whalers with the 10th overall pick in the S21 SMJHL Draft. After an average season statistically, but earning every TPE possible, Laflamme earned both the Matthew Ekblad Award and Zach Miller Trophy. He was drafted by the Toronto North Stars with the 2nd overall pick, after defenseman Mariusz Kwik, who was selected by the Panthers at number 1. (He went inactive pretty quickly and burned out and I try to remind @Wasty about it as often as possible).

<div align="center"> Stars Toronto North Stars Stars

[Image: GlossyPlayfulDuckbillcat.gif]
PLL had to quickly adjust to the SHL as a true rookie</div>

Laflamme was drafted by the struggling Toronto North Stars. Essentially he was selected as a start to the rebuild, along with goaltender Mark Harter @[Mark H] and AJ Willison, all in the first round. He had a modest season as he was thrust into a Top-6 Role as a true rookie. There are good things and bad things about being a true rookie and I realize that it doesn’t happen much anymore. It’s nice to be the start of a rebuild and playing a lot of minutes. Looking back, my mindset was just to get Laflamme as good as possible and as quickly as possible. Although I will say it was tough to not make the All-Rookie Team, Rookie of the Year Trophy, etc… due to playing with little TPE, in Toronto and other rookies having marinated in minors, but I did it because that’s what Laflamme was drafted to do.

His numbers would rise in every category for the first 4 years of his SHL career, going from 13 points in S21 to 49 points in S25. In S25, he received the Aidan Richan Trophy for most improved player of the year. During that time, Toronto made the playoffs once in S24, but we were eliminated in the first round. The 2nd half of Laflamme’s 8-year stint would start to show the payoff of a rebuild as he was putting up solid numbers on the 1st line. He would average 44 points a season between S26 and S29, earning career highs for goals (25) and points (52). The North Stars made it to the playoffs each of those four seasons, however failed to win a Challenge Cup and continued the at-time “curse”. During my time in Toronto, I was able to help re-brand the team with new jerseys and a new logo with the help of @Brandon. I want to shout out/thank/acknowledge a few people from my stay in Toronto, including @JNH for drafting me, @[Count Chocula], @raymond3000 @Nike, @Narconis and all the people I played with over Laflamme’s 8 year career there. I wish we could have broken the curse together!

<div align="center"> Platoon West Kendall Platoon Platoon </div>
<div align="center">[Image: tumblr_nvyl3oDlld1qlcqzmo1_500.gif]
PLL signed the biggest contract in history to play for the Platoon</div>

Laflamme stepped away from the North Stars and into free agency for the first time in his career after setting career highs in S29. As a highly sought after free agent, Laflamme was able to secure a one-year, $22mil contract with the West Kendall Platoon, the biggest contract ever given in the SHL at the time.

WKP had a great season and a lengthy playoff run, however fell short of a Challenge Cup. Laflamme put up low regular season numbers in comparison to his prior season and ultimately never exactly adjusted with his new lineup. Laflamme would again test free agency after S30 after putting up 13 points in 13 playoff games. I had a great time in WKP and consider it to be a high-class organization. Thank you to @bojo, @r1c3bowl22 and everyone I played with in West Kendall.

<div align="center">Dragons Calgary Dragons Dragons</div>
<div align="center">[Image: j98QDM.gif]
Pierre-Luc won 2 Challenge Cups with the Dragons</div>

PLL would sign with his 3rd and last team of his SHL career in the S30 off-season. Laflamme wanted to play in the West after spending his whole career in the East. He was still without a cup and the Calgary Dragons were and still are a perennial Cup contender, plus I had heard nothing but good things about the GM, so it seemed like an easy decision.

Laflamme would spend the next 10 seasons in Calgary, making the playoffs 9 times. He hit a career high in hits with 141 in S32 as he had earned more of a physical role. His time in the SHL paid off when the Calgary Dragons won the Challenge Cup in S32, defeating the Manhattan Rage in 5 games. He played a big role in those playoffs, earning 9 goals and 8 assists in 16 games. Calgary would go onto the finals again in S33 but unfortunately lose in 6 games to the New England Wolfpack. The Dragons missed the playoffs in S34 but followed it up with winning the President’s Trophy in S35 and S36. Laflamme made a position switch to defense in S37, as it filled a team need and his build made that of a two-way defenseman. Again, part of why Laflamme kept playing and why I stayed semi-active is because of the LR and management. S40 just ended as Laflamme adds a 2nd Cup to the trophy rack. I am incredibly grateful for the Calgary Dragons organization, from top to bottom, GM to head to players. @Steelhead77 is a top-tier GM and person. I had the pleasure of playing with great players from that of @Ballerstorm, @[Alex mack], @Wongy @jkortesi and more.

<div align="center">Czechoslovakia IIHF – Czechoslovakia Czechoslovakia</div>

Laflamme transferred into Czechoslovakia in his first season, mainly because he would get immediate playing time and attempted to bring others in to make a run at a Gold medal. I was named head coach in S25 and PLL was able to grab a silver medal in both S26 and S32 (No small feat for a team like Czech…who still should really be Czech Republic). I’m really proud of the way that team worked out and had the help of a bunch of people, @Samee, @artemis, @c00kies, @Jala, @Tylar, @andybj and my bud @Slappydoodle. I enjoyed making lines and learning how STHS worked which helped me to my next stop.

<div align="center">Mammoths Colorado Mammoths Mammoths</div>

I had put in to be GM of one of the new expansion team in the SMJHL in S25. My presentation was pretty damn flawless but plenty of people had been around longer and deserved a shot a team. I didn’t get my own team, however I was able to Co-GM with @ThatDamnWalrus. We were able to win the Four Star Cup two years later in S27 and I’d like to think I was able help some new guys and see them develop into great players. I was able to run into TDW while on a trip in Chicago and I’m glad I was able to meet him, only person I’ve met from SHL.

<div align="center">Shl Statistics Shl </div>

Laflamme has put up solid numbers throughout his career. He was named a SHL Top 100 player from S24 to S36, 13 straight seasons, ranking as high as #14 in S30. Pierre-Luc Laflamme finishes his career having played in 956 Regular Season games in addition to numerous others between SHL playoffs, SMJHL Regular Season and Playoffs, and IIHF games. He spent 1 season in juniors with the Vancouver Whalers, 8 seasons with the Toronto North Stars, 1 with West Kendall Platoon, and 10 with the Calgary Dragons. He is hanging up the skates with 591 regular season points, which places him at 40th All-Time in points. He got there by scoring 244 goals, with 14 straight seasons with at least 10 goals. He ends with 347 assists, with a season high of 27 in S25, S26, S28, S29 and S32. PLL was a positive +/- player in 13 of his 19 seasons and won 2 Challenge Cups. I don't know for sure whether these numbers are HOF worthy but I would imagine and hope so!

You can see a breakdown of PLL’s career here:
Laflamme Career Stats

My drop-down sig is fully up-to-date as well with all information.

I’ll basically be inactive from this point forward, aside from the occasional random check-in. The SHL was good to me and actually led me into the sim world. I managed and won with the St. Louis Storm in the NABA @pizzarony, Xavier Hawkins had a good career in the SBA, and Jordan Maverick won a championship in the VHL. Thanks to everyone that has been cool to me along the way, especially @Bonk, @JackCross, @GCool, @[NUCK 2.0], @mpc, @STZ, @wikiplaysgames and everyone previously tagged in this article. Some leaving thoughts: Some things I really enjoyed was learning how to do graphics (poorly via GIMP but still), making media, being a head coach and making lines, listening to the Big Slappy Hour and checking out other’s great media also. The one’s that had cool stats, took their time, you know what I mean…

Anyway, here we are 7000+ posts and 3.5 years later. It's been a pleasure. Thank you everyone for everything.

<div align="center">[Image: giphy.gif]
A goodbye frome me to anyone and everyone that has been cool to me in the SHL</div>
<div align="center">
- Pierre-Luc Laflamme / Dan Moushey
Stars Platoon Dragons Whalers Mammoths Czechoslovakia
</div>

- Ace - 05-08-2018

Great career. Hopefully you can get back into the activity swing of things here with the SHL again in the future.

Could someone be so kind as to fix my tags? or tell me what I did wrong...

- DeletedAtUserRequest - 05-08-2018

It was a real pleasure to call you a team mate for 4 seasons PLL... great career, great Dragon, great team mate .... best of luck to you in retirement.

Dragonite Dragonite Dragonite Dragonite

- thedangazone - 05-08-2018

Only got to play with you a few seasons man but they were great. Gonna miss sharing a blue line with you like we did my rookie season. Best of luck Dragonite

- Thunder39 - 05-08-2018

Congrats on a great career PLL! #dragonforlife! Dragons Dragonite

- Insayne - 05-08-2018

Quote:Originally posted by Dmoushey_31@May 8 2018, 05:28 PM
Could someone be so kind as to fix my tags? or tell me what I did wrong...
Drop the [ ] unless it's a 2 word name

Congrats on a great career! Happy to help get you that 2nd cup! Dragons

- Jala - 05-08-2018

You're a great dude and I'm glad you found success with your players. Best of luck in everything, maybe you'll come back one day.

Quote:Originally posted by Insayne@May 8 2018, 04:48 PM

Drop the [ ] unless it's a 2 word name

Congrats on a great career! Happy to help get you that 2nd cup!&nbsp; Dragons

It wont workkk Undecided figures.

Thanks though

- Insayne - 05-08-2018

<a href='index.php?showuser=78' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Wasty</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=9' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-54'>raymond3000</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=1257' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Narconis</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=1157' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-14'>.bojo</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=328' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>JNH</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=1237' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-59'>Count Chocula</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=21' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Brandon</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=711' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Nike</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=1286' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>r1c3bowl22</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=1643' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Ballerstorm</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=171' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Wongy</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=1487' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Alex Mack</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=2310' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-10'>JKortesi81</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=2397' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>Samee</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=1119' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-63'>artermis</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=81' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-13'>c00kies</a>
<a href='index.php?showuser=74' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Tylar</a>

Scroll up

- Steelhead77 - 05-08-2018

I tried to go in and fix your tags but still wouldn't work... Hopefully everyone reads this because it was a truly great send off!

As your GM for 9 seasons I can happily say you were without questions one of the best members I have ever had on the team. It was truly a pleasure and I can't thank you enough for coming to Calgary and adding so much to the Dragons experience. You had an awesome player, but what really separated you was what a good quality person you are. Always positive, always team first, always willing to do anything to help the team win, including switching to defense to help us fill a team need and spending your hard earned money to do it.

I was so happy we could win your first cup together, you deserved it so much and it was an experience I will never forget. I'm also happy we could send you into retirement with your 2nd cup! What a way to end a truly awesome career!

PLL also won the in-house Jesster Award for Dragons MVP in season 32, the same season we won the cup. I think you also led the team in scoring that year. You were always a great player for us and we loved having you on the team.

I can't say enough good things, so I'll stop there but thanks for everything my friend, truly great career for a truly great person. My experience here has been enhanced by knowing you. Thank you and all the best in life, stop back and see us!

:wub:

Dragons

- Cynthia - 05-08-2018

Great career! <a href='index.php?showuser=1453' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Dmoushey_31</a> I loved playing with you and I wish we could have played together longer

- sash - 05-08-2018

absolutely legendary. was a pleasure having you on the czech squad, i hope your next guy comes around to the czech aswell!

- enigmatic - 05-08-2018

Congrats on the great career. I wish we would've won together on WKP but it's great you were able to get two with Calgary Cheers

- r1c3bowl22 - 05-08-2018

It was great being on your team when we were on WKP together. TOONZA

<a href='index.php?showuser=1453' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Dmoushey_31</a>