Simulation Hockey League
Build Similarity Score - Printable Version

+- Simulation Hockey League (https://simulationhockey.com)
+-- Forum: League Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=610)
+--- Forum: SHL Media (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://simulationhockey.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=545)
+---- Thread: Build Similarity Score (/showthread.php?tid=86855)

Pages: 1 2

- ckroyal92 - 06-20-2018

Have you ever wondered whose build is most similar to your own? Well, here's your chance to find out. Introducing Build Similarity Score.

What I've done here is compile every player's build, both SHL & SMJHL, along with a full list of player types to determine starting builds & weaknesses to account for the extra TPE it takes to improve those attributes. Now there are a couple ways you could go about determining similarity between builds. You could choose to compare them strictly based on the total number of TPE applied to each attribute, or you could compare them based on the percentage of total TPE spent on each attribute. In geometric terms, similarity is essentially defined as proportional, so I went with the latter for my calculations.

I have a sheet prepared for all of this, which I'll add at the end of this article (fair warning, it does have some bugs), but if yo'd like to do the calculations on you own, here's what you'll need to do:

If both players have the exact same percentage applied to a particular attribute, they get a perfect score of 1. Most common examples of this are in things like fighting, faceoffs or penalty shots, categories most people won't touch until later in their careers.

If the two players do not have the same percentage, take the lower percentage divided by the higher to determine the component score for that attribute. The reason I do it this way is to assure that both players get the same total either way they're compared.

Once you've gone through every attribute, take the average of all component scores & multiply by 100. The number you get from that is your Build Similarity Score.

I'll go through a couple examples to show you what kind of numbers you can expect.

Since it's my article, the first player I tested was my own, Cory Knouse. Honestly, I was surprised by how low most of the numbers were for this one, but I guess when you consider I've got at least a few TPE in everything except fighting, you're gonna come up with a few zeros.

The top 5 builds most similar to my own are:

5) Ben Dover Steelhawks - 73.8
A defenseman? Ok, so maybe my system's not perfect, but as prototype's go I think this is a nice place to start. Like I said before, with high TPE comes spending in obscure places, regardless of position.

4) Kevin Hamilton Stampede - 73.9
Well on his way to becoming a high TPE player, but after his recent blowup we'll see if that continues. He's got a little in everything, including fighting, so that zero hurts a little, but still a solid comp.

3) DeMaricus Smyth Riot - 74.3
Another young player on the right track to becoming a solid SHLer. The biggest difference between he & Hamilton, no fighting. (Yes, I still mean the player)

2) Toivo Kosonen Wolfpack - 77.8
Another one like Dover, Toivo's a high TPE d-man with TPE in a little bit of everything, even faceoffs. A little peculiar, but hey where else is he supposed to put it?

1) Mikko Linna Platoon - 83.1
Go figure, the first person that took a chance on me almost 2 years ago. Same 3 strengths, all maxed out & nothing in fighting. This one makes a lot of sense.

For my 2nd test, let's go with a slightly less diverse player who just so happens to be my GM as well, Nikolaus Scholz. His top 5 in BSS:

5) Dwight Halpert Falcons - 87.2
4) Oliver Konig Steelhawks - 87.6
3) Michael O'Dowd Riot - 89.0
T1) James Jamason Raptors - 89.5
T1) Viktor Kare-Akesson Firebirds - 89.5

See what happens when you've got a guy with nothing in checking, fighting OR penalty shots? The numbers skyrocket. In fact, Scholz had a whopping 19 players score higher than my max of 83.1.

Now don't worry, I didn't forget about all you goalies out there. For my example here, I'll use the man who drafted me, who I've played in front of my entire SHL career & who continues to be the gold standard for all things related to stopping the puck. I'm talking of course about Michael McFadden. Even 4 seasons into regression, he's still completely maxed out, so you're probably gonna see a similar trend that you did with mine up above. McFadden's top 5 are:

5) Patrick Diehl Blizzard - 69.2
4) Charlotta Caspari Chiefs - 72.2
3) Jason Aittokallio Rage - 77.3
2) Steven Moore Stars - 80.1
1) Jeff Kirkstone Stars - 85.1

Ok so goalies are a bit more random, probably because there's less creativity & individuality to their builds. Nonetheless, the numbers are what they are.

Now for the spreadsheet I mentioned earlier, it can be found HERE. I will warn you that it takes a bit to load it all, but it will eventually fill everything in. If you want to do your own testing, just copy the whole thing & plug your player name into the Test tab. If you want to adjust ratings to reflect future updates, you can do that in the Current tab, but I strongly suggest you don't touch anything outside of those two.

Thanks for reading guys, hope you enjoyed this.

Code:
857 words, 31,970 cells in the sheet & ~120 lines of custom script that I'd be more than happy to provide if need be

- Grapehead - 06-20-2018

this is sick dude!

<a href='index.php?showuser=11' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-3'>Abdeezy</a> looks like I copied you

- Beaver - 06-20-2018

This is awesome and that is a fucking beast of a spreadsheet. Watching the numbers slowly load is kind of hilarious.

Hope you get a fat bonus for this.

- Beaver - 06-20-2018

[Image: YN1qFa3.png]

I'm okay with this.

- Boomcheck - 06-20-2018

Give him all the money

- kckolbe - 06-20-2018

Quote:Originally posted by ckroyal92@Jun 20 2018, 04:00 PM

4) Kevin Hamilton Stampede - 73.9
Well on his way to becoming a high TPE player, but after his recent blowup we'll see if that continues. He's got a little in everything, including fighting, so that zero hurts a little, but still a solid comp.

What do you mean "that zero hurts a little?" Also, the blowup didn't affect here or NSFL. I expect I'll continue to earn at a decent rate. Buffalo has some very achievable franchise records.

- ckroyal92 - 06-20-2018

Quote:Originally posted by kckolbe@Jun 20 2018, 09:54 PM

What do you mean "that zero hurts a little?"&nbsp; Also, the blowup didn't affect here or NSFL.&nbsp; I expect I'll continue to earn at a decent rate.&nbsp; Buffalo has some very achievable franchise records.
I have nothing in fighting, so you having anything in there puts a zero in that column.

- GoonerBear - 06-20-2018

With adjustments to my build once I can buy my seasonal TPE redistribution, I plan to move points out of PS and FO into more useful areas.

After adjusting for those, the top 5 I got:

89.4 - Stampede Brynjar Tusk (S31 DFD)
84.9 - Jets Chase Byron (S36 OFD)
84.8 - Panthers James Johnson (S39 TWD)
84.0 - Rage Yuriy Starkonov (S33 PLY)
83.7 - Stars Jasper Clayton (S25 OFD)

Interesting.

- WannabeFinn - 06-20-2018

Quote:Originally posted by GoonerBear@Jun 20 2018, 10:18 PM
With adjustments to my build once I can buy my seasonal TPE redistribution, I plan to move points out of PS and FO into more useful areas.

After adjusting for those, the top 5 I got:

89.4 - Stampede Brynjar Tusk (S31 DFD)
84.9 - Jets Chase Byron (S36 OFD)
84.8 - Panthers James Johnson (S39 TWD)
84.0 - Rage Yuriy Starkonov (S33 PLY)
83.7 - Stars Jasper Clayton (S25 OFD)

Interesting.
Yuriy Starkonov :lol:

- CptSquall - 06-21-2018

How do i run the test?

- GoonerBear - 06-21-2018

Quote:Originally posted by CptSquall@Jun 20 2018, 11:58 PM
How do i run the test?

In the original view-only spreadsheet, click on File > Make a Copy, then name it what you want to. Access the copy from your Google Sheets folder.

Next, go into the "Current" tab on the copy and check your player's build. You can run this for the build you have or change your player's build a bit, perhaps the one you will get in the next update. This is the only tab you need to change anything in. For a defenseman like your player, for best results, build like you will redistribute points in unnecessary categories, such as penalty shot and face offs.

Finally, in the "Test" tab, enter your player's name in the top bar where the example name is. The list on the left is for skaters and the right is for goalies.

Once you have finished that, do something else for half an hour at least because this takes a while. Don't forget about it for too long, though.

Also, don't rearrange anything by alphabetical order. Or at all.

- karlssens - 06-21-2018

Impressive stuff ck, really cool to look at. I appreciate you using me in the example too, now I don’t need to test anything Smile

Surprised teodors cukurs isn’t in my top 5 though. Literally copied my build, although he has exceeded the 1250 used and begun to explore new attribute distributions.

- Tomen - 06-21-2018

Some really nice stuff , great work! Towel

- CptSquall - 06-21-2018

Thanks Gooney <a href='index.php?showuser=3009' rel='nofollow' alt='profile link' class='user-tagged mgroup-67'>GoonerBear</a>

- tweedledunn - 06-21-2018

Geronimo Otto's Top 5

Jean-Luc Reflieux 87.6
Zach Evans 86.3
Viktor Vorkampfer 86.3
Teodors Cukurs 83.2
Wuma Duce 82.8

Cheers